First Time Ever in an S2K >> 10,000 Miles Later - S2000 Forums

New s2000.com Member Area / Introductions Are you new to S2000.com? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-06-2018, 10:06 AM   #1  
S2000 Driver

First Time Ever in an S2K >> 10,000 Miles Later

Hello from Highland Park, North of Chicago, USA!

I purchased my MY00 Silverstone/Black S2000 in Jan or early Feb of 2017, with 15,800 miles on the odometer. It was entirely stock, and had sat under a car cover for some time. The seller, a smaller dealership, had picked it up, presumably from an estate sale, and I happened to be in the market at the right time. I came from a too-remote 2015 Audi S5, looking to replicate or build upon the direct feeling of my 2000 Honda Prelude, which had a fully built suspension.

I had never been in an S2000 prior to the test drive. The loudness and raw sounds surprised me, but I appreciated how direct the car was, so I took it home. I had studied S2000s via forums and videos, and I was wary of oversteer. I've had experience with RWD vehicles, but the S2000's short wheelbase and suspension geometry set it apart. Of course, it started raining hard as soon as I left the dealership, so I spent my first 45 minutes clutching the wheel and keeping my inputs as smooth as possible.

Since then, I've put 10,000 glorious miles on the car, expanding my comfort zone every step of the way. I haven't spun yet, but have come close 3-4 times. I've learnt that my reaction time is pretty good. I can maintain a slip angle through curves, though it's significantly more challenging in the wet. I've driven the car through two winters, and needed snow tires for the current season. The car is as raw / thrilling / unforgiving as I'd hoped, and I'm a better driver as a result.

My thanks to you all for your knowledgeable contributions, which led to my ownership of this car.

No mods yet. The only planned mod is an exhaust, and that's just a twinkle in my eye at this point. Enkei RPF1 SBC staggered wheels (no fender rolling) are in my garage, but I'm saving money toward tires. I also have a Toyota FJ Cruiser that I'm slowly building up, plus all of the normal expenses of life, so it's a balancing act.
DallasDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:23 PM   #2  

Welcome! Where's the pics!?
Good choice on the FJ cruiser, Ive come from a tacoma and now in my second tundra!
Toyonda002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:11 AM   #3  
THE STIG

Welcome! Find the secret compartment??
Switchblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:03 AM   #4  
S2000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade View Post
Welcome! Find the secret compartment??
Haha, I knew about the secret compartment from researching the car in-depth. What eluded me was the fuel door release. A friend who had owned an S2K challenged me to find it on my own, but after about five minutes at a gas station, I had to consult the manual.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:27 AM   #5  
THE STIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasDz View Post
Haha, I knew about the secret compartment from researching the car in-depth. What eluded me was the fuel door release. A friend who had owned an S2K challenged me to find it on my own, but after about five minutes at a gas station, I had to consult the manual.
That one got me as well.
Switchblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:03 AM   #6  
Never Slow down

What a great story and welcome to the forum! Let’s see some pics of that rare 15K S2000!
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:44 AM   #7  
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Indeed. I too had not driven an S2000 until I purchased one long distance; also stock and low miles.
I might add you may wish to wait at least a year or so before making mods as significant as the ones you mention. The geometry is really very good out of the box. Many times people make it worse than what Honda came up with. As for the exhaust, I find that is sounds just fine when I wind it up but the drone is minimal when cruising so you can listen to music or your passenger without being annoyed.
The best thing you can really do in the short term to improve handling is get a set of really good summer performance tires. (I like Pilot Super Sports)
Welcome!
cosmomiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:21 AM   #8  
S2000 Driver

Here are a few photos I took after a spray wash this weekend. Sorry for the water everywhere, but you get the idea. The exterior was perfect when I got it, but after 10,000 on Chicago highways, there are several tiny rock chips. I don't sweat those because I plan to repaint it (same color) when the need eventually arises. The interior was/is perfect except for the driver's seat bolster (shown), and exactly two pin-head-sized spots in the paint around the shifter, where the previous owner might have dropped some keys.

I was really happy to get the OEM spoiler, front lip, and side strakes.

I tossed out the decrepit OEM floor mats, and got RicksS2K carpet mats, which performed perfectly.

