Go Back  S2000 Forums > Regional > West > San Diego Chapter
Palomar/Julian run or maybe Idyllwild June 18 or 19? >

Palomar/Julian run or maybe Idyllwild June 18 or 19?

Old 06-06-2011, 03:25 AM

I am taking some time off and booked myself into an amazingly affordable little B&B up in Idyllwild for that weekend and I partly chose the location because of its proximity to really exciting roads.

My goal was to get as close to Mt. Palomar Observatory as possible while staying within my budget and landing in something very conducive to completely relaxing and unplugging... and which did NOT include a tent, a yurt, or a sleeping bag. (Okay, I confess I saw some yurts at some web sites for places up in Big Sur that I thought would be plenty cool, but Highway 1 just north of SLO is blocked and I'd have to do a route that would actually avoid most of the coolest parts of the drive, so what's the point???? Plus they were all booked anyway.)

But back on topic... we need to do a cool drive and I think Palomar and/or Julian or that vicinity would be nice. Vinny, John? You guys game?

Yes, I know the 19th is Father's Day. Since I'm not a Dad it's a non-issue.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:31 AM

doh, idyllwild is a super fun drive. wish i could go but already got plans, have fun!
Old 06-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Resident Vigilante

Hi Roseanne, I am in. We could hit 74 and Palomar though it would make for a long day. Where did you have in mind meeting up?

Last edited by s2kx2; 06-06-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:38 PM

^^ I don't feel I know the area well enough to suggest and would like to ask if you or Vinny would give input on that. I'll be staying in Idyllwild Friday night already so for all I care we can meet up there Saturday morning at Cafe Aroma. From there, I don't know? Julian has some great apple pies. Or the Observatory (haven't been there in ages).

The 243 out to Banning looks like a great road, but what the heck is in Banning? LOL!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Resident Vigilante

Spoke to Vinny he is in if he gets his car out of the shop also Dr. Tim is in.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:43 PM

Cool. Is Vinny's car ever NOT in the shop?

I'll want to hear all about his adventures at Buttonwillow since I was unable to make that track day (and I am massively bummed about that).

Don't think I've met Dr. Tim. The more the merrier.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:51 PM

I could, for that matter, meet you guys in Temecula and we could go up to Palomar and environs from there. Eventually land somewhere near Lake Henshaw or wherever? I'm open to suggestions.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:05 PM
just havin' fun

Wow, I would love to join you guys. It has been over 20 years since I have driven that route. However my S and I will be in a car show,(can you believe it)!
Old 06-06-2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by will williams View Post
Wow, I would love to join you guys. It has been over 20 years since I have driven that route. However my S and I will be in a car show,(can you believe it)!
Hey Will what car show?
Old 06-06-2011, 08:42 PM
just havin' fun

A charity car show located in Fontana. Dont know how big it is going to be. My daughter talked me into entering it. So I sent in a photo and I was surprised they let me enter it under "High Performance Sport Car".
But I must admit I would rather go on the run with Murphy.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy View Post
. . . The 243 out to Banning looks like a great road, but what the heck is in Banning? LOL!
It is a great road, rode my K1100 on it all the time when I lived in Moreno Valley. From Idyllwild you can take 243 to Banning then head out to the Palm Springs Aerial Tram, they have Ride and Dine tickets after 3 p.m. http://www.pstramway.com/tickets.html. Its a good deal, and a great view from the restaurant.

edit: Also, be sure for both Idyllwild and if you go on the Tram to take jackets. It's cool up in the mountains. 58 degrees at the top of the Tram as of 2 p.m. today.

Last edited by TTMartin; 06-07-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Resident Vigilante

Chazman you coming on this run?
Old 06-07-2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by s2kx2 View Post
Chazman you coming on this run?
I'll keep you post John, I also have a car show this weekend with the CR-Z. but next weekend I just might be able to sneek down. So where is the meeting spot and time?
Old 06-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Resident Vigilante

Originally Posted by chazdawg35 View Post
I'll keep you post John, I also have a car show this weekend with the CR-Z. but next weekend I just might be able to sneek down. So where is the meeting spot and time?
If the fair Roseanne is up the hill already we could do one of the following:

1. Meet in Murrieta off of Cal Oaks then drive up the hill and meet Roseanne at Cafe Aroma (Great food) for breakfast then take the back roads up to Palomar or Palm springs or ?

2. We all meet at the 76 and take south grade up to Palomar stopping at Mothers Kitchen then down east grade into jullian for breakfast then ?

