New s2000.com Member Area / Introductions Are you new to S2000.com? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New Member, Picking her up Next Weekend!

Old 06-28-2012, 09:47 PM

New Member, Picking her up Next Weekend!

Hey Everyone, I just joined the forum today, and am looking forward to help from you guys. Well I'll start with a little background, I own a 2009 Honda Civic, which is modded and done clean in my opinion and I know somewhat about cars, and can tell the difference between ricey and clean lol. Well, I found this white Honda S2000 for sale locally for a great price, so I decided to go take a look at it. It has 107k miles, and has no problems other then a "lifter" problem and its riced the fackkkk out! So I'm planning on picking her up next weekend but need opinions and help first. Let's start with a few pictures so you know what I am working with:

Name:  5L55N45F23Ec3Ga3N6c5ld043f18e5e75132e.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  25.9 KB
Name:  5Nb5P55Ja3K23Ic3L9c5ld2e70b459cc9185c.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  30.1 KB

Ok, now that you have seen the pictures, the questions will begin.

The owner said it has a 09 cr rear end? What is that?
Are the headlights blacked out or aftermarket?
How do I go about removing the body kit?
Are the rear quarter panels changed?
Are the front fenders changed?
What bodykit is this, is it worth anything? How do I go about putting it back to OEM?
The car has a lifter problem. What is that and how Do I fix it?
The car has a puck clutch. What is that?
It has a Invidia exhaust, is that good or bad? I know its good on civics lol

Okay, those are about all of my questions. The car needs alot of work to me, exterior wise. The car was yellow before also, he painted it white. I want this car to be perfect, with everything original on the outside, slammed on coilovers, with some nice wheels.

Please help and answer my questions, and give me advice on how to start this. I have ALWAYS LOVED S2ks and now have the perfect chance to get one. But I am very skeptical with this car because of the body kit and ricey crap etc lol.

Thanks guys, any help is appreciated

Here are some pictures of my Baby, my 09 Civic :
Name:  DSC_0372.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  233.1 KB
Name:  DSC_0374.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  272.1 KB
Name:  DSC_0396.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  261.4 KB

Last edited by PakiSwag; 06-28-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:50 PM
Bug Zapper

Everything on the side looks glued on. I think your fenders and rear quarters are stock. The front and rear bumpers look aftermarket. As for getting it off, your guess is as good as mine. I would imagine you will need a respray of the areas under the body kits.

Headlights look like stockers that have been tinted. Thats all I got. Good luck, unless s2000s are really rare in your area, I think I would have passed unless its priced accordingly.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:37 PM

Price on the car?
Old 06-29-2012, 12:30 AM
Resident Vigilante

Your Civic is VERY nicely done!

RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION OF THIS CAR WITH YOUR CHECK BOOK TIGHTLY IN HAND. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!

There are better S2000s to be had. Unless you have cubic dollars to return her to some configuration (or are a masochist) and want to save her. I would leave.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:37 AM

Yes, run away!!! I would be very suspicious of all that after market body kit and the re-paint. What is the present owner trying to hide?? Does it have a clean title? Unless the guys giving it away I'd stay away!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 06:01 AM
mlc

Have you even seen this car in person????

Has a lifter problem????

As the rest have said, unless they are LITERALLY handing you the keys and the title and saying "thank you" DO NOT BUY THAT CAR!!

Just trying to help.

Good luck.

Kevin
Old 06-29-2012, 06:12 AM
House of CR.

Pass on that turkey son, thats my advice!
Old 06-29-2012, 06:36 AM
THE STIG

Very nice Civic! I would personally stay away from that S2000....
Old 06-29-2012, 06:45 AM
Silverstone 2001

The only reason I would even take that car for free is strictly to part it out and make a few bucks, in which case you would be left with a big mess that you would have to deal with and your neighbors will hate you in the process. That thing has been forever ruined, as it is never going to be worth the money to bring it back. Do yourself a favor--keep saving up and wait for something much nicer. You should be able to find something respectable in the $10k even range, or something very nice as I found for under $15,000. Good luck, and nice looking Civic btw!

