Java's Just Drivin' A place to talk about the joys of driving the S2000

drove a nissan 350z today

Old 02-11-2012, 12:42 AM

drove a nissan 350z today

long story short i ended up switching cars with my mechanic today. i gave him my wife's accord to get some regular maintenance, and he gave me his gf's 350z coupe to drive around til the accord was ready. admittedly i'm a little biased against nissan because my first car was a nissan altima. so these are just my musings about the car.

super short wheel base, i thought the s2k was short, but this felt shorter. first thing i noticed was that this car was a little more practical than the s2k. there's more room in it to put stuff, cup holders that are pretty functional and don't get in the way when you're trying to shift (like in the s2k), and the seat bolsters aren't as high. the cigarette lighter outlet is actually in a convenient place (unlike the s2k) so if you have a radar detector or gps, the cord isn't stretching the length of the console. it's pretty practical.

ok now for the driving part of it. there is no gearbox like the s2k's. the shifter in the z was a little long, and it was rough. the gearbox in my '99 altima was smoother than this thing. acceleration is good, it does have a v6, and it's pretty smooth up to speed. it handles really well, i mean the thing is so short how can it not? and the positioning of the pedals made it really easy to heel-toe shift. i don't know if there's some special program in the car but rev matching was really easy. i hit every single one near perfect, and i know i'm not that good, especially being my first time driving the thing.

the sound is terrible. it's like a magic bullet grinding rocks. there's no growl, it's not a throaty rumble, it's . . . . . well annoying. while the interior is ergo friendly, it reeks of cheap plastic. which i understand because they're trying to save weight, but my gripe with nissan has always been their interiors are put together like scotch tape and cardboard. never durable. and the position of the hand brake is super awkward, almost like you have to scratch your back to engage it.

so overall glad i drove it, if i ever got one i would definitely change the intake and exhaust, but more than anything it made me appreciate my s2k even more. the first time i drove a s2k there was an emotional aspect/attachment. the 350z was mechanical, but not emotional.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:45 AM

I drove 350z before buy my S. I feel the weight of 350z in every turns. It feel heavy. Plus I don't like the look when convertible top is up. It's a nice cruiser but not for me.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:49 AM
official newb

Thanx for this thread, i drove the z and was not very impressed, i thought it was me being to picky.
I always have been a fan of jap cars and the 6 cylinder rwd have always been at the top of my favorites but the 350z just didnt do it for me, it felt very detached and soft.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:09 AM
Oz S2K

I am sorry but, the 350z doesn't look pretty or special at all

Also, there is another extremely important thing;

When I first had approached the S2k for the first time in my life,
I had already knew that underneath the body, it is a perfect machine that can produce high & may be more than enough horsepower with its magic 2.0L and can really handle with its X-bone frame while being light. None of those incidences happen unless you consider a Lexus LFA, a Ferrari or another super duper extremely expensive machine..

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with the 350z,

Old 02-11-2012, 08:23 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

'Found'da Z'da make me feel'a liddle claustrophobic. 'Doorz comin' up'da my eyeballz'n'all. 'Felt like'I wuzz inn'a armored vehicle wit' liddle slit-winndaz.
'Doan'dink I even starded'itt afda'datt.

Iff'I rememba . . din'att have some stupid "impress'da-hell-oud'a-yer-frien'z" crossbar stickin' inda'da back'space. 'Prob'ly duzz whudd'itt'z'post'a'doo . . but whut good'z a hatchback'yuh can't t'row'yer mountainbike inn'itt?
Old 02-11-2012, 10:01 AM

I drove a Z before I purchased my S. Not a bad car, seemed to have a lot more low end, but I expected a more civilized ride. Glad I passed on that one.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Got S2000?

I think we can all agree that the 370 is a huge improvement, in every thinkable way.

Just a few years ago, cars that did what this new Z does now used to cost $100,000 bucks or more. In a bang-for-the-buck consideration, there are few that can match it. Thankfully for 2013, the "fish fangs" front end is gone.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:39 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Hell Jim!
Da fish-fangz were good'fuh'anudda 33 HP!
Old 02-11-2012, 01:14 PM
EYECELLEM

I've driven a 350Z, wanna get some seat time on the 370.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Party Rock Crew

I drove the 350 roadster before I bought my S.... not impressed, and the freaking trunk was bid enough to put a brief case...maybe. No golf clubs in that thing, unless they rode shotgun.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:03 PM

The 300ZX Twin turbo is a much better sports car than the 350Z. It's really a car for racing enthusiasts as its much more barebones than the 350. Feels so much sportier, sexyer, quicker, and put on some nice coilovers and it will handle better. Drove one for 2 years and loved every minute in it till I drove my buddys AP1. Literally 2 weeks after I drove his AP1 I sold the Z lol. Still looking for that perfect s2k for me around texas.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by starrman View Post
No golf clubs in that thing, unless they rode shotgun.
yah i can easily fit my clubs in the trunk of my S, but i usually have to take the driver and 3 wood out to make sure the shaft doesn't get all screwed up. problem is i walk most of the time, so it sucks 'cause i can't fit a push/pull cart and clubs at the same time.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by JDMricist View Post
The 300ZX Twin turbo is a much better sports car than the 350Z. It's really a car for racing enthusiasts as its much more barebones than the 350. Feels so much sportier, sexyer, quicker, and put on some nice coilovers and it will handle better. Drove one for 2 years and loved every minute in it till I drove my buddys AP1. Literally 2 weeks after I drove his AP1 I sold the Z lol. Still looking for that perfect s2k for me around texas.
good luck there's a few ppl from texas here. check neighboring states, definitely can be worth it to go out of state to get your car.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Party Rock Crew

Originally Posted by LTWU View Post
yah i can easily fit my clubs in the trunk of my S, but i usually have to take the driver and 3 wood out to make sure the shaft doesn't get all screwed up. problem is i walk most of the time, so it sucks 'cause i can't fit a push/pull cart and clubs at the same time.
I have to take my driver out as well and I have been goofing around with a belly putter, that must come out as well. I have push cart that is just collecting dust, because it doesn't fit...I just get up and run in the morning now.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:33 AM
THE STIG

Never driven a 350Z before so thanks for the write up LTWU!!
Old 02-13-2012, 08:53 AM
Bug Zapper

I thought I wanted one of these for a long time (I was 16 when they came out). I have always liked the Z-cars. My stepdad had a 280Z when I was a kid. I used to ride on the little shelf meant for storage.

