Off-Topic Forum for the discussion of anything that doesn't fit into one of the other forums.

computer problems!

Old 01-18-2013, 08:55 AM

computer problems!

Hey Dudes and Dudettes, has anyone had problems with their computer? I can't download updates, it just keeps failing. Than a bunch of my friends say their computers are screwing up. I have AVG anti virus and ran a scan and came up with no viruses. Any ideas?
Old 01-18-2013, 09:24 AM
House of CR.

Malware + viruses. Shoot that thing!
Old 01-18-2013, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point View Post
Malware + viruses. Shoot that thing!
I talked to Microsoft and they said I have registry problems and a trojan, how do I fix that. Also the update failure code is 8020002E.

Last edited by chazdawg35; 01-18-2013 at 09:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-18-2013, 09:50 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Error Code 8020002E:
Answer
Syed N replied on Forum Moderator Community Star

Hi gauravecevnit,

1. What is the operating system installed on your computer?
2. Are there multiple updates which fail?

Step 1: Run Windows Update troubleshooter and check if it helps. (For Windows 7)
Open the Windows Update troubleshooter

Try to reset the Windows Update Components and see if it helps. Refer the below mentioned article for the same. (For Windows Vista)
How do I reset Windows Update components?

Step 2: If this does not help, try installing the updates in a clean boot state and see if it helps. To do so, follow these steps.

a. Click Start, type “msconfig.exe” (without quotes) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
b. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)
c. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all. Click OK, and then click Restart. Install the updates after the restart.

Note: Make sure you put the computer back to Normal Startup once updates finish installing.
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

Also refer:
Troubleshoot problems with installing updates - Vista
Troubleshoot problems with installing updates - Windows 7

Hope this helps!

Syed N – Microsoft Support
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:19 PM

It could be very simple or very complex. That's why people have entire careers doing tech support.

I could send you a list of the typical utilities I use when I suspect malware in a situation. Thing is, you don't know for sure it's malware. I'll compile a list later when I'm back at my desk and you can try them. But did you try using System Restore and go back to a date before it started malfunctioning? That's the first and most obvious step. Also, there are lots of discussion boards which provide DIY guidance, including the AVG website so you may want to seek those out. You will need to be very specific and detailed in your descriptions...and very patient. Or consider a trip to Geek Squad. Not my favorite choice, but possibly the simplest for you.

First and foremost, back up anything you care about *now* unless you know there is nothing on your computer you need (family pictures, email, contact lists, etc.). You should already be doing that anyway, but in case you are like most people and don't bother, this is your wake up call. Carbonite online automated backup can be had for like $50 a year. No excuse for not having backups anymore.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:20 PM

Hey kgf I'm runniing windows7 and 9 security updates fail when trying to download them. I'll try your steps, thanks and let you know what happens.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:22 PM

Cool Murphy! I didn't want to bother you at work your probably busy. Will do with the back ups.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:26 PM

P.S. The fact that your friends are having problems means nothing. At any given moment most of your friends are bound to have something wrong with their computers. At this point, most households have more computers than they have cars, and the users of those computers know even less about how to use one (or what makes it work) than they do about their cars. And we all know the level of education most people have regarding their cars.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:50 PM

Makes sense Murphy ^, kfg that set up didn't work thanks for trying. My computer work OK it just will not download the updates.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:19 PM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

You can manually download the updates. Do a Google search for Microsoft updates, go to the website and download the ones you don't have. You do know that if you don't need them they are skipped though, correct?

And you do know that my reply was copied from MS TechNet? I run Win 7 and Win 8 in a virtual machine on a Mac. If I have problems, I just revert to an earlier copy and start over.

Last edited by kgf3076; 01-18-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by kgf3076 View Post
You can manually download the updates. Do a Google search for Microsoft updates, go to the website and download the ones you don't have. You do know that if you don't need them they are skipped though, correct?

And you do know that my reply was copied from MS TechNet? I run Win 7 and Win 8 in a virtual machine on a Mac. If I have problems, I just revert to an earlier copy and start over.
I'll try downloading manually, it doesn't skip the updates it fails all 9 of them. Another weird thing is that Murphy told me to do a system restore and I tryed that but it tells me there is no restore point.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:43 PM

Unless System Restore was disabled, there is usually one created before each Windows update is applied. If your screen shows none, try selecting the checkbox for "show more restore points."

