Off-Topic Forum for the discussion of anything that doesn't fit into one of the other forums.

S2000s at Barrett-Jackson

Old 01-18-2011, 06:45 PM

S2000s at Barrett-Jackson

With the Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction in Scottsdale, AZ starting tonight, it got me to thinking how many years from now it might be before we see S2Ks cross the stage there. I wonder how collectors will view our beloved cars in the future and what kind of money they might fetch in years to come. Your thoughts?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:04 PM

Are they big on imports? It seems when I see it on TV, they are usually domestics.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:11 PM

That's funny, I was wondering the same thing. The show takes place about 15 minutes from my house, but I have never been. Seems like 75% of it is old muscle cars with matching numbers. I would like to see the first S ever made be at the show 10-15 years down the road. Anybody know what the color/interior is of the first S made and where it is?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by dirtycrabcakes View Post
Are they big on imports? It seems when I see it on TV, they are usually domestics.
Muscle cars have been extremely hot the last several years, but they auction a good number of imports, roadsters especially...i.e. Austin Healeys, Jaguar X-types, Mercedes SLs.

Last edited by jjgoff; 01-18-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:16 PM

No s2000

I have attended B-J and would highly recommend it to anyone. Go early in the week, no later then Thurs as all the cars are still on display. You can spend the day just looking at Great autos. Never seen a S2000 at B/J.

Searched their archives and they have never sold an S2000.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:26 PM
General Nuisance

I don't get "SPEED" in HD. Comcast sucks!!!!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:59 PM

I'd love to go to B-J. It sounds like a great experience for car lovers. With snow in the forecast this weekend, I'll likely sit, watch, and dream about what cars I'd buy if I had more money than I knew what to do with. I must say S2Ks seem like such a bargain when compared to so many of the cars you see at these type of events...they've always been a lot of car for the money IMO tho'.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:02 PM
Resident Vigilante

Don't know about that but I can tell you someone I know just turned down $35,000 .. cash for a 1968 unr-estored left hand drive all original S800. Keep in mind that just 4 years ago someone purchased a basket case S600 in the mid 4 figures. Maybe 20 -30 years from now those S2000s as close to stock AND original as possible might get into the low 6 figures. If I am wrong I don't give a damn. I am keeping mine till all I can do is drool all over myself and remember what it was like to blast up and down the mountain. After that, they are going to a museum. Maybe one day Barrett Jackson will have an S2000 on the blocks but I think it is years away before this car will earn its respect as a collectible with the American collectors.

Last edited by s2kx2; 01-18-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dirtycrabcakes View Post
they sold a riced out civic once
Old 01-18-2011, 09:15 PM
Got S2000?

I've seen classic Zs on the B-J block before...it seems they'll sell anything if they think there's a buyer.

Sadly, I think most S2000s will eventually die the standard Japanese sports car death, as did the many RX-7s, 300ZXs, and Supras did before it. They get older, and cheaper, and more & more modified, and eventually end up in the hands of an inexperienced youngin' who wraps the car around a tree. Obviously there are exceptions, and that is not a rule by any means. But try finding one of those 3 mentioned cars above in a clean, unmolested, stock condition, and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited by Jim21680; 01-18-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Resident Vigilante

Originally Posted by Jim21680 View Post
I've seen classic Zs on the B-J block before...it seems they'll sell anything if they think there's a buyer.

Sadly, I think most S2000s will eventually die the standard Japanese sports car death, as did the many RX-7s, 300ZXs, and Supras did before it. They get older, and cheaper, and more & more modified, and eventually end up in the hands of an inexperienced youngin' who wraps the car around a tree. Obviously there are exceptions, and that is not a rule by any means. But try finding one of those 3 mentions cars above in a clean, unmolested, stock condition, and you'll see what I mean.
I agree but, If you are ever out in the Southern California area go to the Nissan museum in Temecula. The curator told me the original owner of an ALL original 1970 240Z on loan to the museum turned down $70,000 for her car. I have seen it and it is beautiful.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:04 AM

