New s2000.com Member Area / Introductions Are you new to S2000.com? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Newbie on this forum

Old 11-17-2011, 08:35 AM

Newbie on this forum

In 2009, I almost bought an S2000 but due to the cramped passenger footwell and lack of trunk space, we bought a new MINI cooper S 6spd manual convertible. It has been a relatively trouble free car and great fun to drive.

Coming from a background of owning many Hondas (but not an S2000), both cars and motorcycles, I have always been concerned about when the MINI warranty runs out and facing possible expensive repairs. Knowing Hondas as I do, I have never been concerned about this issue as they have always been reliable.

Now as I approach the 3 yr mark, I am thinking about selling my MINI and buying an S2000. Now the question: Have any of you been in a situation like this, and if so, what did you do.

I may just be paranoid on this, but MINI repairs, post-warranty, can be very expensive, e.g. $4000 for a clutch.

TIA,
Don
Old 11-17-2011, 08:37 AM
Bug Zapper

You have to take into account that your Mini has probably tanked in value, due to the very reason you are trying to get out of it. Meanwhile, the s2000 has gone out of production and prices on used models are at a premium.

The real question is, why are you ok with the cramped passenger footwell (its really not that bad) and lack of trunk space (not sure what you mean, mine has a trunk).

Last edited by Marioshi; 11-17-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:02 AM

Right now in my Area (Cincinnati) I think I could sell my MINI for what I could buy a 2006-7 S2000.

The footwell space is much larger in a MINI and that is one reason she liked it, but I think I could convince her the S2000 has enough. The trunk on a MINI is larger and it also has a back seat which will hold a large suitcase, cooler and more.

But I like Hondas; I do like the S2000, and I do expect future costs to be less.

I am just wanting to get the thoughts of any one who may have been in the same situation.

Then again, I do like the MINI and may just keep it and hope for the best...
Old 11-17-2011, 10:34 AM
THE STIG

My best advice is to bring her along for a test drive. But be warned: usually once you test drive one, you're sold!! A member on her named Charlie has a Mini. Hopefully he'll chime in soon.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:39 AM
Bug Zapper

Originally Posted by AustinS View Post
The footwell space is much larger in a MINI and that is one reason she liked it, but I think I could convince her the S2000 has enough. The trunk on a MINI is larger and it also has a back seat which will hold a large suitcase, cooler and more.
AH HA! I knew there was a lady involved. A lot of members here have gotten Minis...for their girlfriends/wives.

A mini convertible you say, I wouldnt be caught dead in one.

The s2000 is perfectly practical for 2 people, which is all it can hold. I went on my honeymoon in one, plenty of space for luggage in the trunk.
We never have trouble going grocery shopping in it, I can get a couple 50 lb bags of feed in there. It has never been a hinderance.

If you dont have another car though, you might want to sell the Mini and get something MORE pratical, not less practical. just my 2 cents.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Switchblade View Post
My best advice is to bring her along for a test drive. But be warned: usually once you test drive one, you're sold!! A member on her named Charlie has a Mini. Hopefully he'll chime in soon.
We did test drive the S2000 and she wasn't thrilled, so if I decide to switch, it will be an uphill battle. But she drives a CRV and the MINI (or S2000) is primarily mine.

Originally Posted by Marioshi View Post
AH HA! I knew there was a lady involved. A lot of members here have gotten Minis...for their girlfriends/wives.

A mini convertible you say, I wouldnt be caught dead in one.
Maybe you've never driven an "S" (turbo). It is a quick little car a surprises a lot of people...especially on roads like the Dragon. And I would only have a convertible MINI.

Last edited by AustinS; 11-17-2011 at 11:55 AM. Reason: add photos
Old 11-17-2011, 12:21 PM

I feel your pain Austin. I have no idea how my former SO put up with the passenger seat of my S like he did. I have only been in the passenger seat of an S a few times and I have to say I found it *very* cramped and uncomfortable. But some of my discomfort could be from the fact that I wasn't driving it.

I think Switch's comment about the test drive might have been to have *her* test drive it. Maybe if she's into cars she might become excited about it too. Hard to say.

Coming from Miatas, I wasn't upset at the lack of trunk space in the S. That stated, I fully agree that the space is definitely smaller than lots of other vehicles out there and makes traveling and some recreation a bit more challenging. Hell, it makes even grocery shopping challenging! But I use my DD for that (a Yaris).

Good luck!
Old 11-17-2011, 12:30 PM
Bug Zapper

Originally Posted by RMurphy View Post
I think Switch's comment about the test drive might have been to have *her* test drive it. Maybe if she's into cars she might become excited about it too. Hard to say.
+5
Old 11-17-2011, 12:39 PM
THE STIG

Yes, I meant have her drive it.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:48 PM

I have heard of mini's not being the most reliable cars in the world so getting rid of it before the warranty expires does sound like a good idea.

Doesn't sound like the S is probably the best bet for the reasons you have stated; it is a driver's car. I wouldn't want to ride shotgun in it either.

The problem is if you are looking for a convertible there really isn't a whole lot of choice for cars that are fun to drive and reliable...that's what makes the S so special. Sounds to me like an Accord V6 convertible would be ideal for you...but of course no such thing exists. Audi and BMW both make nice four-seater convertibles but neither are reliable. I suppose there is always mustang or camaro convertibles which are more roomy and have bigger trunks than the S...not a huge fan of those but there really isnt much else out there.

How about a boxster? They do have the well documented IMS issue on earlier models but perhaps the passenger seat is more roomy...the trunk (oddly) is very spacious despite being up front.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:38 PM

Repair costs be damned !

within reason, you should drive what you want to drive.

$4000 repair costs are not so very unusual in the car world.

the Honda doesn't cost all that much less to repair,
it just needs it alot less often.

I usually just bring home a car and tell my wife "this is what you drive now".......Some can be difficult the first few times, but they are trainable.

jagg