Java's Just Drivin' A place to talk about the joys of driving the S2000

Road Trip

Old 04-26-2014, 06:49 PM

Road Trip

Today I did a 330 mile day trip with Stewie. I drove from Vero Beach to a CBX motorcycle meet in the small town of Dunnellon which is about 40 miles north of Tampa. About 140 miles each way was on an Interstate style turnpike so 70mph constant cruise. Just the first half of the trip gave me more top up travel that I have put on the car since I got it 18 months ago. The car performed flawlessly as you would expect from a Honda but I have to say it SUCKS as a road car. Like Cosmo mentioned in an earlier post it is damn loud and droning with the top up. The tire and exhaust noise completely overwhelms the stereo and your sanity after about 100 miles. I can see why Cosmo is adding the insulation to his 07. Just wish I could have taken my hearing test that I have scheduled for when I climbed out of the car, they would have judged me to be stone deaf.

I love it for short trips but I will take the truck from now on for the longer day trips.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:40 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Originally Posted by cdk456 View Post
Today I did a 330 mile day trip with Stewie. I can see why Cosmo is adding the insulation to his 07.
I love it for short trips but I will take the truck from now on for the longer day trips.
I just wrapped up 2600 miles in my ( 09!) from Sacramento, Santa Rosa, Oregon Coast, Olympic Peninsula, Seattle, Columbia River and Cascades. I have yet to do the post and load pics. I can say there was an improvement from the trunk insulation. That is all I got done before the trip. I have now finished under and behind both seats and just started the doors. I can't really drive it as the tires are really shot (down to the cord) with the spare on the front. I am waiting for Pilots to go on sale next week at Costco. I have a 9 day trip Wednesday so it will be a few weeks.

My DD is a 94 TBird and every time I climb in I am blown away how absolutely quite that beast is. Its like I have entered a sound chamber. It is more quiet than my 04 MDX. There is very little insulation in the S. Stay tuned!
Old 04-27-2014, 05:14 AM

Cos I could not understand your reasoning until yesterday, now I COMPLETELY understand. My daily driver is an ultra low mileage (sub 10K) 2003 base model Nissan Frontier and it like an S class Mercedes compared to Stewie.
Honestly I am not sure I could do a 2600 mile trip in it with the wife without then going thru a divorce. We had planned to drive up to the Carolina's this summer and run the "Dragon" but there is no way I would even consider it now.
Keep us posted on the insulation.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:04 AM
Blue Barchetta

Every time I think about upgrading the head unit I remind myself that I never use the one that's already installed. It's a loud car for sure, but I've done a 13 hour road trip with it. Call me crazy but I love it. And the trip didn't even entail a divorce
Old 04-27-2014, 01:38 PM

Okay Fuzzy--------------------you're crazy, LOL
Old 04-27-2014, 02:35 PM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Cos I could not understand your reasoning until yesterday, now I COMPLETELY understand. My daily driver is an ultra low mileage (sub 10K) 2003 base model Nissan Frontier and it like an S class Mercedes compared to Stewie.
Honestly I am not sure I could do a 2600 mile trip in it with the wife without then going thru a divorce. We had planned to drive up to the Carolina's this summer and run the "Dragon" but there is no way I would even consider it now.
Keep us posted on the insulation.
Just put the top down and come on up. After the wind noise, she'll be absolute ecstatic over how quiet it is with the top up.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by FuzzyRuttin View Post
Call me crazy but I love it.
That makes two of us.

I'm getting ready to make my first of three trips of 3,000 miles each in mid-May. The anticipation is just bubbling through my system. First trip I'll do the Allegehny, Catskills, Balsams and Berkshires to the east coast and back to Chicago. Then it's off to Savana, GA and back.

Last edited by L8Apex; 04-27-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:40 PM

Think my buddy had the best idea: trailer Stewie up to the Dragon behind the Frontier.

Hey KGF what July like up there??
Old 04-27-2014, 10:42 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

I will add that taking the interstate sucks. I took the extra effort ( thanks to AAA and real paper maps-also CityMaps2go Pro app for my iPad) to find interesting 2 lane roads to the destination. Much more fun, much more interesting, and much more quiet that way than listening to an 18 wheeler next to you top up or down.

Last fall I drove 2 hours down 80 from Truckee to home top down. Beautiful day but heavy end of the weekend traffic. I went top down but I tried soft earplugs (we use a ton of them at work-free) and it really made the ride enjoyable. Felt like I was in my own little world but I could still hear essential sounds easily.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:03 AM
normal aspiration

not to jump kg's response, but having lived in the deep south sort of near Fontana all of my life...it will be very hot and humid with a chance of a thunderstorms in the afternoon. the weather may be perfectly beautiful. nights may have a bit of a chill to them. there will be plenty of top down weather. insect repellant is a must, as is sunscreen. the mountains will be in their full glory cloaked in green. some places will be jammed on the weekend but during the week you should have it almost to yourself and less of a chance of an encounter with the fuzz.

