Bra or no Bra - S2000 Forums

News & Special Announcements Keep up to date about all on S2000.COM...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-09-2007, 05:48 PM   #1  
Proud Member

Bra or no Bra

I live in Arizona where I'm constantly dealing with cars and trucks throwing stuff back at my Stewie. I have quite a few nicks in the paint because of this. My solution to this problem is to put a bra on my car. I would appreciate it if you guys could tell me the pros and cons to having a bra, besides the fact that it takes away from the look of the car.

Thanks,

Josť
Jbeni96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:53 PM   #2  
Top Always Down

The bra covers the nipples up though.
Oh, for your S. They do have clear, self adhesive sheeting that goes on the front end. I don't know where you get it. Someone here will chime in with the info soon enough. I've seen it and it looks pretty good. Beats pock marks all over the face of your stewie.
Dr. Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:53 PM   #3  

Hey,
I had a bra on my last car integra GSR
cons: you should remove the bra each time you wash
I left mine on for a while and got some scratches - no matter how soft the
backing is you still have to use loads of care, took a long time to buff out
pro: I liked how it looked

Cheers
Daddy Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:54 PM   #4  

!Hola Jose!

back here in the east, most guys will tell you that "no bra" can't be a bad thing. ! es la verdad!

Very Best Regards,
jagg
jagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:01 PM   #5  
Proud Member

The problem is that there is so much stuff on the roads here. I feel that if I don't protect the car, I will have to re-paint it soon. Right after I got the car an 18 wheeler got in front of me and sand blasted the front bumper and the windshield. It pissed me off. I have a bunch of nicks on the windshield and the bumper. My insurance covers a windshield replacement, but not re-painting the front bumper.

What are the cons to having a bra? I know that every time the car is washed, it needs to be removed. I can deal with that. What else do I need to consider?
Jbeni96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:39 PM   #6  

Okay, real answer.

the bra will help eliminate stone chips, but the paint on the car over time will become mismatched. I don't know why, something to do with the bright disc we worship in the sky, 'n various other environmental factors.
The clear skin mentioned seems like a viable alternative to a bra...at least from an ultraviolet light penetration standpoint, but you still can suffer the same type paint scuffing that happens with a bra, without diligent care.

Commonsense jagg response: avoid tailgating as much as possible, and cleanse car with soap and water when dirty.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:40 PM   #7  

The problem with many bras, clear or other, is the paint tends to fade were the bra isn't. Regular bras can cause abrasions in the paint. Clear bras can be installed wrong and make the front of the car look horrible. Bra or no bra, kinda looks like a lose lose situation to me. BTW - I don't have any kind of bra and have accepted that I will eventually repaint.

Like stated above, avoid following close.
spa01s2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:37 PM   #8  
Philosopher

I had to drive the highways of the SF bay area for 8 years and learned something real quick (well not quick enough to avoid replacing 2 windshields). This may sound kinda stupid, but I've found the best way to avoid being blasted is to back off a little or change lanes if you can. It really does help a lot.

I live in a cornfield now so it's not a big problem, but I'm going with Dr. J's recommendation of that 3M clear stuff.
DJJSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:22 PM   #9  
"Enjoy the drive"

To bad your's is an AP2. I have a Colgan nose mask (brand new) that I would be willing to sell you. It's for an AP1 though.
gomarlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:30 AM   #10  
Resident Curmudgeon

I don't know how practical it would be to fit to a large surface without it bein' specifically made for it, but on the bikes we use a clear, protective film that can be adhered right to the paint. Put it on, n' unless you really look, you don't even know it's there.
The garage'z cold n' I'm sittin' here in my skivvies, so the exact info will godda be forthcomin', but, I'm fairly certain that it's a 3M product.
But I've had it on my '99 since new, cut 3 pieces to better wrap aroun' the extreme curves'a the back'a the tank n' the same 3 pieces r' still in place. I treat 'em like the rest'a the bike's surfaces n' they get washed n' waxed (At rather extended intervals) but, still, when most folks look additt, they don't even know it's there.
It does eliminate the chance of abrasion from dirt, findin' it's way behind a bra, bein' rubbed into the paint. I know for a fact that it's readily able to be peeled off without any indication that it was ever there. You might wanna jus' clean up the area it was on n' wax it when you're ready to go without.
I suspect that after prolonged use, even though it's clear, there may be telltale color change in the areas where it was applied, but, after what? Almost 8 years, I haven't noticed any difference in color on my '99.
Like I said, I don't know if they have anything big enough to do a Stewie nose, but it might be worth checkin' out.
Be well.
Java
Java Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:10 PM   #11  
old man

