Go Back  S2000 Forums > Honda S2000 Forums > Off-Topic
Bad luck with speeding tickets... what will it mean for my insurance premiums? >

Bad luck with speeding tickets... what will it mean for my insurance premiums?

Off-Topic Forum for the discussion of anything that doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
View Poll Results: How much will my premium jump?
$5-20 more per month
25.00%
$21-40 more per month
25.00%
$41-70 more per month
12.50%
Your insurance premium will more than double
37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2011, 08:15 AM

I've had a run of bad luck recently with speeding tickets, and I'm looking for some predictions as to what to expect in terms of my insurance premiums as a result of these mistakes. I currently pay about $70/month which is probably deflated due to the fact that I work for my auto insurance company and because I am on my parents' multi-car policy.

I'll save y'all the sob stories about why they happened and just state what the citations said: 19 mph over, 15 mph over, 13 mph over. They sound bad when said like that, but I'm actually very observant of speed limit postings (e.g. I travel either at the speed limit or 5 under on the highway). I'm 24, I've not had any accidents, and I've not had any tickets prior to this summer. I've taken Adult and Advanced Defensive Driver programs at Mid-Ohio as well.

I spoke with my insurance agent recently and signed up for Accident Forgiveness, which I apparently did not have before... However, I didn't hear much as to how these infractions might affect my insurance. So I come to you, my wonderful S2000 community for advise.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:27 AM

that sux bro... sorry to hear that.

I got into an accident earlier last month, and ya.. i beat my insurance is going up too..
I heard the bill will raise around 40%, not sure it all depends all the sells person who is on charged of your policy,and your points.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:37 AM
Bug Zapper

Dang, I got caught going 20 over on the highway and I dont drive even 10 over anymore after one ticket that I went to traffic school (online).

You need to slow down son!
Old 09-23-2011, 09:02 AM

Not being 25 ( and male I presume), I'm sure it will increase substantially. I hope not but be prepared for the worst.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:51 AM

I turn 25 before my next renewal, if that helps?

@Marioshi: Funny enough, I seem to only get pulled over when I think I am going the speed limit. Two of the three times, I recall saying to the police officer before anything else, "XX over? Really? I wasn't even trying to speed... The speed limit was XX?" It's just that these incidents seem to happen when I've not seen the speed limit postings due to poor lighting. I drive kinda scared at night because I've had several close calls with wildlife, so perhaps that's why...

Did the traffic school do anything for you in terms of a break on points or premiums or the ticket itself?

Last edited by smohan123; 09-23-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:25 AM
General Nuisance

I hit a raccoon last month in my S. The wheel well liner was destroyed and the LF fender was damaged too. Rather than report it to my insurance, I replaced the wheel well liner myself (very easy) and had a body shop repair the fender and any underside damage. I did the wheel well for < $100 and ate the $500 fender repair. My deductible is $500. The less my ins. co. knows, the better.

Last edited by Doug3; 09-23-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:43 AM

Deer are a different story, and there's a boat load of 'em where I live. ;(

Last edited by smohan123; 09-23-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Bug Zapper

Originally Posted by smohan123 View Post
Did the traffic school do anything for you in terms of a break on points or premiums or the ticket itself?
In CA, you can attend traffic school once every 18 months to keep ONE ticket from going on your record. Not sure how I really feel about it, you have to pay extra to the courts to go to traffic school, then you have to pay for traffic school.

My ticket cost me over 400 dollars. I guess thats why I am trying not to get another one.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:00 AM
General Nuisance

Deer are a different story, and there's a boat load of 'em where I live. ;(
Do you have any idea the damage that a deer can inflict on a convertible?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voefhWfS80A
Old 09-23-2011, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Doug3 View Post

That's what I'm saying—impacting a deer wouldn't be a $100 wheel well and a $500 fender to avoid an insurance claim. It'd be a zillion dollar facial reconstructive surgery cost to worry about.

