2001 S2000 - Page 2 - S2000 Forums

New s2000.com Member Area / Introductions Are you new to S2000.com? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Like Tree6Likes

2001 S2000

Old 07-28-2018, 06:07 AM

16,437 miles when I took possession. The ride is so much improved with the 17's and the 500's over the original 16's and original tires...question: should I keep the original 16 inch wheels? That was my thought, but then I am never gonna run them on this car again. Anyway, plenty of time for that decision. Thoroughly cleaned the interior and spent a lot of time on the seats. For 17 years, they are in damned good shape I think. Wish it was not raining here in Omaha today...some pics

Old 07-28-2018, 10:14 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Nice.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:48 PM

You will remember this weekend for a long time. This is summer 11 for me and the first week I got the car is still burned into my memory. Good times ahead.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:07 PM

Oh my......what a driver's car...
Old 08-03-2018, 06:07 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by HondaOwnerForLife View Post
Oh my......what a driver's car...
It absolutely is.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:54 AM

Just north of 16,800 miles now. Last evening I took my wife for a spirited drive and really got on it. High RPM's, all the way up the gears and then back down. Exposed her to VTEC for the first time. This is an incredible machine. Wow and oh my Lord seem to be my only vocabulary when behind the wheel...
Old 08-04-2018, 03:04 PM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Don't know who wrote "Tires 40 PSI" on the VIN sticker, but I'd highly recommend you ignore that Depending on which tires you had installed, you might want to run something closer to 32psi in the rear and 35psi in the front. 40psi might be fine for 16" wheels but it is NOT for 17".
Old 08-04-2018, 11:00 PM

I'm running from the passenger door jam tire label...and Indy 500's...
Old 08-05-2018, 12:34 AM

Old 08-05-2018, 09:55 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Use Goo-Gone or a heat gun and get rid of that S&M (okay, I know it's not really S&M but ...) sticker. The car doesn't need any unnecessary embellishment to mar it's beauty
The tire pressure settings on the VIN label are for 16" wheels and tires You're running 17" tires. Adjust accordingly (and the pressures I posted are Dragon tested on my AP-1 as the generic "best" for minimal snap oversteer. YMMV )
Old 08-05-2018, 02:37 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Just like this, great color!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160214_143907.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	3.41 MB
ID:	12868   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160214_161850.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	3.85 MB
ID:	12869  
Old 08-05-2018, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by kgf3076 View Post
Use Goo-Gone or a heat gun and get rid of that S&M (okay, I know it's not really S&M but ...) sticker. The car doesn't need any unnecessary embellishment to mar it's beauty
The tire pressure settings on the VIN label are for 16" wheels and tires You're running 17" tires. Adjust accordingly (and the pressures I posted are Dragon tested on my AP-1 as the generic "best" for minimal snap oversteer. YMMV )
Noted...
Old 08-06-2018, 11:07 AM
EYECELLEM

Originally Posted by kgf3076 View Post
Hey KG, I beg to differ. Tire pressure is selected by the manufacturer for the oem suspension. So just going to a a plus 1 tire size doesn't necessarily mean one should change tire pressure. It's best to stay with the 16" tire pressure on the door jamb label even if you're now going with 17" tires. Now, tire pressure can be adjusted accordingly (for both 16" or 17" wheel/tire) is one is planning to autox or track the vehicle.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:22 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by Glenn1 View Post
Hey KG, I beg to differ. Tire pressure is selected by the manufacturer for the oem suspension. So just going to a a plus 1 tire size doesn't necessarily mean one should change tire pressure. It's best to stay with the 16" tire pressure on the door jamb label even if you're now going with 17" tires. Now, tire pressure can be adjusted accordingly (for both 16" or 17" wheel/tire) is one is planning to autox or track the vehicle.
The "tire manufacturer selected tire pressure" is just like the pictures on food packages. It' a nice place to start but isn't gospel and chances are good it's going to turn out to be different in real life. If you looked at the posted picture, someone had written "tire pressure 40psi on the VIN tag. Not exactly the OEM tire pressure. That kind of tire pressure initially would lead to some serious tire pressures after an hour of driving on a normal Summer day. I don't think I'd ever want tire pressures over 60 PSI hot which would be likely if you start at 40 PSI..

