Off-Topic Forum for the discussion of anything that doesn't fit into one of the other forums.

Crashed My S2K Need Help With Repair

Old 03-13-2011, 11:58 AM

Crashed My S2K Need Help With Repair

Okay so long story short. Some idiot slamed on the breaks in front of me and i destroyed the front end of my 2005 S2000, im going to do the rebuild myself rather then report it to insurrance because my rates are already sky high. I need help finding a core support and what is in the front of the car any info on things need to fix are very much appreciated. I know for a fact Front, fenders, bumper head lights, core support, radiator, and ac condenser, i think thats what it is called, if there is anything im leving out please let me know. the car fires up and drives just the front end is smashed to hell. Im having a hard time finding the core support for the radiator and such so if theres a site that anyone knows of that i can order one please let me know asap im looking to get the car back in commision by the end of the month, if there is anything i forgot please let me know im a *** at this whole post thing... please and thank you
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	car1.JPG
Views:	481
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	3560   Click image for larger version

Name:	car2.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	3561   Click image for larger version

Name:	car3.JPG
Views:	400
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	3562  
Old 03-13-2011, 12:28 PM

Sorry about your wreck. That sucks!

I'd have the frame checked out by a bodyshop. A front impact like that will many times pull the outside corners inwards and/or sway the frame. Those pictures look like the damage is pretty bad. I'd almost expect frame damage. I've had two different cars in accidents that didn't 'look' that bad but the gaps were all wrong and if you measure they were swayed off to one side(ie, frame damage). Have a good shop do the core support and check/fix the frame. Then you can do the rest yourself. You don't want a performance car like the S2000 that isn't perfectly straight. That's my $.02.

Good luck.

Last edited by Silverstone_Ryan; 03-13-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:33 PM

did you run into someone's rear end? from the pic of the front subframe, it looks like you hit a pole. anyways, if it wasn't your fault, license rate shouldn't change
Old 03-13-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by usafstud View Post
if it wasn't your fault, license rate shouldn't change
Hitting from behind is almost ALWAYS your fault. Just no way around that. The best you can hope for is 50/50 at fault and really that just means each company covers half the damage but the accident goes on BOTH drivers records. I was hit from behind once and the driver(after the fact) started making up stuff like I failed to signal and other BS(total lies). His insurance company was looking for a way out of paying because my brand new car had major damage. It went all the way to arbitration and they lost. Not only that they had to pay me for the loss and pay my lawyer fees since I sued for the loss of value to my car. It boils down to the 'hitting from behind' thing. In the end it doesn't really matter what I was doing, he plowed into ME after I slowed to make a left turn. You are responsible for what is in front of your car unless somebody pulls out or runs a light. It's hard to argue in rear-end situations. My experience at least.

To the OP. If the other driver filed with either insurance company your rates will go up no matter what. You might as well have your car fixed. Your insurance record is hosed once a claim is made unless it's under $500 or some silly amount.

Last edited by Silverstone_Ryan; 03-13-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:49 PM

LOL
Old 03-13-2011, 12:52 PM
(deactivated account)

Ryan is right. Assuming you're in the US, or anyplace where things operate similarly, you will already get penalized via license points and/or insurance surcharges based on the other driver's claim. Unless you swerved off the road and hit a pole and did no damage to anyone's property. Though looking at your hood, my guess is that you hit the left rear corner of the vehicle in front of you, and that vehicle must have significant damage. (I'm assuming the corner based on the way the center of your car is pushed in, and that looks like a rear-mounted spare tire mark on your hood.)
Old 03-13-2011, 01:00 PM

That sucks. That really looks like you messed up the frame. Like Ryan said, get a good shop to check it out. That looked like a hard hit. Were you following him really close?
Old 03-13-2011, 01:07 PM

yes it was my fault i ran into the back of someone's car. we talked and since they had no damage they agreed not to report anything to insurrance or call the police. so we went on our ways, the engine fires right up and i drove it about a block to park it in drive way.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:14 PM

Dang! What kind of car was he in? I assume your airbags went off?
Old 03-13-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jacesin View Post
yes it was my fault i ran into the back of someone's car. we talked and since they had no damage they agreed not to report anything to insurrance or call the police. so we went on our ways, the engine fires right up and i drove it about a block to park it in drive way.
HOLY COW batman....all that to your car and no damage to theirs?!!!