Last edited by smohan123; 01-03-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:26 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

I would suggest you get a good traffic lawyer and have him try to get them reduced to non-moving violations if possible. Three or four hundred for a lawyer is a lot cheaper than what you're going to end up paying in insurance costs (to say nothing of the points on your license. Three speeding tickets in VA in one year gets you a sixty day (or more) exercise program because your license is suspended). If you want to find a good traffic lawyer, as a cab driver. They know all the good ones.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:34 AM

The first was probably four months ago, so it's paid already. The one in N. Carolina I can't fight because I am not gonna drive all the way down there just to show up in court.

The most recent one is due already. I dunno why the court date was only two weeks after the issue date, but I need to go to the clerk and request an extension. That might suck. :\
Old 09-23-2011, 11:36 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by Doug3 View Post

I got a little dizzy watching that clip. The camera just doesn't stop shaking!
Old 01-03-2012, 04:12 AM

It ended up increasing by ~$40 per 6 months (so about $7 per month). Not as bad as I thought it'd be. I'm going to be insuring two cars now, though, so I am confident that I will be broke in no time.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:49 AM
normal aspiration

I've had a run of bad luck recently with speeding tickets...very, very bad run...

...what the citations said: 19 mph over, 15 mph over, 13 mph over. They sound bad when said like that, but I'm actually very observant of speed limit postings (e.g. I travel either at the speed limit or 5 under on the highway).

is this a joke or an oxy-moron? you never speed, but 19 over...please!

@Marioshi: Funny enough, I seem to only get pulled over when I think I am going the speed limit. It's just that these incidents seem to happen when I've not seen the speed limit postings due to poor lighting. I drive kinda scared at night because I've had several close calls with wildlife, so perhaps that's why...you drive so fast? sounds to me like you are a typical young driver, texting, on the phone, music cranked up, taking driving for granted, ADDed, taking being the pilot of a vehicle with a grain or just not smart enough to have a DL. happens, you know. 25 ain't gonna help you, maybe 30, if you live that long. we all went through it. pay attention. slow down. pick your spots to raise hell and speed. you sure enough got the bad luck if you don't speed and the police just happened to notice you speeding when you were. don't expect us to buy this story. keep gettin' points on that license. then you won't have to worry about paying for no insurance.

slow down early morning and dusk to attempt to avoid the deer. higher speed means a worse impact if you do hit one.

how much them tickeys cost you? seems like that would pay for a boat load on insurance.

bb

Last edited by bbcricketta; 01-03-2012 at 04:54 AM. Reason: deer hunting...big buck in the back yard.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:56 AM

I think if you actually met me you'd realize how callous and ignorant your comments are, but I'll leave it at that.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:09 AM
normal aspiration

I think if you actually met me you'd realize how callous and ignorant your comments are, but I'll leave it at that.
sorry, smo, nuttin' personal. i have met a lot of young drivers with speeding problems. i am not being judgemental. i am only responding to your written description of your driving habits. your personality got nuttin' to do with my opinion. i am sure you are a good person.

i would like to meet you, however, if you keep amassing speeding tickets at the current rate, the time you spend in penitentiary and the amount of fines you will have paid may preclude this from happening.

i am an old ignorant, callous sumbiotch, call me what you will. i deserve it.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:23 AM
THE STIG

It's not just young people who speed BB:

Is this a sign of the times? Back in NewsFeed’s day it was the darn kids who were always speeding. (via KVAL.com)
In Oregon an 82-year-old woman was stopped for driving over the speed limit and given a staggering $1,103 speeding ticket. The woman, Marcia Brandon, was apparently running late for an appointment and was going 110 mph–more than double the speed limit of 55 mph.
This case seems to be an anomaly, however. A speeding senior not only goes against the stereotype of elderly drivers, but also the statistics. According to the site Traffic Ticket Secrets, drivers between the ages of 17 and 24 receive the most speeding tickets out of all drivers.
Though that might be because older drivers are more crafty when it comes to getting out of a ticket–like the man who would simply wear a monkey mask while speeding.

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/10/18/...#ixzz1iOwEfPWh
Old 01-03-2012, 06:03 AM

My "speeding habits" are really 5 mph under to 2 mph over on the highways and 3-5 mph over on city streets. The tickets were quite simply horrendous luck and well-positioned policemen. I was going 5 under on a 65 mph highway relatively near where I live when I got the 19 mph over ticket. The speed limit abruptly drops to 40 mph after passing a certain point, but because it was very late and the speed limit sign was in an unlit area, I didn't realize that it dropped down so much until I saw the second sign which was lit. And the cop was sitting right under that sign gunning people. Lights, siren, 19 mph over ticket... when I thought I was actually going less than the speed limit, lol.

I'm not sidestepping blame, as I could have seen the sign—I just didn't, and I'm simply saying that I've been quite unlucky. The 13 mph over ticket was a vaguely similar situation, but I'll spare y'all another sob story.

Basically I made this thread because I wanted to gauge how much these unfortunate circumstances would cost me. If I had been intending to go 85 on the freeway or buzz around town at stupid speeds I wouldn't have made this thread because I would've known that I unequivocally deserved the tickets.

Oh, and I am looking forward to meeting you as well. I do like to drive fast... but it's when I am on a group drive or at Mid-Ohio. I also like to go the speed limit around turns since that's a legal way to get the g-forces one seeks when speeding, and cornering is why we bought this car in the first place.

Last edited by smohan123; 01-03-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:20 AM
normal aspiration

luck usually evens out over time. remember though, that ***** happens, and that it happens a lot. i'll try to remember it myself.

i loves the speed myself. don't like to drive in packs.

i was at the outer banks once on a family vacation. i was driving a rental chevrolet with the 3.8 liter v6. not a bad car, for an american car; i would never own one.

my bro-in-law and me had been on the mainland playing golf and we were on the way back to the banks, crossing the bridge over the currituck sound. there was mist coming off of the water, we were elevated way high above the sound, it was one of those beautiful motoring moments. i mashed the gas and we neared 100 and i settled on 95 across the sound. i took a quick glance at my bro and he was staring at the speedo, we made eye contact and i knew his pucker factor was high. my eyes now on the highway, i eased back as we neared the island and nothing was said the rest of the way home. i don't think he ever rode with me after that.

bb
Old 01-03-2012, 01:38 PM

i usually go as fast as the traffic im going along with, which is good cause many times traffic flows at around 70-80mph.

i did get caught in one instance recently... right before nye.. going 85 in a 65. the CHP let me off because i was 'cooperative'. i didnt ask for a warning. had windows down, hands on 10 and 2, keys on the dash, and was calm. that had to have helped :] saved a lot of money there!!
Old 01-03-2012, 05:24 PM
General Nuisance

Everybody speeds here in MA.

Our Lt. Gov. got a ticket today.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/01/0...-before-crash/
Old 01-03-2012, 05:54 PM
House of CR.

As of June 17, 2011, Texas statutorily allows 85 mph limits on any part of its state highway system, provided that that part of the highway system is designed to accommodate travel at 85 mph or higher, and that 85 mph is found to be a reasonable and safe speed for that part of the highway system. Unfortunately, the TxDOT has not evaluated any sections of Texas highways for 85 mph to date.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:14 PM

Maybe my insurance will drop the coverage costs if I tell them I only intend to drive the S two or three days a week (i.e. weekends). I have a Mazda3 i that I am driving in the winter and intend to use as a daily driver when it warms up too.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Senior Member, Literally

I've probably been on the road more than most and learned a few things that kept the tickets away. Never be the fastest banana in the bunch. I love it when some fool pulls around me and speeds away. He's going to attract the attention of any fuzz waiting to pounce. Watch the on ramps in your mirror when you pass one. They like to hide there. Don't keep changing lanes, that attracts their attention. Know what areas are more prone to observation, high population areas, residential areas, etc. If you drive the same areas a lot make a note of where they like to sit. Don't tail gate, stay back and you'll be less like to have an accident or get a ticket. The other day I had a car stop suddenly in the middle of the block, because a moronic matron, hidden front from me,suddenly decides to cross the double lines and make a U-turn. Thanks to the traffic gods and Honda for good brakes. Even with ABS the tires squealed.