Won't Start after 4 month Winter sitting! - S2000 Forums

New s2000.com Member Area / Introductions Are you new to S2000.com? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
Sensitive Canadian

Won't Start after 4 month Winter sitting!

Hey Guys,
Have an 02 with 65K (miles). I've had the car for 4 years an it's given me no issues until now.
The car's been sitting in my driveway, uncovered, for the last 4 months. After charging the battery I tried to get it going yesterday. i was getting a weak crank. It seems nothing is turning except the starter wheel - which is actually slipping on the belt as it tries to get things moving.
The car was working fine when i parked it last fall. I'm tempted to Jump start it down the hill in front of my house but worried that this may cause damage if things are out of line with the timing. Any advice would be appreciated.

cheers,
Jeff
klinkston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
House of CR.

Get a new battery, and you should be fine. Next time put a battery tender on the car and read up on long term storage suggestions on here and S2KI.
Vanishing Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
normal aspiration

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinkston View Post
Hey Guys,
Have an 02 with 65K (miles). I've had the car for 4 years an it's given me no issues until now. perfect--to be expected.

The car's been sitting in my driveway, uncovered, for the last 4 months. no-no.

After charging the battery I tried to get it going yesterday. i was getting a weak crank. It seems nothing is turning except the starter wheel - which is actually slipping on the belt as it tries to get things moving. not familiar with this malfunction as described; but, i know what you mean.

The car was working fine when i parked it last fall. i'm sure.

I'm tempted to Jump start it down the hill in front of my house but worried that this may cause damage if things are out of line with the timing. the timing is nothing to worry about. worry would be if it didn't start and you couldn't get it up the hill and home.

Any advice would be appreciated. see below from VP, a knowledgable Texan.

cheers,
Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanishing Point View Post
Get a new battery, and you should be fine. Next time put a battery tender on the car and read up on long term storage suggestions on here and S2KI.
as they say, THIS^^.

btw, where are you livin' where winter is just gettin' over?

oh, and welcome. hang around and learn about your car.

bb
bbcricketta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
Sensitive Canadian

Thanks V.P.,
I actually live in Nova Scotia Canada. And I am negligent in not taking the proper winter storage precations for my S2k. I'll take it on the chin for that one!
I don't think it's the battery that is the problem as I've tried to boost it with cables a few times and the starter still slips on the belt as it tries, unsuccessfully, to get the other wheels in front of the engine moving (sorry for my lack of technical terminology). I'm glad to hear that you don't think I could damage anything by popping the clutch down the hill in front of my house. If I do get stuck at the bottom I guess it's time to use my AAA (CAA here) card.

PS - I have an aftermarket hood with vents - and I'm thinking that maybe a lot of water or moisture may have seized things up a bit over the winter as the car was parked on a little bit of an incline.

Cheers,
K
Old 05-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
normal aspiration

Quote:
Thanks V.P.,
I actually live in Nova Scotia Canada. And I am negligent in not taking the proper winter storage precations for my S2k. I'll take it on the chin for that one!
I don't think it's the battery that is the problem as I've tried to boost it with cables a few times and the starter still slips on the belt as it tries, unsuccessfully, to get the other wheels in front of the engine moving (sorry for my lack of technical terminology). I'm glad to hear that you don't think I could damage anything by popping the clutch down the hill in front of my house. If I do get stuck at the bottom I guess it's time to use my AAA (CAA here) card.

PS - I have an aftermarket hood with vents - and I'm thinking that maybe a lot of water or moisture may have seized things up a bit over the winter as the car was parked on a little bit of an incline.

Cheers,
K
still not exactly sure what you mean in the emboldened script. maybe you are not getting a good connection from the secondary battery? is the engine turning over?

i'm thinking that you are describing the starter dragging and the engine not turning over. make sure that you have a good connection between the batteries.

if you decide to try a rolling start down hill, make sure the key is on, 2nd gear is selected, and be aware that the brakes and steering will be hard to use. try to start it at 8-10 mph.

if you have oil in the crankcase, transmission and differential, coolant in the radiator, and air in the tires, everything should be ok to roll start it.

if you get stuck at the bottom of the hill, get caa to tow you to a good mechanic.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #6

sounds like the bendix on the starter isn't coming out.

instead of holding the starter button, I'd give it several short hits in quick succession.....might free it up.

maybe pop starting it, and letting it warm all the way up , and then retrying it wouldn't be a bad idea either.

jagg
jagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagg View Post
... I'd give it several short hits in quick succession.....might free it up.

Jagg finds this works well with the wimmen-folk too.