Before using any of the utilities below, do create a System Restore Point. Yes, even though you are jacked up now, if you mess up using one of the utilities below, you may be less jacked up now than later so it's wise to be prudent. And make copies of your data that you care about (any pictures, documents, etc) onto some sort of external device like a flash drive or dropbox or whatever you like that will duplicate your stuff.

All of these are free utilities or trial versions for download.

malwarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/
superantispyware http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html
spybot search & destroy http://www.safer-networking.org/dl/
MS Safety Scanner http://www.microsoft.com/security/sc...s/default.aspx
MS Malicious Software Removal Tool http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc...e-removal.aspx
MS Security Essentials http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...tials-download
combofix http://www.combofix.org/download.php (use carefully!!!)
hijackthis (but seriously, like combofix, don't use it unless you are getting guidance from the hijackthis forums.) http://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/

Edit: Consider starting with the MS Safety Scanner, then MS Malicious Software first. If those find nothing, then do malwarebytes. If none of those turn up anything, then it's possible you just have a windows update problem and not malware. If that is the case, then MS is supposed to help you with any issues relating to Windows update. That stated, the level of help you get varies a great deal from tech to tech so... good luck with that.

Generally speaking, after determining the severity of the issue, I weigh out if it makes more sense to attempt to fix or just back up and then reformat and reinstall. Most home PCs have very few personalizations, custom set-ups and other apps that would really make a wipe and reinstall all that big of a deal. The biggest slow downs on the wipe and reinstall are the age and slowness of the machine and the likelihood (or lack thereof) of the owner having the original installation disks.

Last edited by RMurphy; 01-18-2013 at 05:50 PM. Reason: clarifications and after thoughts.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:30 PM

Thanks Murphy, I will try it now.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:44 PM

I usually use Superantispyware and MS Security Essentials.

I did recently have the same problem with updates not working and the other main issue being not getting to the login screen. I think it was the hard drive corruption. I did a scan disk after reinstalling windows and it found some bad blocks. Not sure if that was all though. So you will want to do a hard drive scan too (right click on the drive letter and properties/tools/check now), but not before you backup.

Also, I did a Windows reinstall that keeps the data files. It would have probably been better to wipe the whole thing, but my system has some partitions with the factory setup on it.

The one thing bad I didn't do was make a set of restore DVDs off the machine when I first got it, since I'm not 100% sure the restore didn't get corrupted either. I ended up using restore DVDs from another similar machine.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by fm_sd View Post
I did a scan disk after reinstalling windows and it found some bad blocks.
The chkdsk utility should be run before opting to reinstall the OS and is best run from a system boot disk, not from the hard drive's utility partition. Yes, in general, using it from the hard drive utility partition will work, but if you think about it, you are checking the integrity of the hard drive with the drive in question. I'd rather boot from an optical system disk (or even a USB flash drive if the system supports it) and run the chkdsk from there. That's just me. Your choices may vary.

When the chkdsk utility finds bad sectors, I usually consider the hard drive suspect, its physical integrity is in question, and I'm likely to recommend flat out replacement. Of course, I'm dealing with business machines and *any* downtime is costly to the business owner, so we take no chances. If a drive looks bad, $80 to replace it is worth it (or making use of the mfg warranty on the PC which replaces the drive at no cost, and frequently will come pre-imaged with OS already in place ready to rock). If it has bad sectors, I don't want to have the client paying my hourly rate to reinstall OS onto a hard drive that may just fail again in 2 weeks or 2 months.

Also, I did a Windows reinstall that keeps the data files. It would have probably been better to wipe the whole thing,
Yes. A complete reformat of at least the partition in which you were installing Windows would have been most prudent. It is preferred to wipe the entire drive in many circumstances since a corrupted or infected MBR will remain even after you reinstall the OS into a pre-existing partition. One can spend a lot of time reinstalling an OS just to find out that the same problem exists (malware, for instance) even after the OS install.

The one thing bad I didn't do was make a set of restore DVDs off the machine when I first got it, since I'm not 100% sure the restore didn't get corrupted either. I ended up using restore DVDs from another similar machine.
1) The Create Restore DVD utilities which come with the PC can be used at any time so long as the OS is functioning. It is, however, wisest to create the disks immediately after purchase since you never know when you may need them. Even brand new hard drives can fail. 2) Using factory restore disks from a similar machine (but which is not identical) can be a very bad choice since it is not unusual for manufacturers to include proprietary drivers on the install disks which can just flat out cause a blue screen during install on machines for which they were not intended. The opposite is true as well. Anyone who has ever -- in vain -- attempted to use a generic Windows installation disk on a Sony Vaio can attest to this behavior.

