News & Special Announcements Keep up to date about all on S2000.COM...

Any old timers around?

Old 01-17-2019, 06:51 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Thumbs up Any old timers around?

Been a while. Just thought I'd check in. This site doesn't want to go quietly. Kinda like me.
Still driving the Silver Streak which replaced the burned up banana. At 85 I may have slowed
a bit but as long as I can get in and out of the car I'm still driving ahead of old age.
Regards to any who may hang here,
Phil
Old 01-18-2019, 01:14 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by philiam View Post
Been a while. Just thought I'd check in. This site doesn't want to go quietly. Kinda like me.
Still driving the Silver Streak which replaced the burned up banana. At 85 I may have slowed
a bit but as long as I can get in and out of the car I'm still driving ahead of old age.
Phil
Old as in ancient or old as in long-time S2000.com denizens? Hey Phil. Good to hear you're still out ther stirring up the populace.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:44 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by philiam View Post
Phil
Glad to see you are still carving up the roads Phil!!!
Old 01-18-2019, 10:13 PM

It is said, "You are only as old as you feel". This is discouraging, as lately I've felt about 90, but have not yet reached 60. Anyhow, a frustrated 59 y.o. here who bought an S2000 during the rainiest year on record -- and Thomas Jefferson kept records in these parts, so they go back a ways. Now we have snow melting and are readying for ice. On the bright side, I'm not racking up miles.

I hear ya about age and getting in and out. I have told people that I may someday need an engine hoist to pull me out of my little roadster, but as long as I can operate it safely, I'll be tooling down our backroads with the wind in my... well, errr, on my scalp

Question for anyone who might read this: Do you ever go out to your S2K and just sit in the driver's seat like when you were too young to drive?
Old 01-19-2019, 01:07 AM
Senior Member, Literally

Originally Posted by CarbideRotor View Post
It is said, "You are only as old as you feel". This is discouraging, as lately I've felt about 90, but have not yet reached 60. Anyhow, a frustrated 59 y.o. here who bought an S2000 during the rainiest year on record -- and Thomas Jefferson kept records in these parts, so they go back a ways. Now we have snow melting and are readying for ice. On the bright side, I'm not racking up miles.

I hear ya about age and getting in and out. I have told people that I may someday need an engine hoist to pull me out of my little roadster, but as long as I can operate it safely, I'll be tooling down our backroads with the wind in my... well, errr, on my scalp

Question for anyone who might read this: Do you ever go out to your S2K and just sit in the driver's seat like when you were too young to drive?
Yes, I go out to the garage, sit in the car and listen to some jazz. My first car was lost
in a garage fire. I was lucky enough to find a 2000 S with 28000 mi. on it.
It was 300 miles away. I flew up and drove it home. The car came with
an upscale radio and a CD changer in the trunk connected to the factory
radio. The car was a garage queen and is my therapy. After a spirited
drive I come home 10 years younger! This is after 2 open heart
surgeries. Been driving and S for 11 years now. Still a blast!
Old 01-19-2019, 07:33 AM

Sorry you lost your "baby", but great that you found a nice replacement. Good stereo = more reason to be in the driver's seat

Was just thinking about how you said driving the S2K is "therapy" (and I couldn't agree more!). The crazy things doctors prescribe nowadays (emotional support animals, weed, etc.), I'm wondering if I could talk my young MD into prescribing "a drive in your roadster" as good therapy. As much as I pay for health insurance, they should be buying me a car every couple of years anyway!

Anyhow Philiam, keep it up and enjoy! Assuming that pic is of your current car, it looks just like my own 2003 (AP1), also a garage queen when I rescued her from captivity.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:40 AM
EYECELLEM

When ah was a young 'un gas was .02 bits a tankful, milk was free..........

Hi Phil, glad to see still carving corners
Old 01-19-2019, 10:48 AM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Still around too. Still working; have not hit 65 yet. Still have the yellow 09 named after my wife: Rebecca. Now hitting 67K miles. Tons of roads in the Sierras and elsewhere to drive.
These two shots were in Oregon and Point Reyes.

Glad to see everyone around and that good replacement cars are still around!