I am headed out to Phoenix this weekend to visit my son, so as it turns out the B-J auction is still taking place. I already purchased tickets for Saturday for ua and I hope to see some very nice cars. I see they are auctioning off a 1960 MGB, but they didn't show which day....hoping it's this Saturday. I will post pictures if I see any interesting cars next week after I return.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:47 AM
Hybrid Hater

Originally Posted by jjgoff View Post
With the Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction in Scottsdale, AZ starting tonight, it got me to thinking how many years from now it might be before we see S2Ks cross the stage there. I wonder how collectors will view our beloved cars in the future and what kind of money they might fetch in years to come. Your thoughts?
In my opinion thats another big advantage to other sports cars. Like the 370s or evo, sti things like that, they are all four door cars. Just like any other. They might be worth a bit some day. Or the could be looked at as fast but ugly some day. The S2K however is a classic body style and layout. It has been enjoyed sense the 60s and is really not much different today. I dont think it will be worth tons of money. But I do think it will be worth more than factory price some day.

You never know. I saw a CRX that was in near mint condition and all factory that went for over 16K on ebay. It only had 30K miles!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:43 AM
THE STIG

I think in the future there would S2000s. Look at the collectability of our cars now let alone in years to come.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:43 AM

I believe if we look at some of the typical characteristics of collectable cars, the S2000 meets them. (1) Performance: S2Ks definitely perform and handle well enough. The engineering that Honda put into this car to make it a pure sports car is special. Some cars bring about major technological advancements which make them collectable. The S2K almost took a step back and reintroduced the joy of driving a sports car without all the modern gadgets such as traction control and paddle shifters (2) Styling: This may be in the eye of the beholder, but I never recall anyone ever questioning the styling of an S2K. They are generally believed to be very stylish vehicles. (3) Quality: It's a Honda...enough said. (4) Limited Production: I personally believe this is what could really help separate the S2K from other similar vehicles of the era. Whether it's actually the case or not, when I mention I have an S2K to someone, most of them believe they are rare cars. You really just don't see many of them. Not many people consider a Z a rare car. Furthermore, if enough kids continue to wrap them around trees, they'll become even more rare. Think about Camaros and Mustangs. They were everywhere back in the late 60s and early 70s. A good number of them were eventually turned into track cars or drag raced to the point that the few "real" Z-28s and Boss 302s that are left are now worth big bucks. All this along with the fact that production for S2Ks was limited to 10 years and I think we've got a winner.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:50 AM
normal aspiration

Originally Posted by Red Fun for 2 View Post
I am headed out to Phoenix this weekend to visit my son, so as it turns out the B-J auction is still taking place. I already purchased tickets for Saturday for ua and I hope to see some very nice cars. I see they are auctioning off a 1960 MGB, but they didn't show which day....hoping it's this Saturday. I will post pictures if I see any interesting cars next week after I return.

the 1960 MG-B is a very rare car. take a photo and post it for us. it should bring a mint.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:20 AM
Resident Vigilante

I believe if we look at some of the typical characteristics of collectable cars, the S2000 meets them. (1) Performance: S2Ks definitely perform and handle well enough. The engineering that Honda put into this car to make it a pure sports car is special. Some cars bring about major technological advancements which make them collectable. The S2K almost took a step back and reintroduced the joy of driving a sports car without all the modern gadgets such as traction control and paddle shifters (2) Styling: This may be in the eye of the beholder, but I never recall anyone ever questioning the styling of an S2K. They are generally believed to be very stylish vehicles. (3) Quality: It's a Honda...enough said. (4) Limited Production: I personally believe this is what could really help separate the S2K from other similar vehicles of the era. Whether it's actually the case or not, when I mention I have an S2K to someone, most of them believe they are rare cars. You really just don't see many of them. Not many people consider a Z a rare car. Furthermore, if enough kids continue to wrap them around trees, they'll become even more rare. Think about Camaros and Mustangs. They were everywhere back in the late 60s and early 70s. A good number of them were eventually turned into track cars or drag raced to the point that the few "real" Z-28s and Boss 302s that are left are now worth big bucks. All this along with the fact that production for S2Ks was limited to 10 years and I think we've got a winner.
+1
Old 01-19-2011, 08:35 AM
Bug Zapper

