South West AZ, TX, NM, OK

Thinking about moving to AZ

Old 02-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Dismember

Last edited by Red Stwokay; 12-16-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:57 AM

Are you retired? The economy isn't strong here, but the weather is fine. Tucson is the place we decided to spend Winters.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:37 AM
"Enjoy the drive"

I have found this site to be helpful when looking at areas not near you (or even the one you live in now to see if it is accurate). Click on the 'Info' button of the area you are thinking about.

http://homes.point2.com/Neighborhood/US/Arizona.aspx
Old 02-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Top Always Down

Sedona is bitchin'. Some kooky folks and tourism is the mainstay of pay. It beautiful and there are a lot of great places to hike. 4x4 needed in some areas.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:38 AM

I have many friends who have moved out there, none regretted it.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:57 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Might be dry heat, but it's hot! You won't want to spend much time out of doors during the day. The place I would consider would be Southern Oregon, around Bend. I love the Oregon Coast, but they do have a bit of weather in winter. Bend is inland and more desert like.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:00 PM
Senior Newbie

My company moved us to Tucson for a year and a half, and while nobody wanted to go, almost all of us loved it and hated coming back. Best place I've ever lived (to be fair not a huge pool, NV, CA, and AZ). Awesome lightning storms, really nice people, and a small town feel even though it's the 30th largest city in the country. Beautiful green desert, and it's too bad I got my S later and never got to run Roller Coaster Road with it...
Old 02-19-2009, 11:05 PM
Senior Newbie

Originally Posted by Red Stwokay View Post
Thanks for the info. People seem to like it there but ya here stuff like this...
"June is our hottest month but it is a "dry heat." Temps range from 110-121. About the second week in July our monsoon hits. The temperature drops but the humidity rises. Temps range 100 to 108. Monsoon lasts until the middle of September but temperatures stay a bit warm. Towards the middle of October the temps go down and our winter begins. Temps range from the 60's to the 70's until middle of April."

Anyone confirm or deny all that rain? Seems contradictory?
They're right on, June is the worst and then 12 inches of rain a through summer (well, part of that is in winter). Vegas is real "dry heat", 4 inches of rain if we're lucky. Summer there was so much better... And you get to see the cactus and Ocatillo bloom after the first rain.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:23 AM

Red,
I'm a Pa. guy from waay back. Lived about 13 yrs in the upper midwest. Moved to Tucson in 2004. Yes, the summers are stupid-hot, but the rest of the year is really nice. You can drive a 'vert a LOT of the year out here... and the sun shines dang-near every day...

My neighbor is from Conn. He moved out here about 2 yrs ago. He says he could be no happier!

But some folks can't adjust to the differences, the lack of lush greenery, etc. If that's your thing, then you may not be happy here.

Good luck on your decision.

Kevin
Old 02-20-2009, 04:03 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Just where do you have to go for enjoyable weather on a nearly daily basis?[/quote]

You're describing So. California. But if you have to go to work traffic can be a nightmare. I'm fortunate to live out of town in an area where I'm minutes from some great driving roads. If I make a left turn instead I'm in the thick of things. Winter is the best season here and we actually pray for rain. But, living is expensive.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:04 AM
Senior Newbie

Originally Posted by philiam View Post
Just where do you have to go for enjoyable weather on a nearly daily basis?
You're describing So. California.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. We left there, though, because it's expensive and NV has no state income tax. Yet... But NV only has about 6 months of top down weather, the rest is too hot or too cold. Still worth it for me, though! But if I could get transferred back to Tucson I'd take it in a heartbeat.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:17 AM

Carlsbad, CA is the best place I ever lived (I have lived in GA, SC, NC, VA, TX and Japan for 6 months). Every time I go back to Carlsbad I wonder why I ever left.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:39 AM

