Off-Topic Forum for the discussion of anything that doesn't fit into one of the other forums.

PC gurus: I need your help please.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:18 PM
General Nuisance

PC gurus: I need your help please.

My wife's laptop died. (won't even turn on). Tomorrow, she's buying a new one. However, neither of us remember the password to get onto our wireless cable modem. Since my laptop is still working OK, it's prolly safe to assume that the password must be stored on my laptop somewhere. The question is: How can I retrieve the password from my laptop so she'll be able to use the internet right away on her new laptop?
Old 09-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Trqless

Hmmmm, off topic, but have you bought a new AC adaptor for the old laptop?
Old 09-08-2010, 10:28 PM
General Nuisance

Originally Posted by SXY_S2K View Post
Hmmmm, off topic, but have you bought a new AC adaptor for the old laptop?
It's the same model laptop as mine. Obviously, we tried the switch first to no avail.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Banned

do you mean wireless cable modem or wireless router? either way, that is where the login info is stored. use internet explorer to login to the modem/router by typing the default gateway address in the address bar
Old 09-08-2010, 11:29 PM
General Nuisance

Originally Posted by AP2FTW View Post
do you mean wireless cable modem or wireless router? either way, that is where the login info is stored. use internet explorer to login to the modem/router by typing the default gateway address in the address bar
I mean wireless router.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:45 PM
Banned

double click the network icon in the task bar and then click the support tab. write down the address for the default gateway and put that into the address bar in internet explorer. you should then get a prompt to log in to the router. once logged into the router find the wireless security settings and write down whatever your WEP key is

if you need more help let me know
Old 09-09-2010, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Doug3 View Post
I mean wireless router.

Your wireless routers IP address will probably be http://192.168.0.1 , http://192.168.1.1 , or http://192.168.2.1 depending on the manufacturer.

The factory default password to the router is normally username: admin password: admin (sometimes password is blank).

If you changed the default password on the router and can't remember it, there is a reset button on the back of the router that clears all the settings. This would include any settings to connect to your internet provider, so, you might have to call their tech support to get it set back up if you go the reset route.

Last edited by TTMartin; 09-10-2010 at 03:29 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:36 PM

A lot of the info provided already is going to get you where you need to go if you have some level of understanding of networks. I'm going to make the assumption that your ISP (cable provider) provided you with your cable modem with wireless router built-in. That being assumed, then the dirt *easiest* answer is this: you pick up the phone and call your ISP and ask them to help you. They will walk you through, step by step, how to retrieve the info you need directly from the device. They might even speak English too.

Is this how I would do it? No. But I'm not sitting in your living room right now so I have to give you the easiest advice that will get you what you want with minimal frustration to all parties involved.

-R.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:56 PM

Have you tried looking on the actual router? The pass key might be on a sticker on the unit...
Old 09-09-2010, 07:54 PM
General Nuisance

Thank you all for your help. As it turns out, she wrote it down a long time ago and stuck it in the back of her desk. We're good now.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:33 PM

even though you solved the problem it really isn't as hard as everyone else made it out to be. If you have windows 7 simply click on the wireless icon in the task bar of a computer connected to the network. right click the network it's connected to and than it should take you to that networks network properties. Simply click show characters underneath the network security key and you'll be able to see it.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:40 PM
General Nuisance

Originally Posted by tehboxzor View Post
even though you solved the problem it really isn't as hard as everyone else made it out to be. If you have windows 7 simply click on the wireless icon in the task bar of a computer connected to the network. right click the network it's connected to and than it should take you to that networks network properties. Simply click show characters underneath the network security key and you'll be able to see it.
That's exactly what I was looking for. Where the f--- were you last night?
Old 09-09-2010, 10:13 PM

driving my s2000 duh! hahah. Well at least now you and the others on here have that info should you need it.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Doug3 View Post
Thank you all for your help. As it turns out, she wrote it down a long time ago and stuck it in the back of her desk. We're good now.
Smart wife.

Originally Posted by tehboxzor View Post
If you have windows 7 ...
He didn't indicate OS. What you suggested will also only work if one isn't using a third party app to control the wireless.

Not saying the info isn't useful. It's just that there are caveats to it.

Best thing to do is exactly what the OP's wife did: document the network at the time it is configured.