New s2000.com Member Area / Introductions Are you new to S2000.com? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New here, seems pretty cool

Old 11-18-2011, 07:05 PM

New here, seems pretty cool

I'm Kyle, and I'm about to be in the market for a s2k. I'll probably be getting one at the beginning of the year.
I am from a little town in Georgia called Taylorsville.
If you guys don't mind, will you let me no the things I need to no about these cars. I think I want a ap2, but which is a better car? I know some of the differences in the engines from the ap1(f20) and the ap2(f22) and some of the suspension things I've read but what is the better car?
Also, if you don't mind can you guys tell me how the insurance is on the cars? This will be my first car, at the age of 15. And I'll be on my parents plan when I turn 16.
Thanks for reading!
Old 11-18-2011, 09:16 PM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Please don't buy a S2000. Buy a Civic and play with that. Learn to drive that before you even think about a S2k. I'm not trying to scare you but the S2000 is not the kind of car to turn a neophyte loose in. The car demands driving experience and that's something you can't fake. Start with something that doesn't require total concentration first. You (and your parents) will be much happier.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:16 PM
EYECELLEM

At the age of 15, study the S, but buy a Civic. As Ken said, this is not a first car for a new driver. Be safe.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:15 PM

Hi Kyle,

I got my S 4 months ago. I'm currently 18 so I guess I can relate to you a little. My first car was a 1998 Ford F-150. Honestly, I think if I had the S when I first learned to drive,
I'd have wrecked it by now. To answer your questions, the AP1 is the one with the 9,000rpm redline. It also lacks a lot of cabin features, such as a clock. It also lacks traction control. The AP2 offers a cosmetic difference, better torque distribution and a sort of traction control/stability control. Given your age, I would have to suggest the AP2, simply because it is LESS likely to lose control. As the other have said, just learn to drive first. If it means driving a junker for like 6 months, so be it. 6 months of experience is enough to calm down your desire to try all the cool **** you see on TV.

But hey, I don't know you personally, so who knows? Do some research and make an educated decision. Oh and welcome to the forums!
Old 11-19-2011, 09:11 AM

I have been driving my whole life.lol I know how to drive, yeah these things have a good bit of power, I know that. I also forgot to put in what else I'll be driving.... I already have a 1970 chevy c10 with a built 355 putting out around 500hp.
I have respect when I drive on the street though, I'm not stupid.. I almost lost a close cousin in a car crash. He was driving a rsx type s and it got away from him because he was pushing it to hard. The only Time I'll ever push this car is on the track. I do not want to waist a amazing car due to my stupidity, I know when you guys think of a 15 year old with a 240hp Honda will go around town and try showing off, but naww that is not me at all. I'd rather be a more responsible driver.
I also just don't really like civics all that much, my cousin has a em1 and he has kinda burnt me out on them. They are cool cars, but I don't no if I would really want to drive one. If anything I'd want a Integra.lol
Old 11-19-2011, 11:35 AM

i had a few teggys. gsr 's or ls v. i don't think i could drive a b18b stock. drove it around for many years just to get to my S. now having sold it i wish i would of kept one as a daily beater or when i needed cargo room.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:14 PM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
I have been driving my whole life.lol I know how to drive, yeah these things have a good bit of power, I know that. I also forgot to put in what else I'll be driving.... I already have a 1970 chevy c10 with a built 355 putting out around 500hp.
I have respect when I drive on the street though, I'm not stupid.. I almost lost a close cousin in a car crash. He was driving a rsx type s and it got away from him because he was pushing it to hard. The only Time I'll ever push this car is on the track. I do not want to waist a amazing car due to my stupidity, I know when you guys think of a 15 year old with a 240hp Honda will go around town and try showing off, but naww that is not me at all. I'd rather be a more responsible driver.
I also just don't really like civics all that much, my cousin has a em1 and he has kinda burnt me out on them. They are cool cars, but I don't no if I would really want to drive one. If anything I'd want a Integra.lol
You've been driving "your whole life"? Your whole life is about 2 weeks compared to 90% of the people here. Unless you live on a farm, you have never driven anything legally anywhere. If you're "driving on the street" you're doing so illegally. Not a great thing to be bragging about. You might have a learner's permit, in which case you're driving around with someone who should be keeping an eye on you and preventing you from doing anything silly. The more you write, the more this sounds like fiction. (You'll also note I haven't said anything about the atrocious English usage. I don't think it's fair to pick on someone so unprepared to accept the responsibility that comes with driving a vehicle that, in the wrong hands, is more dangerous than a loaded gun).
Old 11-19-2011, 01:26 PM

