New S2000, new member - S2000 Forums

New s2000.com Member Area / Introductions Are you new to S2000.com? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By balaw
  • 1 Post By kgf3076
  • 1 Post By HondaOwnerForLife
  • 1 Post By ZigZag
  • 1 Post By HondaOwnerForLife
  • 1 Post By HondaOwnerForLife
  • 2 Post By kgf3076
  • 1 Post By kgf3076

New S2000, new member

Reply

 
 
 
Old 07-12-2018, 12:13 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 1
New S2000, new member

A welcome from a new member. I live in SoCal and just bought a mint, 100% original silver 2003 with 30k miles. I am 68 and this is the first car I have really been excited about since high school. I just love driving it.

I have one question about this forum... there seem to be a ton of posts about performance and handling enhancements. Are there many forum members that just love the stock original and take pride in keeping it all original?
DallasDz and CarbideRotor like this.
balaw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:16 PM
  #2  
8 Hours NE of the Dragon
 
kgf3076's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Here obviously.
Posts: 5,230
You just missed S2KDays in Socal. Next year S2KDays will be in Gettysburg, PA. Hope you can make it. Welcome to S2000.com and make sure you check out S2KCA (which is NOT S2K California but S2K Club of America and S2KI.com as well.)
CarbideRotor likes this.
kgf3076 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:52 AM
  #3  
THE STIG
 
Switchblade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NAZARETH, PA
Posts: 8,265
Welcome!!
Switchblade is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:06 AM
  #4  
Never Slow down
 
Wayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 1,163
Welcome! I’m a keep it stock kind of guy with only minor updates that the average person wouldn’t notice. Had a 1975 Volkswagen Super Beetle before this that was 100% stock and looked like a brand new car.
Wayne is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:35 AM
  #5  
Member
 
HondaOwnerForLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: See above
Posts: 70
Originally Posted by balaw View Post
A welcome from a new member. I live in SoCal and just bought a mint, 100% original silver 2003 with 30k miles. I am 68 and this is the first car I have really been excited about since high school. I just love driving it.

I have one question about this forum... there seem to be a ton of posts about performance and handling enhancements. Are there many forum members that just love the stock original and take pride in keeping it all original?
I take possession of my 2001 AP1 (with just south of 17K miles) on the 27th. It is so original that it still wears the original tires. I am replacing the 16's with OEM 17's, but that's all. I plan to do nothing else except care for, maintain, and drive it...

So yes, stock is good...
DallasDz likes this.
HondaOwnerForLife is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:06 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
ZigZag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Close to the twisties in Glacier Park
Posts: 375
I am definitely a stock guy too. I have gotten different tires each time but that isn't unusual. Reading posts from here over the years it doesn't seem that there is much you can do performance wise to improve what Honda has blessed us with. Of course going with he forced induction thing has a significant performance increase, but that is a major mod with many dollars associated with it. I get my giggles with how it rolled out of the show room.
CarbideRotor likes this.
ZigZag is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:20 PM
  #7  
Member
 
HondaOwnerForLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: See above
Posts: 70
A 2.0, 4-banger that makes 240 HP should not be bastardized IMO
HondaOwnerForLife is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:37 PM
  #8  
Junior Member
 
CarbideRotor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by balaw View Post
A welcome from a new member. I live in SoCal and just bought a mint, 100% original silver 2003 with 30k miles. I am 68 and this is the first car I have really been excited about since high school. I just love driving it.

I have one question about this forum... there seem to be a ton of posts about performance and handling enhancements. Are there many forum members that just love the stock original and take pride in keeping it all original?
CarbideRotor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:12 PM
  #9  
8 Hours NE of the Dragon
 
kgf3076's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Here obviously.
Posts: 5,230
The simplest answer is "yes".
kgf3076 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:38 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
 
CarbideRotor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 25
Hello Eddie (Kindred Spirit, Fellow Newbie)

New member as of tonight and new S2000 owner as of last weekend - - hi y'all.

