Replace Rear Tires Only or all 4? - S2000 Forums

Go Back  S2000 Forums > Technical > Wheels / Tires / Suspension
Replace Rear Tires Only or all 4? >

Replace Rear Tires Only or all 4?

Old 02-26-2014, 08:22 AM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

I understand this time of the year many will put snow tires/all season tires on but I do not fall in that camp. I will only be a summer performance (have not tracked yet) kind of guy here in mountain 2 lane roads of northern California.

The new Drizzles my car came with have performed well IMO but 12K miles has taken its toll and the rears are approaching the wear bars. The fronts are in much better condition.

Should I just replace the rears (thinking of Pilots) and drive with that mixed set? Should I just replace all four ($$$) for some benefit I am unaware?

JJ told me last fall that people mix tires all the time; he is the only one who said that.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-26-2014, 08:54 AM

I have mixed (summer) tires on a set of 16's I have. I don't notice much of a difference from a same set.

Last edited by phins2rt; 02-26-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:03 AM
House of CR.

You've obviously enjoyed the Dunlop's, I wouldn't mix extreme performance summer tires with all season tires. Unless, it were a temporary measure. They have a too dissimilar level of grip, so as long as you stay within similar ratings you are fine. Cos, you could replace all four and sell the front two to off set the cost. The new Direzza 2's are far better than the original Dunlop's, and well worth the added "fun factor" for your S.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:10 AM
Blue Barchetta

I swap the fronts every other time I replace the rears, and always run performance tires (tho may change brands.) Works out ok for me, but I do tend to push the front on sharp cornering from time to time (street only.)
Old 02-26-2014, 09:20 AM
normal aspiration

12,000 miles on a set of summer performance tires and you have probably gotten your moneys worth. i have been getting about that on my AD08s from Yokahoma. when the second set of rears gets thin i replace all four. if'in i was you, i would just get two new Direzzas for the rear and when those expire retire with whatever i wanted. i considered StarSpecs but got sold into the Advans. i have been happy; i am on my second set. i have not yet considered what my next set of tires will be.

snow tires: not if i can help it; i would have to move and i don't see that event in my future, but ya never know.

all season tires; yes, for the camry (michelin hydroedge), highlander (michelin LTX) or silverado(toyo open country)--not enough performance there to qualify for sticky-stickies.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:28 AM
EYECELLEM

I replaced the original rear Bridgestone RE 050's around 18k miles, the fronts looked good for another 18k. Weren't cheap at $240 each at the Tirerack.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:37 PM

i put bf goodrich sport comp love them!!!
Old 02-26-2014, 04:30 PM

I run Toyo R888 (245 front/255 rear on a bored/square OEM wheel set) The rears only give me about 9,000 miles while the fronts stretch to 16,000. So, I replace the rears at about twice the rate of front replacement without any detectable issues. Before the R888 I ran the Toyo RA-1 and got about the same results. The combined mileage using this approach is nearly 70,000.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:55 PM

I see the same 2 to 1 wear on the rears. Looking for a new pair of RE11's for the rear this summer. I found a better deal at Costco than Tire Rack and they have a good road hazard warranty as well as free rotate and balance.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:08 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Thanks for all the input guys. Guess I could do the rears and then when they go, do all fours with something new, perhaps. I see a lot of the same kind being replaced; the Dunlops have changed, would Pilots be a bit goofy in combination as they are almost the same price as ZIIs?
Old 02-27-2014, 10:08 AM
normal aspiration

if ya got money to burn just get 4 new tires of your sticky-sticky choice. no need to throw out good tires in my book. just get some rears for now; make sure they are comparable in performance and grip as your fronts. goofy? who will know unless you tell them? and why would it be goofy anyway? there is a range of prices for what you need and you is pilot of large aircraft and makes the bigbucks anywho. i do not like to skimp on tires as those 4 little patches are all you got between you and the asphalt. when the new rears wear out, get 4 new stickies of your choice.

disclaimer: this is only intended as my thoughts and not to be considered advice or intent to influence cosmo's decision in anyway.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...=50000&tab=All
Old 02-27-2014, 11:02 AM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post
if ya got money to burn just get 4 new tires of your sticky-sticky choice. and you is pilot of large aircraft and makes the bigbucks anywho.

i do not like to skimp on tires as those 4 little patches are all you got between you and the asphalt.
My wife is still on the floor howling at the "big buck" comment. You would be amazed at what a company's bankruptcy will do to your paycheck and elimination of your retirement. Thank God I have been saving all my life.