There is a set of 3M 8mil clear adhesive selling on eBay pretty cheap. (about $25 inc shipping). I should have bought two sets, since I needed the first set to figure out how to install it. The kit included a pre-cut for the front bumper and pieces (4) for the mirrors. There is a video and written instructions online for it.
try this
www.thexarea.com

I get nothing for the promo, just a partially satisfied customer

By the way, you need to do more than just remove a regular bra at washing time, you also need to clean the backside of the bra of the dirt and road stuff that is there. Reinstalling it with the grime on it will just etch the paint worse than the sandblasting you get without it.
coty_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:59 AM   #12  
tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by coty_jim View Post
There is a video and written instructions online for it.
try this
www.thexarea.com

I get nothing for the promo, just a partially satisfied customer

Partially satisfied because you should've bought two sets to figure it out or partially satisfied because the product wasn't as good as you had hoped? I'd like to try this.
tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:30 PM   #13  
H20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag View Post
Partially satisfied because you should've bought two sets to figure it out or partially satisfied because the product wasn't as good as you had hoped? I'd like to try this.
It's very inexpensive at about 25 bucks for the complete set but do buy two because installation is a bitch. Or you can have it professionally done for about 600 bucks.
Myself I wouldnt mind the original style bra and if the paint dulls or scratches it can be polished back but chips through the paint cannot be polished back.
H20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:50 PM   #14  
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jimbo View Post
The bra covers the nipples up though.
Oh, for your S. They do have clear, self adhesive sheeting that goes on the front end. I don't know where you get it. Someone here will chime in with the info soon enough. I've seen it and it looks pretty good. Beats pock marks all over the face of your stewie.
It's called 3M Clear Bra and costs about $500 to $600 to do. Well worth the investment.
kgf3076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:41 PM   #15  

Bra or No Bra

I was looking for the same thing and found this website to have the 3m protection and it's online so you can order it from wherever you are. Not quite sure how easy it is to apply but the skill level says that it's "intermediate". Good Luck!

http://www.stickercity.com/store/home.php?cat=1111
konachk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:55 PM   #16  
H20

read all about it

Old 11-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #17  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgf3076 View Post
It's called 3M Clear Bra and costs about $500 to $600 to do. Well worth the investment.
I absolutely agree. I have a 3M clear bra on mine and it is great. I've put 35000 miles since I got it and I have no chips or dings. Spend the money!
Scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:22 PM   #18  

I'm located in Texas and use a Colgan Bra. I have looked at the clear sticker stuff, but don't really like it. I believe it is personal taste look wise, but actually like the bra on my black S.

Pro with the Colgan Bra you can take it off. Con you have to when you wash and it adds a couple of extra steps as you will have to clean it.

Pro of the 3M stuff you can wash it off. Con I found they rip, especially at points where you had chips. In addition you have difficulties ever taking it off, I also heard (have not confirmed that myself) that your color under the clear bra ages differently then the rest.

Hope that helps,
Franz
fhinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 05:40 PM   #19  
Sentient Being

I've put the Colgan Bra on my blue AP2, and I like the look. It matches the black rag top. And I got it on 'ole eBay for a nice price.

Best regards
Pablo
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:45 PM   #20  
Pimp

No bra. I always think that when I see them that the owner has body damage and is trying to hide it.
That's what the hood-rats would do back home. Guess that's always stuck with me for some crazy reason.
Two Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:59 PM   #21  

Hi Two Fun,

Well, I can tell you that my Colgan has saved me from scratches and other stuff so many times that the money I paid is nothing...
Franz
fhinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:36 AM   #22  
"Enjoy the drive"

I still have my Colgan for sale. It's in the box and only been out once to look at it, never installed. $50 shipped if anyone wants it.
gomarlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:59 PM   #23  
kellyinok

Posting in really late here. But I've been looking for an OEM bra for my Honda Hoover. Apparently they don't make them? I'd prefer to avoid the clear ones. I just want something to put on the front when I have to take long road trips. I hate the chips I've already gotten with just 2,000 miles on my baby.

But I don't want a full form Maiden Form. A Victoria Secret would be better. Any ideas?
kellyinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:33 PM   #24  

I install ClearMask out here in California and I am a true beleiver in it. All three of my cars have it on there and I dont have any rock chips. The material is warrantied for as long as you own the vehicle. I highly recommend finding a good installer. And I can tell you that the "$25 kit" on Ebay is garbage. You wont be happy with it. Find a good installer and have it done right. It will eliminate your rock chips and save you from painting the front end... and not have a black leather bra killing the look of the the car. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Thom
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:32 PM   #25  
Trqless

I have the same problem here in AZ, and I NEVER tailgate, NEVER. I conciously avoid traveling behind cars, avoid construction areas, and do everything I can to help it... Alas, my mirrors, bumper, and windshield are completely chipped/pitted. Too late for a clear bra :'(

Last edited by SXY_S2K; 04-26-2008 at 08:36 PM.
SXY_S2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:03 PM   #26  
Senior Member, Literally

Too late for a clear bra :'(

Gravity? Oops gotta stop that. Never could resist a straight line!

philiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:48 PM   #27  
Trqless

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiam View Post
Too late for a clear bra :'(

Gravity? Oops gotta stop that. Never could resist a straight line!

