Go Back  S2000 Forums > Regional > South
So, what's happenin in the Carolina's... >

So, what's happenin in the Carolina's...

South AR, LA, MS, KY, TN, AL, GA, FL, NC, SC, WV, VA, DE, DC, MD

So, what's happenin in the Carolina's...

Old 02-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Dismember

Last edited by Red Stwokay; 01-31-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:13 PM
mlc

Well, it depends on what you do and what you are looking for. We live in the Triangle and really like it, if you are in tech or medical there are a lot of opportunities here. If you are in banking then the Charlotte area will probably be a better fit. You also have the coast and the mountains.

Be a little more specific and I can give a better idea of what is going on.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:40 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Red, the loadin'n unloadin'z'a same no madda how far'yer goin'.
When'yuh consider'da life-changin' repercussionz'a whu'cher'doon . . . a longer trip doan'mean diddly.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:12 AM
normal aspiration

you will find sophisticaton and redneckism side by side in north carolina. i wouldn't want to live in SC. the winters are mild if you are not in the mountains, and the summers are sweltering--think humidity. spring and fall are beautiful. alcohol is under rigid control by the state--liquor can only be bought at state run ABC (Alcoholic Beverage Control) stores. i grew up in charlotte--glad to be gone. i cannot advise on the job situation, taxes, or politics. asheville is supposed to be nice but it is politicized and many think of it as lesbian heaven; lot of counter-cultural types there--not really bad things. i don't know much about eastern carolina and the beaches, but there have been many hurricanes in the past.

as far as the redneck stereotype goes, it is more myth than Deliverance. most are nice folks and are either friendly or will leave you to your mechanisms. do not fear the drawl. as always, use caution and your own best judgement.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:12 PM
mlc

Well, obviously your money will go further in most of the south compared to the NE. There are a lot of transplants in this area, Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill. I would stay somewhat close to the larger city's down here, you get in the "country" fairly quickly and their just isn't a whole lot to offer. I am from LI originally and like a good restaurant, concert etc. so being closer to a larger city makes those things within a short drive.

I think you have the right idea, come down and spend some time. What I like you might hate, so getting a feel for the area is really the only way to decide. If you do come down let me know we get together pretty regularly around here and have a great S2000 community .

Good luck.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:44 PM

The Charlotte region has been especially good for us since we moved here many years ago from the Republic of Maryland..... But, like a lot of cities, growth ran amuk and infrastructure never kept up.... Traffic at its height is now rivaling other major cities,...and on and on.... But, the best move we EVER made!