How were the Carolina's? I was thinking of them as well but the amount rainfall and this year the cold and snow just made me say, why go there? Florida was also an option but hurricanes suck and the insurance, if you can get it, is out freakin ragous. Also cold there this year. I wish the global warming would end, it's making every where cold!
I am originally from SC. Like any place in the southeast it is hot and humid in the summer and winters are mild. There are a lot of nice places to live along the coast. The up-state area is pretty nice as well if you prefer the mountains. The state has a lot of lakes and rivers, so if you want to live on the water you can do it in the mountains or at the beach. I don't really see the weather as being a big problem for top-down driving. I live 2.5 hours away from SC in GA, I have had 5 or 6 good top down days this winter. In the summer you get occasional thunder showers. We seem to get more rain in the winter, but with the drought rain has been pretty slim this year.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:02 AM
H20

Tough time figuring where to go for the best weather. I love convertibles, motorcycles and just being out doors (in good weather). Here in CT forget it. November we get lots of rain and you go nuts trying to rake up all the leaves before snow fall. It's cold, gray and preciptous from then on. April tends to have some nice days, more than May actually, which tends to be very rainy. Recent Junes have been almost as rainy as May. If it's not raining it's humid. July, hazy, hot, humid, thunderstorms. August same as July. September can be nice or similar to July and August. October is pretty good, the best month, especially early to mid October.

I was researching NC & SC but they get a lot of rain as well and they get very cold as well. The cold this year extended all the way to Miami. When we were -6, NC was 12, SC 18, Miami 34. Florida gets lots of rain as well.

Research showed that Phoenix gets 7" rainfall yearly, people are saying in reality it's much, much more. Three months of rain in summer? YUK. If I want to sit in the house staring out the window at rain I may as well stay here.

Same research showed Las Vegas as 4" anual rainfall and Reno as 7". I don't want to be in a dust bowl but are they wetter in reality than my research has shown?

Just where do you have to go for enjoyable weather on a nearly daily basis?
Red just stop it. Spring is almost here. When I'm out in my boat or off in the car on a perfect summer day, which we have plenty of (!), I think it's the best place in the world. You are feeling just like everybody else in CT right now.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:21 AM
Resident Vigilante

Hamilton Montana
Old 03-07-2009, 06:25 AM

Its what it is!

So what have you all got for me! Input desired... Worst time(s) or area(s) for rain, heat, etc. Crime areas. Best of AZ?

I'm in CT now and sick of the snow, ice, rain, cold, gray, miserable days. Rising crime. Increasing government intervention in our lives. Taxation, etc...

It would be nice to have weather conducive to convertibles, motorcycles and outdoor activity. Any info or help appreciated. Thanks

I moved to Phoenix in 1981 when I was 38 yrs old and had retired from
the Navy.

Then it was great. But since then crime has sky rocketed. Read the news!
Its the kidnap capital of the world right now with the drug cartels
from Mexico taking over there.

The weather is tolerable in the summer, yeah its hot and the joke is
that its "a dry heat". when I moved there I had left New Hampshire and
when I went back in June the temp was 95 with 95 percent humidity.
I have to say it was more comfortable back in AZ at 110 and 8 percent
humidity.
You learn to adjust, just like in parts where winter is hard. You go
from an air conditioned house to an AC car to an AC office. when you
get home you jump in the pool. Hopefully you'll have one. About 3 out
of 5 homes have pools.
I had many convertibles while living there. But!!!!! even in the winter time
during the day, the Sun is intense!!!!! Even though the temp is cool
the Sun will cook your brain. I found best time to drive with top down
was in the evening. The end of Sept to about 1st of Nov is the best
weather wise as well as about April-May.
I rode motorcycles in the summer with a helmet on and didn't mind it.
You will find that even though its hot you don't sweat that much. At least
you don't think you do, because the humidity is so low the sweat
evaporates before you feel it. That causes some problems with heat stroke
and other heat related problems. You most drink a lot of water even when
you don't think your thirsty.