I don't like to skimp either. Good brakes, good tires, the best cable for carrier arrested landings too!

I don't want to waste $ however, if I don't need to spend it, I won't.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:57 PM
normal aspiration

Originally Posted by cosmomiller View Post
My wife is still on the floor howling at the "big buck" comment. You would be amazed at what a company's bankruptcy will do to your paycheck and elimination of your retirement. Thank God I have been saving all my life.

my wife worked for an airline owned company that was sold. first thing the predators did when they took over was cut out the defined benefit pensions. cutthroat psychopaths.

I don't like to skimp either. Good brakes, good tires, the best cable for carrier arrested landings too!

re those cables for the arrested landings: doesn't it make you feel all warm and fuzzy that they are provided by the lowest bidder?

I don't want to waste $ however, if I don't need to spend it, I won't.

a penny saved is a penny earned.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:58 PM
'06 S2k

I replace my tires when they wear out. On the S in over 80k miles I've only bought 4 tires once. Like someone said "why throw away good tires" just replace the front or rear tires when needed. Hell, I even flip my tires. I try to get my money's worth out of them.

ROD
Old 02-27-2014, 05:11 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

[QUOTE=bbcricketta;238383]re those cables for the arrested landings: doesn't it make you feel all warm and fuzzy that they are provided by the lowest bidder?/QUOTE]

That is a popular comment but really the bottom line is the stuff has to meet Milspec and that can be a pretty tough standard.
On a subjective level, the cable is pretty impressively massive. You can kick it and stand on it and it will not move one millimeter. Every hundred landings they unhook the cable, throw it over the side and replace it. (There are four cables/arresting engines on deck)
Originally Posted by rrounds View Post
I replace my tires when they wear out. On the S in over 80k miles I've only bought 4 tires once. Like someone said "why throw away good tires" just replace the front or rear tires when needed. Hell, I even flip my tires. I try to get my money's worth out of them.

ROD
Well, then, guess I will try the Pilots on the rear. If Michelin named them anything else I would try the new Drizzles.

Last edited by cosmomiller; 02-27-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:33 AM
normal aspiration

Every hundred landings they unhook the cable, throw it over the side and replace it. (There are four cables/arresting engines on deck)

why they do that? i would save it, take it home, load it in the pickup and takes it to the junk monkey. big $$$.

Well, then, guess I will try the Pilots on the rear. If Michelin named them anything else I would try the new Drizzles.

i was afraid that you had been taken in by that advertising propaganda. might as well be reading stuff from pravda or tass.

(j/k Pilots are good tires.)
Old 02-28-2014, 08:00 AM

That is a popular comment but really the bottom line is the stuff has to meet Milspec and that can be a pretty tough standard.
On a subjective level, the cable is pretty impressively massive. You can kick it and stand on it and it will not move one millimeter. Every hundred landings they unhook the cable, throw it over the side and replace it. (There are four cables/arresting engines on deck)
I met one of the landing gear guys in Chu Lai who worked on the MAGOLS system there. One day when I came off of perimeter, he let me hang around with him in the shack while they were taking in a few A4 Skyhawk flights. Holy screaming **** that arresting gear is highly impressive stuff. I think that I had my mouth open for the whole first hour.

