Java's Just Drivin' A place to talk about the joys of driving the S2000

Thinking about coming back...

Old 08-28-2012, 02:27 PM
jv1

Location: Knoxville, well out in the boon docks of Knox County Tennessee
[QUOTE=Silverstone_Ryan;222255]Well ya, isn't that what everybody wants?

Hope you find it!
Old 09-08-2012, 10:42 PM
Silverstone 2001

Here's an elise for you at $25k, though it is still probably more than you wish to spend right now. Perhaps the price will drop before it is sold.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/3251800641.html
Old 10-07-2012, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by EricJT7 View Post
Here's an elise for you at $25k, though it is still probably more than you wish to spend right now. Perhaps the price will drop before it is sold.

You know, you posted this and it got me to thinking... which is always dangerous. Beautiful car but no way in hell do I want a black car (BTDT). But the thought lingered. And now it's finally got me doing research. I'm honestly surprised at prices on used Lotus Elises right now. The bug has bit me and I'm looking around and learning about these nasty little beasties. Chances are I won't move on it, but who knows? I did say I wanted to reach some goals and make some thing happen in 2013, so... maybe that could be my reward.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:40 PM

I missed this post, but I'm pretty sure that car was the black Elise in Vancouver. I actually had that guy down to $20k for the car....then I found out it had 100k miles!!! So I passed.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy View Post
I'm honestly surprised at prices on used Lotus Elises right now.
Two years ago, when I bought my S2000, they were cheaper. I wish I had bought one then. There were a couple for sale locally with acceptible mileage for around $22-23k asking price. Now those same cars would be asking $27-28k. That puts them out of what I consider my acceptible 'toy car' price range.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Silverstone_Ryan View Post
Two years ago, when I bought my S2000, they were cheaper. I wish I had bought one then. There were a couple for sale locally with acceptible mileage for around $22-23k asking price. Now those same cars would be asking $27-28k. That puts them out of what I consider my acceptible 'toy car' price range.
Yeah, part of me says I wish I had considered getting one back in '07 when I got my S because my financial situation totally could have supported it. But things played out the way they have and it's all good. At that time I had to consider space for a passenger of a particular height. Now I can buy whatever the hell I want (assuming I even choose to make a change at all) and passenger be damned. So we'll see. It's all just talk and reading for me right now.

Who knows? I might not even be able to get in and out of one!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:03 AM

Who knows? I might not even be able to get in and out of one!
Not in a short skirt you won't! Better buy a pair of driving pants. Butt hugging seats, low roof line, and a wide sill stack the deck against graceful(or modest) exits.

My buddy likes to say, "when you roll up in a Elise everybody looks and you feel cool....but then drive around back so they don't have to see you get out. No way to look cool doing that!"
Old 10-08-2012, 08:15 AM
Bug Zapper

My new dream garage (somewhat realistic) involves a Lotus Elise and a GTR (for longer drives).

Do iiiiittt murph.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:18 PM
official newb

I always loved the elise but I definitely would prefer the supercharged exige. The body work is a little over the top but can be toned down a bit
Old 10-08-2012, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by kreapin View Post
I always loved the elise but I definitely would prefer the supercharged exige. The body work is a little over the top but can be toned down a bit
In 2008 they came out with the Elise SC. So you can have the supercharger without the bodywork of the Exige. Not that I dislike the Exige, but it's pricier. And, I think, the Exige is hard top whereas the Elise can go topless. There seems to be an Exige S Roadster slated for 2013, but Lotus appears to be in a bit of turmoil at the moment so I'm not clear on if it's actually happening or not and that's as much as I know about it so far.

Either way, a 2013 Lotus anything is out of the question for me since I don't want to get started into another big car loan.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:34 PM

Drove a '08' Porsche Cayman S, with only 6500 miles on the clock, and I really enjoyed it.. It's not quite as powerful as my S2K, but infinitely more comfortable for longer road trips, and probably better mileage. It corners as well as my Honda, but with much more smoothness, and a great feel through the steering wheel, which was what initially impressed my about my Honda. Probably going to sell my S2K to make room for this one, or one like it.. Problem is my wife loves the S2K.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by hillclimber View Post
Problem is my wife loves the S2K.

You are probably the only man on this forum who would call the situation of his wife loving the S2000 a problem.

