S2000 Forums

S2000 Forums (/forums/)
-   Java's Just Drivin' (https://www.s2000.com/forums/javas-just-drivin/)
-   -   Thinking about coming back... (https://www.s2000.com/forums/javas-just-drivin/18133-thinking-about-coming-back.html)

Silverstone_Ryan 08-07-2012 11:26 AM

Thinking about coming back...

Just like the title says, I'm starting to look at S2000's again. :rolleyes:

There just aren't many cars out there that thrill me these days. A MINT, and I mean MINT, low mileage BMW M-coupe even came up for sale and I had made plans to go look at it but chickened out at the last minute. I guess I'm too spoiled by Japanese reliability. I can no longer see myself owning a euro car. So I've found myself cruising the classifieds more and more looking at S2000's instead. I've decided that if I do buy another S it has to be a '06+ for one simple reason, later cars have a passenger seat sensor to deactivate the airbag so my boys can safely ride in the car. That was the biggest problem I had with my '01 which prompted me to sell the car. I hated having a car that my kids could never ride in. It was torture for them and it also greatly restricted my use of the S2000.

Anyway, maybe I'll be back in the ranks soon. I'm not in a big hurry since sportscars will be cheaper in the winter months, but if the right car came around I'd probably buy it. I'm sure glad I didn't sell my factory shop manual! Though I would like my KW's back... :mad:

Vanishing Point 08-07-2012 12:00 PM

I had a feeling you might be missing the "thrill" once you sold your S. So other than a 06+ what are your parameters for a replacement? Color(s), interior color, stock/modded, etc. :)

Wayne 08-07-2012 12:03 PM

Glad to see you're coming back!

Dr. Jimbo 08-07-2012 12:12 PM

I guess you'll have to change your name since they didn't make Silverstone in '06 or above.

kreapin 08-07-2012 12:14 PM

I have thought about selling my car but 1 thing stops me.... What do I replace it with? I cant seem to find something that offers all that the S2 has to offer. Give us a list of your preferences and I am sure every one here will post what they have found up for sale local to them, you might find the perfect one

Vanishing Point 08-07-2012 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Jimbo (Post 221159)
I guess you'll have to change your name since they didn't make Silverstone in '06 or above.

Silverstone was available in '07 as well. :)

rotordyn 08-07-2012 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Silverstone_Ryan (Post 221155)
...I've decided that if I do buy another S it has to be a '06+ for one simple reason, later cars have a passenger seat sensor to deactivate the airbag so my boys can safely ride in the car...

That was exactly my criteria. I have three boys, including two that are crazy for hot wheels. All three (ages 3, 6, and 10) love riding in it. The oldest flew out to Chicago with me after I bought it on eBay, and we drove it back 1000 miles in light to moderate snow the whole way. (certified used from a dealer)

If I didn't find one I wanted, I'd already gotten a quote to order a new WRX STi. I was about to quit looking, as I was pretty rigid on my criteria: '06 or later, very low mileage, zero modifications. There were very few, and I'd expect significantly fewer now.

Marioshi 08-07-2012 12:48 PM

WOOT!

0tyrael0 08-07-2012 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by kreapin (Post 221160)
I have thought about selling my car but 1 thing stops me.... What do I replace it with? I cant seem to find something that offers all that the S2 has to offer. Give us a list of your preferences and I am sure every one here will post what they have found up for sale local to them, you might find the perfect one

If I bought another one I would get a 2003, if not that a CR.

I have thought many times about what I would get that would replace the s2000, there really isnt much I would want. Probably an RX-7 or NSX... maybe. Those two would be mostly beauty over functionality haha.

If I were to replace them all with one car.... hmmm I dont know. There are lots of "do everything" cars but none of them seem to have a soul.

The S2000 is a pretty good choice, good luck with your search Ryan.

Silverstone_Ryan 08-07-2012 01:55 PM

Hahaha, ya. But I figure my first S is good to be named after. :)

As for a car. I'm really only interested in local so I can look before wasting too much time since I'm really picky about condition. Any color but silver/silverstonestone(just need a change) or yellow(too bright). Has to be low miles, excellent condition, and bone stock...I promised myself I'm done tinkering for a while. I just want to drive!