You are one lucky person! I still say have a shop deal with the frame, the rest you can do.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:16 PM

how the hell did the other guy not have damage when your car has so much?
Old 03-13-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by rotordyn View Post
Ryan is right. Assuming you're in the US, or anyplace where things operate similarly, you will already get penalized via license points and/or insurance surcharges based on the other driver's claim. Unless you swerved off the road and hit a pole and did no damage to anyone's property. Though looking at your hood, my guess is that you hit the left rear corner of the vehicle in front of you, and that vehicle must have significant damage. (I'm assuming the corner based on the way the center of your car is pushed in, and that looks like a rear-mounted spare tire mark on your hood.)

true. just got back to the states 5 months ago after living overseas for 4 years.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:21 PM

there was no damage to theirs because mine went under theres they had an suv
Old 03-13-2011, 01:25 PM

So why is there a police car in the picture? Or is it just a civilan service?
Old 03-13-2011, 01:26 PM

its a civilian service police person they checked to see if everything was okay that was all
Old 03-13-2011, 01:30 PM

there was no damage to theirs because mine went under theres they had an suv
Maybe your lucky they didn't stick around and look closer at their car...

My wife was rear-ended in our Highlander by a small car. They also went under the back of her car. At first glance it just looked like a scuffed bumper and bent tail-pipe. $3600 later we found out differently, but we did exchange insurance info so his insurance covered it. Turns out for us going under the car did more damage. The little car caught the spare tire and bent up the floor in the back(which you couldn't see), damaged the alloy spare, ruined the whole exhaust system all the way to the motor(caught the tail-pipe and stacked it up all the way forward), and of course the bumper cover needed replacement. The exhaust system alone was $1800.

Anyway, sorry about your car and it was good luck for you that the other driver did not take your insurance information. Heck, they might have mysteriously developed whiplash once they thought about it!
Old 03-13-2011, 02:58 PM

Sucks, look on the classifieds
Old 03-13-2011, 03:29 PM
Got S2000?

Man, go through your insurance. That's gonna cost a small fortune to fix, and I don't think you'll be able to get a new set of airbags without the incident being recorded.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:04 PM
just havin' fun

OMG! Well I would put in the clam dude. The amount your insurance will increase will not come close to the amount it will take to fix your car. A matter of fact I am almost sure your poor S is a complete loss. Sorry dude, report it to your insurance company and get this one fixed right or get another one.

Last edited by will williams; 03-13-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by will williams View Post
OMG! Well I would put in the clam dude. The amount your insurance will increase will not come close to the amount it will take to fix your car. A matter of fact I am almost sure you poor S is a complete loss. Sorry dude, report it to your insurance company and get this one fixed right or get another one.
+1 Report it to your insurance. Hard to believe the SUV suffered no damage. Looks like you smashed into the bumber of a semi truck by the looks of the fenders and the hood rolled up to the windshield. I think a Tahoe, Escalade, Range Rover, etc would have had at least a "ding".
Old 03-13-2011, 06:25 PM

I would put in a claim with your insurance company, it will cost a lot to get it back together. If you are going to fix it yourself have a bodyshop check the spec on the frame.

Good luck.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:29 PM
General Nuisance

Old 03-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Senior Member, Literally

2 reasons to rear end someone. Following too close and not concentrating on driving. Learn from the experience and you'll have less problems. Seems to be a lot of this happening with youngsters on this forum, considering the relatively small amount of S2000's represented here. Of course these guys keep Typerman in business.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:46 PM

Even if you verbally agreed not to report, if the damage is over a certain amount (depends on the state) in most states you can be prosecuted for leaving the scene of an accident or hit-and-run if the other guy changes his mind (and I'll bet he wrote down you tag number before he left). As for your car - it looks like the some of the damage was from a trailer hitch which can be bad news for the engine and drive train in addition to the frame damage, In addition to the damage people have already listed your motor and transmission mounts are probably bent or broken too so check those out.

