Suspension. Help me decide

Old 02-11-2012, 07:24 AM
official newb

Suspension. Help me decide

Income tax will be filed today which means i should have a check by the 22nd if all goes well so i have my to-do list.

1) alarm system makes the top of the list
2) change bolts on the seats to make life difficult for thieves
3) eibach front sway bar, maybe back also
4) suspension.... This is where i'm undecided

I was thinking coilovers but i have done a lot of reading and the reviews on systems under a grand are mixed and considering i dont plan on racing i will be going to koni struts and springs. Mjm has the koni's with eibach springs or h&r springs for $774 shipped. Eibach is. 1" drop and h&r is .75 fr and .6 rear, this is what has me undecided. How much drop i can i live with for an everyday driver, i like my suspension firm so i'm ok with the ride, its just the amount of drop and what performs better in the twisty's.

Any advice from your experience would be great.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:07 PM
just havin' fun

Go to the steepest driveway you normally drive into and mearure the gap betweenthe nose of your car and the ground. That is the max drop i would go. Also never forget those parking curbs.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:34 PM
official newb

Well i almost scrape parking curbs already so that is something i will have to adjust to.
I think i have about an inch at the steepest driveway that go through at the moment.
Both of these things i'm not so concerened about because i will be swapping out the front bumper later down the road for something with a lip, even at stock height it scrape hit the parking curbs. So i'm concerened with how it drives.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Party Rock Crew

Originally Posted by will williams View Post
Go to the steepest driveway you normally drive into and mearure the gap betweenthe nose of your car and the ground. That is the max drop i would go. Also never forget those parking curbs.
+1 and dont forget speed bumps...they suck.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:19 PM
official newb

Originally Posted by starrman View Post
+1 and dont forget speed bumps...they suck.
Arrr i hate speed bumps.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Party Rock Crew

I have Buddy Clubs on mine and had them pretty low...and drug on everything, could hear the rear exhaust canister drag on the interstate when you go over a big bump, but I don't know how low it was...I do know that I just raised it about 1/4"... did not help much, but at least the ramp into a parking lot I use everyday does not grind any more.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:58 PM
official newb

I was originally looking at coilovers but the review on setups under a grand were very mixed, the buddy club n are around $980 and they are the better units from what i've read. As you can see from my list (which does not include evrything i must do) i have to stretch my money a bit so decided to just go with koni/spring setup.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Party Rock Crew

Originally Posted by kreapin View Post
I was originally looking at coilovers but the review on setups under a grand were very mixed, the buddy club n are around $980 and they are the better units from what i've read. As you can see from my list (which does not include evrything i must do) i have to stretch my money a bit so decided to just go with koni/spring setup.
Pretty sure you will not be disappointed, Koni has been known for quality for years now. I have also read lots of positive reviews about them on our cars.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:21 PM
official newb

Originally Posted by starrman View Post
Pretty sure you will not be disappointed, Koni has been known for quality for years now. I have also read lots of positive reviews about them on our cars.
Yeh i have used koni adjustables in a few other cars i have owned thru the years, what i'm stuck on is the springs cause of the drop. The s is pretty low as it is and i like eibachs but a 1" drop is what is scaring me, the h&r is not so dramatic. I was also looking at the tanabe springs, a few members here have them and like them.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:09 PM

I've seen Bilstein PSS and PSS9 coilovers for sale recently for $800-900. They have spring rates similar to the CR if I'm not mistaken. Most people who buy them love them. I've had Koni's in the past and loved them also but they don't seem popular for the S2000. I don't really know why. I also saw a set of Tein Flex's for under $1000. New is obviously cool if you have the cash but I've seen some really nice sets for sale in the last six months.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:29 PM
official newb

I just came across a set of megan rs coilovers for $850, if there still there next week i might grab them. Does anybody have experience with these?

http://www.robearracing.com/pd-megan...2000-00-09.cfm
Old 02-12-2012, 09:56 AM
official newb

I just knocked #3 off the list. The sway bars on the 2000-01 are 393 lb/in front and the rear is 427 lb/in which seems to be one of the issues with the car oversteering and the rear kicking out quicker than other years. I found the 08-09 cr edition is 392 lb/in in front and 362 lb/in rear. I was thinking of swapping out the front sway to something bigger but just found a cr edition rear sway for $130 shipped, so thats what i will do. Any thoughts?
Old 02-12-2012, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by kreapin View Post
I just knocked #3 off the list. The sway bars on the 2000-01 are 393 lb/in front and the rear is 427 lb/in which seems to be one of the issues with the car oversteering and the rear kicking out quicker than other years. I found the 08-09 cr edition is 392 lb/in in front and 362 lb/in rear. I was thinking of swapping out the front sway to something bigger but just found a cr edition rear sway for $130 shipped, so thats what i will do. Any thoughts?
I get the feeling that part of that stiffness of the AP1 is because of the toe change during suspension travel. Not only does the early AP1 have the stiffest rear sway bar, but also the rear springs are stiffer than the fronts. I think Honda kept it stiff in back to correct for the geometry, but that's just my opinion. Once Honda changed the rear geometry, the AP2's started running stiffer suspension up front. So what does that tell you? Suspension is like black magic. I'm not saying that Honda had it perfect in all years(heck, they changed the suspension every two years) but there are a lot of factors to think about when making changes.

But don't listen to me...my car is far from stock underneith now.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:43 AM
official newb

The rears springs are a lot stiffer in the rear vs the front, the rates got closer through the years. I'm swapping the suspension also so I guess i will find out if it will work, right now i'm leaning toward the eibach springs with koni struts but still considering the megan rs coilovers cause there right in my budget.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:30 AM

Stock Springs Wanted

I have an 2000 s2K and it has I'm guessing some 2 inch drop springs. Let me know if anyone has some old stock springs.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:43 AM
official newb

jsenclosure Has a listing for a part out.
https://www.s2000.com/forums/parts-f...verything.html

I'll be doing my suspension in the next 2 weeks, if you havent gotten anything i can give you my springs... You pay shipping
Old 02-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Flip-side'a'da coin krea: save'yer hard-earned'n leave'er ridin' on stock suspendaz.
Iff'yer goin' trackin' . . upgrade.
Iff'yer stayin' street: leave'er be. Oddz are'yer neva gonna ova-ride'da abilidiez'a Mother'z supplied suspendaz . . 'n . . dependin' on jus' how much you venture from stock ride height . . . itt'z'a sickenin' feelin' bein'att speed'n seein'n unavoidable bump/pothole/whuddeva comin'a'cha quick on'da big screen.
'Cauze yuh absolutely know'datt yer 'naddz'll be fightin'a get pas' each udda'n crawl back up inside'juh'n when'yuh see'itt comin' . . yuh feel'a pain'z much'z Stewie duzz.
But, diff'ren' strokez, 'n good luck howeva'yuh decide'da go.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:14 PM
official newb

Well i have a dead strut up front and the back doesnt feel very tidy either. Figured change the whole thing and not worry about it for a while.
Did a lot of reading and searching, finally made up my mind to go with fortune auto 500 v3 coilovers. Now i just need to put together a few more bucks and try and get them for under a grand.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:42 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

'Ain't got much choice krea, doo'yuh?
'Swappin'em out'cherself'r gettin'itt done?
Old 02-19-2012, 03:59 PM
official newb

if it was up to me i wouldnt do a damm thing right now

I'm going to a friends shop and we will do it together, I picked up a '09 cr rear sway bar so I'll shove that in also.
After plenty of reading I'm sold on the digressive damper, the only manufacturer in my price range is fortune auto and a lot of people gave them good reviews so I will try them out.