Edit: MAGOLS is Maring Arresting Gear Optical Landing System

Last edited by L8Apex; 02-28-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:05 AM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

[QUOTE=bbcricketta;238397]why they do that? i would save it, take it home, load it in the pickup and takes it to the junk monkey. big $$$./QUOTE]

You sir, are not familiar with how OPTAR works! Besides, when something becomes trash, its over the side. I mean everything (sometimes bodies or what is left of them) goes over the side. Where can you store extraneous stuff? Its a combat ship. I have found the ship from following the trash trail.

[QUOTE=bbcricketta;238397] was afraid that you had been taken in by that advertising propaganda. might as well be reading stuff from pravda or tass./QUOTE]

C'mon, how can I pass on a tire called "Pilot"? (Yeah I know its a French/Frog liberal company)

Consumer Report did the latest review I could find and it was top ranked all the way around. When I price it, its only about $15 more a tire. I have been very pleased with Michelins over the years. Maybe some of it is hype but it is a solid tire. I have had some off brand crap tires. Not for this old goat anymore.

Last edited by cosmomiller; 02-28-2014 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:10 AM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Originally Posted by L8Apex View Post
I met one of the landing gear guys in Chu Lai who worked on the MAGOLS system there. One day when I came off of perimeter, he let me hang around with him in the shack while they were taking in a few A4 Skyhawk flights. Holy screaming **** that arresting gear is highly impressive stuff. I think that I had my mouth open for the whole first hour.

Edit: MAGOLS is Maring Arresting Gear Optical Landing System
It is impressive. Its very cool to go down below and see the arresting engines and catapult stuff. The new catapults are magnetic/ no steam.

Our end speed was about 170mph or so. Takes about 1.5 - 2.0 seconds to get there. Real kick in the pants. Approach is lower. About 150mph and it takes a second to stop.

I flew the A4 Skyhawk too. One great little airplane. You really strapped that plane on when you flew. 720 degrees/second roll rate although fighting the plane air to air was a little like driving a VW in hilly country.

Still amazed I got to do that stuff! Thank you taxpayers for the opportunity to serve you!

Last edited by cosmomiller; 02-28-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:06 AM
normal aspiration

You sir, are not familiar with how OPTAR works! i no nada in re OPTAR; i have heard that the will spend a thousand bucks for a terlit seat and five hunnert bucks for a hammer, and purchase in mass quantity; is OPTAR similar? Besides, when something becomes trash, its over the side. I mean everything (sometimes bodies or what is left of them) goes over the side. Where can you store extraneous stuff? Its a combat ship. expense account goes out the window when it comes to combat--the checkbook is open--i'm familar with that. I have found the ship from following the trash trail. not very green is it, but i suppose that bods are just fish food?
was afraid that you had been taken in by that advertising propaganda. might as well be reading stuff from pravda or tass.
C'mon, how can I pass on a tire called "Pilot"? (Yeah I know its a French/Frog liberal company)

Consumer Report did the latest review I could find and it was top ranked all the way around. When I price it, its only about $15 more a tire. I have been very pleased with Michelins over the years. Maybe some of it is hype but it is a solid tire. I have had some off brand crap tires. Not for this old goat anymore.[/QUOTE]

you will notice in my previous posts in this thread that i make extensive use of michelin tires. i have always had excellent service from their products; i have bought into the hype. they may be frogs but they manufacture next door to me in south kackalacki.

Last edited by bbcricketta; 02-28-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:22 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

they may be frogs but they manufacture next door to me in south kackalacki.[/B]
You made me do some digging. Never heard of "kackalacki" Seems its "Cackalacky" . One theory about “Cackalacky,” suggested by Glenn Hinson at UNC, traces it to “a capella” gospel groups in the American South in the1930s, who used the rhythmic (but apparently meaningless) chant “clanka lanka” in their songs. Learn something new everyday. Grazi mille.

