Off-Topic Forum for the discussion of anything that doesn't fit into one of the other forums.

Any CR-V owners out there?

Old 04-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Mr. Riley Wilson

Any CR-V owners out there?

I'm in a strange position. I currently have 2 vehicles. My S2000 and an 07 Mini Cooper-S that likes the shops that it visits far too frequently. It seems that every time I finally get it running well, BAMM! Some freaking "Fremulator" or "Anoyamometer" craps out. Back to the shop for another $1200 massage.

I need a vehicle with some cargo space, but don't want much bigger than the Mini. I've been looking at the CR-V and was wanting to see what you guys think?

Thanks

Doc.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Bug Zapper

CR-V is a lot bigger than a mini me thinks. Then again, a lot of things are bigger than a Mini. Lots of people on this site have them as DDs or their partner or kids have them and they are highly prasied. A little borning compared to your Mini though probably.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:49 AM

I say it's a Honda and you should go for it! You might also check out some 4runners, some of the early generations of those put on 200-300k easily, good luck!
Old 04-20-2011, 11:03 AM
THE STIG

My mom has a 2005 SE CR-V and loves it. No problems so far and it has about 57K on it. My dad has a 1998 CR-V (5-speed ) as a beater and we just did some minor repairs this weekend (both rear sway bar links and an front upper ball joint). It has about 165K and that's pretty much all we've done to it since we had it. Nice amount of room especially with the rear seats folded down. Just have to get used to the way the rear gate opens.

Newer ones open "normally" I believe.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:18 AM
General Nuisance

Since you live in TX, consider a 2WD CR-V. (less mechanical complexity and higher mpg).

Last edited by Doug3; 04-20-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:18 AM

if you're looking for a grocery getter, CR-V is just fine. if you ever plan on taking it off road, eh i'd look in a different direction. they're car based so it's not that rugged, but it is a great errand runner.

i'm w/ otter, 4runners are awesome. i have a 4th gen ('03-'09). 3rd gen 4runners are also kickin and they all hold their value REALLY well. but they do suck the gas. the new ones are awesome, a little better with the mpg, good ride, still rugged, but pricey ($30k+). nothing an extra MO or DO a week won't cover =p esp in TX, aren't all you guys over there fee for service? (those are the rumors we hear in CA anyway).

or there's always a subaru. you can ask marioshi about that one, there was a really good thread he had started a while back. good cargo room, good get up and go, AWD, but if you get one w/ a turbo, make sure it's maintained really well.

Last edited by LTWU; 04-20-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:31 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by LTWU View Post
or there's always a subaru. you can ask marioshi about that one, there was a really good thread he had started a while back. good cargo room, good get up and go, AWD, but if you get one w/ a turbo, make sure it's maintained really well.
I love my Subie!!
Old 04-20-2011, 11:34 AM

diesel VW golf anyone?
Old 04-20-2011, 02:09 PM
EYECELLEM

If you want something along the lines of a Mini, I would suggest the Honda Fit. A 5 door that's just a tad bigger than the Mini and very fun to drive.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:23 PM

I have an Odessey, Civic, s2000 at home. Looking at the CRV with interest but the back seats are limited for leg room in my view. Nice tho !
Old 04-20-2011, 02:42 PM
House of CR.

Originally Posted by Glenn1 View Post
If you want something along the lines of a Mini, I would suggest the Honda Fit. A 5 door that's just a tad bigger than the Mini and very fun to drive.
+1 on the Fit, especially the sport model. I had a 2009 Sport, the ride will remind you of the S, but it holds an amazing amount of stuff inside. And the mileage is awesome.

I needed something bigger, so i traded it in toward a Pilot.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:54 PM

Honda Element bro! Spacious, good on gas, and reliable. Consider it!
Old 04-20-2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by JOECHY View Post
If you want cargo space in a small package you can't beat the Element! It's more than 7" shorter than a 4-dr Civic! HUGE interior. You just wouldn't believe all the stuff you can put in the back of an Element. I can park it anywhere. Turns on a dime. It's a Honda.