Old 01-19-2019, 01:34 PM

Glad to see you check in Phil. I often wonder about how you are doing. With the extensive background that you have had it was always good to get your thoughts on things that were being posted.
Living in the frozen north I only get half the year for logging miles. Just finished summer #11 in my '07 and looking forward for May to roll around to get back at it again.
I have my car stored remotely from home, as I don't have a garage. But if I did, I know that I would go sit in it off season, cause if fits so nice.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:41 PM

The cover is on, so I do not, but I do look at it a lot and yearn, yeah I do and it is real, and I do a lot of reading about the car, as well as paying attention to the S2000 market. Everyday I count myself very lucky to own and drive this one of a kind machine...even when it can't realize that for which it was built, and I can't experience the realization, until May...

Old 01-20-2019, 05:00 PM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by HondaOwnerForLife View Post
The cover is on, so I do not, but I do look at it a lot and yearn, yeah I do and it is real, and I do a lot of reading about the car, as well as paying attention to the S2000 market. Everyday I count myself very lucky to own and drive this one of a kind machine...even when it can't realize that for which it was built, and I can't experience the realization, until May...
I'd like to see you at the Dragon just so you can learn more about the car and more about your driving. While the Dragon is NOT the place for pedal to the firewall driving, it's a challenge to driver and vehicle. I've gone at least twice a year for the last 10 or so years and I learn something new about myself and the car every time
Old 01-20-2019, 06:40 PM

I'll look at the schedule, though May is extra busy this year with a graduate. I did look at the satellite and man that looks like a driver's paradise
Old 01-21-2019, 01:26 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by HondaOwnerForLife View Post
I'll look at the schedule, though May is extra busy this year with a graduate. I did look at the satellite and man that looks like a driver's paradise
There's something about 318 turns in 11 miles that seems to make it a challenge. Hope you can make it out.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:11 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Originally Posted by kgf3076 View Post
Old as in ancient or old as in long-time S2000.com denizens? Hey Phil. Good to hear you're still out ther stirring up the populace.
Always glad to be in touch with old (or new) friends. These days I need all I can get. I have been blessed
with a marriage that will be 66 years next month. My wife and car both keep me young!
Old 01-22-2019, 05:20 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Originally Posted by Switchblade View Post
Glad to see you are still carving up the roads Phil!!!
Glad to see you're hangin in there Blade. Amazing that this site is still going.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:34 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Sorry you lost your "baby", but great that you found a nice replacement. Good stereo = more reason to be in the driver's seat

Was just thinking about how you said driving the S2K is "therapy" (and I couldn't agree more!). The crazy things doctors prescribe nowadays (emotional support animals, weed, etc.), I'm wondering if I could talk my young MD into prescribing "a drive in your roadster" as good therapy. As much as I pay for health insurance, they should be buying me a car every couple of years anyway!

Anyhow Philiam, keep it up and enjoy! Assuming that pic is of your current car, it looks just like my own 2003 (AP1), also a garage queen when I rescued her from captivity.
I feel a little sorry for those of you who are snow bound. Every place has its good and bad
points. I got to put ona few miles escaping the fire that surrounded us on all sides. We evacuated
for 3 days. Got very lucky! The flames were a couple of miles away but our neighborhood
came through unscathed. When you first crank up the S it'll feel like the first time you drove
it. You tend to forget the performance built in to that little critter!
Old 01-22-2019, 06:03 PM
Senior Member, Literally

The car in the picture was the flying banana that was roasted in the garage fire. It was
a 2002. I now drive the 2000 silver streak. I put new tires on it. The fronts were original
and tires are not a place to try and save money on an S. Had them put on Michelin Pilot
Sports and they feel like the car's on rails.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:13 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Talking

Originally Posted by Glenn1 View Post
When ah was a young 'un gas was .02 bits a tankful, milk was free..........

Hi Phil, glad to see still carving corners
I was pumping gas back then. Flying A and Richfield. Saved up my 50 cents an hr. to
buy my first car for $150. 35 Ford coup with no second gear. Those old flathead V8's were
good engines.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:45 PM

I'll turn 70 this year, have had my S since 02, Can't wait for spring to arrive.
Levi
Old 04-23-2019, 12:14 PM

Phil, I'm a relatively new member, and I so appreciate your message. At 81, my "Late Life Crisis" car, a 2005 S is my Blue Baby. I race it in AutoX here in SC when I can. I won't upgrade beyond novice status, because as a newbie I can get someone to ride with me as my retention of the course takes several laps before it gets familiar. Getting in an out of the car is still OK, but I have to do a lot of chair squats and see a massage therapist and a chiropractor weekly to stay limber enough! Yes, the S keeps 'old age' away. I feel young again when I'm behind the wheel.