LOL Jerk-Face! haha, jk
Old 04-26-2008, 11:00 PM   #28  
Resident Vigilante

I put a 3M clear bra on my white S (though it is not the best color to put one on) and I am very happy with it so far. The Colgan Custom one I was testing for them chipped the paint where the tabs fit around the headlights. I contacted them and made suggestions on how to amend the issues they were having with the AP-2 bra, but I guess they elected to drop that and only make AP-1 bras. A shame really, because with just some minor changes it could have worked.

PS I will put the 3m clear on the red 01 when GW sends my rebate check
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05 s2k at meguiers.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	905  

Last edited by s2kx2; 04-26-2008 at 11:49 PM.
s2kx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:22 PM   #29  
Senior Member, Literally

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXY_S2K View Post
LOL Jerk-Face! haha, jk

Sorry! Must be this Freudian slip I'm wearing.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:44 AM   #30  
Trqless

seee, I'm trying to behave, and you boys are just egging me on!!!
Old 04-27-2008, 03:03 PM   #31  

Hey Dudette! Don't let them get to you Sometimes I go topless! LOL
chazdawg35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:15 PM   #32  
Senior Member, Literally

Quote:
seee, I'm trying to behave, and you boys are just egging me on!!!
Eggsasperating aint it?
Old 04-27-2008, 04:22 PM   #33  

Take some advise from Janet Jackson girl show the world!
chazdawg35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:56 PM   #34  
H20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Stwokay View Post
Bras on a woman, good thing, keeps time an gravity from wreckin a good thing. On cars, not so much...
Now lets clarify this..
Wonder Bra..VERY good! Whoever invented those things deserves a medal! They can take a pair of once proud and perky ***** and breath new life into them. Now the time worn but once proud woman can TURN HEADS AGAIN! And without surgery! Ahh Victorias Secret is indeed mans best friend!. And their catalogs don't suck either!

Sportsbra's. Arghh! EVIL things they are! Take a wonderfull pair of ***** full of life and clarity and turn them into UNIBOOB! What the He!!?? What are they THINKING?? I bet ya a wonder bra would keep them settled in just as well! And LOOK GOOD TOO!
Ya know they way those things mash everything together, there is a REAL DANGER of them growin together permanently! NO MORE CLEAVAGE! Think about THAT one for a while when you are runnin down the pike in your jogging togs, with the gals strapped down in a spndex nightmare straightjacket stranglehold! And I heard they are..well I leave that one out, but it aint good for you..aint good for anyone! What happenned to lift and separate I ask? Cross your heart!! For the love of GOD girls.. shop at Victorias Secret!
Old 04-28-2008, 04:05 PM   #35  
Trqless

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20 View Post
Now lets clarify this..
Ahh Victorias Secret is indeed mans best friend!. And their catalogs don't suck either!

Sportsbra's. Arghh! EVIL things they are! Take a wonderfull pair of ***** full of life and clarity and turn them into UNIBOOB!
Ya know they way those things mash everything together, there is a REAL DANGER of them growin together permanently! NO MORE CLEAVAGE! but it aint good for you..aint good for anyone! What happenned to lift and separate I ask? For the love of GOD girls.. shop at Victorias Secret!
Haha, you guys crack me up SO much! VS is the ONLY place to shop But I have to work out in TWO sports bras Trust me, a wonder bra wouldn't cut it... It'd just make me wonder how I got these two black eyes! lol
Old 04-28-2008, 04:11 PM   #36  
Senior Member, Literally

Quote:
Haha, you guys crack me up SO much! VS is the ONLY place to shop But I have to work out in TWO sports bras Trust me, a wonder bra wouldn't cut it... It'd just make me wonder how I got these two black eyes! lol
LOL! My mammary done tol me.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:18 PM   #37  

Quote:

Oh Lord, it's a boobfest.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:19 PM   #38  
H20

Quote:
Aye ya paint a pretty picture Lass!
OK..Ahem...
I have a clear bra I'm gonna put on when it's good and warm out. I got the 25 dollar ebay one. I did 1 mirror last fall as a test. Looks fine.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:20 PM   #39  
H20

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiam View Post
When I was a booby..err Baby..
Old 04-28-2008, 04:39 PM   #40  
Trqless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagg View Post

Oh Lord, it's a boobfest.
haha, I have a really funny shot glass I want to show you guys a pic of, but I fear that will just get me into more trouble, lol......