(4) Limited Production: I personally believe this is what could really help separate the S2K from other similar vehicles of the era. Whether it's actually the case or not, when I mention I have an S2K to someone, most of them believe they are rare cars. You really just don't see many of them.
I wouldnt call 112,000 sold worldwide over 10 years a limited production. Most people are entirely uninterested in cars, thats why they havent heard of it.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Seņor Member

Japanese cars typically have trouble reaching collectable status like American and European cars. I'm really not all that sure why that is. I do know that in Japan itself the government taxes cars more and more heavily as they get older. Only wealthy people can own old collector cars in Japan. If they ever do buy their own collectible cars back it's in small numbers.

The S2000 certainly deserves collectable status. Based on performance, styling, build quality, production numbers, all of it. The S was also a big hit in Europe which will help bring the future values up.

For certain some day very soon nice, original, low mileage S2ks of all model years will stop depreciating and start going back up in price. Will they go up enough to be worth taking the car off of the road and putting it up on blocks? I seriously doubt it.

For one thing you'd be giving up far too much in driving pleasure.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:01 AM

If we are talking about collectablity and value, I think that time will come for the S2000.

If you compare to the roadsters of the past there is one big difference.

The old British and Italian roadsters ( MGB,Ausitn,Sunbeam,Fiat etc) were cute as hell but started falling apart in the showrooms. 35 years after the last ones were made ( which were the worst ones) there are very few good cars or memories left.

Many more s2ks will survive longer along with more pleasant memories.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Resident Vigilante

Originally Posted by Marioshi View Post
I wouldnt call 112,000 sold worldwide over 10 years a limited production. Most people are entirely uninterested in cars, thats why they havent heard of it.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:44 AM
Bug Zapper

looking back at rare japanese cars:

The toyota 2000gt was a "limited production" at only 351 built. Very expensive and collectible.

The 240z revolutionized the sports car , and sold over 100,000 cars while doing so. Not rare, not valuable.

Even the S500/S600/S800 sold 26,000 plus cars. Those are pretty rare but not crazy valuable like the 2000gt.

The s2000 falls into the 240z catagory. Over 100,000 made. In 30 years only the best kept models, likely 2000 MY will be considered valuable and even then, i doubt they will be brining in the big bucks at barrett jackson.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:55 AM

$1.1 Million Hemi-Cuda

While I will continue to drive my S2K and be very pleased with it, this car belongs to a good friend of mine.

At the Auburn Indiana Labor Day car auction, Gary turned down $1.1 million for this car. I won't tell you what his wife said!!!

He has had it in some major auctions. He has not gone to B / J because they will not pay his expenses, he has had it in Atlanta where they shipped the car and also paid him & wife to travel. I think he is also afraid of B /J because it is an absolute auction and he just can't bear to part with the car.

http://www.firstebodyhemicuda.com/#
Old 01-19-2011, 10:05 AM
Seņor Member

Based entirely on the car itself, not number made or anything else, if I were going to choose the #1 currently over valued car it would be the Hemi 'Cuda. Not that they aren't cool, but nowhere near over a mil cool.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:21 AM

i once saw a chevy caprice or malibu (late 90's i believe) that was on "pimp my ride" that went for like $12k at B-J.

yah i bought it to drive it, if it's worth something someday then great. i do know that with the laguna blue s2k i got a few months ago i could've turned it around and made $3500 off of it, but why would i want to do such a thing?
Old 01-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Seņor Member

Originally Posted by LTWU View Post
I do know that with the laguna blue s2k i got a few months ago i could've turned it around and made $3500 off of it, but why would i want to do such a thing?
Laguna Blue is going to be one of the best colors for the S. Fewer made and the car looks great in that color. That's what I was looking for but found a nice Silverstone locally at the right price.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:58 AM

What's an S2000?
Old 01-19-2011, 11:12 AM
Seņor Member

Originally Posted by specialk View Post
What's an S2000?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_S2000
Old 01-19-2011, 11:20 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by backusstudio View Post
Ooooohhhhhhhh.....
Old 01-19-2011, 12:09 PM

That's a sweet horseless carriage my good man. I wonder if it runs on an air pump, or some human powered sprocket system?

