Go Back  S2000 Forums > Technical > Wheels / Tires / Suspension
1st time replacement >

1st time replacement

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bbcricketta

1st time replacement

Old 04-25-2014, 10:41 PM

1st time replacement

I have 25k on my Laguna blue 2008 S. My rears are completely gone. they are essentially bald. My fronts have some tread left but the wearbars are showing. I live in MN and ONLY drive it during the summer, so this will never see snow. My question is whether you think I can go the summer with these OR should I bite the bullet and get new ones?

Personally, I would prefer to drive this until Oct/Nov, store it, then get new tires next spring. I guess my reason is that I don't have $600-$800 lying around.

I don't drive hard. But my only concern is rain. I don't want my wife to take a corner in the rain and have the rear come sliding out.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-26-2014, 01:23 AM
normal aspiration

Originally Posted by Mrteeth View Post
My rears are completely gone. they are essentially bald. My fronts have some tread left but the wearbars are showing.

i think you has essentially answered your own question. do not delay. $600-$800 is nothing compared to a hospital stay, funeral expenses, even the ever present question in the back of your mind every time you go out on those may-pops. get you some tires and peace of mind. you will never make it through the summer; and, why would you want to? this car is meant to be driven, and you need good rubber to do so. do not hesitate.

yours,

bb

think of it this way: you have a $30,000 car that was born to raise hell. it should be equipped to do so. otherwise, you are just cheating yourself. it is dangerous as hell to have a car like your laguna and run baloney skins. there, i said it. get thee to a tire store or tire rack.

you let your wife drive your laguna?
joo lee likes this.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:00 AM
Resident Vigilante

+1
Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post
i think you has essentially answered your own question. do not delay. $600-$800 is nothing compared to a hospital stay, funeral expenses, even the ever present question in the back of your mind every time you go out on those may-pops. get you some tires and peace of mind. you will never make it through the summer; and, why would you want to? this car is meant to be driven, and you need good rubber to do so. do not hesitate.

yours,

bb

+1 think of it this way: you have a $30,000 car that was born to raise hell. it should be equipped to do so. otherwise, you are just cheating yourself. it is dangerous as hell to have a car like your laguna and run baloney skins. there, i said it. get thee to a tire store or tire rack.

you let your wife drive your laguna?
Old 04-26-2014, 10:28 AM
THE STIG

I agree with the above. Don't take the chance and get some new rubbers!
Old 04-26-2014, 09:47 PM
mlc

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you are going to put your wife in an S2000 with bald rear tires?????

Tires are not something to play with on this car. On my Passat, sure another month is fine but not an S2000.

How about you buy her the fronts and she buys you the rears .
Old 04-26-2014, 11:18 PM

OK...new tires it is. You guys sold me. So now I go on Tire Rack and I see a lot of choices. But upon checking reviews and prices...the one I like the most is the:

Continental Extreme Contact DW

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....0&autoModClar=

Anyone have any report on these?
Old 04-26-2014, 11:50 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

I agree with all the above. Over the 2 years I have been on the S forums, I have seen tons of posts with guys starting the crash story with yours. You don't have the $ now? Do you have $ for the deductible? I was asking JJ (Java Junky) about tires last fall. My DZ 101 were just above the wear bar then and I wanted to go on a drive.This is his reply:

'Wouldn't wanna get out in anything too wet with those, but they pass muster.
For now.
Pilot Super Sport . . I'm winging it on them as I'm unfamiliar with them . . but Pilot says Michelin, yes? Anything Michelin says overpriced (I can see you cringing from the monitor at that word like ol' Drac from a crucifix).
Get past the "Pilot" name flyboy.
And, as I've already said: the RE-11's handle water better than any tire I've ever driven in the wet.
I've had Michelins, but, we're talking about back when they first introduced the radial . . and even back then I eventually switched everybody over to the Sears version, which were heavier, but they all got shaved anyway.