Last edited by EricJT7; 06-29-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:54 AM

Old 06-29-2012, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by SoftTopGuy View Post
Price on the car?
$7k
Old 06-29-2012, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by s2kx2 View Post
Your Civic is VERY nicely done!

RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION OF THIS CAR WITH YOUR CHECK BOOK TIGHTLY IN HAND. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!

There are better S2000s to be had. Unless you have cubic dollars to return her to some configuration (or are a masochist) and want to save her. I would leave.
Thanks! But the car is priced fairly, and I want to fix everything and make it stock
Old 06-29-2012, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by agski View Post
Yes, run away!!! I would be very suspicious of all that after market body kit and the re-paint. What is the present owner trying to hide?? Does it have a clean title? Unless the guys giving it away I'd stay away!!!
He says it has been in no accidents according to him, clean title and very cheap price and a s2k in need of help
Old 06-29-2012, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by EricJT7 View Post
The only reason I would even take that car for free is strictly to part it out and make a few bucks, in which case you would be left with a big mess that you would have to deal with and your neighbors will hate you in the process. That thing has been forever ruined, as it is never going to be worth the money to bring it back. Do yourself a favor--keep saving up and wait for something much nicer. You should be able to find something respectable in the $10k even range, or something very nice as I found for under $15,000. Good luck, and nice looking Civic btw!
I know it's in bad shape, but underneath all that ugly bodykit and crap there is a Honda s2000. The body kit can be taken off, bumpers changed, and everything else Fixed, and the car can look good again. The guy is asking $7k which is fair for the 1-2k i am going to spend in making it look good again. I want to buy it and make it nice again, I thought all the people on the forum would help answer my questions, not all tell me to not buy it
Old 06-29-2012, 07:41 AM
just havin' fun

Body panels should have been installed with doubled sided silcone tape. Front bumper and hood are a well selling item. The rear bumper and side pieces are not as resaleable. The car may have to be repainted depending on how the body pieces were installed and how easy the paint can be matched. As far as the coilovers, i do have my stock units if you are interested pm me. If you like the ride with your current coilovers they should be able to be adjusted to bring the car to a stock ride height.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by will williams; 06-29-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:44 AM
S2000.com Sponsor

s2000s do not have lifters.

those little cylindrical things? those are lifters. in the lifter valley. of a pushrod motor (in this case, an LS7)

lifters ride on the camshaft and push the (lol) pushrods that push the rocker arms that depress the valves.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:47 AM
S2000.com Sponsor

oh, and the puck clutch.

it's basically a race clutch. puck clutches are usually VERY grabby and hard to manage in traffic, they are usually on/off with no inbetween.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:45 AM
official newb

Originally Posted by PakiSwag View Post
I know it's in bad shape, but underneath all that ugly bodykit and crap there is a Honda s2000. The body kit can be taken off, bumpers changed, and everything else Fixed, and the car can look good again. The guy is asking $7k which is fair for the 1-2k i am going to spend in making it look good again. I want to buy it and make it nice again, I thought all the people on the forum would help answer my questions, not all tell me to not buy it
Considering the way the car looks we will assume 1 of the previous (young) owners drove the car pretty hard from time to time so many people would prefer not to deal with a car that has had its best years behind it. There are no lifters in an over head cam motor, noise can be from the springs and retainers which AP1's are known to do, especially with some abuse (not a good thing).

7k for the car, about 3 to 5k to bring it back to stock total 10-12k.
$$$ in motor work is unknown.
There are good quality AP1's on the market in the 10 to 15k range.