As for your 2003, if its mint and stock, keep it stock and ENJOY it that way. Only if you are certain, from experience or exhaustive research, what the car needs and how it would 'be' with the changes, would you want to take the risk of modding a future classic. Low-mileage, unmolested examples are becoming more and more rare, so only make modifications if its exactly what you want, resale and classic value be damned. But, if you want the car to retain its value as a classic, keep it OEM; That's what collectors want and thats what they will pay for. (This opinion is based mostly on tons of reading and conventional wisdom among most car collectors, but also from a lot of soul-searching on my part because I am in a very similar situation).

As fate would have it, I too just bought a "mint, 100% original... 2003" (yellow, 14k miles). I never intended to buy a garage queen, as I wanted an S2000 to drive, not treat as a museum piece, but a garage queen is what I found - and at a price I expected to pay for something with more miles and wear. But that leaves me in a bit of a quandary (no, I'm not complaining), whether to maintain the virtually pristine and unmodified car as it is, or treat it as I intended to treat any S2000 I would have bough and not worry about resale value (I'm not so much worried about losing my purchase money to depreciation as I am thinking I may already have some equity built in that I could preserve - or possibly lose with mods or added miles).

In the end, I think the car is cool as hell just as it is... In fact, the privilege of driving a car exactly the way it was originally designed and released 15 years ago - and in the same condition - is an opportunity so rare that it should not be squandered. So there we have it - answered our own question - maybe.

Would love to hear other opinions though - especially considering there are two of us geezers (I'm pushing 60) in a similar situation, pondering similar things. That's got to be fairly uncommon for a semi-rare "future classic", doesn't it?
CarbideRotor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:41 AM
  #11  
Member
 
HondaOwnerForLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: See above
Posts: 70
Sure, miles are going to add up and lower the value, but not like mods will lower it. Your car will always be low mileage. Drive it. Care for it. Don't modify it. It will appreciate regardless of the mileage.

My 2001 has 17,200 miles now and I can't stop driving it.....and I am not worried about miles depreciating it...
CarbideRotor likes this.
HondaOwnerForLife is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:54 AM
  #12  
Member
 
HondaOwnerForLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: See above
Posts: 70
I bought mine from the owner of an independent Honda service, maintenance, and body shop provider. I took it to another trusted Honda/Acura only independent service and maintenance provider that I have known for 20+ years. He actually owns and races a 2003 AP1 (It is no longer street-legal) and knows my car as he knows the original owner also. He did not realize that "Joe" had sold the car and certainly was not aware that the car only has 17K miles. His advice to me after thoroughly inspecting and performing fluid service on the car was this:

Drive it. Clean it. Maintain it. Do NOT modify it. It is 100% stock and unmolested. It will only APPRECIATE in value. And......IF you ever think of selling, please call me first!!!
CarbideRotor likes this.

Last edited by HondaOwnerForLife; 09-02-2018 at 04:58 AM. Reason: spelling
HondaOwnerForLife is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:04 AM
  #13  
8 Hours NE of the Dragon
 
kgf3076's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Here obviously.
Posts: 5,230
Originally Posted by CarbideRotor View Post
Would love to hear other opinions though - especially considering there are two of us geezers (I'm pushing 60) in a similar situation, pondering similar things. That's got to be fairly uncommon for a semi-rare "future classic", doesn't it?
Pushing 60 makes you a geezer? Nah, you're just a beginner. I'm pushing 75, own an '03 AP-1 and an '08 CR, still go to the Dragon twice a year (where I'm NOT the oldest person there), organize 5 S2K events per year and drive both cars the way they were intended to be driven. Welcome to the S2K brotherhood youngster.
Switchblade and DallasDz like this.
kgf3076 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:00 PM
  #14  
Junior Member
 
