S2000 Forums

S2000 Forums (/forums/)
-   Website / Forum Suggestions / Site Problems (https://www.s2000.com/forums/website-forum-suggestions-site-problems/)
-   -   S2000 Battery (https://www.s2000.com/forums/website-forum-suggestions-site-problems/1794-s2000-battery.html)

wolfie 12-19-2006 08:50 AM

S2000 Battery

The battery in my '02 S2000 will no longer hold a charge. Any recommendations on an upgraded version or is the stock Honda replacement
my best bet?

Scott 12-19-2006 10:05 AM

Some people have switched over to the Optima Yellow Top, but it's debateable that it's any better than an OEM replacement.

MattG 12-19-2006 09:58 PM

If your battery is not dead, the problem might be your car alternator.
Unless you have some big ICE (in car entertainment), you probably won't need to upgrade to some expensive sort of battery.

If all else fails, you can always push-start your car ;)

Java Junky 12-20-2006 08:12 PM

A battery's mostly a battery wolf. 'S'long's it's got the amps to match up to what mother Honda installed at the factory it should be able to do the job.
I'm not up-to-date on it, but if a replacement Honda battery's much more expensive than a name you trust that's readily available locally, I'd go with cheaper brand, but again, as long as it's up to the amps of the OEM unit.
Be well.
Java

philiam 10-04-2007 10:01 PM

Battery

You will want to get as many amps as will fit in. The s2000 has very high compression and will put more strain on the battery. Higher amps will make things easier on all the electrics the battery will last a little longer. I can let my Civic stand for months and it will fire up at the turn of a key. They last me 7 years. It's an 89.

I have an Optima red top in my Diesel motor home and it holds up well. Could use a few more amps, though, Really high compression. It is a sealed unit and you never have to add water. They have gotten rather pricey though. But they have a 3 year replacement warranty. Not pro rated.

Java Junky 10-05-2007 08:07 AM

Phil, the higher compression has the battery needin' max amps at start up, but is there call for the extra amps other than that?
(I ain't bustin' chops, I'm takin' notes.)
Thanks.
Java

s2000isu 10-05-2007 08:36 AM

Dont take notes on that java and I am bustin chops lol. Sure its 11 ta 1 but its also 2 or 2.2 liters lol. My buddies nova with a 383 stroker motor running either 12 or 12.5 ta 1 started up with a garbage little battery no problem. I would be willing to bet a tractor battery would have enough to start our cars.

I run a optima red top in my one car and I can not say enough good things about it. Works great plus it looks pretty.

Java Junky 10-05-2007 09:16 AM

I hear ya isu, but, outside'a longevity n' its keepin' on, keepin' on . . how else do ya actually judge one battery as better'n another.
Aaaay! I'm dyin' here isu!
When'a we gonna get an "in-depth" on the Vortech?????
Stop polishin' long enough to fill us in why don'cha.
Be well.
Java

s2000isu 10-05-2007 09:43 AM

Alright I like the red top because you never have to worry about the posts corroding. It has plenty of cranking amps and it holds a charge forever. I left my other car sit for 8 months when I did the motor and it started right up. My buddy has a gto that sat for a year and he has a air bag suspension that he always plays with and that battery took it really well. I have had my red top for 3 years now and I just like it. I am sure when the batter goes in the s I will buy a optima for it too.

jagg 10-05-2007 09:50 AM

batteries? most of 'em are pretty good nowadays. just don't get some brand NOBODY ever heard of........

nuff said on that.
need details on how the hop-up-job feels on your wheels isu!!!!

gomarlins3 10-05-2007 10:41 AM

Some people have actually gone to a smaller battery to save weight. Personally, I would go with another OEM. Mine has lasted almost 6 years.

Vezna31 10-05-2007 11:15 AM

I'm trying to remember if I've ever changed my battery. :confused:

As far as a battery to handle high compression, I would tend to disagree since the only thing the battery does is start the car. The alternator takes over after that.

philiam 10-05-2007 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Java Junky (Post 16628)
Phil, the higher compression has the battery needin' max amps at start up, but is there call for the extra amps other than that?
(I ain't bustin' chops, I'm takin' notes.)
Thanks.
Java

Probably just my paranoia. You might not feel the difference at first but a few years down the line you might buying a new one. A larger battery has an easier time starting and therefore should last longer. For a few bucks more, amortized over 6 or 7 yrs, I prefer a little overkill. If allowed to get too low a battery will die a slow death. Especially if they are not desulfated.