And Stewie owners are always replacing rears without doing the fronts as Stewie wears rears twice as fast as fronts.
Also: "spirited" driving in the dry with Stewie for the inattentive is a recipe for inevitable disaster.
In the rain, Stewie doesn't need "spirited" driving to have you looking out of the roadside flora.
They disregarded the average American driver when mother Honda's boys were given the task of building her a sportscar.
In the dry Stewie's cutting edge handling demands continuous attention.
In the wet?
All I can say is that I'll take all the help I can get, and that translates (to me anyway) as the best hoops that I can put on the car.
I may bust your 'nads and call you cheap (which I may stop as you enjoy it too much), but I'll never call you stupid.
I do enjoy offering up my two cents, but I know that you know which side is up.
(Um-m-m-m-m . . . which side IS up?)
Old 04-27-2014, 06:58 AM
normal aspiration

Anyone have any report on these?
i don't know a thing about them but from your driving description, they will probably serve you well. they will be way more better than what you are driving on currently.

as for JJ: he was full of wisdom (among other substances*) and always spoke pearls; or least most always. he is still sorely missed and reading his comments makes me remember him fondly.

bb

Last edited by bbcricketta; 04-27-2014 at 07:54 AM. Reason: *at least one of those substances was rum.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:00 AM

Words of wisdom from are members, GET NEW TIRES! BTW I just got a set of four DZ102's (205/55/R16) for my CR-Z on Tire Rack for $310 and installed for $11 each. Can't beat that.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:08 AM
Blue Barchetta

Yep. The S hydroplanes in no time with bald tires. First hand experience, and extremely lucky here. Don't mess tires, get new ones. Since you're not a hard driver, I'm sure the Continentals you posted would be fine.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:12 AM
Blue Barchetta

^ Oh wait... 19" rims?
Old 07-13-2014, 05:13 PM

I wanted to give you guys an update. I replaced the rears with Continentals Contact ExtremeContact DW. The fronts has some tread on it so I will replace them in a month. But upon driving, I noticed it felt very squirmished. Now, I could understand if I replaced the fronts only, I would get this sensation. But I replaced the rears, which is used to 'push' the car. The front still steers. But when I'm driving, it feels like I'm all over the place. Are the two brands that different in terms of speed ratings? I plan to take it back to Discount Tire tomorrow and have them look at it. I do plan to replace the fronts soon. Maybe these tires are softer than the OEs. Maybe they don't handle as well. Because of the more aggressive tread, I'm losing some lateral mobility. Could that explain why it's so squirmish on the road? It feels totally difference. That's all I know. It drives worse now. When I had bald tires on the rear, at least it felt predictable. Now, I just have to take it easy until the fronts are replaced. So far....disappointed in my choice.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:27 PM
EYECELLEM

So, did you mix tires on the front and rear axles? Last year I replaced the rear Bridgestones with oem RE 050's since the fronts had plenty of tread left in 'em. I had that "squirmy" feel you mentioned even tho I stayed with oem's. It went away after the rears broke in. But....if you running mixed front and rear...I dunno.........on a car like the S you don't want to skimp on tires.

Last edited by Glenn1; 07-13-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:04 PM
normal aspiration

i am assuming that you had the tires balanced when they were put on. it may be your air pressure. check that all four are at 32 psi, cold, give her a whirl and report back. i have had more than one tire place fill my tires incorrectly.

are you running 19" tires. in that case all bets are off.

i just put new michelins on my camry. on the old, old michie pay-pops i was running, the GPS would show that i was running 55 mph when the speedo showed i was running 57 mph. the new tires and the speedo are calibrated in sync. she drives like a different car. new tires can make a big difference.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:53 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

After all the above suggestions have been addressed (psi etc) does the squeamishness occur under power? While (Whilst) accelerating briskly on a turn and you shift?
Old 07-13-2014, 10:33 PM

I will check air pressure but if it was low id figure the light would be on. As for the balance...its not shaking at high speeds.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:04 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

I will check air pressure but if it was low id figure the light would be on. As for the balance...its not shaking at high speeds.
The tire pressure is probably high, not low. I had the same problem when I replaced all of my tires. Felt like a ton of torque steer. When I checked the tire pressure (cold), it was 45 lbs. Way over recommended pressure.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:41 AM
normal aspiration

I've never run mixed tires but have run new rears with old fronts and never had a problem. the only time i've had that squirmy WTF feel is when a tire was low. the S2000 should always feel firmly planted unless you break traction. it feels like it's on rails, man!

