Java's Just Drivin' A place to talk about the joys of driving the S2000

Winter Blues

Old 12-05-2011, 09:28 PM

Unhappy Winter Blues

Hey guys and gal, just thought I would drop a thread here and let you know that I feel the winter blues a comin. I have only owned my S2K since October so I am really dreading putting it up for the winter.

I know I will get it out from time to time during the winter during the sporadic days of above average temps but it is not helping my feelings right now.

I will however take the opportunity to remove the wheels and have them re-cleared. I found a company in Dothan, Alabama that would do them for $85 each. I felt like that was a fair price.

Anyone else had issues with the coating cracking on their AP2 (2004) wheels?

Name:  100_5022.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  194.3 KB
Old 12-05-2011, 09:54 PM

I haven't noticed any issues with my AP2 rims. Do you have any pictures?

Being in Northern Michigan this time of year I feel your blues. Mine has been parked for about a month now. I like to think of it as free time to make a few changes and perform some annual maintenance as I already have the car apart.

Cheers for a short, mild winter.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by TheCarGuy2021 View Post
I haven't noticed any issues with my AP2 rims. Do you have any pictures?

Being in Northern Michigan this time of year I feel your blues. Mine has been parked for about a month now. I like to think of it as free time to make a few changes and perform some annual maintenance as I already have the car apart.

Cheers for a short, mild winter.
I was just looking for some close up pics on the wheels but I do not have any readily available. I will post some up tomorrow night. Raining here for the next few days so it will be a good time to take pics.

Thanks for looking.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:24 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Winter bluez?????
Only blue'bout winter'z yer skin-color when'yuh don't dress for'itt'n'att'z jus' stoopid.
(Level widd'us tm . . 'iss'z jus'a cheap excuse'da pos' more picturez'a'da kidd.)

Winta'z much fun'z summa. 'S'jus'a liddle coola.

Last edited by Java Junky; 12-06-2011 at 03:23 AM. Reason: 'Mispelt'a woid.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:34 AM
THE STIG

I starting to feel it too....... Damn winter......
Old 12-06-2011, 05:39 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Wuss.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:56 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by Java Junky View Post
Wuss.
Don't make me come over there JJ (maybe I can pick up some White Castle while I'm over there)!

Last edited by Switchblade; 12-06-2011 at 06:01 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:05 AM

I'm with you guys.....winter is fast approaching, and I can't recall the last time I had my S still out this late in the year.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:27 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

"(maybe I can pick up some White Castle while I'm over there)"

Yeah, but keep'da topp upp, da heeda on'n don't wave iff'yuh see me.
(Wuss.)
Old 12-06-2011, 08:16 AM
THE STIG

Yeah, but keep'da topp upp, da heeda on'n don't wave iff'yuh see me.
Damn right I will!! Don't want the White Castle getting cold!!
Old 12-06-2011, 08:30 AM
Bug Zapper

Yeah, so wintery it got below 32 last night! My sweater vests arent cutting it any more.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

'S'clouzy out . . budd'itt'z packin' damn-near 60.
There'll be incessant whinin'n'a gnashin'a teeth when'itt startz gettin' col'.
'Alwayz izz.

'D'jooze guyz eva see Go'z col' wedda picture wit' him'n Stiletto out front'a'da bank'z temperature sign?
'Maniac'z'ere wit'da topp dropped (a true believa) inn'izz tee-shirt widd'a Santa hat on.
I'll le'chooze guyz research it'n figure out jus' how nuttz Go izz.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:52 AM
THE STIG

'S'clouzy out . . budd'itt'z packin' damn-near 60.
There'll be incessant whinin'n'a gnashin'a teeth when'itt startz gettin' col'.
'Alwayz izz.

'D'jooze guyz eva see Go'z col' wedda picture wit' him'n Stiletto out front'a'da bank'z temperature sign?
'Maniac'z'ere wit'da topp dropped (a true believa) inn'izz tee-shirt widd'a Santa hat on.
I'll le'chooze guyz research it'n figure out jus' how nuttz Go izz.
Never seen that pic...
Old 12-12-2011, 07:48 PM
Banned

The wheels should be machined, then cleared if done professionally.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:13 AM

Just bumping this thread. My car goes into storage today.