You asked for help so this is the kind of advice you will get here in regards to that specific car..... Dont buy it

But if you cant resist, craigslist will be your best option for body parts as well as the the for sale threads here and s2ki. As for the mechanical you want to do some research and find a reputable Honda mechanic local to you, a friend of mines prefers to use beehive brand springs and retainers in the AP1 motor but a cheaper alternative would be picking up those from an AP2 motor. Good luck with the car

Last edited by kreapin; 06-29-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Hybrid Hater

Originally Posted by turbosix View Post
s2000s do not have lifters.
lol thats what I was going to say,

Anyway.... dont buy that car, unless (i guess) you got it insanely cheap.

But hey if you do save her more power to ya. That would earn you some points in my book haha.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:09 PM

Was that really the best example of an S2000 you could find in Long Island?

If your goal is to have a completely OEM car, it really will be easier and better for you-- both in the long and short terms-- to just find a car that is closer to OEM than this.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...21735633&Log=0
Old 06-29-2012, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy View Post
Was that really the best example of an S2000 you could find in Long Island?

If your goal is to have a completely OEM car, it really will be easier and better for you-- both in the long and short terms-- to just find a car that is closer to OEM than this.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...21735633&Log=0
I see your point Murph but that particular example has a terrible car fax report. Accidents reported by previous owners (a 6 owner car!) with the last owner having an airbag deployed.

Last edited by phins2rt; 06-29-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by phins2rt View Post
I see your point Murph but that particular example has a terrible car fax report. Accidents reported by previous owners (a 6 owner car!) with the last owner having an airbag deployed.
That was just one result from literally a 3 minute search -- entered location, radius, and vehicle parameters in the search and that came up first result. I'm not saying that is necessarily THE car to get; just that there are others out there. I didn't even look at craigslist.

If the guy wants to get involved in that kind of a project, so be it (it will be interesting to watch). But based on some of the questions he asked and the magnitude of the project, it sort of sounds like he is in over his head.

I guess if you are going to attempt such a thing as your first major restoration like that, may as well be on one that is R-F'd already so it's not like you can make it any worse if it all goes terribly wrong. *shrugs*
Old 06-29-2012, 09:02 PM

Well I did some more research. The car has a full OEM Veilside body kit lol, fast and furious **** but still worth money. He also has all the OEM Parts. So going back to stock will not be a problem for me . Now the Pro's and Cons:

Pro's:
-AEM CAI
-Full Invidia Exhaust
-Puck Clutch
-2 CF Hoods
-ALL OEM PARTS, Bumpers, Lights, EVERYTHING and extra stuff like axles and driveshafts etc.
-Interior is in Mint Condition

Con's:
-"Lifter problem" the retainers and clips, which I can get changed.
-Wide body rear qtr panel flares, which need to be unscrewed off, and sanded and painted
-Changing the bumpers and tails
-Removing the sideskirt
-Peeling the window tint
-Peel headlight tint

Honestly, the pro's outweigh the cons. I feel that with him having all the OEM parts and giving them to me a long with many extra parts, it will not be hard for me to accomplish my goal. All I really need to do is swap out the aftermarket parts with the oem parts. Perfect summer project in my opinion. And the engine being beaten on, worse come to worse just swap engines :shrug: Now with that said, any opinions? I really want this s2k lol
Old 06-29-2012, 09:06 PM

The car also has Koni Yellow struts, and stock springs, to throw that out there, and also a Hondata Flash Pro. Even though I will be dumping it on coilovers and eventually boosting it
Old 06-29-2012, 11:45 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Originally Posted by turbosix View Post
oh, and the puck clutch.

it's basically a race clutch. puck clutches are usually VERY grabby and hard to manage in traffic, they are usually on/off with no inbetween.
Get the Puck out of there!
Old 06-30-2012, 06:06 AM

I don't know anything about body kits. So, no comment.

I suggest that you inquire about why the car has a CR diff and a puck clutch. My guess would be that the drive train has been substantially abused. Given that possibility, I again suggest that you get a satisfactory compression and leak-down test and throw it up on an asymmetric lift where you can engage the drive train for a solid mechanical inspection.