And damnit but I'm screwed. I just found two very nice examples of Elises for sale and one of them I think even smiled at me. ****. They aren't local though so it would take a bit of a commitment to see them and make it happen. And I'm not convinced I've had enough time to know enough about the cars to look one over properly. I normally ponder a decision like this for several months.

Why did I even look?
Old 10-08-2012, 10:02 PM

Why did I even look?
'cause your a carnut like most of us here. Neener neener neener.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:44 AM
THE STIG

And I'm not convinced I've had enough time to know enough about the cars to look one over properly.
I didn't know much about the S when I bought it but still got it....
Old 10-09-2012, 06:03 AM
official newb

...... I normally ponder a decision like this for several months.

Why did I even look?
I curse myself a lot for doing the same thing
Old 10-09-2012, 07:38 AM
Hybrid Hater

Originally Posted by Switchblade View Post
Same here, I didnt find out what I bought until I drove it for a month or two.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:45 AM

I missed this post, but I'm pretty sure that car was the black Elise in Vancouver. I actually had that guy down to $20k for the car....then I found out it had 100k miles!!! So I passed.
Makes you wonder how some one could drive an Elise that much.

Neglecting that outlier, Elise may be experincing Viper syndrome. Awesome car but how much time can you spend in a race car environment on a day to day basis?
Old 10-09-2012, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by kreapin View Post
I curse myself a lot for doing the same thing
Yes, but we are talking about cars this time.

Originally Posted by Switchblade View Post
Yeah, I just don't function that way. I have to research stuff first.

Originally Posted by gerry100 View Post
Awesome car but how much time can you spend in a race car environment on a day to day basis?
If you really love to drive a particular car, doesn't seem to me it would be that difficult to run up the miles on it in 8-10 years, especially if you DD it. Just depends on the owner and the situation. I haven't driven an Elise yet so my comments can only be limited to what I've seen and read, but I don't know too many race cars that have air conditioning, power windows, leather seats, and a stereo.

Two concerns (among several) I have are about ground clearance and fragility issues. The former for obvious reasons and the latter just to be aware of in case of an accident. There is a Honda dealership on every corner and plenty of aftermarket support (both mainstream and specialty) for the S2000, especially now as some AP1s can be picked up by even a starving college student. But a Lotus is a different beast in that regard and so it requires due consideration up front. I have not, by any stretch of the imagination, come to any conclusions for myself.

The only thing I can say with absolute confidence is people don't steal Elise seats like they do S2000 seats. The seats are truly butt ugly.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:21 PM

Vipers you see for sale all seem to have lows miles. Word is the heat/noise and ride wears one out in a short time to the point that you just don't have the urge to hop in for a ride ( as one does with the s2k).

For me (at 62) getting in and out of my s2000 is bad enough, an Elise would require Advil preloading.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by gerry100 View Post
Vipers you see for sale all seem to have lows miles. Word is the heat/noise and ride wears one out in a short time to the point that you just don't have the urge to hop in for a ride ( as one does with the s2k).

For me (at 62) getting in and out of my s2000 is bad enough, an Elise would require Advil preloading.
I'm not quite to the Advil stage just yet, and I think that is part of the reason I want to look into one to see if it's a car I might enjoy. I did briefly consider the Elise back in '07 when I got the S2000, but I ruled it out quickly and never test drove it for seveal reasons, one of which was my SO and comfort factor of the passenger seat ballast on road trips for two. Since that is no longer an issue, I'm now taking a second look.

Was it really that hard to get in and out of the Elise when you tried it?

I've been reading the various Lotus forums and apparently many of the owners love their cars as much as S2000 owners love theirs. Those who live in climates which allow for it even daily drive the things. I admit that last bit surprised even me, but I suppose it makes sense. The cars apparently have their drawbacks (as does any car), but many owners seem to be able to overlook those drawbacks for whatever this car seems to give them.

There is much to love about many different kinds of cars. I loved my Miatas. I loved my truck. I love my Yaris (most days). And I love my S. And if I find I love an Elise too, I may choose to go that direction. I don't know yet, and the only way I can find out is to go check it out firsthand.

I'm basically doing what we tell prospective S2000 owners: do the research then go drive one and see if it works for what you want.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:17 AM
House of CR.

