Issues after alignment and new rear tires... - S2000 Forums

Go Back  S2000 Forums > Technical > Wheels / Tires / Suspension
Issues after alignment and new rear tires... >

Issues after alignment and new rear tires...

Old 08-02-2012, 12:21 PM

Hey there everyone im new to these forums and just joined. Im having an issue though. I recently lowered my ap2 on skunk2 lowering springs. the car drove great! felt the same if not better than the factory springs. well the other day i was driving to work and i had a tire blowout, i know it was from the camber and i was just pretty much giving the car a couple weeks to settle with the new springs then i was going to get an alignment. well that changed and i ended up buying two new rear tires. well after i bought the tires i barely drove it that day so i didnt eat up those tires, so the next day i took it in to get it aligned, so i had it done and went to drive it and the car feels completely different. it feels like horrible body roll and when you get on it, its almost hard to keep the car going in a straight line, its wobbly and all over the road...so i took it back and had it redone at a different store and they adjusted it a little bit and it still feels the same. im really worried and im not sure what to do at this point in time. it feels like im driving a suped up honda odessey, lol. so please if anyone could give me some pointers or anything ill answer questions as best as possible. once again thank you!
Old 08-02-2012, 01:58 PM
normal aspiration

why did you take it to a different shop than the one you think funked it up? don't you think they should have made it right? your car and $$$. my alignment guy always drives my car before and after.

why do you have weird camber settings?

are your sure the tires are balanced?

are all the corners of your car the same distance from the ground?

have you got 32 psi in all of your tires?

an S2000 should track like a bullet, straight as a string, and feel like it is on rails. anything less and something is wrong; it's dangerous too.

if this doesn't fix your problem, get back with us.

btw: an odyssey will track true as well.

bb

Last edited by bbcricketta; 08-02-2012 at 02:01 PM. Reason: scratchin' what itches...
Old 05-25-2014, 07:52 PM

I Have the same problem

same thing lowered the car apexi coilovers got wheel spacers and everything my shop told me i needed. got the alignment done had a tire blow out because i let them get bald as **** and was sliding through a corner new tires now i have all pf the same issues you have how did you fix it or did you its really making me want to go back to stock please help me i have a turbo kit ready to install and i cant until i get this issue fixed
Old 05-26-2014, 02:31 AM
Resident Vigilante

Don't know maybe its just me. But, I can't understand why or what the hell it is that makes anyone think they know better how to set up a street driven S2000 than Honda? I'll just say Thank you.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:14 AM

bbcricketta's tips have merit.

If you talk to the really good S2000 autocross drivers, you should find that the maximum drop that they use is 1" to 1". There must be a reason for that, right? My car is dropped 1".

Having reset the drop within the factory and autocross drop, I would then install a straight OEM specification alignment, drive it and adjust in negative camber only until it behaved to my liking. I would not mess with toe and castor unless I were taking the car to the track.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:52 PM
EYECELLEM

I would check my cold tire pressure.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:10 PM
normal aspiration

Originally Posted by Glenn1 View Post
I would check my cold tire pressure.

32 psi all the way around. play with it if you want but 32 is a very good number and starting point.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:52 PM

frustrated

I just noticed the balancing weights fell off one of my rear wheels. I am taking it in tomorrow to get the tires balanced and air pressure checked. Also i do have all season performance tires on the rear. I was broke when my tire blew out and they were on sale, would this make a difference should i get all new summer tires? I got my alignment done ill find the specks and post them for you any info would help me i am really close to just putting back on my stock shocks if that's what it takes for my car to be right again. I am waiting to install my turbo kit until this is fixed!
Old 05-27-2014, 01:52 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by rob06455 View Post
Also i do have all season performance tires on the rear. I was broke when my tire blew out and they were on sale, would this make a difference should i get all new summer tires?
This car is very sensitive to tire types. You bought something that was "on sale" which means they might be two steps above no tires at all.

I got my alignment done ill find the specks and post them for you any info would help me i am really close to just putting back on my stock shocks if that's what it takes for my car to be right again.
I doubt seriously that it's the new shocks (unless you got them "on sale" as well). I don't want to be mean or talk down to you, but this car is not for people who can't afford good tires and good suspension parts.

