Website / Forum Suggestions / Site Problems All suggestions, problems, and general inquiries about the s2000.com website are welcome !

Starter & Power steering Issues

Old 07-18-2014, 03:56 AM
2001 S2K

disregard posted in wrong place

I have a 2001 S2k. I've never had any mechanical problems with it before. I only have 16,000 miles on the car. I took my car for an oil change and inspection. The car had no prior starting or power steering issues until after the oil change. Now my car won't start. I have to push start it and then have no power steering. Can anyone tell me what the starter has to do with the power steering? I can deal with the possibility of the starter deciding to go bad, but the power steering too. Any idea of what happened or solutions?

Last edited by Charlene Fancyflickers; 07-18-2014 at 04:33 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:58 PM
2001 S2K

I have a shut off on the car. I imagine the mechanic turned it off accidentally??? So the car would no longer start or have power steering. It was turned back on and now she's back up and running. Just in time for a road trip. Glad I didn't have to pay for any unnecessary repairs..YAAAAA!
Old 07-18-2014, 06:11 PM
normal aspiration

several things:

how did you drive home from the mechanic?

you knew about the shut off? it immobilizes the starter and the PS? did you have this installed? did the lightbulb just finally go off in your head?

why do you not drive your car more? how long have you had it? any pics? please allow us to view them.

welcome to S2000.coma. pull up a barstool and sit a spell

where are you going on this road-trip? pics? please post.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:53 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

I would like to add my welcome too! You will find lots of great advice here from members.

I would like to say that in the future you may want to be careful with zippy "fast" style lube/mechanical shops for quick oil changes. There have been some real horror stories with folks taking this car to them. Dealers can be expensive but at least they do have "loss leaders" for oil change prices and you know they will do it the correct way. You may want to find a reputable shop that has seen this car before in case you need more help. There may be other members that live in your area and can offer suggestions.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:03 AM
EYECELLEM

First welcome! I'm not sure what you mean by "shut off" and then "turned back on". What is the condition of the car battery and charging system? That may be why the car wouldn't start and then obviously you wouldn't have power steering assist.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:47 AM
normal aspiration

Originally Posted by Charlene Fancyflickers View Post
I have a shut off on the car. I imagine the mechanic turned it off accidentally??? So the car would no longer start or have power steering. It was turned back on and now she's back up and running. Just in time for a road trip.
Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post
several things:

how did you drive home from the mechanic?

you knew about the shut off? it immobilizes the starter and the PS? did you have this installed? did the lightbulb just finally go off in your head?
Originally Posted by Glenn1 View Post
First welcome! I'm not sure what you mean by "shut off" and then "turned back on". What is the condition of the car battery and charging system? That may be why the car wouldn't start and then obviously you wouldn't have power steering assist.
"I have a shut off...It was turned back on and now she's back up and running."

bes' i can make of it the car has an immobilizer switch that kills the PS and the starter. you can still start the car with a push but without PS. somehow it was discovered that the immobilizer had been "cut off." it was cut back on and all is well.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:15 PM
2001 S2K

Starter & Power steering Issues

Thank you for your helpful comments.

I brought a spa yellow pearl 2001 S2K. The original wheels did not handle well in the snow. I started putting the car down in the winter. Whenever I brought her back up my battery was always dead. A shut off was added to prevent power from going to car while in hibernation with hopes of saving the battery. It did not work and battery was still dead. Every year battery was replaced under warranty. So I stopped using the shut off switch and opted for a battery tender. No more jump starts yaaa! I did not always have someone around to push start. I travelled with a battery charger.

I ended up getting a 2002 Civic to use in the colder months. I sold it for a 5 speed 2005 Accord then a 6 speed 2007 Accord. My travel needs keep changing. Now I'm looking into a minivan to use for my sons tribe...lol (Too Much Info)

Believe it or not I take the cars to the dealership for maintenance. Too bad they don't know how to work around modifications. (i.e., a shut off not needed for an oil change)????

Starter & Power Steering Issue Fix
I was attempting a reset when I noticed the switch was turned off. Turned it on and car started immediately with power steering. However now my CEL was on. Pulled fuse, erased computer memory, & put fuse back...CEL went off.

When I figure out how to post pics I will.

Last edited by Charlene Fancyflickers; 07-31-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:43 PM
2001 S2K

Originally Posted by Charlene Fancyflickers View Post
Thank you for your helpful comments.

I brought a spa yellow pearl 2001 S2K. The original wheels did not handle well in the snow. I started putting the car down in the winter. Whenever I brought her back up my battery was always dead. A shut off was added to prevent power from going to car while in hibernation with hopes of saving the battery. It did not work and battery was still dead. Every year battery was replaced under warranty. So I stopped using the shut off switch and opted for a battery tender. No more jump starts yaaa! I did not always have someone around to push start. I travelled with a battery charger.

I ended up getting a 2002 Civic to use in the colder months. I sold it for a 5 speed 2005 Accord then a 6 speed 2007 Accord. My travel needs keep changing. Now I'm looking into a minivan to use for my sons tribe...lol (Too Much Info)

Believe it or not I take the cars to the dealership for maintenance. Too bad they don't know how to work around modifications. (i.e., a shut off not needed for an oil change)????

Starter & Power Steering Issue Fix
I was attempting a reset when I noticed the switch was turned off. Turned it on and car started immediately with power steering. However now my CEL was on. Pulled fuse, erased computer memory, & put fuse back...CEL went off.

When I figure out how to post pics I will.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0104.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	5644   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0106.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	5645   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1869.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	5649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1849.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	5650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1848.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	5651  

Old 08-19-2014, 03:51 PM
normal aspiration

so there is your off-on switch. how about that?

tear in the top is in the right place. got mine replaced under warranty.

good looking S, not stock, but that's ok.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:08 PM
2001 S2K

Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post
so there is your off-on switch. how about that?

tear in the top is in the right place. got mine replaced under warranty.

good looking S, not stock, but that's ok.
Getting it replaced under warranty would have been nice. As you can see..there was no reason to turn the switch off to change the oil. (not even close)
I started getting crazy with modifications and stock went out the window.

Last edited by Charlene Fancyflickers; 08-19-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:57 AM
THE STIG

Nice AP1.