Silverstone_Ryan 08-07-2012 01:59 PM

Oh, and I prefer one with a hardtop...not even because I loved mine but more because the hardtops are also going to get harder and harder to find in good shape.

kreapin 08-07-2012 02:07 PM

What your asking for is quite rare, but can be found. I mentioned in another thread for a member to sell his rx-8 to carmax and that got me wondering if they have any S2's for sale and to my surprise they have 18, a bit pricey but they do have a few low mileage examples that might fit your criteria.

http://www.carmax.com/enus/search-re...6-b722d446d544

Silverstone_Ryan 08-07-2012 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by kreapin (Post 221171)
What your asking for is quite rare, but can be found. I mentioned in another thread for a member to sell his rx-8 to carmax and that got me wondering if they have any S2's for sale and to my surprise they have 18, a bit pricey but they do have a few low mileage examples that might fit your criteria.

http://www.carmax.com/enus/search-re...6-b722d446d544

Man, those are just horribly priced! There's a red '07 with HT for sale here in town for $24k that I might peek at. There's also a dark blue '06 in Seattle with HT for $21k. Both of those have 40k miles or less. There are numerous cars without HT's but I'll wait for winter pricing if I'm going to settle on a car without. I'm looking to stay around the $20k mark so I can pay cash. Unfortunately that rules out a CR(minty CR for sale here too!).

kreapin 08-07-2012 02:19 PM

I did say they were pricey lol. There are a few clean low miles examples though

Vanishing Point 08-07-2012 02:22 PM

Well, being it's not local and is a Silverstone w/H.T. rules out my '07 with ultra low miles as a consideration. Plus it's valued higher than what your looking at currently.

0tyrael0 08-07-2012 02:25 PM

How low is ultra low? Haha

I have an 00 with only 35K on it. But I dont think thats ultra low....

Silverstone_Ryan 08-07-2012 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point (Post 221177)
Well, being it's not local and is a Silverstone w/H.T. rules out my '07 with ultra low miles as a consideration. Plus it's valued higher than what your looking at currently.

Ya, S2000's seem to be priced lower in Oregon than most warm climates. Also cheaper than the other west coast states. That blue '06 in Seattle was a surprise but I wouldn't doubt if its sold already. It was priced to move because of a job relocation. I'm not in a big rush. I can wait for the right car at the right price. Come winter in Oregon the prices will drop a bit. And even if the asking prices don't go down the buyers won't be there so sellers will negotiate more. That's how I got my '01...

Vanishing Point 08-07-2012 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by 0tyrael0 (Post 221178)
How low is ultra low? Haha

I have an 00 with only 35K on it. But I dont think thats ultra low....

1,097 miles.

Silverstone_Ryan 08-07-2012 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point (Post 221185)
1,097 miles.

Holy crap!!! That's not low miles, that mechanically brand new!

0tyrael0 08-07-2012 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point (Post 221185)
1,097 miles.

Yeah thats pretty insane, you should at least break it in.

Vanishing Point 08-08-2012 04:53 AM

Strictly a "garage queen", it's never spent a night outside, nor has it ever been driven in the rain. The car is cleaner, top and bottom, than when I took delivery with 7 miles on the odo.

Switchblade 08-08-2012 01:40 PM

Knew you would want back into the driver's seat of an S Ryan!!

0tyrael0 08-08-2012 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point (Post 221193)
Strictly a "garage queen", it's never spent a night outside, nor has it ever been driven in the rain. The car is cleaner, top and bottom, than when I took delivery with 7 miles on the odo.

mmmm I do love a clean car...

But what are your plans for it? Just preservation?

burlys2k 08-08-2012 06:52 PM

I would like to say I told you so....but I can't remember if I did...:cool:

Vanishing Point 08-08-2012 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by 0tyrael0 (Post 221229)
mmmm I do love a clean car...

But what are your plans for it? Just preservation?

Unfortunately I will need to sell it to make room for another projected build/purchase. Hopefully the next owner will appreciate it's condition.

S2kPaulR 08-08-2012 09:47 PM

Silverstone I live in Eugene, this is the best time of the year to drive an S, not too hot yet not too cold. Plus everyone stares and looks like theyve got no idea what kind of car your driving.... plus best car ever as far as actual "driving" :p

EricJT7 08-09-2012 11:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ryan, I sincerely hope you do end up in the driver's seat of an S2000 again in the near future! I am sure you have still been looking at nearly all the S2000s for sale in the PNW between the forums and craigslist, but I definitely have seen some seemingly nice AP2's pop up myself, although it is always tough to gauge exactly how nice without having checked them out in person. I am sure it is only a matter of time until you find the perfect one for you, I just hope it is reasonably priced as well when the time comes so you can pull the trigger! Also, I sent you a PM--I just want to let you know I truly am grateful for the car you handed over to me.