I would avoid a lotus Elise for urban driving unless you are even more wary than with a s2000 while parking or leaving unattended. A simple five mph impact to the front requires the entire front clamshell to be replaced (the front acts as a torsion body) with a new one.
Cost wise, your looking at $5-10 thousand depending on the damage beyond the clamshell.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Bug Zapper

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point View Post
I would avoid a lotus Elise for urban driving unless you are even more wary than with a s2000 while parking or leaving unattended. A simple five mph impact to the front requires the entire front clamshell to be replaced (the front acts as a torsion body) with a new one.
Cost wise, your looking at $5-10 thousand depending on the damage beyond the clamshell.
Um, insurance???

Also, I have been driving for 10 years in an "urban" envioronment and never had a "simple" five mph impact, its called "following distance".

But really, why are you worrying about how much your insurance has to pay to fix your car up? A real concern might be how much insurance rates are on the Lotus as a result of its high cost of repair and that I don't know off hand.

Last edited by Marioshi; 10-10-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:05 AM
Silverstone 2001

I'm not sure if you are still looking to get back into another S2000 after selling your RX-7 (assuming you sold it as I saw it for sale), but here is one that almost meets your criteria in your area. The price is steep as is often the case, but perhaps the seller is motivated as it is listed both on CL and autotrader. Most importantly, the car looks to be in very nice shape, nearly pristine based on the ad.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...30310480&Log=0

Name:  Blue2007S2k.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  60.9 KB

Name:  2007BlueEngineBay.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  73.9 KB

Last edited by EricJT7; 12-01-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:18 AM

1,097 miles.
How did you do it??--for me its almost impossible to not have an excuse to take my s2k out----winter is sucking right now as it is stored in the back yard under carport and I can see it everyday ---it is getting no action---kind of like a hot chick that is untouchable at the moment.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:18 PM

I'm not sure if you are still looking to get back into another S2000 after selling your RX-7 (assuming you sold it as I saw it for sale), but here is one that almost meets your criteria in your area. The price is steep as is often the case, but perhaps the seller is motivated as it is listed both on CL and autotrader. Most importantly, the car looks to be in very nice shape, nearly pristine based on the ad.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...30310480&Log=0
Thanks Eric. You're right, I did sell the rotard. So I'm looking for the next toy. After playing with a 19yr old twin turbo car....I realize more than ever how great the S2000 is. Yes it's not the fastest car, yes it's not the sexiest(hey, I love sleek coupes), but dang does it do what it does so WELL! I was missing my S more than ever having that RX-7 in my garage. Where the S2000 was simple the rex7 was a nightmare. Where the S2000 was reliable, the rex7 was not. And I have to admit that even more than sexy coupes I love SMALL agile cars. The rex was the same weight as the S2000 but it felt very large in comparison. I will always have a huge amount of respect for Mazda and the RX-7, but I don't miss moving on! Anyway, thanks for the link.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:23 PM
House of CR.

Originally Posted by Marioshi View Post
Um, insurance???

Also, I have been driving for 10 years in an "urban" envioronment and never had a "simple" five mph impact, its called "following distance".

But really, why are you worrying about how much your insurance has to pay to fix your car up? A real concern might be how much insurance rates are on the Lotus as a result of its high cost of repair and that I don't know off hand.
You cannot compare a monocoque automobile repairs to a structural framed car. This isn't a Honda and the pieces are hand made, hence the repair costs are far higher. That same five mph accident, combined with a rear end hit will likely cost you 25-30 thousand in repairs. Insurance companies know the costs of replacement parts for these cars, and it's the reason so many have salvaged titles or are sold with shoddy repairs to the uninformed public.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:35 AM

You cannot compare a monocoque automobile repairs to a structural framed car. This isn't a Honda and the pieces are hand made, hence the repair costs are far higher. That same five mph accident, combined with a rear end hit will likely cost you 25-30 thousand...
Referring to the Elise... Yes, body repairs on an Elise are significantly more costly than say an S2000. First you have the fact that the panels aren't really panels. There is no right front fender, for instance. Damage the right front and you are replacing the entire front clam. There are no bumpers so if someone taps you in the tail end, well, you are replacing a rear clam and any part of the exhaust that gets damaged. Those clams I mentioned, those are made of fiberglass. The shop you send the car to needs to specialize in fiberglass (think Corvette shop or boat place). Door dings can't be handled by a pdr guy because these doors don't ding the same way as metal doors. While a minor 5mph bump is unlikely to generate 30k in damage, it will generate around 5-10k. So a nimrod in the parking lot who taps your right rear can make your life miserable if your car is an Elise, whereas in the S2000 you could buff out the scratch and shrug it off. A 25 mph collision will almost certainly render the car a total loss. Any frame damage at all, even slight, can *not* be repaired...period.