OPTAR is your operating target budget. Think macro vs micro. Your golden toilet seats and Craftsman hammer are the result of legislative oversight and are political in nature; they are MACRO. The amount of $ allotted to units (Ships, squadrons, airwings) are MICRO and used by operators like a wife on a budget with one big exception: Sometimes if you don't use all the $, Dad is going to think you don't need it next year and so will reduce it next time around. This can lead to unnecessary expenditure as you will look for a creative way to spend it. On the other hand, if you used up a bit more than scheduled, you may not get any more and your operation come to a grinding halt. Its a real balance. It is feast or famine for aviators as the end of the budget year means you are either cooling your heels on the ground or you are flying your *** off which is what any naval aviator really wants to be doing.

"not very green is it, but i suppose that bods are just fish food?"

Funny you mention green. Some nights you can also follow the ship(s) from the green trail of phosphorescence that the ship's screws churned up. Very cool. I mention visual locating abilities as the Naval Aviation likes to operate without emitting any radiation. No radios, no electronic navigation, nothing. Its all done (in decent weather) visually and internally. Entire launches and recoveries are "zip lip" with radios available but only used if safety requires it.

So much stuff goes to the bottom and never surfaces again. Ocean is damn big and deep. Ocean mud is actually very sticky and little stuff migrates the way it may in terra firma earth. Usually what happens on the bottom, stays on the bottom.

Last edited by cosmomiller; 02-28-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:15 PM

Bringing back a thread from 2014, but looking at mixing brands and wondered if anyone has any updates.
Have been running Bridgestone RE 11 all round for about 14k miles and have really loved them. Of course as it always goes, the backs are done and the fronts are still in good shape. When going to replace the rears, after trying several shops, they don't seem to be available. So am looking at Pilot Super Sports in the back and running the RE 11s on the front. I am a little reluctant, but the cost of 4 of 2 are good is driving my decision.
Any thoughts from experience on this?
Old 04-30-2016, 05:31 PM
Computer Blue

I dont think they make the RE11's anymore. I think the replacements for those are the RE070, but you might want to try the RE71R.

I've also been running different brands front/rear and it's not an issue for DD and the occasional canyon run, but I wouldn't do it on the track. The Hankook RS3's are great and seem to be comparable to the RE11's, but at much better price.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:19 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Well I have not mixed tires before. I have had a set of Super Sports Summer coming up on 2 years. Costco order with $70 off. Out the door, hair, teeth, guts, and eyes was shy of $800 clams (8% sales tax California)
I like them a lot, would do it again. Had DRIIs before. Much better wet traction. Like the handling better especially on the edge in turns. Tried it in the snow one time and traction was nil.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:02 PM
Got S2000?

I've been a Star Spec guy for quite some time now, but may give the RE71R's a shot soon, just for the heck of it (and they're a few bucks cheaper).

I too have mixed tires at one point (for about 10,000 miles), with Star Specs up front and Continental DWS All-Seasons in the rear. The car was definitely more prone to snap oversteer, but that was to be expected with mixing the way I did. However, if you're keeping all 4 as high-performance summer tires, I think you'll be fine with different brands.

It's funny...I've heard very mixed reports about the Pilot Super Sports for our cars. Some think they're great; others think they're lousy. To each their own, I guess.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:04 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Originally Posted by Jim21680 View Post
It's funny...I've heard very mixed reports about the Pilot Super Sports for our cars. Some think they're great; others think they're lousy. To each their own, I guess.
I re-read my post:

" Had DRIIs before. Much better wet traction. Like the handling better especially on the edge in turns. Tried it in the snow one time and traction was nil."

I should have been more clear. The better wet traction and handling was associated with the Pilot Super Sports, NOT the DRIIs.

I will replace the SSs with the same tire. Love 'em despite the price.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:13 PM

Thanks for the info. I believe that I will order the Super Sports tomorrow. Today, May 1, has been my traditional launch date for the season. It fell on a Sunday and I didn't make the call for insurance on Friday, so looks like it will be Tuesday before I'm on the road again. The beauty of the 6 month hibernation is that it is like getting new car every spring. But I still envy you guys in the milder climates that get the year round.