Originally Posted by cosmomiller View Post
I will add that taking the interstate sucks.
interstate is not my favorite way to travel but sometimes it is best. the S2000 is fine on the interstate. hail, it is fun to drive anytime, but like you say, 2-lanes is best and twisty roads are even better. you get great mileage.

i like a land yacht for long distance travel and the Eisenhower Highway System. i do find driving the S for long periods tiring.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:25 AM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post
interstate is not my favorite way to travel but sometimes it is best. the S2000 is fine on the interstate. hail, it is fun to drive anytime, but like you say, 2-lanes is best and twisty roads are even better. you get great mileage.

i like a land yacht for long distance travel and the Eisenhower Highway System. i do find driving the S for long periods tiring.
My wife's 04 MDX is very comfortable for distance driving and my son's 07 Accord is really nice too. It gets about 37 mpg. My 94 TBird with a 4.6L V-8 gets about 27 on the freeway (go figure) and is a pretty nice road car.
I think the best yacht I have driven was our 64 Lincoln Continental which we did the Coronado/Zephyr Hills FL a number of time. What a boat!
Old 04-28-2014, 07:43 AM
normal aspiration

forgot to mention that it is hurricane season. the mountains will never be hit directly by a tropical cyclone but they are correctly positioned for some heavy rain from the aftermath. just thought i would mention it as it could bum things out. chances are very good that this will not happen, but one never knows.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:50 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Think my buddy had the best idea: trailer Stewie up to the Dragon behind the Frontier.

If you mean at the Dragon, it's hot and humid but bearable. The mountains keep it liveable. Come in September when the weather is ideal.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:52 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Have you been to the Dragon before? Asking because of the trailer. Can get tricky depending on length of the trailer.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:59 AM

Sadly back to teaching by September. Heading out Cosmo's way in June for 10 days, out to Edwards AFB so if we come up it will be in mid July. probably would do what Cos mentioned, stay the heck off 95 and take the scenic byways. I have to admit the area around Dunnellon was nice, lots of good curvy roads. More curves in a two mile stretch I was on that in the entire county I live in.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:12 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Sadly back to teaching by September. Heading out Cosmo's way in June for 10 days, out to Edwards AFB so if we come up it will be in mid July. probably would do what Cos mentioned, stay the heck off 95 and take the scenic byways. I have to admit the area around Dunnellon was nice, lots of good curvy roads. More curves in a two mile stretch I was on that in the entire county I live in.
Let me know before you come so I can get in touch with Fontana and get you the DFR rate. I can send you some suggestions on roads to drive on your way to the Dragon as well.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:33 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Heading out Cosmo's way in June for 10 days, out to Edwards AFB so if we come up it will be in mid July. probably would do what Cos mentioned, stay the heck off 95 and take the scenic byways.
Let me know your plans and if I can throw out a suggestion or two, I would be happy to try. Did a lot of flying in Edward's airspace-I was based in Lemoore and China Lake was our usual divert field back and forth to Fallon.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:20 PM

Will do KGF, appreciate it.

Cos we are flying into LAX on the 16th of June and will fly out on the redeye to Orlando on the 26th. Don is on the staff of the test Pilot School as an engineer but starting on July 7th he will give up his office to become a student there and go thru the course as a flight test engineer for a year. He has managed to log nearly 300hrs of T38 and F16 time in the couple years as a back seater and the pilots all like him so much that he has had lots of stick time as well.

I am really looking forward to a visit to Willow Springs while out there and Don and I are going to do some dad and son day trips to let him decompress before the long year as a student.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated........

Charles
Old 05-14-2016, 07:50 PM
Got S2000?

Just got back from a road trip in the S. About 1,500 miles in a trip down to Charleston; certainly the longest in our 8 years together.

I remember Java saying that it was quite a comfortable car over long hauls, and I have to agree. Even with my insulation-less car (due to a soaking flood several years ago), the noise didn't seem to bother me much. However I did get seriously bored with I-95 after a few hours....I'm glad I only took that on the way home.

With 100% highway driving at keep-your-license speeds, I was getting about 300-330 miles out of a tank, which seemed to depend on the top being up or down (there were tanks drained entirely in both conditions). I think some people have claimed 400, but I simply can not believe that's possible. If I ran until a tank was empty, maybe 350...but 400 just doesn't seem realistic.

As expected, the car ran flawlessly, which is hardly even worth mentioning at this point.
However, I will fly next time, because driving 10-12 hours just sucks no matter what you're in. Plus, the State Troopers in certain areas are way too sneaky.

If you ever have chance to visit Charleston, it's a fantastic city.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Jim21680; 05-16-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:08 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by Jim21680 View Post
Just got back from a road trip in the S. About 1,500 miles in a trip down to Charleston; certainly the longest in our 8 years together.

I remember Java saying that it was quite a comfortable car over long hauls, and I have to agree. Even with my insulation-less car (due to a soaking flood several years ago), the noise didn't seem to bother me much. However I did get seriously bored with I-95 after a few hours....I'm glad I only took that on the way home.

With 100% highway driving at keep-your-license speeds, I was getting about 300-330 miles out of a tank, which seemed to depend on the top being up or down (there were tanks drained entirely in both conditions). I think some people have claimed 400, but I simply can not believe that's possible. If I ran until a tank was empty, maybe 350...but 400 just doesn't seem realistic.

As expected, the car ran flawlessly, which is hardly even worth mentioning at this point.
However, I will fly next time, because driving 10-12 hours just sucks no matter what you're in. Plus, the State Troopers in certain areas are way too sneaky.

If you ever have chance to visit Charleston, it's a fantastic city.

[IMG][/IMG]

Nice Jim!