So if one decides to go Lotus, one has to know what they are getting into, have really good insurance, and realize that it has to be handled differently from most other cars.

Everything is a tradeoff. Choose what you're willing to sacrifice to get the "juice" of what you are purchasing can offer, and act accordingly. Not everyone likes the same juice. Not everyone wants the same thing.

VP: I'm not directing my comments to you. I just used your post as a starting point for additional discussion. I'm pretty sure you know all of this already.

Last edited by RMurphy; 12-02-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:52 AM

Thanks Eric. You're right, I did sell the rotard. So I'm looking for the next toy.
Ryan, looks like you've got your own personal shopper on the job for you. . Either that or a stalker. (joking!) I think it's cool that Eric is doing this. He's probably great at business networking too since he appears to have a knack for remembering who to put with who/what they want.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:06 AM

Ryan, looks like you've got your own personal shopper on the job for you. . Either that or a stalker. (joking!) I think it's cool that Eric is doing this. He's probably great at business networking too since he appears to have a knack for remembering who to put with who/what they want.
Ya, Eric has been a stand up guy since the first email he sent me asking to purchase my car. But I must say that I'd like him better if he didn't own something I miss dearly....
Old 12-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Ah-h-h-h-h, Ry,
Bu'choo took'da money,
Yuh can't legitimately lament,
Dadd'ee took'yer honey.

Iff'yuh ain't buyin'er back,
'En go'n ge'cha'anudda one'fuh Ryan.
Da time'yer spendin' sobbin',
Could be time'yer spendin' enjaiyin'.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:16 AM

Hey Eric... I'm interested in finding a 2007 Elise, prefer it with touring and sport package, moderate mileage (40k?), and under $30k price. Clean title and few to no mods. Any color is fine but not black.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:53 PM

This is a barefaced plug, does not meet any of your parameters, but it is very well maintained car with a different stroke to it.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=3
Old 12-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

"It is garaged and winter stored on a spare set of wheels while summer tires are kept in heated storage."??????????
'Gonna be'a whole lodd'a pissed off Stewiez anybody'z fool'anuff'da read'datt to'em!
Old 12-02-2012, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Java Junky View Post
"It is garaged and winter stored on a spare set of wheels while summer tires are kept in heated storage."??????????
'Gonna be'a whole lodd'a pissed off Stewiez anybody'z fool'anuff'da read'datt to'em!
I can't respond because I have no idea WTF you said.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Fair'anuff.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by L8Apex View Post
I can't respond because I have no idea WTF you said.
Somebody should make a sticky telling people how to translate Javaese!

When you read his words, picture some stereo-typical New Jersey guy talking and then just sound the words out phonetically. Maybe it's a New York accent? I dunno, from the west coast it all sounds the same. Hahaha!

It's usually worth the effort.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:17 PM
EYECELLEM

Originally Posted by Presto88 View Post
Somebody should make a sticky telling people how to translate [B]Javanese[/B]!

When you read his words, picture some stereo-typical New Jersey guy talking and then just sound the words out phonetically. Maybe it's a New York accent? I dunno, from the west coast it all sounds the same. Hahaha!

It's usually worth the effort.
fixed!
Old 12-03-2012, 03:30 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

"all sounds the same" Presto?
Uncle Vito said'ee'd like'da show'yuh'da 'Joizey sightz.

No 'fense meant'n none taken 'Pex.
'Jus' heah'da enjoy.
Uddawize, why bodda.
Y'know?
Old 12-03-2012, 05:43 AM
THE STIG

At first I couldn't understand it either. Seems to help if you read it outloud to yourself.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn1 View Post
fixed!
Thanks, Glenn. I knew something was wrong when I typed that word! I actually erased it and then typed it again because it just didn't look right. I think I've grown to rely on spell-check too much.

Sorry for the hi-jack. Please continue...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking about coming back...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.