Edit: BTW, you don't have to report to the insurance company, you do have to report to the police. I am not a lawyer, but I've dealt with three of these thanks to 2 teenagers and an ex-wife. It works like this: If you had exchanged information, but didn't report it to the police, the worst that could happen was a "failure to report" citation and a fine, no points, nothing to your insurance unless you report it to your insurance. You don't have to call the police to the scene, you do have to report within a certain time limit (somewhere between 48 hours and 10 days depending), if you report it now (I had a wreck, there was x amount of damage, I was so shook up I didn't get the other guys info..." ) and he doesn't, they could get him for "leaving the scene of an accident", probably a bigger fine, maybe a license suspension. Finally, if he reports it, and you don't, they can get you for hit and run - that's a criminal trial, big fine, possible jail time and a probable suspended license.

Last edited by flyingarmadillo; 03-13-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:17 PM
Resident Vigilante

Looks Very Expensive to do it right. Report it and hope they won't total her.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by flyingarmadillo View Post
Even if you verbally agreed not to report, if the damage is over a certain amount (depends on the state) in most states you can be prosecuted for leaving the scene of an accident or hit-and-run if the other guy changes his mind (and I'll bet he wrote down you tag number before he left). As for your car - it looks like the some of the damage was from a trailer hitch which can be bad news for the engine and drive train in addition to the frame damage, In addition to the damage people have already listed your motor and transmission mounts are probably bent or broken too so check those out.

Edit: BTW, you don't have to report to the insurance company, you do have to report to the police. I am not a lawyer, but I've dealt with three of these thanks to 2 teenagers and an ex-wife. It works like this: If you had exchanged information, but didn't report it to the police, the worst that could happen was a "failure to report" citation and a fine, no points, nothing to your insurance unless you report it to your insurance. You don't have to call the police to the scene, you do have to report within a certain time limit (somewhere between 48 hours and 10 days depending), if you report it now (I had a wreck, there was x amount of damage, I was so shook up I didn't get the other guys info..." ) and he doesn't, they could get him for "leaving the scene of an accident", probably a bigger fine, maybe a license suspension. Finally, if he reports it, and you don't, they can get you for hit and run - that's a criminal trial, big fine, possible jail time and a probable suspended license.

+1

edit: also based on the amount of damage, I wouldn't be surprised if the other driver wakes up with a sore neck (for real), at which point they might decide to seek medical attention.

Last edited by TTMartin; 03-14-2011 at 03:49 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:58 AM

I rearended a pickup truck a few years ago and the damage is eerily simliar and my car was a total loss. Check out the link for pics of my car. Report it to the insurance company, you're looking at thousands of dollars in parts and maybe even having your car totaled.

https://www.s2000.com/forums/off-top...-bad-luck.html

Check with typerman, he's on here and he sells parts off of crashed s2000. He would probably be a good source for helping with what you might need to get it on the road.

Last edited by leahysailor; 03-14-2011 at 05:00 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:59 AM

i'm not to sure about the legal stuff involved with this, but let me tell you from my experience about doing the repair yourself. Unless you have a good amount of money and time to fix all that damage, get your insurance to fix it bro seriously. when i crashed my previous car i didn't have as much damage as yours so i tried fixing it myself. let me tell ya parts cost alot. especially hoods bumpers and fenders and by the looks of the pics your gonna have alot of allignment and fitment issues when it comes to the fenders, doors and hood coming together. not to mention that its pretty likely that ur gonna have some damage to the frame. that car is gonna need ALOT of work to get it back to where it used to be.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:53 PM

You're gonna start working and realize you need more then you thought. And like everyone else said, it could be totaled. Even if you fixed it, the car would be worth maybe half.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:49 AM
THE STIG

Wow dude, that sucks!! Good luck!
Old 03-15-2011, 06:24 AM

LOL

+1 .

The nerve of that guy in the SUV, stoppin' in front of you.

better yet, you were probably trailing him so close for so long, that he decided to give you a wake up call.

you awake yet?
jagg
Old 03-15-2011, 06:31 AM

+2.