Can't wait until spring.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:41 AM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Originally Posted by phins2rt View Post
Just bumping this thread. My car goes into storage today.

Can't wait until spring.
Do feel for yah! Went to Drake for a couple of years, I know how awful the weather can be. One of the BIG reasons I came back to California. We are still dealing with the leaves changing in the Sierras. Most of the time the top is still down but I wear a hat now!

Name:  S2000Aspen.jpeg
Views: 47
Size:  231.7 KB
Name:  S2000fenderaspen.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  141.2 KB
Old 11-20-2013, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller View Post
Do feel for yah! Went to Drake for a couple of years, I know how awful the weather can be. One of the BIG reasons I came back to California. We are still dealing with the leaves changing in the Sierras. Most of the time the top is still down but I wear a hat now!
Go Bulldogs!
Old 11-20-2013, 10:25 AM
official newb

I feel for you northeners its an event that many of you hate to do this time of the year

But for me here in the southern part of florida, I can really appreciate the S even more now. No more 90+ temps and 50% (usually higher) humidity..... ahhhhhhh. Hurricane season is coming to a close, the rain will stop soon and all we will have left is 75-85 temps by day, 60-75 at night with lower humidity and a cool breeze

Oh wait, this is about you guys sorry
Old 11-20-2013, 11:00 AM
Bug Zapper

Originally Posted by cosmomiller View Post

Oh come on Cos, it rained all night in Sacramento. Quit making it seem nicer than it is around here. This isn't Southern California (or Florida) now. Still though, there is no "putting stewie away" around here.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:03 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by kreapin View Post

Oh wait, this is about you guys sorry

I'm sure you are Kreapin.....

Mine is also in the garage. I'll only drive it if the roads are clear once every two weeks.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:44 PM
official newb

Originally Posted by Switchblade View Post
I'm sure you are Kreapin.....

Mine is also in the garage. I'll only drive it if the roads are clear once every two weeks.
Well I spoke to soon, the rain just wont f*[email protected] quit over here. My interior is pretty wet because my top just cannot repel any more water
Old 11-21-2013, 01:03 PM
THE STIG

Well I spoke to soon, the rain just wont f*[email protected] quit over here. My interior is pretty wet because my top just cannot repel any more water

Karma's a b*tch isn't it? LOL! Hopefully you'll dry out soon.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:46 PM

One word: hardtop!
Old 11-21-2013, 02:36 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Originally Posted by Marioshi View Post
Oh come on Cos, it rained all night in Sacramento. Quit making it seem nicer than it is around here. This isn't Southern California (or Florida) now. Still though, there is no "putting stewie away" around here.
I can tell you today I was zooming down 50 sans top! Was in the clouds up where I am but it cleared up by the time I came down the hill. (Was extra careful though in places as some of the twists and turns up here were wet with leaves.)

No, it is not Coronado, my hometown, but up "the slope" does have a bit different weather than you flatlanders in Sacramento.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:21 AM
official newb

Originally Posted by Switchblade View Post
Karma's a b*tch isn't it? LOL! Hopefully you'll dry out soon.
I think karma is riding shotgun, my interior is starting to smell musty sorta like a old jewish lady's house

Originally Posted by phins2rt View Post
One word: hardtop!
This is florida, we get at least 5 or 6 months with great weather for top down driving but the other months are hotter than 2 young lesbians rolling around naked and just as wet
Old 11-22-2013, 08:03 AM

I think karma is riding shotgun, my interior is starting to smell musty sorta like a old jewish lady's house

This is florida, we get at least 5 or 6 months with great weather for top down driving but the other months are hotter than 2 young lesbians rolling around naked and just as wet
Kreapin, where are you, I am I Vero Beach. In our winters on the worst days I just run up the windows and turn up the heat. I NEVER drive Stewie with the top up. The only time the top goes up is when the car gets washed.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:19 PM
official newb

I'm in Hollywood and spend plenty of time in Miami. Summer is like 5 months of 90+ degrees and insane humidity, no way I'm driving top down in that.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:05 AM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

I'm in Hollywood and spend plenty of time in Miami. Summer is like 5 months of 90+ degrees and insane humidity, no way I'm driving top down in that.
I remember the humidity well. Took a couple of months to get used to it. Plus, you never left the top down, windows open in the afternoon as a TRW would from and get things wet.