Next you're gonna tell him to take a "persuader" to the starter motor and whack on it once or twice while someone else is attempting to start the car. (I jest, but in fact this worked on an older starter for me... long time ago, just did it to get me to the shop, not a recommended "fix" at all.)
RMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #8
normal aspiration

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMurphy View Post

Next you're gonna tell him to take a "persuader" to the starter motor and whack on it once or twice while someone else is attempting to start the car. (I jest, but in fact this worked on an older starter for me... long time ago, just did it to get me to the shop, not a recommended "fix" at all.)
just tap it. it is good advice. worked on my truck a couple of winters ago in the biting cold. got someone else to climb under while i worked the key. this could temporarily solve his problem. i had to have a new starter. hard to diagnose from so far away. internet help is great but nothing beats having a knowledgeable someone on the scene.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #9
Sensitive Canadian

Thanks for the tips guys.I think you've given me some perspective on the problem. I'll be putting all your advice to the test tomorrow when i get home from work and hopefully can get the car going. I'll keep you updated. Look forward to learning more about my s2k.

Cheers,

Jeff
Old 05-08-2012, 01:12 AM   #10
Senior Member, Literally

It's a bit confusing but he mentioned the belt slipping and the wheels
on the front of the engine not going around. With the moisture involved
it sounds like the pulleys may be frozen and the belt bad. That would place an extra strain on the starter.
philiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #11

Quote:

I Heart Murphy.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #12
Sensitive Canadian

still a driveway ornament

My s2k is still motionless. (3rd attempt at this post - keeps kicking me out)
I didn't jump start it as I wanted to try the other suggestions you guys came up with first. The quick consecutive starting attempts didn't bare any rumbling fruit unfortunately. I was just about to give my buddy a call to come over and help me, with one of us starting and the other banging on the starter as suggested. I then realized, I'll humbly admit, that i didn't know where it, the starter, freakin was! A little research tells me it should be under the alternator but I really couldn't tag it. If anyone has some picks or some fool proof directions it would be appreciated. Also, given it's concealment, what should I tap it with?
I'm confident the battery has lots of juice as it's been on a charge for 5 days now and all the lights seem bright. Also, not sure if it's important but the bottom left pulley is the only one that turns, slipping on the belt, as the starter weakly cranks.
Cheers,
Jeff
Old 05-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #13
Senior Member, Literally

First, you need to free up the pulleys. Second, Putting the battery on the charger doesn't insure it will take a full charge. If it has been sitting for months, the plates can get sulfated. A coating builds up and it won't take a charge. Leaving it on the charger for 5 days can cause it to boil off acid unless it was on a trickle charge. To de-sulfate it you need a special charger with that feature.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:08 AM   #14

Phil is correct.

Do you know how to take the serpentine belt off ?
Old 05-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #15
Sensitive Canadian

One of the pullies, top one i think, seems to provide tension to the belt so I think i could manage to get it off by torquing that pully and then taking it off. Yes the battery has been on a 2amp trickle charge.

cheers,
Jeff
Old 05-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #16
House of CR.

Do you have access to a battery tester? Test the battery with and without a load, I bet under load it falls into the weak/dead area. Or turn your headlights on and then try turning the car over with someone watching the headlights. I imagine they dim significantly.
Vanishing Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #17
Sensitive Canadian

Solved!!!

Success!!! Just got it going- I'm a happy camper! I want to thank everybody for their help. I have to say I've learned a lot over that last few days about this car that I've enjoyed so much, problem free, over the last 4 years. I even found a 'secret compartment' that I didn't know was there until I started researching the car on this site.
I'm going to let you, if interested, my new found s2k brethren, guess what the problem was. Some clues - was not the battery or starter and the possibility of the issue was not mentioned above. another clue - the issue was resolved or sorted once I took Jagg's advice re: the serpentine belt.
Thanks again everyone,
Jeff
Old 05-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #18
normal aspiration

already done been guessin'. i'm through with that.

i'm bettin' you can't explain it to us: "It seems nothing is turning except the starter wheel - which is actually slipping on the belt as it tries to get things moving." why don't you give it a try and see if we believes you?

"(sorry for my lack of technical terminology)"

bb
Old 05-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #19
Sensitive Canadian

Owch!

I think i just felt the whack of a deep south 'persuader'............................

I notice that you use plain, simple language, short words and brief sentences. That is the way to write English - it is the modern way and the best way. Stick to it; don't let fluff and flowers and verbosity creep in.