Name:	yellows2k.jpg
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	12870  
Old 08-07-2018, 05:43 AM

I am running the pressures set by Honda as indicated on the tire size/pressure label on the passenger door jam. I am not running 40 PSI. Honda recommends the pressures on the tire label, not the tire manufacturer. As for the S&M badging, thanks, but I've know the owners of S&M for many years, consider them friends, and will "advertise" for them as I choose. He could have gone to the open market to sell this car, but did not, he sold it to me for a more than fair price. I am good with the "badging" for now.

Last edited by HondaOwnerForLife; 08-07-2018 at 07:33 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-07-2018, 11:30 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Sounds legit to me.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:37 PM

Thanks KG. I have a question:

2003 Suzuka #332
2008 ABP CR #400 of 699

How do you decide which one to drive?
Old 08-08-2018, 02:15 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Thanks KG. I have a question:

2003 Suzuka #332
2008 ABP CR #400 of 699

How do you decide which one to drive?
The AP-1 goes on a lot of ""exploratory" drives (setting up events, checking routes, etc.). The CR usually is the official "event" car.

Name:	IMG_1652.JPG
Size:	2.73 MB
ID:	12871  
Old 08-08-2018, 08:54 PM

tire label says 32 PSI on all four corners....and that car is beautiful, KG, damn...
Old 08-08-2018, 09:26 PM

VTEC.....In this Honda is truly different than in any other Honda engine I've experienced, and there have been a few...
Old 08-08-2018, 09:57 PM
THE STIG

Very nice KGF!
Old 08-09-2018, 02:44 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

tire label says 32 PSI on all four corners....and that car is beautiful, KG, damn...
Yeah, both of mine say 32 PSI as well, and that is pretty much what every tire manufacturer says for tire pressure. That's reasonable for average driving. Not great, not horrible, just average. From experience, you can determine whether or not those are best for the kind of driving you do. I run Dunlop Direzza Sport II which are an extreme Summer tire. To keep the rear more planted, I run 32 PSI there, the fronts (from experience) to make the steering more response, I run 35. Personal experience and many trips on the Dragon (Deal's Gap, NC), led to those pressures.

Thanks for the compliment, The car went through a year and half full restoration to make it even better than the day it came from the factory. Eight coats of hand-rubbed OEM paint, full front clip and the mirrors got self-healing clear bra to keep the rock chips to a minimum and lots of other massaging down to special powder coating of the wheels.

Last edited by kgf3076; 08-09-2018 at 02:49 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:01 PM

Old 08-17-2018, 08:10 AM
Oz S2K

@ 40psi ...you may die...

For your own safety go on with 32psi s
Old 08-17-2018, 04:59 PM

Thanks. Not my note and I don't run 40 PSI. I run 32, as indicated earlier in the thread...
Old 08-17-2018, 08:36 PM

And.......every time I drive this car I feel I'm getting better at driving this machine. I'm so lucky and humbled to have it.
DallasDz likes this.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:21 PM

Old 08-31-2018, 10:47 PM

Logged 700 miles as of tonight. I think I hit 7500 RPM tonight and pulled strong all the way there, and of course VTEC in this engine is pure joy. I am slowly becoming more aggressive with turns, curves, and general safe opportunities to feel the road-holding capability of the car. I am getting better and becoming more comfortable, but always in control and aware this car can get away from me if not smart and attentive.

So, I am thrilled to have a couple more months to drive the S before it's time to lay low for the next 6 months.

It's a driving experience of soul and machine seeking High RPM harmony with high G handling.

