Java's Just Drivin' A place to talk about the joys of driving the S2000

If you have not checked in a while.......

Old 01-11-2016, 03:36 PM

If you have not checked in a while.......

This Wednesday the wife and I plan to run up to the Melbourne to have dinner with some friends and since the S has not had a good run in a while we will take it. Decided to check tire pressure and while I was doing it realized I had never checked the spare...ever. Pulled it out and the tire pressure was .....5psi. I also think it has never been out of the trunk before and may never have been checked since the car was built. So, if you have not checked your spare in an while, or ever, might be a good idea.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:28 PM
Got S2000?

Certainly a good point. I check mine maybe once a year, and I'm probably due....thanks for the remind. It's not the easiest thing to do, but if you're not going to do it, why even bother carrying around the extra weight, right?

While I'm back there, I definitely need to fix that buzz from the fuel pump access plate.
It's only been bothering me for about 6 years...
Old 01-11-2016, 11:26 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

I try to check the spares at least once a year or before a longer trip. The few times I have had to use a spare, I have not enjoyed having it on. Not just the S. I did have the rear S tire fail and had to do the swap out with the front tire as well as juggle truck stuff; I was glad I had a rack to put the flat on.

Anyway, I came across this from some motorcycle folks and wound up getting the pump as well as the flat tire plug gun kit. Very impressed with the quality. Compact and lightweight. I have not yet used it on a flat but I feel pretty good about repairing the tire without pulling it from the car. If it is beyond repair then I will use the spare again.

For those in California, this website also has great roads for the S (motorcycle ).

http://www.pashnit.com/product/cyclepump.html
Old 01-12-2016, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller View Post
I try to check the spares at least once a year or before a longer trip. The few times I have had to use a spare, I have not enjoyed having it on. Not just the S. I did have the rear S tire fail and had to do the swap out with the front tire as well as juggle truck stuff; I was glad I had a rack to put the flat on.

Anyway, I came across this from some motorcycle folks and wound up getting the pump as well as the flat tire plug gun kit. Very impressed with the quality. Compact and lightweight. I have not yet used it on a flat but I feel pretty good about repairing the tire without pulling it from the car. If it is beyond repair then I will use the spare again.

For those in California, this website also has great roads for the S (motorcycle ).

When the wife and I toured on our big bike we pulled a small trailer with it and what we carried the most of was emergency tire repair stuff. The Royal Star Venture we had weighed 980 lbs and I lived in fear of a flat in the middle of nowhere. Had the plug kit, a manual and battery powered air pump, a small jack, a custom designed mount that bolted to the bottom of the frame, and then two small jackstands. Luckily I never had to use any of it. We did a nearly 8000 mile trip one summer starting with new tires and the rear was finished by the time we got back.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller View Post

Nice find cosmo!
Old 01-15-2016, 04:10 PM
Never Slow down

Hey guys, I'm off to Mexico for a well deserved vacation tomorrow! Stevie is tucked by tight in the garage and I'm hoping that when I get back it will be top down time.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:44 PM

Be safe Wayne, drink the tequila, not the water.........
Old 01-18-2016, 01:10 PM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by cdk456 View Post
Be safe Wayne, drink the tequila, not the water.........

+1!!
Old 01-19-2016, 09:58 AM

I have the emergency phone number for AAA in my cell phone's memory.

Accordingly, the spare tire is stored in my cellar and replaced by a small tool kit, a car cover and an insulated beer bag. I use all of them far more than I've ever used the spare tire (like, never) over my 16 years of ownership.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:42 PM
Got S2000?

I've often thought about taking the spare out, just to save a few pounds of pointless weight. But the day I do, you know what will happen.

So, it stays...I figure it helps balance the car left-to-right.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:08 AM

Its been a while since I last visited here. Gonna plan some long trips on better weather, good tip on spare tire.