New s2000.com Member Area / Introductions Are you new to S2000.com? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

new guy in Central IL

Old 12-06-2006, 09:19 AM

new guy in Central IL

Hi everybody. Been lurking on the forums a while and really enjoying everybody's comments. I am a new S2k owner (my 2002) and am thinking of starting on modifications. Two of my best friends are very experienced, one has a DSM 1st gen eclipse and an Evo, the other has a MR2.

I have never modified a car before, and I am not that mechanically experienced ... i can change tires, fluids, brakes, and thats about it. I look forward to hearing from others and taking in all the advice!
Old 12-06-2006, 10:27 AM
"Enjoy the drive"

Welcome to the site and congrats on the car. There are many mods that you can do to an S, but few that will show any big improvements.

Intake, header, and exhaust will make some sound changes and get a couple/few HP, but not much. Suspension changes can lower the car, but if done wrong can upset the balance of the vehicle.

Many people feel that new gears in the diff are a big improvement over stock and you canreally feel the difference. A supercharger or turbo will give you a big improvement (obviously), but can cost some serious money.

Just some food for thought.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Welcome aboard 9.
Your consideration of modifyin' your new ride isn't a new topic aroun' here. N' when the topic comes up Go n' I go to our respective corners.
So, as everybody on-site yawns in preparation for my often-repeated "seasonin'-your-food- before-you-eat-it" speech, let me say that modification, can take a sweet handlin' ride into nightmare territory.
Stock, the car is very capable. Modified, it's possible that you might be able to improve on it's performance/handlin', but it's more likely that you may just take away from it's abilities.
At the very least, drive the car stock long enough to let Stewie show you what it can do in that form. If you spend the time to master what Stewie has to offer you'll find that unlike an Eclipse, an EVO r' n' MR2, Stewie's quite capable in stock form n' doesn't require the spendin' of more dough on unnecessary stuff that serves more use bench-racin' than it does on the road.
Be well.
Java
Old 12-07-2006, 07:11 AM

Java Junky and GoMarlins, thanks for the welcome and the advice. Im definately not sold on doing any modifications for a variety of reasons ... I agree that stock it is a great ride. The handling and power seem to be very well balanced and frankly, its the fastest car i've owned so far. I don't ever plan on racing it either at the track or on the street, so if I do choose to make any modifications, It will be more for my own personal pleasure.

Im probably more interested in "comfort" modifications than speed mods. things like speakers in the seats, an on-board computer, etc. really have me intrigued. Of course, going really, really fast is fun, but I tend to be more of a 'bells and whistles' type of guy.

Thanks again for the welcome and I am very excited to continue learning from everybody here!

R