Awesome day at the track

Old 07-15-2011, 02:37 PM

Talking Awesome day at the track(w/video)

So I went to the track this morning. Had a meeting at 7:45 and had the track from 8-12. I followed another S2000 for the first 3 laps just to get used to the track and figure out the right lines. He was a really cool guy and told me to pass him whenever I got comfortable(He didn't push his car too hard). After I passed him I picked up the pace but got a little crazy and had some horrible lines, a lot of sliding and just too aggressive, not smooth. But I did eventually figure it out and cut my lap time little by little(considering no slow cars blocked me haha). I probably started around 2:40 or so for the first couple laps and then my fastest was 2:22.2 which is pretty solid. I did struggle with the back end a little bit and spun out(I think I lifted when I felt the tail start to go ). The 2nd spin was on my last lap of the day and my tires just weren't gripping that well anymore. It's a right hand curve uphill, you just let off the gas before entering the turn, then back on the gas as you enter and power through. I hit 80mph that lap before so I tried beating that and at about 78ish I just lost the tail and tried correcting but ended up facing the wrong way.

I passed a bunch of cars and got passed a bunch of times as well. I passed a Lotus Elise which was cool and then got passed by an R8 but was able to stick with him for about a Lap(he destroyed me on the straight). There were a ton of cool cars there. Too many to name but I noticed there were a ton of Porsches, especially GT3 and GT3 RS's. Some of them I could stick with in the turns till we got to the straights.

Overall I was really impressed with my car. No problems at all. You could smell plenty of tires and brakes but it stopped perfectly lap after lap, no brake fade. My tires didn't get nearly as worn out as I thought but they did get really hot and start getting a bit loose by the last few laps as I said before. The engine temp stayed perfectly normal and I barely burned any oil either.

My friend got plenty of video so once it's edited I'll post it.

Here's a map of the track. http://www.highplainsraceway.com/ima...map-large3.gif

My two spinouts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuMzs...el_video_title

And my fastest lap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9CMx...el_video_title

Last edited by AP1S2000; 07-19-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Bug Zapper

Cool beans man. I gotta run down these rear tires (RE760s) and get my new Star Specs on and some new front brakes and then I am there, hopefully.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:03 PM

J E A L O U S

Bought my S with the intention of some track time....but I just haven't been able to find the time yet.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Party Rock Crew

Sounds like a BLAST! Bet the adrenaline was pumpin'.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Marioshi View Post
Cool beans man. I gotta run down these rear tires (RE760s) and get my new Star Specs on and some new front brakes and then I am there, hopefully.
I have RE760's on my car now. I like them. They're good tires for the price. A lot better than my old ones, just not as good as the stock ones. But they probably last longer too.

Originally Posted by Silverstone_Ryan View Post
J E A L O U S

Bought my S with the intention of some track time....but I just haven't been able to find the time yet.
Oh man, you gotta get out there! It was probably one of the coolest things I've ever done along with skydiving haha And I learned a ton too, I really improved a lot.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by starrman View Post
Sounds like a BLAST! Bet the adrenaline was pumpin'.
Oh there was plenty of that haha
Old 07-15-2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by AP1S2000 View Post
Oh man, you gotta get out there! It was probably one of the coolest things I've ever done along with skydiving haha And I learned a ton too, I really improved a lot.
Well I hope it's better than that or I'm not going!

I've done skydiving, bungee jumping, and played a ton of competitive paintball in my younger years. I always liked a good 'rush'. I'm hoping the track will be even better...
Old 07-15-2011, 03:33 PM

Well I hope it's better than that or I'm not going!

I've done skydiving, bungee jumping, and played a ton of competitive paintball in my younger years. I always liked a good 'rush'. I'm hoping the track will be even better...
I would love to have skydiving as a hobby, but if I had to choose between skydiving and track day, i'd choose track day. Skydiving is too quick. Track day can last all day and it is definitely a crazy rush, especially if you push hard enough. Plus you get better and better and that's always fun.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:37 PM

J E A L O U S

Same here! Haven't been on a track in about 4 yrs!
Old 07-15-2011, 03:45 PM

I would love to have skydiving as a hobby
I just did it once, along with the bungee jumping. The skydiving was just for the experience. I did the bungee jump for my bachelor party eleven years ago. I thought jumping off a bridge was a great thing to do before 'taking the plunge'. Hahaha
Old 07-15-2011, 03:47 PM

I just did it once, along with the bungee jumping. The skydiving was just for the experience. I did the bungee jump for my bachelor party eleven years ago. I thought jumping off a bridge was a great thing to do before 'taking the plunge'. Hahaha
Hahaha. I definitely need to do bungee jumping. I've done hang gliding too and I've done skydiving twice now.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Bug Zapper

I have RE760's on my car now. I like them. They're good tires for the price. A lot better than my old ones, just not as good as the stock ones. But they probably last longer too.
Def, I have had the RE760s on my rear wheels for about 18,000 miles and I figure they have 2-3K left in them. They have good grip for a set of tires with such good tread life but Star Specs came up for 400 for a set and I couldnt pass that up. I put the front ones on and I am majorly impressed (previous fronts were some Falken garbage). They are awesome looking too. Beefy with racy looking tread pattern/compound.

Last edited by Marioshi; 07-15-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Marioshi View Post
Def, I have had the RE760s on my rear wheels for about 18,000 miles and I figure they have 2-3K left in them. They have good grip for a set of tires with such good tread life but Star Specs came up for 400 for a set and I couldnt pass that up. I put the front ones on and I am majorly impressed (previous fronts were some Falken garbage). They are awesome looking too. Beefy with racy looking tread pattern/compound.
Let me know how you like them when you get them on. I do like the RE760's but I'll probably change to something else next time, just to see what's out there and see if there's something better. I notice more under steer with these tires too.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:39 PM
just havin' fun

Now you can understand why we love to track our S's. It is the most fun thing you can do with your pants on. And now you will be hooked.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by will williams View Post
Now you can understand why we love to track our S's. It is the most fun thing you can do with your pants on. And now you will be hooked.
I think I am hooked. I've been watching videos of the track watching peoples different lines and figuring out how to get faster. I think i'm going to go again next Friday or maybe in August sometime. I have to, at least one more time and I wanna do it soon so the track is still fresh in my head.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:56 AM

+1

Sounds like you're hooked after day 1.

( I've got 30+ track days in my old 911, haven't got my s2k out there yet).

Suggestions/tips-

- take a ride with an instructor or more experienced driver, you'll learn a lot about the car and the line.

- smooth,smooth, smooth is the secret to speed ie learn to go slow to go fast

- don't use your parking brake after a run, this can cause uneven cooling of the discs and warping. ( you're brakes will get hotter and hotter as you get faster)

- learn to keep you're head up and look ahead, this will smooth you out.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by gerry100 View Post
+1

Sounds like you're hooked after day 1.

( I've got 30+ track days in my old 911, haven't got my s2k out there yet).

Suggestions/tips-

- take a ride with an instructor or more experienced driver, you'll learn a lot about the car and the line.

- smooth,smooth, smooth is the secret to speed ie learn to go slow to go fast

- don't use your parking brake after a run, this can cause uneven cooling of the discs and warping. ( you're brakes will get hotter and hotter as you get faster)

- learn to keep you're head up and look ahead, this will smooth you out.
I assumed using the parking brake wouldn't be good for cooling the brakes down so I didn't use it when the car was sitting.

I did get a chance to ride in a fully modified E36 M3 with another driver who was a race instructor through some other program. I learned a lot from riding with her and my friend rode with her husband in his his fully modded E36 M3. I learned better lines and driving techniques. I'm hoping to use what I've learned now on the next track day. Hopefully next weekend.

Last edited by AP1S2000; 07-16-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:04 AM
Hybrid Hater

Thats awesome AP1. Maybe the next time around ill join you out there
Old 07-17-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by 0tyrael0 View Post
Thats awesome AP1. Maybe the next time around ill join you out there
Go Friday! haha
Old 07-17-2011, 11:54 AM

great advice from gerry 100, just about says it all.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:19 AM
THE STIG

Freaking sweet dude! Sounds like a blast!
Old 07-18-2011, 06:47 AM

Those were just a few tips from my experience.

You'll learn a lot more from othere drivers and your experiences.

This is the part of the curve where you double your knowledge every day at the track.

As a seasoned instructor at BMWCCA GV region said - " it's more like dancing than fighting"
Old 07-18-2011, 07:14 PM

Video of the track added! One video of my two spins and one of my fastest lap

Last edited by AP1S2000; 07-18-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:54 PM

That was really awesome man.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Awesome day at the track

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.