By the way Charlie, my neighbor Jerry just bought a black CRZ that has every possible option Honda makes for the car, he let me drive it and I must say I was impressed with it.

Last edited by s2kx2; 06-07-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:11 PM

Well John IF! I can get down, Sunday the 19th would be better for me so I can go down Sat. and spend the night. Do a fresh start, i hate the 1 1/2hr. at 5 in the moring drive down THAN drive some more LOL!
Old 06-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Resident Vigilante

Understood, lets see what Roseanne thinks ....
Old 06-09-2011, 11:10 PM
Resident Vigilante

Who is in for next weekend?
Old 06-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Resident Track Whore :)

Cool. Is Vinny's car ever NOT in the shop?

I'll want to hear all about his adventures at Buttonwillow since I was unable to make that track day (and I am massively bummed about that).

Don't think I've met Dr. Tim. The more the merrier.
Not to hijack the thread, but yes, my car is always in the shop anymore and has been in the shop since Buttonwillow (5/16) with the same issue. The car was turned back to stock, had ECU swapped, and is currently having the entire gauge cluster swapped to see where the problem lies. The engine ran great for 3 sessions at BW, then it all went to hell with CELs again.

I also think I know what my handling issues were at Laguna Seca. Not only was my alignment bad, but my shocks are shot as well. At BW, the car was swaying and swerving through turns and never felt planted. If nothing else, I am definitely increasing my skills by driving an ill-handling car all the time. So, I'm attempting to fix the handling by recenty ordering some Megan Racing adjustable coilovers. I bought 2 x-braces from Morgan as well and have plans for a sub-frame connector and roll bar by November. I will basically have a racing suspension then.

Anyway...I may do this drive in my PT Cruiser if I decide to go, but I also already have another plan for that day as well that looks like may happen. So, I am not completely sure yet what I am doing.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:54 PM

John and Chaz:
I'm fine with the idea of doing Sunday if it makes it possible for Chaz to join us. I'm inclined to say meet me at Cafe Aroma (cuz then I get to sleep in a little!) and we'll go from there. I do want to get over to the observatory, but that does make for a long day. If you guys are up for it, I am.

I'm also fine with the 243 into Banning or 74 into Palm Desert if Palomar is too painfully long a day from Idyllwild.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:56 PM

Vinnie: Bummer about Buttonwillow. Sorry to hear! Pull out the PT Cruiser. If we're letting Chaz show up in a "green" car I think we can put up with your family hauler.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:36 PM

I'm still up in the air, have to see what unfolds this weekend first
Old 06-10-2011, 10:05 PM
Resident Vigilante

John and Chaz:
I'm fine with the idea of doing Sunday if it makes it possible for Chaz to join us. I'm inclined to say meet me at Cafe Aroma (cuz then I get to sleep in a little!) and we'll go from there. I do want to get over to the observatory, but that does make for a long day. If you guys are up for it, I am.

I'm also fine with the 243 into Banning or 74 into Palm Desert if Palomar is too painfully long a day from Idyllwild.
I am good with this as well. We could meet you at Aroma and have Breakfast then take the back way in through Anza up to Palomar. Going to Aroma this Sunday for the Jazz festival, got some friends and fellow songwriters playing should be a kick! Vinny what about the other option?
Old 06-10-2011, 10:57 PM
Resident Vigilante

"I'm also fine with the 243 into Banning or 74 into Palm Desert if Palomar is too painfully long a day from Idyllwild."

Not the way we drive Roseanne

Ok so it looks like we will meet at the Comfort Inn in Murrieta at 7:00 am Sunday the 19th, drive to Idyllwild to Cafe Aroma for breakfast meeting Roseanne there. Afterwards we'll take the back roads to Palomar: Chaz you got to make this with your CRZ brother. If you want to crash on our living room sofa Saturday night that would be cool.

Those going:
Dr. Tim
Roseanne
myself
Vinny ?
Charlie?

Anyone else interested?

Last edited by s2kx2; 06-10-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Resident Vigilante

Yo Vinny can yous do this next Sunday?
Old 06-11-2011, 09:19 PM

I can do Sunday the 19th for sure.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:22 PM

Me and Chaz can battle it out with the CRZ vs my TP Bruiser for caboose supremacy.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Resident Vigilante

Is Chaz man coming?
Old 06-11-2011, 10:25 PM

The Chaz man cometh.

No, I don't actually know that. He said he wasn't sure yet and it's dependent on some things this weekend, apparently. I just wanted to use the above expression cuz it sounded like such fun.