And that was probably more than anyone here ever wanted to read about computers in a car forum

Last edited by RMurphy; 01-19-2013 at 12:51 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 01-19-2013, 02:21 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

There's a much simpler way to fix the master boot record. I've done this many times on drives that were "iffy". Just remember, it worked for me, it may not work for you.

From the MS support site:
The MS-DOS Fdisk utility usually updates the master boot record (MBR) only if no master boot record exists. Repartitioning with Fdisk does not rewrite this information.

Fdisk has an undocumented parameter called /mbr that causes it to write the master boot record to the hard disk without altering the partition table information.

Warning Writing the master boot record to the hard disk in this manner can make certain hard disks partitioned with SpeedStor unusable. It can also cause problems for some dual-boot programs and disks with more than four partitions.

The command is fdisk /mbr and it should be run from a clean boot disk. It works in all versions of Windows up to and including Win7. I have no idea about Win8.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:50 AM

WOW, I can fix cars but this is getting deep. LOL! BTW I ran the first 2 scans and it found a bunch of crap. I tryed to update and 3 went ok but there are still 7 that fail. As far as back up all I really have is pictures of EOM runs, photobucket can help me there. Like I said before the computer runs fine and now much faster after I did the scans (Thanks Murphy) should I reinstall windows and start fresh or leave it alone? Thanks for all the input everyone.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:29 AM

Which scans did you run, specifically what crap did they find, and did they successfully get cleaned?

You made progress, so based only on the info you have provided here I would say a reinstall probably isn't needed. But do take this opportunity to confirm you have the disks you would need to do a reinstall if you ever need to.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by RMurphy View Post
Which scans did you run, specifically what crap did they find, and did they successfully get cleaned?

You made progress, so based only on the info you have provided here I would say a reinstall probably isn't needed. But do take this opportunity to confirm you have the disks you would need to do a reinstall if you ever need to.
I ran the first two on your list, I don't know exactly what was found 103 infections, 72 in registry. I know about computers as much as I know about rocket science. But I do have the disks(my Mom told me to save them a long time ago) I guess it worked I'm still chating with everyone! LOL! Thanks again for all the input.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by chazdawg35 View Post
I ran the first two on your list, I don't know exactly what was found 103 infections, 72 in registry. I know about computers as much as I know about rocket science. But I do have the disks(my Mom told me to save them a long time ago) I guess it worked I'm still chating with everyone! LOL! Thanks again for all the input.
Sounds to me like you ran malwarebytes and superantispyware. 103 infections? Unlikely. Probably found mostly tracking cookies. Make sure you do full scans, not just quick scans.

Run the MS scans I suggested earlier that you should do first.

Also, you can select updates and apply them one at a time if needed. Sometimes that gets you through a list of updates which otherwise are not completing when being installed all at once. It's not a long term solution, but will get you through an immediate security update sometimes.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:23 AM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Get a Mac. Problem solved.

http://www.reedcorner.net/mmg-defense/
Old 01-19-2013, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by RMurphy View Post
Sounds to me like you ran malwarebytes and superantispyware. 103 infections? Unlikely. Probably found mostly tracking cookies. Make sure you do full scans, not just quick scans.

Run the MS scans I suggested earlier that you should do first.

Also, you can select updates and apply them one at a time if needed. Sometimes that gets you through a list of updates which otherwise are not completing when being installed all at once. It's not a long term solution, but will get you through an immediate security update sometimes.
I did run the MS scans all good, and I did use the malwarebytes and superantispyware thats the ones that found things. Also a little flag popped up on the task bar an said to run windows defender and that said no threats found.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller View Post
Get a Mac. Problem solved.
Get a Camry. Problem solved.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by chazdawg35 View Post
I did run the MS scans all good, and I did use the malwarebytes and superantispyware thats the ones that found things. Also a little flag popped up on the task bar an said to run windows defender and that said no threats found.
Can't help you if I don't know what it said was found. It's sort of like posting a thread saying, "I've got a Check Engine Light and the dealer said their code reader found some codes. What's wrong with my car?"

Most common items found are just tracking cookies which are generally no big deal. Sometimes other things are found too but like I said...

When you run the Windows Update, click on the Review Updates to be installed and just select the first one on the list, apply it, then the next and so on. Sometimes it takes that kind of one at a time approach if there are some updates that are conflicting with each other... or various other possible causes as well.

Again, we don't really know that you have a malware issue at all. It might actually just be a problem with applying the updates so do try the method I mentioned above.