Oh wait, the news print you sent over explains everything in full detail.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Seņor Member

Originally Posted by specialk View Post
That's a sweet horseless carriage my good man. I wonder if it runs on an air pump, or some human powered sprocket system?

Oh wait, the news print you sent over explains everything in full detail.
I dig where you're coming from Daddy-o. But as you said yourself, retro is hip. There will always be a certain % of the populace that eschews fuel cell cars for the good ol' fashioned stank of infernal combustion.

The impending decline of the ICE may actually guarantee Stewie's place as a high water mark of the technology.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:38 PM
THE STIG

I dig where you're coming from Daddy-o. But as you said yourself, retro is hip. There will always be a certain % of the populace that eschews fuel cell cars for the good ol' fashioned stank of infernal combustion.

The impending decline of the ICE may actually guarantee Stewie's place as a high water mark of the technology.
Wow dude. Heavy man.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:44 PM

Anytime my dad and I go to a car show we see a car he used to have that he wished he would have kept...primarily due to the fact that they're worth 20X what he initially paid for it...but mostly because they're still cool cars that would be fun to drive. An S2K may never sell for 20X what they were new when they roll across the stage at B-J one day, but I believe they will likely start to increase in value some day. Most importantly tho', if I ever get rid of my S2K, I believe I would feel the way about this car, that my dad does about some of the ones he let get away...it will always be a cool car that's fun to drive.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:17 PM
Hybrid Hater

I would call it limited. The ford mustang sold about 3 times that in its first model year. And thats obviously only in America.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Bug Zapper

Originally Posted by 0tyrael0 View Post
I would call it limited. The ford mustang sold about 3 times that in its first model year. And thats obviously only in America.
The s2000 was not limited in production. Honda built as many as they could reasonably sell.

In fact, they sold so many, they decided to keep it around for 10 years model years. How can you call that a limited production vehicle?
Old 01-19-2011, 03:08 PM

The s2000 was not limited in production. Honda built as many as they could reasonably sell.

In fact, they sold so many, they decided to keep it around for 10 years model years. How can you call that a limited production vehicle?
yah and the only reason they discontinued it was due to the economy. 1) they weren't selling enough and 2) they went more towards hybrids (CR-Z) and fuel economy, less towards performance. no replacements yet for NSX, RSX, obviously S2K, and integra. though the RSX was a replacement for the integra, though nothing came close to the integra type-r from the RSX line.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:18 PM
normal aspiration

duh, what's ICE? is it like that 1960 MG-B?
Old 01-19-2011, 03:38 PM
EYECELLEM

I guess the way to figure out if a S will gain "collector" status would be to keep an eye on the Acura NSX that went out of production in 2005. As more owners trash/destroy their cars and fewer and fewer remain, who knows?
Old 01-19-2011, 03:51 PM
Bug Zapper

Originally Posted by Glenn1 View Post
I guess the way to figure out if a S will gain "collector" status would be to keep an eye on the Acura NSX that went out of production in 2005. As more owners trash/destroy their cars and fewer and fewer remain, who knows?

NSX prime claims that less than 9000 NSX's were sold in the US between 1990-2005. Compare that to over 66,000 s2000s. The NSX was much more limited in its production than the s2000 but probably is better known. Must be because it was featured in Pulp Fiction!

We need to get the s2000 in a movie (thats not F&F).

Ferris Buellers day off 2?
Old 01-19-2011, 03:58 PM
Seņor Member

Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post
duh, what's ICE? is it like that 1960 MG-B?
The MG-Bs I was around did about half of their combusting externally.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S2000s at Barrett-Jackson

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.