West CA, NV, OR, UT, HI, WA, ID

Used AP1 valve retainer question.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:31 AM

Used AP1 valve retainer question.

I just picked up a 02' s2 with 74XXX miles and right away decided that i need to replace the ap1 valve retainers with the ap2 valve retainers for peace of mind. Though the car is in in very good condition, I don't know how its been driven or if it has ever been over revved. Being it my first manual car I actually learned how to drive stick shift on it and have accidentally over revved it as well Ive already ordered the retainers and keepers. Approximately how much should this job cost for the labor as I am supplying the parts? Also, do you guys know any good mechs in the Los Angeles area that would do this for me?
Old 08-20-2012, 12:25 PM
S2000.com Sponsor

Originally Posted by bboyblaq View Post
I just picked up a 02' s2 with 74XXX miles and right away decided that i need to replace the ap1 valve retainers with the ap2 valve retainers for peace of mind. Though the car is in in very good condition, I don't know how its been driven or if it has ever been over revved. Being it my first manual car I actually learned how to drive stick shift on it and have accidentally over revved it as well Ive already ordered the retainers and keepers. Approximately how much should this job cost for the labor as I am supplying the parts? Also, do you guys know any good mechs in the Los Angeles area that would do this for me?
you might as well order another set of ap1 exhaust retainers while you're at it. you can re use the ap1 keepers on those, of course.

it is not recommended to put ap2 retainers on ap1 exhaust valves.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Hybrid Hater

For someone to do it for you it should be around 300.

I chose to use AP2 exhaust retainers.

Here was my experience on the matter:

https://www.s2000.com/forums/engine-...retainers.html

Last edited by 0tyrael0; 08-20-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:45 PM
S2000.com Sponsor

i saw i never replied to your post. i admit the valve float and piston to valve contact in the event of an overrev sounded worse to me than just putting another set of ap1 retainers on them again.

hit 108k this morning, i think it's time to do the exhaust side. will report back my findings when i get around to doing them.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:52 PM
Hybrid Hater

It will be interesting to see what you find.

It will also be interesting when I take mine apart again to see if anything has changed since installing the AP2 retainers. Im the only one I know of that is running AP2 retainers on intake and exhaust so I guess time will tell if the AP2 retainers cause any problems.

The way I look at is, I know the AP1 retainers on the exhaust side will crack under the right conditions (what those may be are debatable), I dont know for sure that AP2 retainers will cause float on the exhaust side.

I guess the real solution would be to just get titanium retainers. If I were to do it again, thats what I would do.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:02 PM

Yes, but searching the threads last year when I was considering upgrading retainers there was a lot of uncertainty about the longevity of titanium retainers. And after receiving a set of science of speed retainers and not being impressed by the quality of the maching on the spring side mating surface, I changed my mind. Sent the retainers back and am still using stock AP1 retainers. Go figure????
Old 08-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Hybrid Hater

Hmmm thanks for the input agski.

Of all places, sos have my highest confidence when it comes to aftermarket parts (I might be their biggest fan)... but hey, perhaps my experience with them is misleading. I have heard more bad than good lately.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by 0tyrael0 View Post
It will be interesting to see what you find.

It will also be interesting when I take mine apart again to see if anything has changed since installing the AP2 retainers. Im the only one I know of that is running AP2 retainers on intake and exhaust so I guess time will tell if the AP2 retainers cause any problems.

The way I look at is, I know the AP1 retainers on the exhaust side will crack under the right conditions (what those may be are debatable), I dont know for sure that AP2 retainers will cause float on the exhaust side.

I guess the real solution would be to just get titanium retainers. If I were to do it again, thats what I would do.
I know it's a few years since this thread was made, but would love to know how 0tyrael0's S2 is doing after the AP2 retainers being installed???
Old 06-13-2017, 01:42 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Replacing the AP-1 valve retainers with AP-2 retainers is the recommended fix.