My stukay sure doesn't turn near as fast as my 90 Civic. I don't know if the battery has been replaced or not. The car is a very well maintained 2002.

There are only about 3 companies that make all the batteries under different labels. But they are made to different specs.

dr. feinstone 10-09-2007 10:47 PM

wolfie.
you have a 2002 ap1 model, this is 2007. It is a 5 years old battery, thus it is possible your battery need a replacement. Go to an autoparts store and look for a replacement. Make sure to get a correct size for your car. It should be about 28 pounds in weight. Or you can experiment lighter weight battery like oddysey, spoon sport and buddy club. Also check your alternator by looking at the battery and brake warning lights, if they both appear at the same time. Have a shop inspect for alternator failure.

philiam 10-09-2007 11:54 PM

If you're gonna pull you battery for some reason hook a battery charger or 9 volt battery to the cables before disconnecting and the radio will keep its code. Be sure to reconnect before taking the back up off.

desmo4 10-10-2007 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Scott (Post 8819)
Some people have switched over to the Optima Yellow Top, but it's debateable that it's any better than an OEM replacement.

Optima no longer sells a battery which will fit or cars. They built a D51 and I had one for slightly under a yr when it failed (open circuit) Optima gave a 100% refund and told me that the battery was defective and it was a manufacturing flaw due to the small size. And when I contacted them recently, they said they have no plans to build another D51. I also tried an Odyssey PC925 the favorite Civic model. It needs special handling and without it, it will fail in short order. It can't deal with alarm systems or big loads that leave the battery below full charge when the car is parked. So no matter where you are it needs to be on a charger when it is stopped or it will sulphanate and loose capacity. I tried the Odyssey for weight loss but I ended up with the standard flooded electrolyte sealed antique. You can put a bigger Optima in the truck but weight distribution and cargo capacity will suffer.

Jonathan

MattG 10-10-2007 04:54 PM

BTW - wrong forum. This is as the title suggests for posting about the actual website (eg coding/bugs etc).

Rick006 02-20-2008 01:49 AM

If you are looking down the road to better performance one way to start is to buy a lighter battery that will do the job, there are several out there that will. when you add everything up it really makes a difference, It did in my car anyway.

dmdiebold 10-10-2008 12:44 PM

S2000 battery

I bought my S2000 new, a little more than 7 years ago. I dont drive it a lot. It often sits for one or two months. It still has the origional battery. Although its starting to get weak, it always starts the car with ease. 8)That's VERY GOOD performance for an OEM battery.:p

I know its time to replace it so I compared prices and performance specks of other batterys and found that most top of the line brands cost considerably more than a Honda OEM battery. Even Odyssey only rates their reccomended PC925LMJT at 3 to 7 years of life, with only a 2-year warranty.

You can find great prices on Honda batterys on line. :angry4:But beware, they can't ship batterys. They are considered Haz-Mat. You will have to buy locally and there goes the great discount prices.

I say stick with the Honda OEM and buy it at your local Honda dealer. It might cost a little more than a Wal-Mart special, but the quality is worth it. Use a quality battery charger that can desulfide the battery.
I got more than seven (7) years out of mine.:hello2:

desmo4 10-10-2008 01:41 PM

Optima recently came out with a new D51 which is the size that fits our cars. And is different information than the last time I spoke to them. It is a yellow top and is superior in every way to standard flooded electrolyte batteries. When I need a new battery that will be my choice. And you don't need any more amps than it supplies. And it's lighter than the stock one

Jonathan

desmo4 10-10-2008 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by dmdiebold (Post 65336)
I bought my S2000 new, a little more than 7 years ago. I dont drive it a lot. It often sits for one or two months. It still has the origional battery. Although its starting to get weak, it always starts the car with ease. 8)That's VERY GOOD performance for an OEM battery.:p

I know its time to replace it so I compared prices and performance specks of other batterys and found that most top of the line brands cost considerably more than a Honda OEM battery. Even Odyssey only rates their reccomended PC925LMJT at 3 to 7 years of life, with only a 2-year warranty.

