Mismatched Tires

Old 10-10-2011, 07:34 AM

Mismatched Tires

Hello all,

I am the proud new owner of a 2007 S2K! However the car I purchased had the downfall of coming with a brand new pair of continental Pro Contact tires up front and two smoked Pirellis on the back. I know there is a difference in tire size from the front to the back. Iím wondering what you all think about getting something other than Pro-Contacts for the rear? Is this is a good idea? If so what should I get?
Old 10-10-2011, 08:01 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

You're better off getting two more matching tires this go-around (or the alternative, get 4 new tires and get rid of the Continentals). The car is very sensitive to tires.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:20 AM

If I did go the all new tire route what are the best tire for 90% street (spirited driving) 10% track?

I live in San Diego so snow is not a concern and rain is only a minor concern.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:49 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Whut kg said.
'Got lotz'a t'readz about hoopz.
'Eazy way'z'da check wit' TireRack'z people. 'Ey're reliable.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Got S2000?

Fella's, he's lookin' for a straight answer. Quit pokin' him around, will ya?.

Shaddow, depending on your budget, you can go all sorts of routes.

I assume the Pro Contacts are summer tires. So, you could get a pair (any pair) of summer tires, put them on the rear, and drive 10-15,000 miles. By then, they'll be worn out, and the new fronts will at least be worked into. Then, take your pick and go with a new full set of your heart's desire. Like others have said, the car is sensitive to tire mismatches (especially cars with VSA), but as long as you drive with even a hint of sanity, you'll be more than fine.

Well, then or now, there are plenty of good choices for great summer tires.
A few that I'd like to mention are:
Dunlop Z1 Star Specs (which I mentioned first for a reason )
Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Bridgestone RE-11 & 070
Sumitomo HTR-Z III (which get good reviews, and are less than a hundred bucks each, I think).

Many more too. Tire shopping can actually be fun.
Good luck with the car...you found a good group here.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Wuzz'nott!
Kg addressed a safety issue. I seconded'da motion.
'Site'z got beaucoup postz'n t'readz goin' back'n forth z'da people'z opinionz'a whut'z best ('N'att'z without considering anything new that may've recently popped-upp on'da sticky-tire boardz) , if you wanna go over it again, have'add'itt.
But steerin' somebody in'a direction of the 'Rack for tire info . . well . . I can't think'uv'a bedder suggestion.

("Pokin'imm aroun'????????? Sheesh!)
Old 10-10-2011, 01:17 PM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by shaddow View Post
If I did go the all new tire route what are the best tire for 90% street (spirited driving) 10% track?

I live in San Diego so snow is not a concern and rain is only a minor concern.
A lot of people (me included) run Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs. I'm on my second set and I've gotten good tread wear and excellent traction out of both sets.

Last edited by kgf3076; 10-10-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:23 PM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by Jim21680 View Post
Fella's, he's lookin' for a straight answer. Quit pokin' him around, will ya?.
I'm not sure if you've ever run mis-matched tires, but to put a newbie in ANY situation with an unknown (new to him) car with two different types of tires and say go tracking is just a couple of inches this side of terminal idiocy. That the tires will have different traction adhesion properties, different sidewall flex, different tread patterns, different compounds (unless the tires he purchases are from the exact same build lot) and a host of other minor (put you on the run-off lane or into the tire wall) differences. You're entitled to your opinion, but please don't be telling a new S2000 driver that mixing and matching tires is a good thing to do when it could lead to him ending up bent and/or broken.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:41 PM

Thanks for all the input guys. The continentals are actually quite expensive for what they are... I'm tempted to replace all four.

What kind of life can I expect out of the Dunlop Z1 Star Specs ?

Is it common and/or safe to get two sets of rears for one set of fronts?
Old 10-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Got S2000?

I think ya'll missed where I said "drive with a hint of sanity". Believe it or not, you actually can drive an S2000 with 2 different tire types without crashing into a wall and burning to death. But perhaps I missed where the OP said "90% spirited/10% track". (I didn't miss it actually, but I'll say I did to stop the hissy-fits).

So, Shaddow, if you plan on tracking the car, even 10%, get all 4 tires the same. It's the only way the car's gonna do what it does the right way.

One thing you'll quickly realize with the S2000 is that the rear tires wear out about 50% faster than the fronts. So, you'll frequently be in the situation of needing only 2 new tires. You could try a new set of rear Conti's to match up, but if they're expensive and you might be interested in something else, go with all 4 at once.

But I'll say it again, you can get a different tire for the rear, and drive "carefully" (i.e. Not enrolling in the next Gumball 3000) for the next 10-15,000 miles until you're ready for all 4. As I meant earlier, use common sense and you'll be good.

