New member from Iowa - S2000 Forums

New s2000.com Member Area / Introductions Are you new to S2000.com? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By IA-SteveB

New member from Iowa

Old 05-10-2018, 02:10 PM

New member from Iowa

I first drove a 2001 S2000 when they were brand new. My best friend's dad bought one and amazingly let us take it out for a spin. I was simply amazed at how the car drove. Throughout my life I have owned a lot of cars for my extra "fun" car, mostly Buick Turbo Regals, Grand Nationals and Mustangs. I recently became interested in the Honda when I saw an episode of Wheeler Dealers where Edd brought one back to glory. I recently fell upon an opportunity to buy a very well kept 79k mile silver S2000 with red leather interior. It is entirely unmolested and even comes with a rarely used hard top. I closed the deal and am picking it up tomorrow! I can't wait to be in a convertible since I have never owned one. Hopefully it ends up being the car I have been searching for and I think it will be.
Ghaleon_L79 likes this.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:50 AM
THE STIG

Congrats and welcome! Make sure you find the secret compartment!
Old 05-11-2018, 07:57 AM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

That is a great looking car! Plus a hardtop! Would love to know what it all went for.

It looks like you live in the land of snow. The hardtop may come in handy. You may be tempted to modify it but wait a year first. You will be surprised even more!

Welcome!
Old 05-12-2018, 09:28 AM

Great find. You are going to have a great summer. As per Cosmo's comments above, where are you located and how much did you get it for. With the reference to you being in the land of snow, that is my situation. The season is typically May 1 - Oct 31. It makes me crazy hearing of all the great miles the southern guys get to take advantage of.
Old 05-12-2018, 11:56 AM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Smile

Originally Posted by ZigZag View Post
It makes me crazy hearing of all the great miles the southern guys get to take advantage of.
Like this? Tioga Pass Yosemite. You can see snow in the background!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	TiogaPassS2000.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	3.57 MB
ID:	12816  
Old 05-12-2018, 03:12 PM

Ya. Like that. The thing about storing all winter is that every spring it is like getting a new car. This is summer #11 and a good road trip is on the agenda.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by ZigZag View Post
Great find. You are going to have a great summer. As per Cosmo's comments above, where are you located and how much did you get it for. With the reference to you being in the land of snow, that is my situation. The season is typically May 1 - Oct 31. It makes me crazy hearing of all the great miles the southern guys get to take advantage of.
I just got done going through it and the car is simply amazing for the miles. I just did the normal things like fluid changes and a serpentine belt as well as a bumper to bumper detail. To me the car looks two years old with 12k miles on it in every way and I work on and detail cars as my hobby. I am always in the garage. My plan for the car is to leave it bone stock just like it is and it might see 2-3k per year at the most since it is a third car. I have a 2016 Rav 4 as my daily and a 96 Mustang Cobra as the summer fun car but that role is now occupied by the S2000. The hard top is an awesome option to have in my back pocket and it really changes the look of the car. It also has a tonneau cover for the soft top but it looks like a pain.

This car was located in Minnesota and now has 80k miles, stored every winter. I drove the car home from Minnesota to Iowa (approx 190 miles) with the hard top on and it honestly took some getting used to running at 4000 rpms on the interstate. I had to keep double checking I was in 6th gear. I probably paid more than I should have but I wanted a car with a known history that was stock and hasn't changed hands often. $14k. I don't think it is a terrible deal and I rationalized it by thinking I could get out of it fairly easily if it ended up not being the right car for me as long as it is the right time of year to be selling a convertible. I don't think I'd lose a whole lot and could still say I owned one. I am pretty darn sure this will be a great car for me but it has been raining so I haven't gotten any driving in and the hard top is still on. Looking at a lot of sites like cars.com, auto trader etc this doesn't seem like too bad of a deal but I'm sure there are opinions on both sides. An unmolested car that has been treated right is worth a premium to me and in the end, that's what counts.

What is funny about this car is that it is actually longer from firewall to front bumper than my Mustang with an engine less than half the displacement.

Last edited by IA-SteveB; 05-14-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:57 PM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

You might want to look at that hardtop slightly differently when you know that I sold mine from my CR for $3000 without the mounting hardware and they are now going for up to $4500.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:09 AM
THE STIG

$14K I think is a pretty good deal with the hardtop and condition. Well bought!!
Old 05-15-2018, 06:55 AM

I didn't know the hard top was valued at such a premium. Now I have it safely in the basement.

I finally got to take it out with the top down last night and it was a joy. I was amazed at how quiet it is while driving but I am not sure what I expected. I have only been in a vert once and that was 18 years ago. To me, this car feels like it can do everything very expensive sports cars can do but for far less. Impressive to say the least. It sure makes all of these new roundabouts they are putting in a lot more fun.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:38 AM
Never Slow down

Welcome! You did very well at 14K...congratulations!