The dusk storms in the winter are massive!!! Do a search or google
AZ dust storms for pictures of them. First the wind picks up then you
see a Hugh dark dust cloud coming across the ground covering everything
with dirt, then it sprinkles a little rain enough to turn the dirt on your car
to mud! LOL

I really enjoyed Arizona for many years earlier, but the politics and the
taxes started getting out of hand from the People from Calf selling their
high dollar home there and moving to Arizona where they could buy
mansions compared to what they had cheap. The only problem I had
with that was they brought their liberal Politics with them. Thats when
the taxes started going stupid, Like people paying to have sports complexes Built for private business.
Oh there is one hell of a Sheriff out there. He is great and doesn't
***** foot around with the criminals. Sheriff Joe.

I left there in 2001 and went full time RV'ing for 3 years then decided to
settle down here in Zephyrhills Florida, Nice twisty hilly roads here. and
Had a Miata (1990) for about 3 years and loved it. Looking for an S2000
tho by the end of this year, I should have it then.

Here in Florida I think the weather is better for convertible driving
as although we have some good rain storms, the winters are great,
the temp ranges from 45-75 from Oct-Apr, but plenty of summer time
top down weather as well. I lot of car club activities too.

All in all there are pros and cons for anywhere you might want to live.
If you are retired like I am, its easy to go from one place to the other as
long as you don't tie yourself down with property!!!!
My double wide home cost me 35K fully furnished, plus $350 a month for
the lot lease. Some places are more, some are less. Nice thing about
this set up is, if a hurricane wipes it out I can always take the insurance
and go buy another one somewhere else.
Right now prices are ridiculously low for used mobile homes (double wides)
The are selling in my Park for 15-25K right now. But that also means regular
homes prices are down as well so, its a buyers market right now.

I would suggest taking a trip to Az and Florida in July to see the worst,
and then doing the same in the Winter to see the best. Your gonna like
both of them either way. You just have to learn like my Ole Mom told me
many years ago, take the bad with the good or the good with the bad.

I don't know if this helped, but I enjoyed remembering each places
memories that comes to mind when I think of them.

Best of Luck regardless of where you pick, just enjoy life..
Old 03-09-2009, 05:57 AM

Take a look at South Alabama

Nice weather, Mild winters, Beach. Low crime, Low taxes and homes are a lot cheeper. 2400 Sq foot with garage for $190000-$225000 Property tax very low about 2200 per year. It does get hot in the late summer but i would much rather be hot then cold.

Econ is not as bad down here either unemployement is only around 5.5%-6%

We are not all rednecks and we do not all sleep with our sisters down here. LOL...
Old 03-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Computer Blue

Ive lived in Tucson and Phx, Tucson is not all that bad, but Phx blows! Gets up into the 120's, then they get monsoons that cause flash floods. Opening your front door at 1pm in the middle of summer is like opening your oven after being preheated for an hour. Way to hot! Politcal climate is about the same as So Cal, unless your out of the city. Sedona is nice, Flagstaff is cool, and Prescott is ok.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by philiam View Post
The place I would consider would be Southern Oregon, around Bend. I love the Oregon Coast, but they do have a bit of weather in winter. Bend is inland and more desert like.
Bend is in Central Oregon in the high desert. Dry like the desert in the late spring until Nov, and it gets hot in the summer, but not AZ hot. It is at altitude so you get your share of snow in the winter.

I live in the Portland area and I've been here for 35 years. I travel all over the country for work and all things considered, I wouldn't live anywhere else. The family chuckled when I bought a ragtop 4 days before I moved back from No Cal. But now they want a ride on a nice day.

Sure, we get a lot of rain, but if you're into the outdoors, this area is fantastic. Wed - Fri this week is going to be sunny and only about 50-55 high temp. I will absolutely drop the top and drive to work at 35 and chilly in the morning.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Super Dooper Senior Newbi

Originally Posted by spfortjohn View Post
We are not all rednecks and we do not all sleep with our sisters down here. LOL...

Well not all of us. i've heard a few rumors here in northern alabama
Old 07-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Arizona real estate is down now, also Las Vegas has a lot of unsold inventory. Both places get quite hot in the summer.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:47 AM

Hi Red S,

2 yrs. later...where'd you end up?