You can find great prices on Honda batterys on line. :angry4:But beware, they can't ship batterys. They are considered Haz-Mat. You will have to buy locally and there goes the great discount prices.

I say stick with the Honda OEM and buy it at your local Honda dealer. It might cost a little more than a Wal-Mart special, but the quality is worth it. Use a quality battery charger that can desulfide the battery.
I got more than seven (7) years out of mine.:hello2:

You are incorrect, they can ship batteries. And don't try to run an Odyssey in our cars, it requires a higher charge voltage and will fail prematurely.

Jonathan

bobby2002S2K 10-10-2008 03:47 PM

Battery is a battery (if you are just using it for cranking a S2000),if you get OEM or anything close to it, it will be fine.

Neil 10-10-2008 05:10 PM

Dozens of times I've started a car with a flat battery by bumping it. If its gotta clutch them you can "bump" to start if you can't turn the car over !:cool:

philiam 10-10-2008 06:34 PM

Its a Honda. They start so quickly the battery doesn't have to work hard. My 89 Civic OEM lasted 7 years. Replaced it with a Kirkland (Costco) and that lasted 7 years. On my 2nd Kirkland and it still starts quickly after sitting for a month or more.

My 2002 S has the original battery and it still fires right up.

songzunhuang 10-23-2008 09:10 AM

8 years and stil alive!

In a recent service, the Honda folks told me that my battery was only putting out 250 cca. It's supposed to be in the 400-470 range when performing like new. Here's the weird thing, my car turns over and starts just fine. I've never had an issue. I got my S2000 when they first came out as a 2000 model. It still has the original battery!

So I read with great interest the opinions of all the folks regarding the longevity of their OEM batteries. I think it really has more to do with the quality of the electrical system. I once had an older Ferrari that I put an Optima Red Top into. On several occasions it was DEAD and I had to jump the car. I had this start happening when the battery was less than a year old. So I think that the Italians just can't do electrical correctly. Honda has got that nailed.

As for my S2000, I got one of those emergency booster packs and keep it in the trunk. I am determined to see how long and OEM battery will really last. When my car will no longer start, I'll use to booster pack to get me going to the nearest Honda dealer, when I will get another OEM battery!

philiam 10-23-2008 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by songzunhuang (Post 67090)
In a recent service, the Honda folks told me that my battery was only putting out 250 cca. It's supposed to be in the 400-470 range when performing like new. Here's the weird thing, my car turns over and starts just fine. I've never had an issue. I got my S2000 when they first came out as a 2000 model. It still has the original battery!

So I read with great interest the opinions of all the folks regarding the longevity of their OEM batteries. I think it really has more to do with the quality of the electrical system. I once had an older Ferrari that I put an Optima Red Top into. On several occasions it was DEAD and I had to jump the car. I had this start happening when the battery was less than a year old. So I think that the Italians just can't do electrical correctly. Honda has got that nailed.

As for my S2000, I got one of those emergency booster packs and keep it in the trunk. I am determined to see how long and OEM battery will really last. When my car will no longer start, I'll use to booster pack to get me going to the nearest Honda dealer, when I will get another OEM battery!

Make sure to charge the booster periodically. Often, they are dead when you need them. Italian Marreli electrics weren't too good. Brit Lucas are terrible. Honda got it right.

songzunhuang 03-16-2010 02:50 PM

Update on my battery - 2 years later (10 years folks!)

I posted the entry below in March of 2008 I believe. It's now March 16, 2010 and my battery is on it's last legs. I had to use my booster pack this morning. When I went to start the car during lunch, the cranking was kinda hesitant, but it worked!

I called Honda and they are selling an Interstate battery as a replacement now! I asked for the original Panasonic and the parts guy exclaimed, "Wow, you've had that for a long time. They don't use those anymore."

Well I ain't giving up. I'm shopping around for a Panasonic. I hope I can actually find one. So, do I hold the all time record? My car is a 2000 model S2000 and after 10 years, I am finally being forced to change the battery. :cool:

Has anyone had one last longer?