Last edited by Jim21680; 10-10-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Got S2000?

And to answer the question about longevity...

For a summer tire, expect 10-20k for the rears, and 15-25k for the fronts. It's all about how you drive.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Bug Zapper

Originally Posted by Jim21680 View Post
But I'll say it again, you can get a different tire for the rear, and drive "carefully" (i.e. Not enrolling in the next Gumball 3000) for the next 10-15,000 miles until you're ready for all 4. As I meant earlier, use common sense and you'll be good.
I agree with Jim. Its a new car and the OP is going to have to learn how to drive it anyway, no problem to have two different types of tires front to back. Just know that once you do change to 4 of the same it might be a different driving style.

I have had mismatched tires on my car since I bought it. Originally it had some crappy all season tires up front and RE760s on the back, I bought 4 star specs but only mounted the front 2 because the RE760s (that I put on) still had tread. Now that the RE760s are wearing close to the wear bar and its raining again, I will finally have 4 matching tires (good ones from what I hear).

NOT once did my s2000 feel unpredictable. I just drove conservatively until I figured out the new balance between each setup, just like you should when you get new tires anyway. I am going to have to relearn the car once it has 4 star specs on it.

Not everyone has piles of money to throw at their car whenever something isnt perfect. It is misleading to tell the OP that he HAS to have 4 matching tires when it simply isnt true. Just be careful, take time to learn the setup and you will be fine.

And take all internet advice with a grain of salt.

Last edited by Marioshi; 10-10-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

I'll @*#&in' fissy-hitt iff'I wanna!
Old 10-10-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Marioshi View Post
Its a new car and the OP is going to have to learn how to drive it anyway, no problem to have two different types of tires front to back.
I sort of disagree with this. That may be true if the weather stayed the same 100% of the time, but it doesn't. What if your mismatched tires loose grip at different rates as it gets cold. So you learn the cars limits during warm weather and when it gets cold and you end up in the ditch because your car suddenly handled differently than you expected. Or what about in the wet? Different tires handle differently in different conditions. It sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. It might be fine, it might not. Advice usually errors on the side of safety. How many posts have we read about a car getting totalled where the driver says something like "I took the corner fast but no faster than usual". Mismatched tires just make that all the more likely IMHO.

Not everyone has piles of money to throw at their car whenever something isnt perfect. It is misleading to tell the OP that he HAS to have 4 matching tires when it simply isnt true. Just be careful, take time to learn the setup and you will be fine.
I totally agree not everybody has unlimited funds. I can't just dump endless money into my car either. But he said that he needs new rear tires anyway. He was asking for opinions on buying another brand or matching to the tires up front.

My opinion would be "do what you want but if it were ME....I'd put on four matching tires or drive very carefully until then". Shiny side up!

Last edited by Silverstone_Ryan; 10-10-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:12 PM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Thanks for all the input guys. The continentals are actually quite expensive for what they are... I'm tempted to replace all four.

What kind of life can I expect out of the Dunlop Z1 Star Specs ?

Is it common and/or safe to get two sets of rears for one set of fronts?
I got about 14k out of my second set of Dunlops. That also included one Wake The Dragon and one Dragon Ball run so YMMV. I'd try to sell the Continentals and get four of something else.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:10 PM
'06 S2k

I would take a look at these tires
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
What you have now is "Grand Touring All-Season Tire" and that is not the type of tire to use if you want to have fun.
The Continental DW is rated # 2 and is a "Max Performance Summer Tire" and at around $130 they won't empty your wallet.

ROD

Last edited by rrounds; 10-10-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Got S2000?

Ah Ha! Well, that settles it then. Shaddow, you are now in the market for 4 new high-performance summer tires for the S2000. (And you also have 2 all-season tires for sale).

Do your homework, and take your pick. Honestly, you can't go wrong if you stick to what's offered by the Tire Rack. As far as I know, they don't sell junk.

Thank you RR for noticing what we were all too lazy to figure out
Old 10-10-2011, 07:21 PM
just havin' fun

I have the DW's on my s and love them. I have just over a 1000 miles and one 20 min track session on them and would buy them again for my s. A word about the continental's. I have had one set of the DWS's on my wife's Volvo S60r and got over 60k miles on them. Then switched to the DW's and all I can say is that they brought out the beast in that car. However the fronts are worn out with about 17k on them and the rears look about 50% left. My wife wants the DWS's because they are lower cost and last a lot longer.

Update...I just checked the actual miles on the DW's on the front of my wife's car. They have 13k on them with the wear bands starting to show and the rears look like they could go another 10k.

Last edited by will williams; 10-10-2011 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Update
Old 10-10-2011, 07:37 PM
'06 S2k

20k miles is about right for the DW's, and your right about traction if you have it you'll use it(and that is where the fun comes from).