I have lived on a farm my whole life actually... I've always been driving something since I was three.. I've drove a ford f350 with a goose neck trailer behind it quite a few times. Now that is a handful. I'm really not bragging about a thing man.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:46 PM
Resident Vigilante

Originally Posted by kgf3076 View Post
You've been driving "your whole life"? Your whole life is about 2 weeks compared to 90% of the people here. Unless you live on a farm, you have never driven anything legally anywhere. If you're "driving on the street" you're doing so illegally. Not a great thing to be bragging about. You might have a learner's permit, in which case you're driving around with someone who should be keeping an eye on you and preventing you from doing anything silly. The more you write, the more this sounds like fiction. (You'll also note I haven't said anything about the atrocious English usage. I don't think it's fair to pick on someone so unprepared to accept the responsibility that comes with driving a vehicle that, in the wrong hands, is more dangerous than a loaded gun).
Sage advice kgf3076 or at the very least ... every bit as dangerous.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:39 PM

I would highly encourage you not to buy an S as a first street car. Even very experienced drivers lose control in the S. Take one for a test drive first at least, especially if you have not driven a lightweight RWD vehicle. Perhaps you should consider a mustang or some other cheaper/easier handling RWD first. In my opinion, trucks and trailers do not qualify as experience as far as the S goes.

My intention is not to discourage, but rather prepare you for a unique (and potentially dangerous) driving experience. If you do get one, have fun, but drive safely.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:29 PM

Welcome Kyle! I'm not one to discourage either, but I have to say I wouldn't recommend an S for a first car. You may be a little bit more mature and have a little more experience with driving than people your age, but the S is not a forgiving car. I'm only 25, to some of the other guys here I'm a baby, but from my experiences with this car, had I gotten one when I first started driving I would have been in trouble or worse. Of course your a different person than me and you have a different mind, but let me say from experience when the adrenaline kicks in you're gonna do things you wouldn't normally do. And with being in highschool and all I'd be willing to bet you're gonna have the itch to show off once in a while. Hell I still do every now and then. If you don't have enough experience and respect for this car she will turn around and bite the **** out of you. Whatever you get just be safe.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:37 AM
THE STIG

I agree with all the other members here. The S2000 is not a good first car for anybody.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:57 AM
Dismember

Welcome Kyle!

I say get your S and prove us all wrong!...PLEASE PLEASE, do not prove us right...

I really only say that because it seems you have half a brain and respect for the road. With that said, it only takes 3 seconds of over-aggression to make your first car your last, especially in the S. And with THAT said, I would recommend getting the AP2. While I prefer an AP1, the AP2s are known to be a lil more road friendly w/ their wider rear tires, (softer rear end?) and traction control.

I come from about 6 integras myself (all LS but one GSR.) In the eyes of parents and pple who care, they are a better first car but to each their own. You should understand that we tell you to stay away from S because WE would have killed ourselves at 15. I am no exception. If you think you can be responsible enough, go get ur S. Just be ******* safe though and keep your own word- ur car on the track.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:38 AM

I agree with Stray... nothing we say will make up your mind, so if you end up getting one just be careful and like stray said, prove us wrong.... AP1 v AP2 is a neverending debate brotha... each driver has his/her reasons to prefer one or the other. I also prefer AP1, but like it was mentioned, AP2s are a little more driver friendly what with VSA, etc.

Welcome!
Old 11-21-2011, 12:30 PM

Not all the AP2s have to traction control. I believe its the 06 on up that do. I have an 04 and mine doesn't have it. I'm pretty sure its the years when they switched to the drive by wire where they came out with the traction control too. But AP2s are a tinnie bit more forgiving because they went with a more aggressive staggered setup than the AP1s