I am waiting to install my turbo kit until this is fixed!
How long have you had this S2k? My suggestion is that you sell the turbo kit and buy some good tires. The last thing you need is a turbo kit on a car that has lousy tires. My second suggestion is that you drive the car for at least a year before you start doing things to the engine. I seriously doubt that anything that's done to the engine is going to improve what Honda engineers spent years developing.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:41 AM
Resident Vigilante

+1 This is sage advice:

"My suggestion is that you sell the turbo kit and buy some good tires. The last thing you need is a turbo kit on a car that has lousy tires. My second suggestion is that you drive the car for at least a year before you start doing things to the engine. I seriously doubt that anything that's done to the engine is going to improve what Honda engineers spent years developing".
Old 05-28-2014, 11:46 AM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Originally Posted by s2kx2 View Post
+1 This is sage advice:

"My suggestion is that you sell the turbo kit and buy some good tires. The last thing you need is a turbo kit on a car that has lousy tires. My second suggestion is that you drive the car for at least a year before you start doing things to the engine. I seriously doubt that anything that's done to the engine is going to improve what Honda engineers spent years developing".
Sounds good to me too. My only comment (exception) to the above concerning Honda engineers spending years developing does not apply to the sound system.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:15 PM

Honda is not in the sound business.

Jon
Old 05-28-2014, 02:05 PM

And that was inserted after the fact for the 2001 MY if I'm not mistaken. If father Honda was interested in listening to any other music than the engine is making he would have followed your lead, Cosmo, and done the sound deadening/insulation thing. But alas an alac that would have made the car heavier.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by joncallihan View Post
Honda is not in the sound business.

Jon
Only in the sound business of exhaust sounds!
When I am driving the S, the only sounds I wanna hear are the engine and the exhaust! No better music was written!
Old 05-28-2014, 07:48 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

I want more, I want more!
Old 06-01-2014, 10:16 PM

cheap shocks HELL NO

I spent almost 4k on apexi damper system wheel spacers and other parts i needed those shocks cost allot the tires were 250 bucks for 2 rear tires thats cheap to me but i got the issue fixed anyway i did not want to get expensive 800 dollar tires until i bought rims and rolled the fenders.

problem #1 tire pressure was all bad

problem #2 wheels were unbalanced

Problem #3 front inner tire was bald as heck but the outer was not bad at all i have never had a car that i could not rotate the tires on so i did not know to check that

i only have a 1 and 1/4 inch drop my car is not slammed but i would not recommend apexi coilovers to anyone the car turns better for sure but i feel the stock setup is still overall better and im planing on going back to stock
Old 06-02-2014, 03:32 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

I spent almost 4k on apexi damper system wheel spacers and other parts i needed those shocks cost allot the tires were 250 bucks for 2 rear tires thats cheap to me but i got the issue fixed anyway i did not want to get expensive 800 dollar tires until i bought rims and rolled the fenders.

problem #1 tire pressure was all bad

problem #2 wheels were unbalanced

Problem #3 front inner tire was bald as heck but the outer was not bad at all i have never had a car that i could not rotate the tires on so i did not know to check that

i only have a 1 and 1/4 inch drop my car is not slammed but i would not recommend apexi coilovers to anyone the car turns better for sure but i feel the stock setup is still overall better and im planing on going back to stock
A couple of things. The most important one first.
1. Whenever you do anything to ANY car that changes the suspension, you get an alignment.

2. When you change tires, you get the wheels balanced. All of them. Daily driving changes the balance.

3. You always check tire pressure after you do any of the above.

4. Tires are the only thing that keeps the car from falling off the face of the earth. They're your only contact with the ground. You always check them. Visually checking takes about 10 seconds a tire.

5. When you buy tires, you buy tires that are as similar as possible. That means you should buy the same brand, the same type, the same everything. You can spend $800 for 4 tires easily but those tires will be the cheapest insurance you can buy.

6. Learn more than you need to know about the vehicle you drive. People who drive the same car as you do can tell you what they found out about the car. Ask questions, don't be shy. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.

7. I'll give you $20 for those Apexi coil overs. You can keep the spacers, I know what offset I need for the wheels.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:14 PM

Talking thanks

7. I'll give you $20 for those Apexi coil overs. You can keep the spacers, I know what offset I need for the wheels.[/QUOTE]

Trade you the Apexi coil overs for your cr shocks and springs how about that lol

I did get the cars alignment done 5 days after i got the apexi crap installed the shop said i needed to let them settle.

The reason i got the apexi system was because my shop is one of the better ones in the state. They race and drift and he said that's what they use on all of there cars. My plan now is to sell the apexi and the stock ap2 shocks and buy the CR stock system

thank you for all the help everyone and the smart *** comments have a nice day
Old 06-03-2014, 02:09 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

7. I'll give you $20 for those Apexi coil overs. You can keep the spacers, I know what offset I need for the wheels.
Trade you the Apexi coil overs for your cr shocks and springs how about that lol
thank you for all the help everyone and the smart *** comments have a nice day
Both the help and the smart-*** comments are free. The advice is priceless. Give me your address and I'll be happy to send you the CR springs. The shocks you'll have to find.