ROD
Old 10-10-2011, 08:08 PM
House of CR.

Personally I don't want a tire with a 340 tread wear rating on my cars. I bought the cars for their handling performance which calls for a tire specifically intended for "spirited" driving. Yes it's a trade off buying sticky tires, by design they aren't going to last as long as the higher tread wear tire, but i guarantee more smiles per mile on 180-200 UTOG tires. Buy a Civic and put those higher tread wear tires on it if you must.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:57 PM
just havin' fun

I agree with Vanishing Point to a point. When it's all said and done pick the tire that best fits your needs. If I drove my S mostly in the So. Cal. Mtns then I would pick a very soft compound tire for max grip and would wear out within a year, (the suns UV rays actually harden the rubber compound on soft tires and after a year of exposure the tire is about worthless). I drive my S about 15k miles on Cal freeways and would like the tires to last about a year.

Last edited by will williams; 10-10-2011 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 10-10-2011, 09:19 PM
'06 S2k

I drive about 32k miles a year mostly on the coast or mountains, but on the "street" the top of the line Max Performance Summer Tire is as good as the "Extreme Performance Summer Tire" on the track its a different story. To much garbage on the street and when it rains Extreme Performance Summer tires suck. I make ok money(you can never make to much) but I'll be damned if I'm going to buy 3 sets of tires a year and slip and slide when it does rain.
90% street 10% track, get a tire that will work in the wet. It would be pretty crappy to lose the back end going around a corner that was dry going in and it turns wet on the other side. Don't think it will happen then you better do a search and find the people that this has happen to them or worse lose it on the way home from the dealer when its wet out.

ROD
Old 10-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Senior Member, Literally

303 will extend the tire life. Just don't put it on the treads.
Tires have a lubricant built in and 303 will keep them from
drying out. Other than tread wear from "spirited" driving
tires are made to last about 5 yrs.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:10 AM
Got S2000?

I think you'd be happy with the Star Specs. Everyone I know who has them loves them.

But there are some folks around here (one I can think of specifically) who will swear by the RE-11. A very nice tire indeed, and a bit more pricey...but apparently their wet-weather performance is above & beyond anything else in a summer tire range.

Good to know, just don't let it give you a false sense of confidence.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:41 AM
Bug Zapper

Originally Posted by Silverstone_Ryan View Post
I sort of disagree with this. That may be true if the weather stayed the same 100% of the time, but it doesn't. What if your mismatched tires loose grip at different rates as it gets cold. So you learn the cars limits during warm weather and when it gets cold and you end up in the ditch because your car suddenly handled differently than you expected. Or what about in the wet? Different tires handle differently in different conditions. It sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. It might be fine, it might not. Advice usually errors on the side of safety. How many posts have we read about a car getting totalled where the driver says something like "I took the corner fast but no faster than usual". Mismatched tires just make that all the more likely IMHO.
I welcome your disagreement but anyone who doesnt slow the eff down in the rain/cold proabably shouldnt be driving anything

Just saying, as long as all 4 tires are in good condition (have adequate tread), you wont mysteriously meet mr. guardrail if you drive with some sense and slow down when weather conditions change. That is just driving 101.

+1 on the star specs, I dont have all 4 on yet but the front ones are super sticky. My old all-season fronts understeered under hard inputs, these never seem to give out.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:50 AM
Bug Zapper

Bridgestone RE760s Summers are a good compromise for anyone who wants their rear tires to last 20K+ (confirmed) but still wants to have fun. I am not sure they a track stars but they are definitely windy mountain road approved.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....za+RE760+Sport

Last edited by Marioshi; 10-11-2011 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Link
Old 10-11-2011, 07:55 AM

Gents,

I think I will be buying 4 new tires and selling my conni's. Primarily for two reasons. Silverstone_Ryan made a good point, different heat transfer rates of the tires will give less predictable grip with changing temperatures. Not that SoCal has big swings in temperature but when changing elevation by 4-7000ft in the pavement can definately change throughout the day. Secondly the conni's are only speed rated for 130mph. While I don't plan on cruising at 140 everyday, when I do every now and again play in the tripple digits, the last thing I want to worry about is my tires.

Thanks for all the input!
Old 10-11-2011, 08:00 AM
Bug Zapper

Gents,

I think I will be buying 4 new tires and selling my conni's. Primarily for two reasons. Silverstone_Ryan made a good point, different heat transfer rates of the tires will give less predictable grip with changing temperatures. Not that SoCal has big swings in temperature but when changing elevation by 4-7000ft in the pavement can definately change throughout the day. Secondly the conni's are only speed rated for 130mph. While I don't plan on cruising at 140 everyday, when I do every now and again play in the tripple digits, the last thing I want to worry about is my tires.