Something like this that was local would probably be perfect for you, although it may cost more than you are willing to spend at this time.
2008 Black, Fully Stock, ~12,000 Miles, Appears to be in Excellent Condition, Asking price: $25K even

Attachment 7771
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/3189505139.html

EricJT7 08-27-2012 11:37 PM

Another SF craigslist find, however it is a very long drive and is the wrong year.
Nonetheless, it could be a great buy for someone assuming it's truly as represented.

2004, White W/Tan Leather, 13K Miles?!, Stock/Nice Condition, $19,000

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/3233545249.html

jv1 08-28-2012 01:57 AM

Does anyone know about how much a paint job would cost? Seems that would be a way to greatly expand available selection when car color is a big consideration.

kgf3076 08-28-2012 05:04 AM

Earl Scheib - $29.95 any car, any color. (Probably before your time :D).

jv1 08-28-2012 07:45 AM

Paint Job

Originally Posted by kgf3076 (Post 222216)

I remember Earl Scheib but I don't remember that low. That might buy a gallon of paint now.

Marioshi 08-28-2012 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by kgf3076 (Post 222216)

While the 29.95 price was gone well before my time, I do believe Earl Schieb was active into the late 90s. I think it was more like 299.95 though at that point.

Silverstone_Ryan 08-28-2012 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by jv1 (Post 222215)
Does anyone know about how much a paint job would cost? Seems that would be a way to greatly expand available selection when car color is a big consideration.

No freakin way! I won't even buy a car that has been repainted the SAME color let alone a different one. Aftermarket paint jobs will never be as good as the factory paint. Sometimes you can't help it(fender bender, rock chips, door ding, etc) but those are usually a localized repair. I will walk away from any car that has a stem to stern repaint. You never know what they are trying to hide nor how bad the car truely was before the repaint.

I've already looked at, and walked away from, this car because I found evidence of a front end repair. Without talking to the owner I'm not interested. If I were buying from the actual owner who fixed the car and he could provide detailed information I'd consider making an offer, but at a dealer with no details...forget it!

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/3222427727.html

Silverstone_Ryan 08-28-2012 09:48 AM

I'm going to look at this car next. White '06....only year with black interior. But a problem I see right off the bat is the incorrect model year wheels. To me that's evidence that somebody has been messing with the car(I'm one to talk huh? hahaha). But it doesn't hurt to go look. :D

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ctd/3227349620.html

LTWU 08-28-2012 09:52 AM

wow good luck in your search, there's a couple guys out here on the central coast of CA trying to buy a s2k '06 and above. they already said that they're willing to pay full retail, and maybe above if the car is right. my wife saw the ad on craigslist and was pushing me to sell . . . but i'm in the same boat IF i sold i would only do so so i could a lower mileage laguna blue.

gerry100 08-28-2012 09:56 AM

I have an '06 Silverstone.

Of course I may have been duped since I was told by friends back in '00 that they would only be made for one year. All cars after that are Civics w body kits;)

Silverstone_Ryan 08-28-2012 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by LTWU (Post 222228)
wow good luck in your search, there's a couple guys out here on the central coast of CA trying to buy a s2k '06 and above. they already said that they're willing to pay full retail, and maybe above if the car is right. my wife saw the ad on craigslist and was pushing me to sell . . . but i'm in the same boat IF i sold i would only do so so i could a lower mileage laguna blue.

I want this CR.....but I don't want to spend that much on a toy. :(

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/3231635598.html

That CR seems prices well. But honestly at that price level I'd probably just but a Lotus Elise. I've always wanted to own a Elise but unfortunately I don't want to spend that much as previously stated.

jv1 08-28-2012 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Silverstone_Ryan (Post 222226)
No freakin way! I won't even buy a car that has been repainted the SAME color let alone a different one.

I think I get it. You want the perfect car at the perfect price.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/3222427727.html

Silverstone_Ryan 08-28-2012 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by jv1 (Post 222215)
I think I get it. You want the perfect car at the perfect price.

Well ya, isn't that what everybody wants?

If I don't need a car why settle for less? There will always be another car for sale so the only reason to buy one is if it's priced well. And since I'm obsessive about my cars I do want one in perfect condition(well as close to perfect as possible). I have cash and cash talks. I KNOW I can find a car for what I'm willing to pay so I'll be patient and wait for a deal or specific car that strikes my fancy.

Cars like this '04 are up for sale pretty regularly here in the NW at around this price.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/3181734090.html

Yes I'm looking for a '06, and yes it's newer than that '04 so it has a slightly higher value. But this is summer so the the values are at their peak. Come the winter months and I should have no problem finding what I'm looking for.

0tyrael0 08-28-2012 02:06 PM

If you're patient you will find the perfect car at the perfect price.

That was my view with my wrx. I just got lucky and found it really quickly haha.