Mark Twain

I took the advice of another southerner while trying to describe my difficulties despite my 'lack of technical terminology'......and i thought success when i saw" not familiar with this malfunction as described; but, i know what you mean."

cheers,
Jeff
Old 05-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #20

Argh! LOL! Just tell us what was wrong. I don't want to speak for BB, but I suspicion that making him think too hard will use up his quota of "think units" for the month, and it's only the 10th.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #21
normal aspiration

i am suffering slings and arrow from canada and california. thank you for taking up for me rose, but what is the purpose of your wanton attack? i have thunk long and hard on our new guest's starting problem and i still have plenty of, er, "think units" in reserve. it is only the 10th though. at the moment i only want to know what the problem was as it seems he had quite a poser. if the situation has been resolved, i am truly through with guessing.

and, you, our new nova scotian friend: have you come to a solution as to the issue of the non-starting S2000? have you learned some new terminology? are you now, perhaps, ready to explain what went wrong and how it came to an internal combusting conclusion? was your johnson rod slipping, did the muffler bearings seize up, had the blinker fluid run out?

"not familiar with this malfunction as described; but, i know what you mean."

in re to the above quote, apparently i only thought that i knew what you meant. forgive me for being so crass.

i am hoping that all is fixed, your S is running, and you are making plenty of rpm. please do tell us about it.

yours truly from the deep, deep, deep south,

bb

you do understand that the deep south persuader is all in fun? i have found that canadians can be a bit sensitive. every time i say "eh" to one, i get a look of scornful disdain.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post
thank you for taking up for me rose, but what is the purpose of your wanton attack?
I have attacked no wontons. I like wontons. Wontons in all their various forms are yummy.

Dammit man! Now you are making me hungry.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #23
EYECELLEM

I prefer a centless attack myself

Glenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #24
Sensitive Canadian

Really, I am greatful for your advice and the efforts you took to share it with me bb. I'm wise enough to know that I haven't earned the stripes to keep this banter going and I in no way want to appear unappreciative or disrespectful to you or anyone. You did give me the gears a bit though and I thought it was warranted.
Anyway................I have a siezed alternator.
I tried popping the clutch repeatedly while going down a fairly big hill and the rear wheels kept locking up. Then at the bottom of my subdivision's hill I was comtemplating the problem and I thought about Jagg's post re: the belt. So i took it off. Had no idea that it was so simple. All the pullies spun freely except the alternator. I then got back in and push my 'formally' faithful RED Button and smiled broadly as the engine immediatley roared to life. I found a refurbished alt here for $250. I think I'm going to give DIY a whirl this weekend. FYI - until about a week ago the extent of my mechanical experience was limited to flat tires and battery changes, so i'm looking forward to this. If anyone has any tips I'm all ears.
One concerning thing that happened........when i was driving my S back up the hill, without the serpentine belt, the temp went all the way up to the last, red, bar. I shut it off immediatley and let it cool for an hour b4 continuing the journey. Hopefully all's good. I can see some of you shaking your heads as you read this. Anyway, Thanks again everyone and hopefully I'll be able to get through this alternator swap out without too much drama! I can't wait to get that car back on the road.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 05-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #25

Quote:
First, you need to free up the pulleys.
Phil for the win!
Old 05-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #26
normal aspiration

froze up alternator...1st for me. now i see what you're sayin'. you need to drive that thing more in the wintry time.

i like 'um wonton too.

as to the gears i gave you...it was a gentle 1st and 2nd...didn't wind it up too hard or really mash the gas...you're a new guy...you got to catch a little hail...it is part of the initiation...glad you got the starting thing sorted. now go and drive. don't keep heating it up like that or you will have a warped head...if you don't already. i is shaking my head but you are prob all right.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #27

beeb make jagg laugh.

op make jagg laugh.

jagg make jagg laugh.

jagg laughs,
jagg
Old 05-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #28
Senior Member, Literally

Quote:

Phil for the win!
Some times old men get lucky! But I did pick the Kentucky Derby winner.
Probably because I've never been to a horse race and am totally ignorant
about horses.

Last edited by philiam; 05-10-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #29

I was hearing you the first time, pops......

wuz just clarifying it for the others.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #30
Sensitive Canadian

Smile KUDOS to Phil

You did nail the issue. Sorry I missed that. Wish I knew enough at the time to follow your lead. Would have saved me a few headaches.

Cheers,

And holy smokes bb I missed this before: "i have found that canadians can be a bit sensitive. every time i say "eh" to one, i get a look of scornful disdain "

LOL.......talking about fulfilling geographic stereotypes--is there something ironical here?

BB my flabber is a little gasted that you actually posted something like this.....so in keeping with your, I'm sure, astute observations of my countrymen and my reaction on here how about I'll refer to myself as the 'Sensitive Canadian'. Would that be ok with you Sir?