Thanks for all the input!
Well, glad we could help. Sorry for the bickering . Its been kinda quiet aroudn here lately and we all needed to stretch our legs.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:42 AM
'06 S2k

Well, glad we could help. Sorry for the bickering . Its been kinda quiet aroudn here lately and we all needed to stretch our legs.
Were not bickering, just wait till shadow asked about what oil to use.

ROD
Old 10-11-2011, 08:53 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by rrounds View Post
Were not bickering, just wait till shadow asked about what oil to use.

ROD
Well, the best oil to use would be........
Old 10-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Lemme see'iff'I gott'diss straight now . . iosh'z apologizin'bout'da "bickerin"????
'Go away ferr'a while'n come back'da a bunch'a ol', purse-lipped biddiez crow-shayin'.
(I tol'youze guyz'iss wuzz gonna happen if we let Sam go'n we clozed down'a bar.)

Y'know . . use'ta be'datt da new guyz sometimez caughd'a liddle razzin' when'ey came on board. Made alodda folks feel like dey earned'da keyz'ta deir lockaz'n'ey wuzz membaz'n'ere wuzz'a sense'a comraderie'att ain't been here in yearz.
Itt wuzz more like'a club datt you'n some buddiez belonged to.
Now it's gettin' more important'da hol'da han'a'n sweet-talk every fresh hunk'a meat whut walkz t'rough'da door.
'N'youze guyz wunda where'da ol' crew'z disappearin' to?

'Sorry iff'I made anybody miss'a stitch.
Lett'da knittin' resume.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Bug Zapper

Originally Posted by Java Junky View Post
Lemme see'iff'I gott'diss straight now . . iosh'z apologizin'bout'da "bickerin"????
'Go away ferr'a while'n come back'da a bunch'a ol', purse-lipped biddiez crow-shayin'.

Lett'da knittin' resume.
How sad is BB going to be when he comes back and I havent finished his slippers.

Last edited by Marioshi; 10-11-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:00 AM

It has been quiet....too quiet! Hahaha
Old 10-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Iff nuttin'else iosh . . yuh got class. Ol' beeb ever gettz back, he'z gonna like'em.

Quiet Ryan? Da geriatric ward't Bellevue'z got more action on Friday nightz when'ey got Spam Surprize'n Maudee'z on'a py-anna.
(Though . . the Spam Surprize'z gettin'a liddle old.)
Old 10-11-2011, 12:22 PM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by Java Junky View Post
(I tol'youze guyz'iss wuzz gonna happen if we let Sam go'n we clozed down'a bar.)

Y'know . . use'ta be'datt da new guyz sometimez caughd'a liddle razzin' when'ey came on board. Made alodda folks feel like dey earned'da keyz'ta deir lockaz'n'ey wuzz membaz'n'ere wuzz'a sense'a comraderie'att ain't been here in yearz.
Itt wuzz more like'a club datt you'n some buddiez belonged to.
Now it's gettin' more important'da hol'da han'a'n sweet-talk every fresh hunk'a meat whut walkz t'rough'da door.
'N'youze guyz wunda where'da ol' crew'z disappearin' to?

Lett'da knittin' resume.
You know JJ, I know what you mean. I've only been here a little over a year and have seen a big difference. Old timers (on the site and some in real life) haven't been on here lately or as much as before. Lets see what the future brings....

And Marioshi, your slippers match the hat I'm making BB!

Last edited by Switchblade; 10-11-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Nobody likez'a copy-cat 'blade.
'Givez new meanin'da callin'itt'cher melon.
(Personally . . I'd have'itt lanced.)

Oh . . 'n iosh?
'Bedda hurry'itt up. Beeb might be gettin' back sooner'n'ee dought.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:28 PM

I decided to go with the Michelin pilot super sports on all fours. Between the conny's poor speed rating and generally knowing that tires are one of the largest factors between me and death on any given canyon I don't want to take too much risk.

Thank you all for all the input!
Old 10-17-2011, 02:05 PM
Bug Zapper

I decided to go with the Michelin pilot super sports on all fours. Between the conny's poor speed rating and generally knowing that tires are one of the largest factors between me and death on any given canyon I don't want to take too much risk.

Thank you all for all the input!
Just remember, that the largest factor between you and death on the road is always YOU! Drive safe and enjoy your new ride.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:35 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Thankfully there'z still enough warped minez in attendance'ta provide some entertainment while still gettin' issuez discussed'n resolved.
'Bes'a luck wi'cher new hoopz shadda. Wear'em in good healt'.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Got S2000?

Good choice on the tire....I think you're one of the first on here with them.

Enjoy it, and let us know how they go.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mismatched Tires

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.