Off-Topic Forum for the discussion of anything that doesn't fit into one of the other forums.

Credit Union dumba$$es

Old 01-28-2013, 03:38 PM

Credit Union dumba$$es

Today I wonder what requirements must be met to be employed by my credit union as a customer service representative. Whatever they are, I can assure you they are definitely NOT high enough. I knew within the first 5 minutes of speaking with this woman that I should just leave and come back another time, or call and speak to someone else. But alas, apparently I'm a glutton for punishment and could not allow myself to act immediately upon the gut instinct that this woman was clueless and I should not have asked her anything because even if she answered my questions, I would not be able to trust the answers.

All I wanted to know was what are the specifics of the process of getting financing from them in order to purchase a used car. Should have been simple enough. Oh, not so! First I had to correct her when she said I wasn't pre-approved. Eventually after assuring her I get reminded every time I log into my account online that I am, in fact, pre-approved for some ridiculously stupid amount and it's good through end of March or something like that, I finally got an, "Oh, yes, you are correct. I guess I don't need to make you go through the application process." *sigh* I should have faked that I received an important text and left right then.

Then she starts reading me the requirements of a page long document and when I asked if she could print it, she said, "Oh, well, I don't think this printer works so I can just *tell* you." Um, how about you send the print job to some other networked printer here in the office? "No, I don't know how to do that." *sigh*

We move to a different computer. I get the print out. She says I have to bring the current owner of the car with me to a credit union branch to fill out the form with me. Um... really? Seeing as I'm pretty sure they don't have branches in San Diego (where the car I'm considering is located), that could be a problem. I ask if there are locations near there. She pulls up a list of locations and starts reading them to me. She has no idea if ANY of the cities she is reading off are near San Diego. At that moment, I determine two things: 1) that the closest location would likely be in southern Orange County and, 2) that she's mostly useless.

We start talking about interest rates and whatnot. She is scribbling information down onto little scraps of that slimy-style thermal paper that she pulls out of the credit card receipt machine (I guess those are easier to get than a notepad or regular piece of paper). It becomes apparent to me she plans on giving me these little slips of paper -- which want to curl up like receipts so often do -- so that I have the information. I ask if she can't just print out that information for me. Oh no... that's for internal use only, but she can "show" me the page which I can't see anyway because the screen doesn't turn far enough and the glare off the window. I ask about how they determine the loan amount for a used vehicle. She hastily reads the screen and finally answers, "We use Kelly Blue Book," and smiles at me a grin of self-satisfaction as though she has stumbled across a terribly useful bit of information which will provide me the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

Me: This car isn't in Kelly Blue Book.
Her: Why not?
Me: I think that's a question better posed to the KBB people and not me. What other means do you use if a car is not listed in KBB?
Her: Um, I don't know.
Me: Well, I happen to know it's listed in NADA. Do you use that?
Her: OH! Yes, we can use that.
Me: *sigh* Okay, that's good. Glad I asked.
Her: Let me just make a phone call. *mumbles to some lady on the phone about a Lotus Elise and if NADA is okay and apparently the woman confirms yeah, NADA is okay.*
Me: Okay, great. Can I have your business card?
Her: Oh yes... those are over at my desk.

And we walk over to her desk to get the business card, I leave the slimy bits of receipt papers on the other desk completely on purpose. Why? Because I'm pretty sure I can get this info elsewhere and in a better format.

And the real reason I got her business card? Well, so that I know her name and know NEVER ever to get stuck with her again the next time I need truly useful information about anything in my credit union.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:18 PM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Tough day, Murph?
Old 01-28-2013, 05:31 PM
normal aspiration

the change is hell, ain't it murph.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by kgf3076 View Post
Tough day, Murph?
It's Monday.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:00 PM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by RMurphy View Post
It's Monday.
Some weeks have 7 Mondays.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:51 PM
mlc

Okay, let me just say....WHO CARES!!!!!!!

Tell us about the Lotus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feel any better?

Sorry Roseanne to easy to pass up, BUT tell us about the Lotus. We need PICS!!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:05 PM

Sorry man, nothing to tell yet. Once I've gotten the info I really need from the credit union, then I will be in a position to make the drive to go see it and, if it's up to snuff, make an offer. But that's a very long ways from a done deal so, like I said, not much to tell.

I will say this much though... it's one of my favorite colors (not yellow either) and it's sexy-looking as all hell.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:09 PM

Interesting, was looking at a Lotus the other day. Okay, it was at the 99 cent store in a Hot Wheels package. Lots of great cars, 99 cents. Lol.