Originally Posted by songzunhuang (Post 67090)

turbosix 03-16-2010 02:58 PM

wow.

i bought my 03 with 32k on the clock in 2008 and about 6 months later the oem battery gave up the ghost.

philiam 03-16-2010 03:17 PM

My 2002 still has the Panasonic and starts ok after sitting several days. Our other 2 Hondas go about 7 years on a battery. I usually replace them with Costco (Kirkland).

TheSoundMan21 03-16-2010 03:32 PM

my battery from what I can tell goes for 4 years then dies...

desmo4 03-16-2010 04:14 PM

Flooded electrolyte batteries, the kind everyone is familiar with, if discharged once will suffer irreversible damage after one complete discharge. While it might still work it will never recover anywhere near full capacity. An Optima D51 Yellow Top can go through 400 deep discharge cycles and still have 85% of its original capacity plus it weigh 26 lbs. There is no comparison.

Jonathan

Red Fun for 2 03-16-2010 04:24 PM

Very timely bump on this post, 64 degrees in Eastern PA and very sunny, got home from work, was going to go for a little spin, and then nothing when I hit the start button. Have it on the charger now, will see what happens........car just turned 7, so it looks like about average as compared to some of the other posts!

CarZ 03-17-2010 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by wolfie (Post 8818)
The battery in my '02 S2000 will no longer hold a charge. Any recommendations on an upgraded version or is the stock Honda replacement
my best bet?

For me, I'd go for OEM replacement. I have lots of friends who experienced the very same thing...after using their car for almost 8 years. And all of them used OEM. I think it's safer to use...

Okay, I'm a fresh meat here in this site and got confused because I thought this thread is supposed to be all about website/forum suggestions/problems...sorry but I'm just stating what I've observed...:confused:

TheSoundMan21 03-17-2010 07:14 AM

carz lol

and quite being cheap I got the yellow top

lovemyap1 03-17-2010 01:53 PM

i bought a lightweight racing battery from braille. it only weighs 11 pounds. i have had it for a couple months. it starts great in cold weather too...

desmo4 03-17-2010 03:47 PM

How much did you have to pay for it? And which one did you buy?

Jonathan

murderedout 03-22-2010 05:07 PM

I've been through a few batteries myself I've even had a optima thinking it would last a bit longer,your best bet is just to get any battery with a 2year warranty that is pretty standard, I just picked one up for $80.

turbosix 03-23-2010 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by lovemyap1 (Post 123495)
i bought a lightweight racing battery from braille. it only weighs 11 pounds. i have had it for a couple months. it starts great in cold weather too...

Originally Posted by desmo4 (Post 123510)
How much did you have to pay for it? And which one did you buy?

Jonathan

he paid entirely too much. braille rebadges odyssey batteries.

Bullwinkle 04-02-2010 10:38 AM

Battery life depends most on where you live and how you drive the car.

The absolute worst place to be is the upper midwest in a metro area. First, cold starting in the dead of winter (at anything under zero degrees) is where it is easiest to see a battery's health.

But where Batteries go on the intensive care list is in stop and go traffic in the heat of the summer, especially when the electric radiator fans and the air conditioner are going full blast and the car is not moving fast enough to charge the battery.

That said, Batteries are a lot better than they used to be. My RSX-S battery lasted almost exactly seven years, driven a lot. SUmmer and Winter. And it has the same compression ratio as the S2000.

I doubt many S2000 owners push their battery that hard. I know I am not driving my S into the city during rush hour on a 100-plus degree day if I have a choice. And Most S owners don't drive their cars much in the dead of winter (I think it's fun, but that's me).

So I would expect that almost any battery that has the amps to turn over the engine would work (as long as the car's charging circuits are up to snuff). I would not spend premium bucks on a premium battery. My RV? Different story.

phonedrn8 04-02-2010 11:20 AM

in Las Vegas look for 3-4 years due to heat and stop and go traffic still small town but everything is close to you in/out turnn off start up . My work van start stop prob min 20 times a day listen to radio and charge tools or computer 2 yrs at max

get a warrenty with ur battery and u will be good