I am not ready to push this car yet, and that says a lot about what this car can do. Absolutely enamored with the S...
Old 09-09-2018, 07:40 AM

Just north of 800 miles now since taking possession on 7/27/18. Taking it in to my alignment & tire guy next Saturday. Feels like a slight pull to the right. I cannot put into words the joy it is to drive this car. I "push" it more and more every time I get it alone, and it still has a lot more I've not tapped into yet, mainly because I am cautious. No need to rush it is my thought process. Love this car. Love the experience when the engine hits VTEC. Cornering is flat out mad and I have not reached it's break-away point yet.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:23 PM

Hey Honda - Just reading some posts here and saw this thread of you deliberation over your purchase a month or so back. What an awesome story and great "find". Way to be persistent! I'd say you got a fair if not excellent deal. I'm not sure "overpaying" is a thing with these anymore (at least not if its one or two thousand dollars), especially if you're talking super-low mileage cars.

FYI: Not sure if I mentioned this before, but I paid the asking price of $22,900 for my 2003 with same mileage as yours and feel it was fair - - maybe not a "deal", but certainly fair. My logic is that when you find a well-made, popular/cultish, out of production car with super-low miles, ANY price paid in the vicinity of "market value" is a good price. I suspect people can hold out for top dollar on these top-condition versions if they aren't too crazy with asking price. I know its anecdotal, but when I got to the point of discussing price when buying mine, the second I suggested I was ready to make an offer, the husband (handling the selling process for his wife, the owner) emphatically shook his head and gave me a look as if to say, "Don't even think about it". And I was okay with that, despite thinking I could haggle over fresh tires and a battery. Bottom line is the car was (is) incredibly well-preserved, and when/where else was I gonna find one like it?

One other thing on price: Hagerty's shows the AP1's staying about the same value for the last 6 years, with "concourse" (best possible) condition AP1's on a steady INCREASE in resale value. I'm guessing yours and mine surely must be somewhere between 'excellent' and 'concourse' condition, though I have no idea the precise criteria for 'concourse' outside of brand-spanking new(??). I'm thinking that fair-weather-only garage queens must certainly qualify as top-tier.

Have you done more than tires and oil? I did those plus an air filter, coolant, and alignment. No idea if any other fluids are needed considering the low miles - - the ones I can see sure LOOK clean.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:57 PM

PS - Raining here in the east coast region, with lots more expected for the whole next WEEK (including possible landfall of a major hurricane). Patience requested in advance, as I'll be popping in often to get my S2K 'fix' while my beautiful baby sits... and sits... in the garage till the weather clears.

Let's see, she's all waxed up - including every nook and cranny I could find. Interior looks great. Not a speck of dust on the wheels... Wait, I've got it! I've never "done" leather seats before. Surely THEY must need some attention - - yeah, that's what I'll do to justify more time in the garage, because just going out there and lingering about is getting weird - lol.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:52 PM

When "Jim" poked his head out of his office on June 1st to tell me this was it, this is the year he's selling and that It was mine if I wanted it, he made it clear that he was selling it at $20K. He said "don't even ask".....And I didn't...but I did my research and came to appreciate that this car could have sold for $22K to $24K on the open market. I am lucky to have it at any price really, and grateful that he let it go at that price. He did so for several reasons, but the most important was that he knew I would love the car and care for it as he did...

I have another trusted independent Honda/Acura service/maintenance provider. I mentioned him in this thread earlier I think. He races his 2003.
We decided that all fluids would be changed, given the circumstances, so all fluids and filters were done on August 10th. So we now have a good starting point going forward.

I know he rarely drove it when wet and it was put up and garaged in his shop from October to April. May - September were the months he had it out.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:00 PM

I call mine excellent.....not sure I could argue "concourse", but like you have no idea what criteria must be met for that designation/classification. It looks pretty freakin' good and drives better than it looks, so that's what I can speak to...
Old 09-10-2018, 11:19 PM

I call mine excellent.....not sure I could argue "concourse", but like you have no idea what criteria must be met for that designation/classification. It looks pretty freakin' good and drives better than it looks, so that's what I can speak to...
Ditto to that! Couldn't care less about the classification unless I was selling (furthest things from my mind!). Its about the joy, not the value, but nice to know we can probably drive these all we want, take care of them, and turn around and not lose a dime - hell, maybe even make a penny or two. And as for price and sellers, tho mine was different, yours said you would "love the car and care for it as he did...". My seller said the same. They saw me and my teen son having some nice father-son time (reminded of themselves I think - had a son who loved cars - even showed us some pics of the Lambo and Ferrari he had owned - - sweet couple) and so we were appreciating the car's condition and enjoying getting to know both it and the only owner it has ever had, and they said they really hoped WE would buy it instead of somebody coming in from NJ (a potential buyer from NJ had called before we came). No offense to NJ (actually who cares!), but the point was they knew we would appreciate and care for it as she did. Speaking of that, I need to send a few pics of her all re-waxed in some pretty places.