Waiting for the next dumba$$es thread.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by fm_sd View Post
Lol! It is my favorite expression, after all. Heck we've got me on video calling a Harley rider a dumba$$. Not that he could hear me. Lol!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:43 AM

+1. Hopefully not Lotus owner dumba$$es!! Good luck!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:36 AM
EYECELLEM

Murph, as someone with a "little" experience on car buying and financing, let me add my .02 cents worth.

The bank (or credit union in this situation) needs a book value (blue book, nada, depends on the lending institution) on the vehicle in question as they don't want to loan more (they will loan a certain percent over book depending on the buyer's credit worthiness) than what the car is worth.

From my experience, it's best to get approved (not pre approved) for an auto loan. (approval varies from lender to lender, but usually means the buyer either fills out an online credit app or a paper credit app at the bank, so they can look at your credit history, having an account there is not a guarantee of approval). Pre approval is not the same as approval. It means you have met some some of the requirements for a loan, pending a proper ap and credit check and final approval.

Getting approved means you've got the money ready, now look for the car.

So it does make a person's head spin (the process). It's usually easier if you buy from a dealership even when using your credit union. The dealership will get a lot of the paperwork done since they want your business and they *usually* know more about the process than the credit union or bank. It's does get complicated when you're buying from an individual and using a bank/credit union to pay for the car. Sometimes it can be a case of the blind leading the blind.

Good luck with the Elise, hope you're not trading in the S. The gal at the credit union may quit if you do.

Last edited by Glenn1; 01-29-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:39 PM

Thanks Glenn. I've done the process once before although I admit I have normally always preferred to deal strictly in cash transactions (you know, don't buy it if you can't afford it kind of thing). But that last loan situation was for a new car from a dealership and this one is used and private party, so I figured it would be different. The approval is actually a done deal dependent on vehicle of course. Their terms are 120% of book value. I figured they would accept NADA but of course wanted to confirm. I am pretty sure I knew more about the process than she did. As far as the seller needing to come to the credit union with me, that seems like something there must be a way around, but I'll call main office about it when I have a chance.

Not selling the S. In fact, I'm at West End alignment shop right now (this moment) sitting in the car as they give me what Darin described as a "race lite" slightly more aggressive alignment.

Last edited by RMurphy; 01-29-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:45 PM

"Race Lite"

do they take out the spare tire?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:28 PM
THE STIG

Any takers?? Who's going to start the "dumba$$ thread"??
Old 01-29-2013, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by jagg View Post
"Race Lite"

do they take out the spare tire?
Basically they just gave me a little more negative camber.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Switchblade View Post
Any takers?? Who's going to start the "dumba$$ thread"??
Give me a week. I'm sure I'll meet a suitably qualified dumb-a$$ about whom I feel a need to rant. Heck, maybe I already have.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:42 PM
THE STIG

Give me a week. I'm sure I'll meet a suitably qualified dumb-a$$ about whom I feel a need to rant. Heck, maybe I already have.
I meet at least one every day. I work with a bunch.....
Old 01-29-2013, 05:59 PM
House of CR.

Here's a perfectly good example of a "dumb ***". And he once owned a Honda before it went boom!

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/29/b...-trunk-remote/
Old 01-29-2013, 06:01 PM

I see. Inside-out tire eater, for a commuter vehicle though, aye ?
Old 01-29-2013, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by jagg View Post
... for a commuter vehicle though, aye ?
Commuter? That's my Yaris. The S mostly only comes out for canyons, autocross, and track. The only exceptions are when the Yaris is in the shop or when I get a wild hair and feel like it would be nicer to have the top down when driving to a client site... like the one located up in San Luis Obispo (read: very scenic drive).

The negative camber increase may just be a response to my comments that I am noticing a bit more outside edge wear on the fronts than I would like to see after running a few autocross days with it.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:02 PM

you running loose?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point View Post
Here's a perfectly good example of a "dumb ***". And he once owned a Honda before it went boom!

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/29/b...-trunk-remote/
DAMN METH HEADS!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:38 PM

Old 01-29-2013, 11:36 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

A couple years back a 20something guy pulled into a church lot with a new Z3. Was unable to back it up and asked us for help. The drive from the dealer lot to our parking lot was the first time he had driven a stick and did not know how to get it into reverse.

I just taught my 21 year old daughter how to drive a stick with the S!

The exploding trunk is not confined to welding equipment. Be careful transporting gas cans and propane cylinders. The energized brake lights serve as an ignition source.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:22 AM
House of CR.

Roseanne,

These are the European alignment spec's for the S2000. An excellent street/touring setting, how close are your alignment settings to these?

Front
Caster Left 6 deg 45"
Caster Right 6 deg 45"
Camber Left -1 deg 00"
Camber Right -1 deg 00"
Toe Left 0.0"
Toe Right 0.0"
Total Toe 0.0"

Rear
Camber Left -2 deg 00"
Camber Right -2 deg 00"
Toe Left 0.20"