But my wife wanted a convertible and the roadster Z is hideous. I have been thankful that she steered me away from it ever since
Old 02-13-2012, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Switchblade View Post
Never driven a 350Z before so thanks for the write up LTWU!!
np

Originally Posted by Marioshi View Post
I thought I wanted one of these for a long time
same, you know it's funny 'cause we have all these visions of how we imagine things are going to be when we picture something. i didn't have a lot of hopes for the Z, and it did what i expected it to . . . . drove well just didn't ignite anything in me. i drove a chrysler town & country in maui a couple weeks ago and had super low expectations but came away mightily impressed.

for the s2k though, i had high expectations, and they were surpassed, i remember pulling a corner in that thing during the test drive and even the saleslady was holding on for dear life.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:37 PM
normal aspiration

Z is a good car. not my kinda car. gotta buddy that is on his third, this one a 350.

i want another S in any color except black or white.

Z32 was the best looking Z. it ran from '89-'96. this is an example. it has a coupla dings and scrapes, but those are offset by the body kit.

bb
Old 02-13-2012, 01:57 PM

I do like the body kit!
Old 02-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Dismember

Hachi machi! I like her...alot. Oh right, the z- very nice too!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:54 AM

Really not a Z fan myself. Dont care for the moaning exhaust note nor the fact that it shares its chassis with the crossover murano/infiniti fx.

Their efforts with the interior lead me to believe they are competing with low end american cars for who can find the nastiest plastics.

Some like the looks but I find them to be only slightly less offensive than the Chrysler Crossfire.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:32 AM
Oz S2K

I think 370Z looks much more uglier than the ugly 350Z

Only thing I like is auto rev matching thingy, not automatic but helping a manuel driver
Old 03-04-2012, 07:57 AM
Custom User Title

I aswell drove this little datsun before buying my s2k. I seriously contemplated getting one. Around the same price (some cheaper!), bigger engine, more practical. But I mean they are absolutely ugly! I dont care what anyone says, I would rather be caught driving a drop-top in an s2000 than a 350z. My buddy had one and when he showed my mother she thought it was a beetle.. Yes the 350z is nicer on the inside, has more torque, and it mates with everyday life pretty well.. But like he said, it lacks the soul the s2k does. I remember the first time I drove one of the things (right after I test drove a 350z) and I wanted the s2000 more. So simple, as top-gear puts it "blissfully irresponsible".
Old 03-19-2012, 12:35 PM

When the 350Z came out I really liked them and contemplated buying one. Being from WI where a convertible is good for about 3 month out of the year the hard top just seemed the way to go!
-BUT-
When I moved farther south and saw my first S in person I forgot all about the hard top stuff and had to have the Stewie!

Besides the "hard edges" of the "Z" were no match for the "luscious curves" of the "S"! (see what I did there...Z...S...edges...curves...ha ha ha)
Old 03-19-2012, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by LTWU View Post
good luck there's a few ppl from texas here. check neighboring states, definitely can be worth it to go out of state to get your car.
Thanks! Ended put picking up an 05 all the way in Dallas and drove it back. Put some dunlop direzza star specs on and love it!
Old 07-24-2012, 07:04 AM
Got Tofu?

I owned a 03 350z track, a 04 twin turbo and a 06 fully built motor g35 coupe - they are heavy cars.. and the 350z is more a fun factor car out of the bunch, but compared to the s2k it's like apples to oranges, overall though I'd take the s2k in a heartbeat..
Old 10-26-2012, 08:36 AM

I owned a G35 Sedan with the6-speed and sport package. It was a fun car, I put a Jim Wolf Tech. Pop Charger and nismo intake arm on it along with a Megan Racing cat back, man did it sound great. I got terrible gas mileage 16-17 mixed and then it started burning 1 qt or oil every 750 miles. I promptly dumped it for a Mercedes and never looked back. It was a fun car and had a good stereo but it felt like you were siting on the seats and not in them and it was big but fast.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:42 PM

I owned a 350z before an s2000 and IMO the s2000 is more exhilarating to drive and feels more connected to the road. The 350z is more of a grand tourer than a canyon carver, it is comfortable for longer trips than the s2000.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:59 PM

i drove a r 35 skyline! Interior lil better than most nissan, not as cheap, doors felt light and cheap. Didn't feel "solid" when opening and shutting. Still felt like a top end maxima with extra leather dashoard....or something, didn't feel like a supercar. Until you hit the gas. 350z next to us was tiny.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:20 PM
Racing Goes On...

Ehhh, my brother owns a 370z, I actually drove both 350z and 370z and for some reason I just don't like the feelin of driving it. Feels just so heavy.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:13 AM

The 240z was a great car and great for the money, after that they kept getting bigger and fatter as they turned into luxo gt cars. Haven't driven one since the 300zx but "heavy" is what I hear about the 350/370