Oh and yeah, I should probably do the rest of the fluids, as you said, to have a good starting point. I wonder about belts and hoses - dry rot? Shop I went to said everything looked so close to new they could not imagine suggesting replacement. If a belt or hose does 'go' (doubt it), I'll just replace it and all the others under assumption they too could have problems. "Problems" - hahaha! One word I am not hearing or seeing when I look up 'S2000'

We're a lucky bunch - all of us - and I couldn't be happier to have lucked into being here! Better still, I get the feeling everyone else here feels the same way.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:22 PM

The other Honda/Acura mechanic, the one who races his MY03 AP1, when I first asked him about the S2000, after "Jim" told me he was selling, said the S2000 has been pretty much bullet proof if serviced properly......which is pretty much like every other Honda/Acura vehicle I have owned, and there have been a few.

Lucky? That's understated, for me anyway.....lucky and humbled, and still look at it in my garage and can't believe it's mine and that I've put almost 1,000 miles on it since July 27th....and yeah I think all S owners feel really good about driving and owning this car.

On the way home from work, stopped at a light In NW Omaha, where there's more road than vehicles, a Vette convertible passed in front of me, and the woman in the passenger seat saw me and turned and looked at me the whole way though the intersection.....thought that was pretty cool...

In closing, I love this car.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:27 PM

Switchblade and CarbideRotor like this.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:26 PM

Nice pics!

Apologies if this is a duplicate - laptop ran outta juice when I hit 'send' - - was asking you about the wheels, to which I found you answer in an earlier post here, so "never mind" on that. I think I'm gonna keep my OEM's for now, but may get 17's some time later. As for your thought process (and mine)...

I would not suggest your selling the 16's. As clean and low-miles as both our cars are, if/when there is ever a time either of us would sell (you never how life might turn out), a buyer is most likely going to want the originals. But even if they don't, they'll most likely want to SEE them. I say this from recent experience, having been looking at Audi R8's for a while early in the summer. 3 of the 4 I looked at had aftermarket wheels, so I insisted on seeing the OEM's because the dealers said they had the OEM's which also came with the car. Looking at the old wheels (and hopefully tires, if still mounted) can tell you a lot. "Curbings" or other mishaps or abuse to wheels, and if the tires are still mounted (they were on 3 of the 4 we looked at), one can look for irregular wear (as one set had) and/or evidence of hard/track use (2 of the 3 we saw had signs of doing hard track time). Just sayin' that an astute future buyer may well want to see the originals, as having aftermarkets can be a red flag to buyers and someone may or may not trust your assertion that you just happened to like the larger ones better. Might be easy enough to believe if the car is in great shape, but the R8's I looked at were in great shape too. Storage can be a hassle and if you can get good dollars, it may be worth getting rid of them. Of course they can always be backups if you damage one (but what are the odds?).
Old 09-12-2018, 01:34 PM

2003 S2000, Week One

Photo

Name:	IMG_6806.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	4.44 MB
ID:	12884  
Old 09-12-2018, 06:24 PM

The original wheels are in the basement, where they will remain for now, like you said, one never knows what tomorrow holds. For this car, there was never a choice for me. The bigger wheels of the AP2 I had to have on my AP1. I'd not mar this car with non OEM wheels. Very happy with its stance and handling with the larger AP2 wheels and the 500's. Yet, I've just scratched the surface of driving/pushing this car. I've found a couple of winding stretches NW of me, so I'm getting better, and gloriously experiencing the odometer climb. I can say this...the most spirited and enthusiastic and enjoyable and flat out exhilarating 1,000 miles I've ever driven.
CarbideRotor likes this.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:23 PM

now it is 1,000 miles

CarbideRotor likes this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 S2000

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.