I've had mine for 5 years and absolutely love the car. Go check one out. I know that they look funny, but it's a great car!
Old 04-20-2011, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by JOECHY View Post
and you can hose down the interior no problem!!! supposedly the element is going the way of the s2k is it not? glenn?
Old 04-20-2011, 06:48 PM

and you can hose down the interior no problem!!! supposedly the element is going the way of the s2k is it not? glenn?
I think that "hosing down the interior" may be a bit extreme, but you could certainly damp mop it.

Yes, Honda, in it's infinite wisdom, has now discontinued BOTH of my cars. 2011 is the last year for the Element. I'm trying not to take it personally...
Old 04-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Mr. Riley Wilson

Hey thanks for all the great info. I am swamped for time and still have a ton of questions, so if yu-all grant me a slight sabatical I would love more discussion. Thanks.
Doc

and LT, no, unfortunatly, very little fee for service!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:24 PM
EYECELLEM

That's right...
Old 04-21-2011, 04:45 AM

Talking

My advise is to stop for washroom breaks, but a good idea !
Old 10-01-2011, 11:47 AM

Didn't realize there was a new concept 2012 CR-V. Looks like it would compliment the S2000 pretty well if they can keep the look.

http://www.insideline.com/honda/cr-v...pt-debuts.html

As an aside, the FIT probably drives a lot better, as the CR-V is taller and I felt it "tilt" on curves and turns (my Mom's).
Old 10-01-2011, 02:29 PM

Wow, can't beleive i hadn't seen this. I was actually on the exact same boat. My wife had a mini cooper S that also loved the repair shops dropping 1k-3k at a time. :/

We went with the CRV and love it. It took us a while to find the one we wanted but it was worth it. We wanted it to be manual and Honda stopped making them in 06 so used was the only option. even still we love the CRV and its easier for me to work on since i know my way around hondas a little better.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:38 PM
Resident Vigilante

our neighbor loves her 7 year old CRV
Old 10-03-2011, 06:01 AM
THE STIG

I like everything but the back end.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:32 AM
Mr. Riley Wilson

Originally Posted by Switchblade View Post
I like everything but the back end.
I totally agree Switch! Seems that Honda went with that strange rear end throughout it's entire line up and I was more interested in the older CR-V squareness, but never understood the hinges on the outside of the rear door.

I looked at everything from Ford, Chevy, Chrysler and all Japanese, Subs, Honda, Toyotas Mazda, Kia, new and used and ended with a 2011 Nissan Rogue.

The Rogue is loaded, leather, Nav, XM...etc and they gave me the best trade in for my Cooper. It was listed @ $29K and I drove it off the lot, tax, title and license for $11K.

It's not a Mini, but it sure is a nice vehicle. I am currently working for a dentist and have a 50 mile round trip on interstate and it makes for a much nicer ride, especially with XM radio. (I sold my dental practice!!!!!!!)
Old 10-03-2011, 08:21 AM
THE STIG

Glad you ended up with something your happy with. That's all that counts!
Old 10-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Mr. Riley Wilson

Originally Posted by Switchblade View Post
Glad you ended up with something your happy with. That's all that counts!
Thanks Switch! I think I could have been happy with any of the vehicles in this class, it came down to which company was willing to trade.

I am curious, I really wonder if there is that much difference in the quality from make to make? Seems that most cars today are far better built with more technology than those from the past. I can't imagine a Toyota being that much better than a Honda or Subaru. My thoughts are that while each may have it's personalities, in the end, they all go 300,000+. I never keep a car that long!
Old 10-03-2011, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Croker View Post
I am curious, I really wonder if there is that much difference in the quality from make to make? Seems that most cars today are far better built with more technology than those from the past. I can't imagine a Toyota being that much better than a Honda or Subaru. My thoughts are that while each may have it's personalities, in the end, they all go 300,000+. I never keep a car that long!
A simple question, Charlie;

Do you think there is/was a difference in 'quality' (whatever that may mean to you) between your Mini and your S?

I think many people perceive a difference in quality between manufacturers, based on their own experiences. But as a whole, overall car build, design, and service quality has steadily improved over the years. These days, competition for market share between car makers is too fierce for them to get lazy about overall quality.

In any event, I hope you enjoy your new ride.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:13 AM

Our 03 manual CRV has been good too us since new

However at 93k the AC compressor quit on my son , at least a $1k bill