I used to like playing this game in traffic.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Bug Zapper

You need to report this accident properly to the police/DMV and call your insurance company. Even if you can fix it, it need to have a salvage title (most certainly). If you choose to buy it back from your insurance company and fix it thats up to you.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Marioshi View Post
Even if you can fix it, it need to have a salvage title (most certainly). If you choose to buy it back from your insurance company and fix it thats up to you.
Probably won't get a salvaged title even if he reports it. The system is flawed IMHO.

In the state of Oregon(and possible others) pretty much the only way a car gets a salvaged title is if the insurance company actually takes the car. I'm not 100% sure on buy-back, but I know that even severely damaged cars keep their clean titles here as long as the insurance company does not take them(ie, my former Subaru WRX with over $10k worth of damage including the frame that still had a sparkling clean title).

Last edited by Silverstone_Ryan; 03-15-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Bug Zapper

the idea of a salvage title is that the car cannot be brought back to stock condition for less than the cost of replacing the car.

If your WRX was repaired for 10,000 dollars and that was less than the cost of the car it would not be considered a Salvage.

In CA I see lots of salvage titles. I believe you can buy the car from the insurance company for pretty cheap if they decide its totaled.

Last edited by Marioshi; 03-15-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:21 AM

CA must be more stringent. I see tons of Salvage titles on craigslist. guess it depends on the state.
Ya, CA is one of the leading states IMHO. In Oregon we don't even have a classification for to making cars illegal to repair and put back on the road like Cali does. You can fix ANYTHING here. I think we see a lot of California wrecked cars too for that reason. And yes, there are tons of salvaged cars on craigslist but I personally think that's because the majority of cars DO get taken by the insurance company after an accident. Most people don't want a car that has sustained serious damage. I TRIED to get them to total my Subaru! The idiots repaired it instead. I fully disclosed the accident when I sold it, but a dealer bought it and I bet they didn't tell the next guy since the title was still clean. The system is flawed. There should be no way to get around some sort of title branding if the frame of a car has been damaged. You see wrecked cars changing states too, I think that's another way that shady people can get around it. Some states are strict, others like Oregon are not. I can't tell you how many cars I've looked at over the years with clean titles that have been in serious accidents in the past...some of my cars included.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Bug Zapper

You need to report this accident properly to the police/DMV and call your insurance company. Even if you can fix it, it need to have a salvage title (most certainly). If you choose to buy it back from your insurance company and fix it thats up to you.
Crap, this was my th post. Can I get a re-do?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:39 AM

If your WRX was repaired for 10,000 dollars and that was less than the cost of the car it would not be considered a Salvage.
Here it pretty much boils down to whether the car is taken from you or not. A car taken by the insurance gets a branded title, if it stays with you it doesn't. And that's all about what is cheapest for the insurance company.

My WRX had over half it's value in damage. Add that to what they'd get for the car selling it at the insurance auction, I couldn't believe they didn't total it. Remember these were/are popular cars so the wreck would have gone for top dollar at the auction. It would have been cheaper for them even before my lawyer got involved! That was a bad experience but it worked out in the end. Went down like this:

Brand new '04 WRX(the hot car before the STI came out later that year). Driving down the road, go to make a right turn and get hit HARD from beind while turning. Smashed in the bumper and bent the whole chassis sideways. The estimate was over $10k to repair. I tell the other drivers insurance "I didn't buy a new car so that it could have frame damage. Just take the car for the KBB value and we'll be done. It will be cheaper than if I call my lawyer". They say no and start to repair, I call my lawyer. They start to repair the car then pull out and try to fight liability. My lawyer and I wait while the insurance company's fight over blame. It goes to arbitration and they don't even come close to winning(can't fight a rear-ending). They try now to 'take the car' as I requested and my lawyer laughs. In the end they pay my lawyer fees, the repair, and the loss of value to the car the car. I walk away from my car net(no profit, no loss) which is just what I wanted in the first place. But I assure you my lawyer wasn't cheap. It cost them big time!

Sorry for the hi-jack.

Last edited by Silverstone_Ryan; 03-15-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:25 AM

Any updates?