R&T Dragon Article

Old 09-15-2014, 07:54 AM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

R&T Dragon Article

I enjoyed this, saw it on the other site:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/features...peciale-dragon
Old 09-15-2014, 08:20 AM

Good find cosmo, I had no I idea such an underground community existed. I rode the road on a motor bike when it was just Deal's Gap. I set a new record for me of 30 to 40 minutes. I was in no hurry and didn't time it. Probably holding up traffic behind. It is beautiful scenery.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:29 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by cosmomiller View Post
I enjoyed this, saw it on the other site:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/features...peciale-dragon
Not a bad article, a bit of BS here and there, but on average, pretty accurate. The Gravel lot at Tabcat bridge is the unofficial official western start of the Dragon, not the overlook, Tail of the Dragon Motel, restaurant (and t-shirt shop) is the unofficial end on the east end. There are a number of people who run the Dragon around 11 minutes (no, I'm not one of them). A night run across the Dragon is an ungodly scary (but fun) drive. I have lead a group of newbies across at night and, when you get to the Gap, more interesting to see the shaky knees and white knuckles. If you get a chance, come out to one of the S2000 Dragon events, you'll have a great time (and you don't have to drive fast to have a great time there).
Old 09-16-2014, 03:32 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Here's a little something I wrote in honor of all the Harley riders on the Dragon.

An open message to all of those daredevil, Harley-Davidson drivers doing rolling roadblocks on the Dragon.

I understand you're unerringly proud of your 4000 lb, chrome infested, buckskin fringed, real plastic, imitation leather saddlebags and the ape hanger handlebars and you spend months polishing that exciting cogged driving belt to get the maximum sheen. You work nights and weekends to get just the appropriate amount of ersatz wear on your custom designed, hand selected rayon sheepskin seat cover. I know how difficult it is to select just the right, fashionably ragged and properly faded HD shirt from Leroy and Rufus's HD shop in Redneck, Arkansas. Do us both a favor and don't get me started on the attire for your "old lady" (a term applied to any female of any age) who gets the distinct pleasure (to say nothing of inflamed hemorrhoids) from that oh so comfortable (and laughingly named) pillion seat. The boys down at the law office all know about your little motorcycle fetish and laugh knowingly when you bring up that 47252hp throbbing between your masculine clad and properly faded (see HD shirt above for example) designer jeans specially made for you and available at any Wally-world in the civilized world) blue jeans (fashionably faded of course). You worked for months to get just the proper amount of 6 o'clock shadow even though the other guys in the boardroom keep dropping hints that you're looking a "bit scruffy". But why should you care, you have a real mans machine made by real men.

But (and you knew there would be a but, didn't you?). After 5 weeks of planning, arranging to meet up with 30 or 40 of your closest riding buddies, you put your carefully chosen wardrobe together, make sure it all fits in those HAWT! saddlebags and head for the beautiful Dragon in Western NC/Eastern TN to spend a weekend totally pissing people off by reaching a maximum velocity of 28 mph on the rare straight stretch of the Dragon while manfully navigating some of those 318 curves at a nose-bleed inducing 15 mph. Meanwhile people who really aren't interested in watching you manhandle your 6730 lb, two wheeled limousine are slowly (rapidly, actually) becoming more and more frustrated as you attempt to show how manly you are by attacking those curves.

...and you wonder why everyone calls Harley riders organic speed bumps (well, you've also been call thoughtless a$holes too). Well, Cletus, it's really very simple, you don't take advantage of the 500 pull-offs that are available for you to pull over for the, by now, fuming people behind you. You never bother checking your mirrors (those funny shaped glass things at the end of your 22 foot tall ape hangers) or making any attempt to be a thoughtful rider. We really do love to see you at the Dragon, whether it's parked at Killboy's store, or across the street at the Tail of the Dragon hotel or lounging so relaxed and manly in the restaurant. On the Dragon at 10 mph? Not so much.