Change brake fluid?

Old 03-21-2007, 04:06 PM
Top Always Down

Change brake fluid?

I'm due for my 50k-ish service and the owners manual says to change the brake fluid. Never done it on any other car I've had (didn't know the stuff went bad). Should I do it or will my brakes give out on some steep, windy mountain road and I'll be forced to e-brake my way to a death defying stop. I figured you guys know best.
Thanks,
Jimbo
Old 03-21-2007, 04:56 PM
Andiamo Veloce

You can find answers to that and much more here.
Good luck.
S2000 Do-it-yourself mods & repairs - S2000 Atlanta
Old 03-21-2007, 05:09 PM
"Enjoy the drive"

No, your brakes will not stop working on you, but they will not work the way they are designed to. Changing the brake fluid is not that hard, but if you are not comfortable with the 'press and hold' method, take it to a professional. Just a reminder, the S is not bleed like normal cars where you start at the furthest caliper from the reservoir and work your way closer. You start at the closest and work your way away. I am not sure why this is, but I have read about it at S2Ki and also in the Helm's manual.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Top Always Down

WOW! Great link. I'll go there before I ask any dumb questions. Us forum newbies sometimes ask redundant questions and you guys that have been around the block a few times probably get tired of answering the same stuff over & over. I try to locate answers before posting a question, but my forum navigation skills are still in their infancy.
I clcked on "manually changing the brake fluid" and it said "not found." Bummer. I guess it's just best to get'r done.
Thanks,
Jimbo
Old 03-21-2007, 05:35 PM

I first used these ten years ago when doing HPDE's in a Corvette. Changing the brake fluid before every event, 5-6 times a year, got old. This makes it very easy:

Speed Bleeder Bleeding Brakes Bleeding Motorcycle Brakes Automotive Bleeder Screw Brake Bleeder

I now have them on my Mazda Tribute and soon to install on my S2K. You'll want part numbers SB10125 front and rear.

Brake fluid absorbs water, even humidity from the air. Past seals, from the resevoir, etc. That is one thing that makes it go bad. Heat is the other, and brakes generate a lot of heat (its their job to turn the motion energy of the car into heat energy, thus stopping the vehicle).
Old 03-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Top Always Down

Thanks, you answered my question about the stopping juice. So it actually does go bad, the fact that brake fluid is a hydrophilic liquid. Another mystery solved.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Got S2000?

Just did my first brake fluid change with a gravity-bleed at 48k miles, and man, that pedal is SOLID! It was a relatively easy task; seriously...the most difficult part is probably getting the car safely up on the jack stands. As I saw on S2Ki, I started at the passenger front, and worked counter-clockwise from there (finishing at the passenger rear). Contrary to what people have said, it really didn't take that long at all...maybe a little over an hour once the bleeding process actually started. For me, it bled at a pace of about an inch every ten seconds...not bad really. I jacked the front of the car to be slightly higher than the rear, so I'd like to think that made things flow a little easier. I used ATE Blue fluid, which (as advertised) worked out great. Did the clutch too, and still had about a 1/4 of a container left. Highly recommended if you haven't tried it yet...the brake pedal improvement is definitely worth it. The one regret I have is that I wish I had picked up a set of new front pads to install during the job. They're still good for now, but close enough that it would've made sense.
Also, don't over tighten the bleeding nuts, which I'm sure happens to quite a few people...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0980.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	4188   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0982.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	4189   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0985.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	4190  
Old 10-10-2011, 11:25 AM

If the fluid is cloudy or discolored you should change it reguardless of time lapse between changes! Look for the synthetics that do not absorb water!
Old 10-10-2011, 02:31 PM

Preventive Maintenance !
Old 10-10-2011, 04:11 PM
THE STIG

Just looked at mine. Looks a little dark....
Old 10-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Top Always Down

Jeez, one of my newbie posts was resurrected. This one was from when I first joined. Amazing I haven't been banned yet. I could always pop the Speedo pic up again...
Old 10-10-2011, 05:58 PM

I changed mine at 21k miles, back when I put New Lines & Rotors on it !
Old 10-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Got S2000?

I just arbitrarily picked a brake fluid thread to post in. There's a'plenty of 'em!

So, later today I decided to re-bleed the clutch, since it felt like it was grabbing way too low (like, 2 inches off the floor). It was a bit of a pain, as I was by myself, but I decided to take the slave cylinder off and bleed it that way (which I thought would be easier).

Not quite, and after about an hour of frustration and a nice soaking of blue brake fluid into my hands, everything is working well again. I'll pull the slave off again in the near future to polish & regrease that piston...it was just getting too dark to be working under the car! At least now I have a better understanding of how the slave works, etc.

Damn winter solstice
Old 10-11-2011, 05:46 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by Jim21680 View Post
Damn winter solstice
Agreed!