One nice thing in CA to get your mind of perverted politics is the low humidity, 10-15%

I use the a/c for featureless freeway driving.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:34 PM

Same solution as in winter, windows up and the a/c on. Was 41 this morning when I went outside to get the paper. At noon I did a little pre-Thanksgiving Day dinner drive and had the windows up and the heat on.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:40 AM
official newb

The past couple of days have been great, barely any rain and the cool breeze make it top down weather.
Where you're at cdk it does get cold, we stay quite a bit warmer down here. I've been to cali a few times the last 2 years for work and so far I really like San Diego, weather is great (so are the woman) and there are quite a few S2's out there.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:21 AM
THE STIG

Past couple days I've had the top down. Mid 40's.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:26 AM
normal aspiration

currently 68 here on the farm.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:36 AM

I can’t believe how deeply into “cabin fever” I have already sunk and it's only December. It’s horrible. The next three days are going to see low temperatures in the single digits. Geez.........

My S is in my heated garage for the winter. All of my leisurely modification projects are underway in one form or another.

Having converted my MY04 to Hondata KPro, I’ve done an air pump delete. Because I am installing AP2 brake ducts, I had to reconfigure my water pump for my supercharger so that there will be sufficient clearance for the brake duct.

I’m now modifying the front bumper for the ducts and fit some sort of grill material over the opening. To do that, I’m learning how to weld polypropylene plastic to mate the grill directly to the front bumper. That’s not really going that well. It’s the “old dog, new tricks” crap in full bloom.

That ought to be done by January when I’ll install the new Kenwood head unit that I’ve just bought. I’m going to put a USB port into the dash for the new head unit.

That will be followed by a new boost gauge from PLX that has a “peak and hold” feature that my present boost gauge does not have.

February is going to be a suspension project. I have not yet decided on the kit but am leaning toward the Mugen Nz with a modified spring configuration.

In mid-March, I’m going to break her out of jail, align her, and take a nice leisurely drive down to Savanna, GA, sip mint juleps for a few days and come back to Chicago when I sober up.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:51 AM
normal aspiration

gotta go to big town here in a minute. me and bb is gonna be topless for about a 60 mile round trip.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:05 PM
official newb

I just finalized a deal for a puddymod 1.5 diff with 4.77 gears, going for the 4.5 hour drive to tampa area saturday to get it installed
Old 12-05-2013, 09:27 PM

I just finalized a deal for a puddymod 1.5 diff with 4.77 gears, going for the 4.5 hour drive to tampa area saturday to get it installed

Say Hi to Ben for me. He built a 1.5 diff with 3.9 gears for me earlier this year and it's just great.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:57 PM
official newb

Originally Posted by L8Apex View Post
Say Hi to Ben for me. He built a 1.5 diff with 3.9 gears for me earlier this year and it's just great.
Caught this a lil late

3.9 turbo gears, how does the car feel from dead stop to say 20 mph?
Old 12-07-2013, 11:32 PM

Caught this a lil late

3.9 turbo gears, how does the car feel from dead stop to say 20 mph?
I find that first gear is much more drivable on the street. That's the view of each person that's driven it, too. It's a real usable gear.

On the other hand, you need to set up a new approach to each track that you run, especially, the technical layouts.

Now that I have an SC and it's laying down 240 ft-lbs and 386 hp at 8,500 rpm, it's not a drastic change in gear use.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:41 AM
official newb

I dont like the s under 3k rpm, from a dead stop it just doesnt have anything in it. With a turbo or supercharger the stock gears or 3.9 would definitely work great but I dont race and I'm not sure when my finances will allow me to purchase a sc so 4.77 gears work out for me.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:37 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Well the new year dawned and I found we in California just had the driest year in history. Big time drought.

Well it was also nearly 62 degrees and sunny. Make hay when the sun shines so off we go for a drive out to the wine country in the foothills. Great roads, great scenery, great picnic. Perfect Day.

Time to mow the lawn I guess. Gophers can't figure out what is going on and they are starting to dig. Birds are starting to make nests. I am not much of a Farmers Almanac kind of guy but looking at nature, I would say we are really screwed (and so are the salmon) when it comes to water this year.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winter Blues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.