I'm central Az since '04. Ex-pate from NW. My ap2 isn't a DD, stays garaged...if top can't be down!

Cheers,
jr s ca.k.a. certified petrol-head

Last edited by jrsupercar; 06-05-2011 at 08:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-05-2011, 09:00 AM

Unfortunately, all of Southern California is pretty much the same now in my opinion, so it really doesn't matter whether you live in San Diego, Orange County, or LA. San Diego used to be a best kept secret.

We moved out of Southern California in 1995, but, kept our house in San Diego as a rental until 2005. Each year we would go back San Diego, became more and more like the rest of Southern California.

We had planned on retiring in the San Diego house, but, now plan on retiring to FL.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Unfortunately, all of Southern California is pretty much the same now in my opinion, so it really doesn't matter whether you live in San Diego, Orange County, or LA. San Diego used to be a best kept secret.

We moved out of Southern California in 1995, but, kept our house in San Diego as a rental until 2005. Each year we would go back San Diego, became more and more like the rest of Southern California.

We had planned on retiring in the San Diego house, but, now plan on retiring to FL.
yah i was born and raised in socal and love it, but man it just pains me to see what's become of it now. it's like one big suburb from ventura all the way down to san diego. the good part of living in FL is no state income tax. and can probably get a really good deal on a house. not so much in CA, if you want to live in a good part.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:00 AM

Piping in for Phoenix and central AZ. Yes, we get 14 inches of rain a year, about half in winter and half in summer. Oct through April is great weather and lots of top down time. Sure, it gets hot, and that's not a favorite with me, but as stated earlier, I'll take 105 and 4% humidity over 90 and 90% any day. No earthquakes, no hurricanes, flash flood warnings are taken seriously so that we passed a "stupid motorist" law. If it says do not enter when flooded, duh, don't enter! Floods are rare, though, past few summers have been very dry. Home prices are still depressed, so you might pick up something at a bargain. Jobs are not so plentiful, but it depends on what field your wife is in, some are growing.

I've been in Phoenix for over 25 years. Arizona has 7 different climate zones, so if you don't like the low desert, you can try the high Alpine country. Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the USA now, but it doesn't have a big city feel to it. Lots to do outside and inside cultural activities, too. Median age is about 29, but there are lots of Active Adult (retired or near) communities if you like living in that environment.

No snow in Phoenix, little rain, sure it's too hot now to ride very far with the top down during the day, but, 360 degrees of star gazing time at night with lows in the 70's is wonderful. 360 days of sunshine a year. That's hard to beat for convertible time.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:09 PM

Any news to share?
Old 03-23-2013, 03:39 PM

Lived in AZ recently. Planned on leaving. Monsoon season vanished. It rained more in the winter season than when it was supposed to. Its too hot to rain, summers are unbearable. AZ laws are getting worse. Can not get a title in AZ, the vehicle in question to get a title transfer MUST be registered. Wtf!? What sort of dumbsh!t thought of that one. And nothing really to do. Any lakes are at least 40miles from Phoenix. Too hot to do anything outdoors.

Crime areas: Most of Mesa & Gilbert, some areas of Chandler and good portion of Glendale, and most of South Phoenix..
Old 03-24-2013, 05:09 AM
House of CR.

Red Stwokay,

I don't know which part of west Texas your considering, but the true west Texas area gets very few tornadoes, they do get a few dust storms though. Check out the San Antonio and Austin area if you want a more cosmopolitan area. The summers are hot, but the spring time is great and the winters are very mild usually. The Dallas, Fort Worth area is very nice, especially in the suburbs and there is an active group of S2000 owners in either area I've mentioned.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:54 PM

Retired from Navy here in San Diego about 13 years ago. Great for S2000 cruising. Drive coast line, drive to mountains. Yea lot of traffic can be a pain. Cost of living getting ridiculous and California Liberal voters keep voting for more taxes, don"t get it. But, San Diego is probally one of the most Conservative Republican areas in Cali due to high population of retired military. But I do see San Diego starting to lean more left cause the young ones have all been fooled.