PS And Vinny, if CJ comes along tell him I plan on giving him endless **** about Long Beach. Bwahahahahah! (just kidding)

Last edited by RMurphy; 06-11-2011 at 10:26 PM. Reason: added post script
Old 06-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Resident Vigilante

Hey Roseanne,
It looks like its going to be Sunday the 19th as Vinny can make that day and so can Dr. Tim. Can you think of anyone else who may want to make the trek?
Old 06-13-2011, 12:06 AM

Perhaps a few people from past End of Month runs in LA, but I assume they have seen this thread and would respond if they were available. But I can pop off a couple of PMs.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:51 AM

Driving from Idyllwild to Palomar Mt for good roads to drive on, is like driving from Laughlin to Reno to gamble. If you meet in Temecula and drive to Palomar the person who will have the best ride is Murph, because she’ll have drove the best roads from Idyllwild getting down to Temecula. That might work for Murph, if she’s checking out on Sunday anyway.

I really suggest the San Diego crowd, expand their horizons a little and consider getting up to Idyllwild. Valle Vista the 74 to Mountain Center, 243 to Idyllwild and on to Banning (then reverse it) is an awesome run that to me is a lot more fun than a Palomar Mountain run on the weekend. Your speeds will be faster, the turns are just as much fun, the views are better, and there is a lot less traffic. Palomar Mountain is great to push yourself technically, but, the run through Idyllwild will cause all the stress in your life to just melt away.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:44 AM
Resident Vigilante

What we will do (because Roseanne will already be "up the hill") is those wanting to make the drive will meet in Murrieta, then we will drive up to meet her for breakfast then plan from there which route we will take down the hill 74 or 243 to Palomar as Roseanne has not been there for awhile. Why don't you join us, if you start driving now you could be in Cali in time to rest a day, maybe two and go with us.

Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Driving from Idyllwild to Palomar Mt for good roads to drive on, is like driving from Laughlin to Reno to gamble. If you meet in Temecula and drive to Palomar the person who will have the best ride is Murph, because she’ll have drove the best roads from Idyllwild getting down to Temecula. That might work for Murph, if she’s checking out on Sunday anyway.

I really suggest the San Diego crowd, expand their horizons a little and consider getting up to Idyllwild. Valle Vista the 74 to Mountain Center, 243 to Idyllwild and on to Banning (then reverse it) is an awesome run that to me is a lot more fun than a Palomar Mountain run on the weekend. Your speeds will be faster, the turns are just as much fun, the views are better, and there is a lot less traffic. Palomar Mountain is great to push yourself technically, but, the run through Idyllwild will cause all the stress in your life to just melt away.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
That might work for Murph, if she’s checking out on Sunday anyway.
Not checking out Sunday. But neither here nor there. The guys will be driving up the hill to Idyllwild since that is where I'm gonna be and I can sleep a little extra that way. That will be a nice drive for them for sure. From there, we can freaking make it up as we go along, for all I care. I had Palomar on my mind since I hadn't been there in ages and the AutoClub mag got me thinking about it, but honestly I don't care all THAT much so long as we have good drives.

Nothing here is etched in stone. Merely guidelines. I mean, the whole reason I'm taking off that weekend is to unplug and melt a little. I'm booked into this sweet little B&B and I'm aiming for a few days of quiet walks, wine, song, and local color.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:38 PM

Got good news today. There was a loose connection in the VSS causing te speedometer to do its crazy ****. He is going to monitor it another day or 2 and then I could pick it up Thurs or Fri and have it for the drive.

TTMartin...Palomar is actually the sleepiest of the roads we take down here. I skip Palomar most of the time now.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:59 PM

^^ That's great Vinny. Of course, I think watching you slog the TP Bruiser through a few corners might have been gobs of fun!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:07 PM

^^ That's great Vinny. Of course, I think watching you slog the TP Bruiser through a few corners might have been gobs of fun!
Actually, I would feel bad for everyone not able to keep up with it You forget that I had it out at Buttonwillow for a few hot laps.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:39 PM

Sorry I'm out
Old 06-13-2011, 07:21 PM

PS And Vinny, if CJ comes along tell him I plan on giving him endless **** about Long Beach. Bwahahahahah! (just kidding)
CJ is going to make the trip..lol

EDIT...and Chaz is a p***y and backing out only because he doesn't want to get spanked by my Bruiser on the twisties!! HAHAHA!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:59 PM

Old 06-13-2011, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by chazdawg35 View Post
As long as that wasn't you driving, I don't think I have much to worry about!! LOL It's all about the DRIVER!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Palomar/Julian run or maybe Idyllwild June 18 or 19?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.