New s2000.com Member Area / Introductions Are you new to S2000.com? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New Guy, Thinking of Selling :(

Old 10-26-2011, 12:43 PM

New Guy, Thinking of Selling :(

Just wanted to quickly introduce myself since I posted my car in the classifieds.

I've been a lurker for a while, thought that I had posted before but from my post count doesn't look that way.

I have a 2003 S2000, 21,000 miles. I'm the second owner, bought it in February or so. My circumstances have changed, and I now need a car that I can drive more regularly, especially in the snow.

So, I'm left with one of two choices. Either have someone convince me that if I spend some $$$ on snow tires that an S2000 can be used to drive in the winter, or move on to something else.

Love the car, would love to figure out a way to keep it.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:52 PM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

With snow tires, you can drive in the snow. I have friends in Calgary who drive their S2000 year-round. JJ drives his all year. No reason you can't as well. RWD cars handle differently in the snow so you might want to do some practicing in a nice empty lot before you decide to take a 100 mile trip in the car in a snowfall, but with practice and patience, you should have no problem.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:57 PM

I'm in the same position regarding snow (live in IN, so there is a decent amount of snowfall). However, I'm already checking out snow wheel/tire packages...can't wait to get the S out there in some rough conditions and see what it's like
Old 10-26-2011, 10:18 PM

I drive mine all year round. I love it. It's a lot of fun. It is a bit tricky but if you know how to control it its great. I didn't have snow tires last winter(not a great idea) but I got around fine for the most part. I did get stuck a few times from a stop, but if you have good grippy snow tires or even ones with studs, you'll be fine. Like KG said, if you aren't used to driving in the snow, learn how to control it first.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:15 AM
THE STIG

Buy a cheap Subie for a winter beater!!!
Old 10-27-2011, 06:35 AM

I have plenty of experience driving in snow with a RWD. Wife has a 300C that does ok with snow tires, but obviously that is a much heavier car.

I've driven (or more accurately tried to drive) in the snow with the S once with the summer shoes once. Not pleasant. I'm surprised that putting snow tires on would make it much better. Light RWD car in the snow doesn't seem like a good combo.

I don't have room for A "winter car" at the house (or in my marriage). Wife has never liked the S and would prefer me to get rid of it anyway.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:13 AM
Bug Zapper

Originally Posted by Bionic Man View Post

I've driven (or more accurately tried to drive) in the snow with the S once with the summer shoes once. Not pleasant. I'm surprised that putting snow tires on would make it much better. Light RWD car in the snow doesn't seem like a good combo.
Seriously??? You are suprised that tires made specifically for snow would help with snow...

Summer:

Winter:

Watch this video if you need further proof. Note the use of a RWD car of similar power and weight distribution (49F/51R). Slightly heavier (3300 lbs vs 2800) but still, snow tires definitely make a HUGE difference especially in stopping and cornering.

http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index...=26&tab=winter

Last edited by Marioshi; 10-27-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:54 AM

Nice video mario.

OP: Good luck in your decision. Apparently quite a few owners here say it can be done (and are doing it) with proper winter tires. We can't help make your wife like the car though. Honestly, I can't blame her (not that I have any idea what her specific reasons are). The few times I've ever been a passenger in an S2000 I couldn't stand how cramped it was. As a driver though, it's an entirely different experience.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:14 AM

Old 10-27-2011, 10:19 AM

Oh no. now you've got me started...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd0PpK6CmqM
Old 10-27-2011, 10:28 AM

Perhaps I mis-spoke. I'm surprised that you can make a light weight sportscar a good snow car. The videos are interesting though. Maybe it's worth a try. It will be tough to sell the car during the Colorado winter anyway....
Old 10-27-2011, 10:39 AM

Buying a second car (if you have the parking space) can be a surprisingly inexpensive option. About five years ago I bought a 4wd '95 mits montero suv for $3k. My insurance bill actually went down and its been very useful to have.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:42 AM

Perhaps I mis-spoke. I'm surprised that you can make a light weight sportscar a good snow car.
I think it's probably a stretch to call an S2000 a "good snow car" even with good snow tires. But you can certainly make it very drivable. If you wanted a really good snow car you would go for 4 wheel drive and a bit of ground clearance.

Again, good luck with your decision.

And here's one just for fun because the guy is just a complete goof. I'm really hoping it's her car and not his. Get a load of his giggle at 1:12.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQYXuqaHNe8
Old 10-27-2011, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Kryptyde View Post
Buying a second car (if you have the parking space) can be a surprisingly inexpensive option. About five years ago I bought a 4wd '95 mits montero suv for $3k. My insurance bill actually went down and its been very useful to have.
Yes (totally agree), but he already said he doesn't have the space for it and, more importantly, it would **** off his wife. That there is reason enough to put the nix on that idea.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Bug Zapper

Perhaps I mis-spoke. I'm surprised that you can make a light weight sportscar a good snow car. The videos are interesting though. Maybe it's worth a try. It will be tough to sell the car during the Colorado winter anyway....
Oh no, nobody said that it would be a good snow car, but they did say it was possible. I just meant that driving your S2000 with summer tires in the snow is not a good indication of its snowability .

Summer tires arent even recommended for temps under 45 degrees let alone snow or ice.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Bio, 'hope'yuh don't mine'a reprint:

Whut kine'a winta we talkin' here? Serious, yuh-godda-be-crazy winta like Zawazeus, Daddy Zach'n Snowman?
Or we talkin' da who'[email protected]*#&-knowz kine'a snow we get here in Joisey?
When I ran Stewie t'rough'da wintaz I ran Dunlop WinterSport 3'z (available in stock AP2 sizes, check for AP1) and couldn't've been happier wit'da choice.
Obviously, 'ey don't handle in'a dry like yer summa hoopz, but when'ere'z snow on'a groun', I don't dink dere'z a bedda way'da grip.
But rememba: da bes' tirez in'a worl' ain't gonna'doo'yuh diddly when li'l Stewie'z bellied in on packed snow'n'er liddle tirez're danglin'n spinnin' in'a air.
We'kin gedd'aroun' in'a eazy stuff, but when'da snow gettz to our lower lipp, we're gonna mention itt'da somebody.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy View Post
Yes (totally agree), but he already said he doesn't have the space for it and, more importantly, it would **** off his wife. That there is reason enough to put the nix on that idea.
Damn you and your superior reading comprehension skills...i totally missed that bit.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Kryptyde View Post
Damn you and your superior reading comprehension skills...i totally missed that bit.
LOL!
Old 10-27-2011, 03:40 PM

I'm from Colorado too and like I said I drove all last winter with summer tires. I don't recommend it, it wasn't great but I did manage to get around alright. You really just need to know how to control it and be comfortable with sliding. My biggest problem was getting stuck coming from a stop, but with some good winter tires that shouldn't be much of an issue.

The other thing is that here in CO, there's really not that many days out of the year where you can't drive due to the roads being so bad. So is it really worth selling your S over not being able to drive for maybe half a dozen days or so of bad roads? I'd say get the winter tires.