New s2000.com Member Area / Introductions Are you new to S2000.com? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Love the s2k and about to pick one up I hope

Old 09-28-2011, 08:47 PM

Love the s2k and about to pick one up I hope

Now before I get all jumped on, I have already done a ton of research. I have read a lot on this forum (lurking), beyond.ca, and on s2ki.com. I am having the recalls checked, the roof was checked, electrics checked, compression is about to be checked, clutch is about to be changed, checked if brake fluid was burnt. I did forget to check clutch fluid though.
Overall I am happy with the level of research I have done. It has high km (175,000) which is about 110,000 miles. It was purchased in the US and brought into Canada. It was repainted for some reason (doesnt seem to have any claims on title) but the left half of the car is a different tinge of yellow. It runs well (minus the clutch) and pulls quite hard. The body is dinged up and the interior/roof needs some work.

I am interested in this car for two reasons:
1.) I want something that needs a bit of work. I am a garage guy and would really like to spend some time cleaning it up.
2.) The price is hard to beat. In Alberta, my neck of the woods, most S2k's still sell for between 14 and 20 grand. These are usually in really good shape. I am working with this guy on the price point of around 9 - 11 grand.

My biggest concerns are:
1.) The roof is becoming worn through.
2.) The fact it has been repainted.
3.) The high km for a high strung engine.
4.) The worn seat.
5.) The worn floor.

Now I was about to finish the deal today with something in the 8500 - 10 range (what VMR says is fair) and I figure I have to bring it up to a certain level of clean which with the interior, the roof, and the front headlight is going to run me a couple grand. Right there I am at 10,500 - 12,000. I dont think I could sell it for much more even with the repairs. He came back and said I was being too low. He wasnt going lower than 12,000. Considering even with the roof and interior repair I dont think I can get 12 I am quite worried about it.

Am I being too picky or is this guy thinking it is worth more than it is?

thanks for your help guys

Cosworth

Old 09-28-2011, 10:25 PM
EYECELLEM

Hmm....are we talking Canadian $$, what's the exchange rate, and is 12k Canadian equivalent to 12K US? You failed to mention the MY. 110K miles is not a lot for this engine, provided the previous owner(s) didn't drive the crap out of this car. The well worn interior leads me to believe the owner(s) may not have been too gentle with this car. The two different colors shades could mean it's been in an accident and repainted.

If you really want this car, have everything checked. Hold firm to your price and be ready to walk away. See how bad he wants to sell it.

Good luck.

Last edited by Glenn1; 09-28-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn1 View Post
Hmm....are we talking Canadian $$, what's the exchange rate, and is 12k Canadian equivalent to 12K US? You failed to mention the MY. 110K miles is not a lot for this engine, provided the previous owner(s) didn't drive the crap out of this car. The well worn interior leads me to believe the owner(s) may not have been too gentle with this car. The two different colors shades could mean it's been in an accident and repainted.

If you really want this car, have everything checked. Hold firm to your price and be ready to walk away. See how bad he wants to sell it.

Good luck.
Huh you are right. It is a 2001.

USD to CAD is about 1=1 but for cars we are about 10% more. So I would be getting this for roughly 9,000USD and am trying for 7500 - 8500 right now.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:45 AM

Short answer; you're not being too picky, and I think he may be a little too hopeful on the price.

You never know, he may have sunk more money into the car than it's worth which would make it his problem, not yours.

Glenn is correct. Determine what you think is a good, realistic price for the car and politely stand your ground. Don't be afraid to walk away. You do not have to buy the first car you come across in your price range.

You've done your homework, you've made the decision to buy, but now you're just shopping. Be patient, it'll pay off in the long run.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:02 AM
Dismember

Personally- I do not think you are being to picky w/ price. I would offer no more than what you have...probably walking away w/ my offer and seeing what happens.

12K CA$ is about $11,763. Will he sell it for that much? Maybe, but I would not be rushing in to pick it up:

-Paint: W/ No explanation, that would scare the hell out of me. The under-carriage should really be checked as well as allignment. Like any other Honda, these cars cannot take a hit to the suspension w/o hurting your chances of a good allignment. Aftermarket wheels makes me think that it could have taken a hit to the originals. When more than half of your car is painted w/o explanation, this should really raise a brow. (Not to mention, visually the mis-match never looks good- I can see the difference in trunk lid but that's about it. Now is your time to play detective- was a headlight replaced? Orig radiator? Repaint/overspray in enginebay? (It looks like there might be.) Any visual damage to suspension components? Etc. etc etc.

Mods- I would personally never buy a modded car. Aftermarket wheels, especially ones not as nice as original, were put on there for a reason...maybe the orginals were damaged in same accident that caused repaint. Intake and exhaust always warn me the car was probably beat on. It obviously did not have enough grunt for original owner which tells me they liked getting on it.

