New s2000.com Member Area / Introductions Are you new to S2000.com? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New to S2K's, not new to cars! Have some quesitons, though!

Old 11-25-2011, 10:05 PM
Damon Choy

New to S2K's, not new to cars! Have some quesitons, though!

Hi, as you obviously know, I'm new here!

I'm a very active member on NASIOC with nearly 2000 posts since April of this year and have so far been hoping to own a Subaru WRX within the next few years.

However, S2000's have always sparked a certain interest of mine. I've always been curious about them. So, I've joined these forums in hopes of getting to know S2K's a little bit better!

The main question that I'd like answered is what is the "normal" (power) upgrade path of the average S2K owner? Also, what is the average cost of those upgrades? What I mean is, with Subarus, the first step is often a turboback exhaust + tune. This will cost you somewhere between $1000 and $2000. Then, you might get a bigger intercooler, an intake and some other doo-das. The cost of this varies greatly. After that, a turbo upgrade along with bigger injectors, a larger fuel pump and some other things are what people seem to do quite often. The cost of this also varies. What happens with S2K's? Please do keep in mind that I am talking about power upgrades, not suspension, wheel and other upgrades just yet. One step at a time.

Anyway, if it's not as simple as I may think it is (because I am used to the simple upgrade path of Subarus and the S2K upgrade path might be more complicated), you don't have to post it here. I would, however, appreciate if you could give me a link to some text I should read! That's how I learn best about cars! As an example, for Subarus, any and every upgrade is explained in great detail here.

Finally, thanks in advance for your answers, and I look forward to becoming a part of the community!

- Damon Choy
Old 11-25-2011, 10:24 PM
EYECELLEM

Power upgrades to the S are not easy or cheap. We tend to think that Honda got the S correct straight out of the box.

Having said that, FI is the only way to get meaningful power gains. Intakes/exhausts don't make a noticeable difference to what is already a highly tuned engine.

But, my question to you is why would you even consider upgrading the power before getting one. Have you even driven the S yet? Most driver's can't drive this car to it's full potential. Drive one first, then consider if it's the right car for you and go from there.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:01 PM
Damon Choy

Thank you for your answer, that's kind of what I was expecting. I understand that forced induction is rather expensive to do, let alone properly, on an S2K. So, if I get one, I probably wont' be doing anything more than an exhaust (for sound) and maybe an intake.

As for why I was asking, I was just curious. I haven't driven one yet, in fact, I'm only fourteen.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:04 PM

You're going to find that s2ki.com is a better place to hang out if you want to get more power out of a S2000. Most people on this site like the S2000 in stock form. I'm sort of inbetween myself. I don't feel a need to improve the S2000 because it's lacking in performance....but I just can't leave much alone. It's an illness. But I'm not into 'major' mods either. So like I said, I'm sort of inbetween groups. I like the S2000 just the way it came from Honda but I can also respect a well put together 'performance' package. I hang out here because the group is cool.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:17 PM
Damon Choy

I'll sign up and introduce myself over there too. Thanks for the advice!

And it's okay, you're not alone, catching the mod "bug" is pretty much inevitable for most.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by damonchoy View Post
And it's okay, you're not alone, catching the mod "bug" is pretty much inevitable for most.
It's not so much a 'mod' bug...I just can't leave anything alone. It drives my wife nuts! I just love to tinker with stuff. But my car is still pretty subtle. No wings, turbos, giant wheels, etc.

Last edited by Silverstone_Ryan; 11-26-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Damon Choy

Originally Posted by Silverstone_Ryan View Post
It's not so much a 'mod' bug...I just can't leave anything alone. It drives my wife nuts! I just love to tinker with stuff. But my car is still pretty subtle. No wings, turbos, giant wheels, etc.
They just don't understand.

And that's good, I prefer subtle cars. Attention is something you don't want when you have a (relatively) fast car.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:41 PM
EYECELLEM

Originally Posted by damonchoy View Post
They just don't understand.

And that's good, I prefer subtle cars. Attention is something you don't want when you have a (relatively) fast car.
Young damon, don't tell me you have a wife at 14!!