Jeff
Old 05-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #31
Senior Member, Literally

Quote:
I was hearing you the first time, pops......

wuz just clarifying it for the others.
Duly noted!
Old 05-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #32
Senior Member, Literally

Quote:
You did nail the issue. Sorry I missed that. Wish I knew enough at the time to follow your lead. Would have saved me a few headaches.

Cheers,

And holy smokes bb I missed this before: "i have found that canadians can be a bit sensitive. every time i say "eh" to one, i get a look of scornful disdain "

LOL.......talking about fulfilling geographic stereotypes--is there something ironical here?

BB my flabber is a little gasted that you actually posted something like this.....so in keeping with your, I'm sure, astute observations of my countrymen and my reaction on here how about I'll refer to myself as the 'Sensitive Canadian'. Would that be ok with you Sir?

Jeff
I probably knew what you meant because I was born in Winnipeg.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #33

LOL. This entire thread is so funny.

OP, don't take BB too seriously. He's the resident curmudgeonly old f**ker, but he's OUR curmudgeonly old f**ker so we love him.

Phil is our wise sage.

Java is... well, Java.

Iosh is the resident cut-up.

Doug is the required right-wing anarchist.

I'm the festidiously annoying and opinionated token female.

and I could go on and on, but you get the idea. Welcome to the forum!
Old 05-11-2012, 08:01 AM   #34
THE STIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMurphy View Post
LOL. This entire thread is so funny.

OP, don't take BB too seriously. He's the resident curmudgeonly old f**ker, but he's OUR curmudgeonly old f**ker so we love him.

Phil is our wise sage.

Java is... well, Java.

Iosh is the resident cut-up.

Doug is the required right-wing anarchist.

I'm the festidiously annoying and opinionated token female.
Switchblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #35
normal aspiration

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post
sir jeff, the sensitive canadian:

stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason. we do not make this stuff up. do understand that most americans love our nearest neighbors, our canadian brothers. you are just a tiny bit different from us. socialized medicine and all, you know. it would be boring if we were all chocolate-chip cookies, cut from the same dough and mold.

i am only funnin' you, something we used to could do before the onset of all this here political correctness. it used to be a way to test your mettle, to say, "i like you, so i'm pokin' fun at you, now you do it back." also know as ball-breaking. it was great fun in the day. it is somewhat a lost art.

as for stereotypes, i is missing 8 teeth; of the remaining 20, half are rotten black. i have hookworm, don't wear shoes, am uneducated, having dropped out in the 3rd grade, am married to my 1st cousin, who is as big as a house, have 7 chillens, at least 2 of which are retarded, am on food stamps and welfare, drive a big ol' pick 'em up truck, the tires of which are worth more than the truck itself, live on a rutted dirt road in the swamp, drink pepsi for breakfast (along with poor dental care and hygiene, the cause of my teeth decay), wear tattered overalls, abhor yankees, think the south will rise again, has a thick drawl for an accent, has never been out of the county, throw beer cans out the truck window, drive drunk, dip snuff and chew tobackky, has 8 or 9 huntin' dawgs, and fly the confederate flag over my house trailer.

the are at least two skeletal cars in the front yard (which itself is comprised of weeds and red dirt) up on cinder blocks, the rest of the yard is scattered in plastic kiddy toys, and there is a large deer statue nearby which has been decimated by gunfire from others such as i who have taken target practice as they drove by. hail no, i ain't fergittin'!

i also have 20 guns, 10,000 rounds of ammo, an' you can pry 'em from my dead, cold fingers, and don't tread on me. the babies need milk but i need beer. deer huntin? let me call in sick to the sawmill.

did i say inbred. well, let me say inbred. we feed leaded paint chips to the young 'uns. our out house is about to over flow. no plumbin'. we do use non-skid. what is non-skid, you say? well try using a hershey bar wrapper or a slick page from the sears, roebuck catalog and you'll know what non-skid is.

whaddya say, eh?

bb
Old 05-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #36
Sensitive Canadian

Hey guys...............I agree this is a pretty crazy, and funny, post. you all sound like quite the crew, especially you bb - especially you . Gotta say it's even worse than any stereotype i could have imagined. And damn funny! well done!
I want to say thanks for the 'welcome aboard' and in reality i did enjoy the banter or 'ball breaking' and getting to know some of the different personalities on here. You do seem like a tight knit hobbiest (S2K) crew and i look forward to getting to know you better and also some more of you through the common interest in this cool car that we all love and appreciate. And Phil, my fellow canuck, i hope you're going to be there to help me get some of my car points across to these folks from time to time.
Cheers 'eh',
Jeff