New guy from front range Colorado (Colo Springs) - S2000 Forums

New s2000.com Member Area / Introductions Are you new to S2000.com? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-03-2017, 04:29 AM   #1

New guy from front range Colorado (Colo Springs)

Hi everyone,
In the market for a convertible 2-seater and for whatever reason, the S2000 had never really been on my radar--probably because you just don't see a ton of them, which is kind of cool.

Test drove this one yesterday at a local dealer... the s2000 is on my radar now ha ha

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5017/overview/

My initial thinking was the price was a bit high, so I walked, but after looking around, I dunno, maybe it's in line. I was thinking of offering $14 and asking for new tires, but decided to mull it over. It's been there for 50 days which is surprising to me. Also a guy test drove it right before me and passed. Something wrong I wonder? (I couldn't detect anything on my test drive)

Needs tires and there's a small hole in the top. The tires are mis-matched when struck me as odd--I would generally think of these cars as enthusiast owned. (who knows though, maybe he threw crappy tires on it when trading in?)

Had a question about the potential valve retainer issue.... would I just take to a good mechanic who knows these cars and have them put new ones in? Maybe even dealer? What $$ should I factor?

Looking forward to the expertise and experiences here. I've never driven a car like the one I did yesterday. I'm 54, and have been driving manuals since I was 13 or so. That was the best feeling clutch and shifter I've ever driven--and I've driven my best friend's Lotus Elise and Ferrari 360 Modena!

-Eric
Skeezix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:18 AM   #2
THE STIG

Price on the car in your link seems fair. As far as the retainers go, get someone to check them. If they are not cracked no need to change them. Good luck in your search!
Switchblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:31 AM   #3
Got S2000?

If you do ask for new tires, be sure to have a role in what tires are installed. Leaving it up to the dealer alone, he'll likely put on the cheapest set of all-seasons he can find (which is not doing this car justice).

If you're like most S2000 owners, you'll want your car on a nice pair of high-performance summer tires. They don't last long (15,000 miles perhaps), but it's only fair with a car like this.
Jim21680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:10 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. For now, I'm passing on that one and will re-engage an s2000 search maybe within a year. I'll take my time to find one in the condition, color, miles etc that I really want.
Skeezix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:43 PM   #5
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

About $2k too high.
kgf3076 is offline   Reply With Quote