Last edited by DallasDz; 03-12-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:45 AM   #9  
S2000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmomiller View Post
Indeed. I too had not driven an S2000 until I purchased one long distance; also stock and low miles.
I might add you may wish to wait at least a year or so before making mods as significant as the ones you mention. The geometry is really very good out of the box. Many times people make it worse than what Honda came up with. As for the exhaust, I find that is sounds just fine when I wind it up but the drone is minimal when cruising so you can listen to music or your passenger without being annoyed.
The best thing you can really do in the short term to improve handling is get a set of really good summer performance tires. (I like Pilot Super Sports)
Welcome!
What led you to seek out an S2000 long-distance, without having driven one? Had you ridden in one before?

I love the suspension compromise between handling and stiffness, and I don't want to change it. I want the lowered-but-functional look, but not so much that I'll move away from the stock shocks before they're dead. The new RPF1s are just for looks and grip. Until this Winter, I was running the OEM Bridgestones, which have plenty of tread left, but not much grip. There's no way they're the original tires, right? I keep forgetting to look at the manufacturing date on them.

I've definitely read what you're saying about the exhaust. I plan to ride in a few S2000s with various exhausts before purchasing one, to make sure that they make the sound I'm after. As a driver, I'd like to hear the exhaust balanced with the engine sound, and my passengers all understand that we'll have to speak up during the drive. With that said, I do love the OEM exhaust sound too. It's a nice sound, just not loud enough. I enjoy loud cars. Even my son's EK coupe is too quiet for my liking.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:05 AM   #10  
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

I had never driven an S2000; I did not know anyone who owned one. I did speak to an occasional owner at gas stations or the like. I also did a lot of research. The first time I drove one was the one I already owned for two weeks! Dealer drove it to the airport in Phoenix to pick me up in it.

Why the distance? (I live east of Sacramento and my 2009 was in Phoenix) I wanted a west coast car to avoid any corrosion issues. I had been tracking this one car for months on eBay. It never reached reserve. I finally contacted the dealer who had it and began discussions. The reserve was way over book. We came to an agreement and I purchased it sight unseen, not counting the bazzilion pictures they had. It was a low miles (30K) 2009 Rio Yellow (my favorite) stock, one owner car that had never been abused in any way. I knew I would never see another one like this in a while. Only 38 09 Rio Yellows were sold in the US.

So I purchased it the car and told them it would be a few weeks to get it. I thought about shipping it but the drive was too tempting. It was springtime, through the desert and over the Sonora Pass home. Two days of great top down driving.

I now have 65K miles on it. I did add some BQuiet and 3M Thinsulate under the carpet and in the doors to improve radio sound and make the cabin quieter on the freeways with my wife. I stopped forward of the transverse hump to keep the engine sound. I have performed 2 valve adjustments, performed the rear axle tightening of the axle bolt, and replaced the TCT with a Billman GenX. I also swapped out the OEM head unit for a 45 amp Sony with adjustable colors (to match the S). I link it to my Note phone for streaming so I hardly ever open the CR radio door now. I used Modifry plug and play connectors and the DCI dash interface he has. Works perfectly. After the new HU and sound insulation I found the stock speakers were not that bad after all so I wound up not replacing then but keeping them.

BTW, as far as your rock chips go, if you do a little research you will find it is pretty easy to make those chips disappear with very good results. You won't have to do a complete paint over. It appears to me your paint job is really nice. Keep it.

Last edited by cosmomiller; 03-13-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:18 AM   #11  
S2000 Driver

Talk about diving in! Driving an S2000 for the first time, all the way from AZ to CA, sounds like a dream come true. I've always wanted to buy a car far away, and drive it home. The closest I got was IL to IA in my Prelude, which had a stuck caliper metal-to-metal the entire time. Scrrrraaape. Not exactly what I had in mind.

Nice work on the car hunting. You obviously had a specific target in mind.

Why valve adjustments at such low mileage? Is that recommended?
3M Thinsulate; do you find that it keeps cold/heat from leaking into the cabin, or was that part of a sound dampening solution?
Old 03-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #12  
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Valve adjustments are recommended much earlier than what Honda puts in writing but only for the drive by wire cars. The exhaust valves can become a bit tight leading to torching. You should do the axle nut tightening. Trying to find a thread on that but I am out of time right now.

Below is a link to the sound/ NVH thread I did.

https://www.s2000.com/forums/interio...-bad-ugly.html