CarbideRotor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by kgf3076 View Post
Pushing 60 makes you a geezer? Nah, you're just a beginner. I'm pushing 75, own an '03 AP-1 and an '08 CR, still go to the Dragon twice a year (where I'm NOT the oldest person there), organize 5 S2K events per year and drive both cars the way they were intended to be driven. Welcome to the S2K brotherhood youngster.
!Outstanding! And thanks for the great welcome. Maybe I'd do better asking you for advice on life, not cars! But as for the subject vehicle... You don't track your AP1, do you? Don't think I could do that to my new-to-me baby, although I'm fine winding it up and zipping around the backroads that I bought it to drive on. From the sound of things on this forum, I should never hesitate to at least do that much Otherwise, what's the point of having an S2000, right?

Speaking of age (including the middle-ager here, balaw), the 'little old lady - literally' from whom I bought my S2K was 60 when she bought it, 75 when I took it off her hands. Just a cute little sunny-day toy for her, but she would have kept it if not for an ankle injury that made clutching difficult. Feeling like I got into this roadster (and forum) just in time to start anew in my appropriately spring chick colored runabout!
CarbideRotor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:25 PM
  #15  
8 Hours NE of the Dragon
 
kgf3076's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Here obviously.
Posts: 5,230
Originally Posted by CarbideRotor View Post
!Outstanding! And thanks for the great welcome. Maybe I'd do better asking you for advice on life, not cars! But as for the subject vehicle... You don't track your AP1, do you? Don't think I could do that to my new-to-me baby, although I'm fine winding it up and zipping around the backroads that I bought it to drive on. From the sound of things on this forum, I should never hesitate to at least do that much Otherwise, what's the point of having an S2000, right?

Speaking of age (including the middle-ager here, balaw), the 'little old lady - literally' from whom I bought my S2K was 60 when she bought it, 75 when I took it off her hands. Just a cute little sunny-day toy for her, but she would have kept it if not for an ankle injury that made clutching difficult. Feeling like I got into this roadster (and forum) just in time to start anew in my appropriately spring chick colored runabout!
I stopped doing track stuff when I hit 45. I built race cars and engines for 10 years, got my competition license when I turned 21 and did motorcycles and cars. Nah, the cars are for having fun with, I don't have any need to race any more, but I do like to keep my reflexes tuned up and sharp which is why I do the Dragon trips (tailofthedragon.com) twice a year. You're just getting started, one of my best Dragon friends is 82, so you have a LONG way to go.
CarbideRotor likes this.
kgf3076 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:33 PM
  #16  
Junior Member
 
CarbideRotor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by kgf3076 View Post
I stopped doing track stuff when I hit 45. I built race cars and engines for 10 years, got my competition license when I turned 21 and did motorcycles and cars. Nah, the cars are for having fun with, I don't have any need to race any more, but I do like to keep my reflexes tuned up and sharp which is why I do the Dragon trips (tailofthedragon.com) twice a year. You're just getting started, one of my best Dragon friends is 82, so you have a LONG way to go.
I'm good with that Always had enthusiasm for cool cars, but I did the opposite of fix them up or race them; I either crashed them or examined ones other people had crashed (car safety research, fyi). Finally have resources that allow me to "play" with cars now, and out of the 5 I've bought and sold strictly for fun over the last 6 years, the S2000 is the one I expect to hold onto and enjoy whenever and however I want. Good to be here!

Last edited by CarbideRotor; 09-03-2018 at 02:37 PM.
CarbideRotor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:33 AM
  #17  
THE STIG
 
Switchblade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NAZARETH, PA
Posts: 8,265
Congrats and welcome!!!
Switchblade is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
James Dean
New s2000.com Member Area / Introductions
23
07-06-2012 06:03 AM
Rudy-S2k
New s2000.com Member Area / Introductions
3
02-20-2010 07:03 PM
jmrosko
New s2000.com Member Area / Introductions
2
02-08-2010 04:39 AM
ainthaly
West
18
02-28-2008 08:13 AM
eddielake
New s2000.com Member Area / Introductions
10
03-03-2007 12:38 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread