New s2000.com Member Area / Introductions Are you new to S2000.com? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

"New" Member

Old 02-26-2017, 06:48 AM

"New" Member

Hi everyone. I bought my first S last November. It's a Suzuka Blue '06 with 49k miles. I used to drive an '04 RX8. I would probably still be driving it, but it was totaled when I was hit just in front of the driver-side door.

So far, I love the car. I recently did a compression check and a valve adjustment in addition to a couple of trunk leak repairs. The car is stock. My first real modification will be to have the seats re-upholstered. Iím not a fan of the original perforated leather seats. I expect them to start cracking at any time.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:11 AM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Welcome! I would recommend waiting about a year before jumping on the "I can't stop spending money on it now that I have started" modification train.

The seats actually are pretty darn nice; they are an expensive and hot commodity to be stolen by others because they are so nice. The hold up well with the exception of the side bolsters. I changed how I get in the car to avoid stressing them and for me, wear has stopped.

I would change out all the fluids for a new baseline. Don't forget to do two important checks.

The first is a re-torque of the rear axle nut.
The second is a check of the valves. On drive by wire throttle cars, the exhaust valves have been found to be tight. If left they way they are, valve torching can follow.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:13 PM

Thanks

I appreciate the info. So far, I've completed a compression check and a valve adjustment. I had to adjust one exhaust valve on cylinder #1 and both on #4.

My next project is to change the differential fluid.

I'll probably wait to have the seats re-upholstered until the current covers start to rip. I doubt they will make it through a Texas summer. I suspect the seats will begin to rip along some of the perforations.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:24 PM
Never Slow down

Congrats on your purchase and welcome!
Old 02-27-2017, 05:50 AM
THE STIG

Congrats and welcome! Find the secret compartment yet?
Old 02-27-2017, 10:56 AM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

I have never heard of the seats tearing along the perforations. My MDX is another story; seats self destructed from the perforations. However that leather is very different. One thing, the seat cushions are interchangeable from each side. You might be able to balance the wear that way.

When you do the fluid changes, like the diff, be sure to get the proper crush washers. Always loosen the fill first then the drain in case you can't get the fill out. You won't have an underivable car that way!