Trying to recover an abused S2000 can be quite taxing. I'm about to spend my third day in a row working on one for a local owner.

If you will not find the effort (mental, physical and financial) too taxing, go for it. That sort of thing is not for me. I would turn on my heel in an instant and pass on it.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:08 AM
official newb

sounds like your going for it regardless of what every one has to say. It will be a project but the end result (if all goes well) will be satisfactory. The biggest negative is not the appearance but the mechanical, maybe look into a complete engine rebuild. Doing this will give your mechanic the opportunity to really go over everything and replace whatever is damaged and ensure you have a solid car to build on since your talking about boost.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by kreapin View Post
the opportunity to really go over everything and replace whatever is damaged and ensure you have a solid car to build on since your talking about boost.
Agreed. Take that opportunity and run with it.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by L8Apex View Post
I don't know anything about body kits. So, no comment.

I suggest that you inquire about why the car has a CR diff and a puck clutch. My guess would be that the drive train has been substantially abused. Given that possibility, I again suggest that you get a satisfactory compression and leak-down test and throw it up on an asymmetric lift where you can engage the drive train for a solid mechanical inspection.

Trying to recover an abused S2000 can be quite taxing. I'm about to spend my third day in a row working on one for a local owner.

If you will not find the effort (mental, physical and financial) too taxing, go for it. That sort of thing is not for me. I would turn on my heel in an instant and pass on it.
I have not seen/test drove the car yet. I will be on this coming up Saturday. So worse come to worse I will not buy it and I will dump my civic and continue working on that. I will inquire about the CR Diff and the puck clutch

Originally Posted by kreapin View Post
sounds like your going for it regardless of what every one has to say. It will be a project but the end result (if all goes well) will be satisfactory. The biggest negative is not the appearance but the mechanical, maybe look into a complete engine rebuild. Doing this will give your mechanic the opportunity to really go over everything and replace whatever is damaged and ensure you have a solid car to build on since your talking about boost.
Originally Posted by L8Apex View Post
Agreed. Take that opportunity and run with it.
I mean, I really want to but you guys really set me back and made me triple think my decision. I will take a look at it and test drive it and go over it, and check it out thoroughly. And I will take all these things into mind when I buy it, and most probably won't end up getting it.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:27 AM
official newb

Experience tells many of us to buy cars that are full stock and well maintained, cars that seem to have been owned by younger magazine jockey wannabe's usually have been ridden hard which puts a lot of use and abuse on the parts you dont see.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:32 AM

guess u didnt buy this furious ap1...
Old 07-01-2012, 09:51 AM

PakiSwag, your Civic is very clean and well done!

Anyways, I just say this tread... did you buy that car?
Old 07-01-2012, 10:14 AM
mlc

Originally Posted by PakiSwag View Post
I have not seen/test drove the car yet. I will be on this coming up Saturday. So worse come to worse I will not buy it and I will dump my civic and continue working on that. I will inquire about the CR Diff and the puck clutch

I mean, I really want to but you guys really set me back and made me triple think my decision. I will take a look at it and test drive it and go over it, and check it out thoroughly. And I will take all these things into mind when I buy it, and most probably won't end up getting it.
The advise given, while seemingly a little harsh, was given by those with enough experience to know that you are better off waiting and getting a car that has been much better cared for rather then buying a money pit that will only give you more headaches then pleasure. Your Civic seems to be very tastefully done and I understand that you think you can undo what has been done to the car but a lot of damage can be done that you can not see. The things you describe are MAJOR warning signs to stay away no matter what the price, new motors and clutch's and rear diffs are not cheap and a PITA to have done, especially right after you just bought the car.

Please take what has been said in this thread for what it is, good, friendly, wise advice not a slam toward you personally.

Good luck.

Kevin