Originally Posted by kgf3076 View Post
The tire pressure is probably high, not low. I had the same problem when I replaced all of my tires. Felt like a ton of torque steer. When I checked the tire pressure (cold), it was 45 lbs. Way over recommended pressure.
gots to get you a tire pressure gauge and use it. those tire shops are notorious about getting the psi wrong. i would not depend on a TPMS at all--not saying it's not good to have but there is nothing that beats checking the pressure yourself.

checking the tires seems like a pia but it only takes a minute and if a tire is low it can save $$$ and maybe your a r s e.

tire pressure is like any other maintenance item on a car. if you do it yourself, you know it was done right (that is if you did it right.)
Old 07-14-2014, 06:57 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post
gots to get you a tire pressure gauge and use it. those tire shops are notorious about getting the psi wrong.
Have a digital and an analog. Both calibrated, use both (depending on mood). I always check first thing in the morning when I plan on driving the car. Coming from the tire shop, mid-afternoon, 90 degrees, not primo for checking. Noticed problem on way home, checked then, let car sit overnight and then checked in the a.m. Hmmm, 42 lbs is a bit much.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:50 PM

Nope...not the air pressure. Fronts were 30/31....rears were 34/34. Both are W-rated tires, so I'm at a lost. I used to be in the tire business, but that was over 10 years ago. I know you don't run mix speeds, especially on a hi perf car.

Like I mentioned before, if I had W rated rears and H rated fronts, then I can understand the squirmish feeling. I could also understand if I put the Contis in front, that would have a bit of squish to it because of new tread and more grooves/sipes. But the fronts are stock. How can it feel this way?

Weird. I'll go see the pros tomorrow.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:34 PM
just havin' fun

Sorry, I have no idea why your S is doing what it is doing. I can tell you what my set up is with my DW's. I run 225-45/17 up front with 32 psi. Out back I am running 275-40/17 with 25 psi and the car has a perfect balance. I must note that I am also running coilovers and she is corner balanced. I run this set up on some open track days without any problems. The DW's work great until they get old, (one year after they are put to use), and harden up. Then they tend to let go when pushed hard . I like them well enough that I have had 3 sets on my S.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:26 PM

Well Discount Tire didn't have an answer. They told me to call Tire Rack. So let the blame game begin. First, he told me it was air pressured. I told him I checked. Air is fine for F and R. Then he said people complained about the DWS tires all the time....and that I should have checked the reviews. Well I've read the reviews. ALl of them said good things about this tire...including many on here. So now, I have to call Tire Rack and see what's going on. Who will end up providing the right answers? Stay tuned.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:56 PM
just havin' fun

One thing you may want to do is to have a 4 wheel aliment. Cant hurt and may take care of the problem. I also had a set of the DWS's on my wife's volvo S60R and lasted her almost 30K before we sold the car. The tires never gave us a problem. So I have owned both the DW's and the DWS's and they both performed well.

Last edited by will williams; 07-15-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:02 PM
just havin' fun

Also, you may have a defected tire. That has happened to me once or twice over the years, even on race tires.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:37 PM

I ended up returning the Continentals. I didn't want to mess with It. Discount tires were blaming the tires as well. I will never recommend them based on my nightmarish example. Ended up going with Bridgestones 760s on all corners. It drives much better.

Had to pay again to get the tires mounted but I got my car back driving like it should.