New s2000.com Member Area / Introductions Are you new to S2000.com? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New Guy: AP1 in New Orleans

Old 05-12-2011, 05:26 PM
who dat

New Guy: AP1 in New Orleans

Hola fellas. I just picked up an ap1 so I figured id join up to get advice, find parts etc. I previously had an rsx that was well built but it got rearended hard about 3 months ago. Once I part from a car in that manner I have to move on. I picked up a 2000 NFR Ap1. I love it so far. Its got a few miles on it (114k) , but its going strong. I plan on rehabbing some things to bring it up to speed.

So far I have ordered Ap2 retainers and keepers and new hardtop strikers. THe car already has a new updated glass window top. I plan on going over the suspension when I have some time and generally replacing bushings, maybe endlinks. I have to check it out on a lift, but there is definitely some squeekyness and what not from under there. I popped on my works cr kais from my rsx (which originally came from an s2000). They are 18x8.5 +43 rear and 18x8 +42 front. I am running 245/40/18 all around which I have found out is probably to tall a series as I rub a slight bit on the driver rear with my big *** in the car. I might end up just giving the lips a mild roll because although these wheels really are to big for the car, I love the way they look.

Anyway, any other advice of what I should be looking out for with a car with this many miles?

One question...the car just had an exedy oem type clutch put in. Anyway, sometimes when I push the clutch in I get a pretty violent shake through the shifter but only just after the clutch has been pushed all the way in. Is that just drive train shock on these cars? Normal ****? Other than a lot of chatter and noise from the tranny, which i hear is common on the ap1, it shifts fine.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:17 PM
who dat

So right after I typed this post I was leaving to go check out a new hotdog place down the road from my house. I put the top down and am pulling out of the driveway when this giant albino *** spider runs across the dash. I swipe and smack it but it just flies over onto the passenger seat belt, then falls down under the seat. This thing was no **** 2 inches across. I was driving the whole time looking down at the passenger seat. My damn new ride is under attack by a giant mutant spider. WTF. hahahahahahah
Old 05-12-2011, 06:35 PM
mlc

Welcome.

The wheels aren't to big for the car but they don't have enough offset. The OEM wheels are a +65 in the rear. Here is a good wheel and tire fitment guide http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/3427...fitment-guide/

Kevin
Old 05-12-2011, 06:41 PM

Welcome.... congrats on the buy
Old 05-12-2011, 06:47 PM

Sounds like you have a making for a new sci-fi thriller: "Mutant Spiders from Space!"

Welcome, and good luck getting that arachnid !!!
Old 05-12-2011, 06:51 PM
Party Rock Crew

Welcome! I have a spider in mine too, how weird.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:09 PM
The Cheeziest!

Welcome to the addiction. Where 'bouts Na'wlins do you hail? I live on the westbank in Marrero.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:14 PM
who dat

I live uptown in broadmoor are.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:22 PM
The Cheeziest!

Cool, hit us all up here as well: http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/forum/106-...-s2000-owners/
Old 05-13-2011, 05:32 AM
THE STIG

Congrats and welcome! I would change out the oil, trans fluid and diff fluid. Specs and capacity should be easy to find here using the search button. Have you found the secret compartment yet?

Oh, and here's a pic for you!!
Old 05-13-2011, 05:41 AM
who dat

Hahah actually the spider did look like that. I think it was an orbweaver. Haha.

I need to change the oil. It just had a new clutch so the tranny fluid was changed. Might need to check the diff fluid.

What secret comparment? The one behind the little glove box?
Old 05-13-2011, 05:54 AM
Dismember

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new ride, she looks great! Sounds like you have some projects in front of you. I have 00 AP1 as well (ODO=101K) and no chatter from transmission neither any violent shake thru shifter. GL w/ and keep us up to date w/ that issue.

Switchblade- that was really unnecessary man lol
Old 05-13-2011, 06:03 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by StrayS2k View Post
Switchblade- that was really unnecessary man lol
Sorry, had to.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:43 AM
who dat

Yeah well I hate spiders and all, but this spider picked the wrong car to live in.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:49 AM
who dat

As far as the trans shake. I have read that some amount of this is normal. I am known to blow **** out of proportion, but I know for a fact the weird shake when I press the clutch in is there. Here are some things I am suspect of.

Improperly balanced flywheel after resurface
Clutch MC or slave going bad and not disengaging properly
Driveshaft not balanced for some reason (do they have rubber bushings at the attachment point? That could be it)
Bad trans or motor mount.

I need to get the car on the lift and check it out for sure.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:17 AM
Bug Zapper

Does the noise go away when you push the clutch in?

My 02 makes noise but I would call it a gentle whirring noise when the clutch is out at a stand still (I assume it doesnt go away while I am moving but I sure as hell can hear it over the engine noise).

Havent heard anything about AP1 transmissions "chatter".
Old 05-13-2011, 08:23 AM
who dat

Well the clutch is new which is partly the reason for some of the chatter, just because it hasnt lapped in good yet. I have read that the springs in the ap1 clutch were designed poorly and have a tendency to chatter. It makes some noise, but thats not bad. This shaking is different though.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:28 AM
THE STIG

My AP1 suffers from the notorious clutch buzz. Common with AP1s.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:19 PM
who dat

Put it on the lift today. Everything I could find was solid accept for the out tie rod ends which will need to be replaced soon. No problems with the engine mounts, axles, anything really. Everything looked to be stock and in good order. I silicones all the bushings, and changed the oil.

I ordered a valve cover gasket set to throw on when I do the Ap2 retainers in a couple of weeks. I gotta call honda and get the tie rod ends and Ill probably get some diff fluid then too. Im just glad I didnt come across any surprises when I got it in the air.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:18 AM
who dat

Installed some new hard top strikers this morning. Wind noise is nil and I finally got to take the ghetto *** electrical tape off of the hooks. Yesterday I spend four or five hours compounding and waxing. The red on the hood and decklid looked terrible. All hazed up and whitish. Well I got a cheap turtle wax random orbital and some light cut compound. A few passes with that woke that paint right up. Then I hit it withsome tech-wax. At this point the front bumper is beyond saving. Probably will get an ap2 bumper and just have it painted.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:25 AM
THE STIG

Looks good!!