Condition- It needs a new top. The seats are trashed. Carpet looks beat up. This thing was not taken care of. Tops cost money and when you are selling a convertible w/ top in that condition, that should really be taken off bottom line.

I dunno man, those three things would be enough to keep me away. I know you want an S but I do not think this is a wise investment. Keep your eye open because this is the time of year to get one w/o such a premium.

Good luck, let us know what you decice.

PS- Welcome to the forums!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:27 AM

Am I being too picky or is this guy thinking it is worth more than it is?

yes.

why would anyone expect a 10+ year old ragtop sports car, designed to be beat on, to be pristine AND cheap ?

S2000 for $ 10-12k is throwaway money for any car, let alone for a roadster, with these capabilities.

jagg
Old 09-29-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by StrayS2k View Post
Personally- I do not think you are being to picky w/ price. I would offer no more than what you have...probably walking away w/ my offer and seeing what happens.

12K CA$ is about $11,763. Will he sell it for that much? Maybe, but I would not be rushing in to pick it up:

-Paint: W/ No explanation, that would scare the hell out of me. The under-carriage should really be checked as well as allignment. Like any other Honda, these cars cannot take a hit to the suspension w/o hurting your chances of a good allignment. Aftermarket wheels makes me think that it could have taken a hit to the originals. When more than half of your car is painted w/o explanation, this should really raise a brow. (Not to mention, visually the mis-match never looks good- I can see the difference in trunk lid but that's about it. Now is your time to play detective- was a headlight replaced? Orig radiator? Repaint/overspray in enginebay? (It looks like there might be.) Any visual damage to suspension components? Etc. etc etc.

Mods- I would personally never buy a modded car. Aftermarket wheels, especially ones not as nice as original, were put on there for a reason...maybe the orginals were damaged in same accident that caused repaint. Intake and exhaust always warn me the car was probably beat on. It obviously did not have enough grunt for original owner which tells me they liked getting on it.

Condition- It needs a new top. The seats are trashed. Carpet looks beat up. This thing was not taken care of. Tops cost money and when you are selling a convertible w/ top in that condition, that should really be taken off bottom line.

I dunno man, those three things would be enough to keep me away. I know you want an S but I do not think this is a wise investment. Keep your eye open because this is the time of year to get one w/o such a premium.

Good luck, let us know what you decice.

PS- Welcome to the forums!
Thanks for the help man. You are thinking exactly like I am. Just to clarify I am not rushing into this at all. We have our 4 other vehicles. I just wanted a car to clean up (was thinking of getting a 240 with SR20) or getting an old Triumph or something like that. This came up for $13000 asking and I figured it needed a bit of work. Super clean ones with 3/4 of the mileage go for 2 or 3 grand more.

I dont have a convertible. I have the wife mobile, my truck, and our bikes. I just thought a convert would be fun.

Thanks for the input. Ill let you know how it goes. If I dont get this sorted I am going to start looking for an AP2. I have never driven an S2k before and I like it a lot more than the Boxster S I was going to pick up.

Originally Posted by jagg View Post
yes.

why would anyone expect a 10+ year old ragtop sports car, designed to be beat on, to be pristine AND cheap ?

S2000 for $ 10-12k is throwaway money for any car, let alone for a roadster, with these capabilities.

jagg

I hear what you are saying but when I can get one with 1/2 to 3/4 of the Km for $1500 more I just dont see how this is my problem he wants more money.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:24 AM

my intuition says run , run far and fast. my s is a 2000 and in mint condition compared to that one, looks like its been through alot and was not maintained im also surprised the int. is so crap.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:36 AM
Bug Zapper

That car makes my 02 with 105K miles on it look pristine. What happened to those seats and carpet? that girl looks tired. I would pass and keep looking.

Also, its dirty inside. Anyone trying to get top dollar for their car at least ought to clean the carpets with some Folex or something. A guy like that surely didnt care for the mechanical parts either.

Last edited by Marioshi; 09-29-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:01 PM

I say walk. That one looks a bit sketchy.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:29 PM

prolly ust ta be terrrrboooowd !

underhood apperars to we well sorted and 99 percent original.
you need to get a photo of the underside of it.
you're a "garage guy".......you'll know what's wrong with it, aye?

what's up with the necklace over the shirt deal ?

I figure you wanna turn the car over for profit, or you already own it.
fess up.....the car's got a bad clutch, dr. seat, carpets,soft top, and has chunky fluid......

I bid $300, American.

jagg

Last edited by jagg; 09-29-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:22 PM

Its worth waiting for the right car. I searched nationwide for three months before finding mine. Worth the wait.