Java's Just Drivin' A place to talk about the joys of driving the S2000

Itt Wuzz OUD'A-CONTROL

Old 11-17-2011, 04:15 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Itt Wuzz OUD'A-CONTROL

'So @*#&in' lame.
No, a$$hole. It wasn't OUD'[email protected]*#&in'-CONTROL.
'Att'z why you've godd'a @*#&in' steerin' wheel'n'oze nifdy liddle pedalz down'ere.

Somebody'd suggested'att we were kind'a overpowerin'd'udda t'read about not makin' Stewie any more. 'Ey were right. My apologiez'ta'da OP.
But whut wuzz also suggested wuzz'att we were beatin'a dead horse continuin' on about'da rain drivin'.
'Couldn't disagree wi'cha more.

Outside'a'itt bein' wet . . rain'z no diff'rent'n drivin' in'a dry'n lozin' traction on one'r more tirez. Itt could be'a wet layer'a leavez in whut wuzz previously a friendly'n familiar corner (hint, hint), sand, loose gravel, Sally'z broke bagg'a marblez . . whuddeva. Resultz're'da same.
Attitude change.
Hittin'a brakes in'a corna (prob'ly #1 in'a Stewie "hit" parade) shif'z Stewie'z mass. You've got 4 tire patchez workin' away for'yuh, providin'a traction'att'z puttin'att smile on'yer kisser . . . . n'a brakez jus' majorly deman' grip . . . . in'anudda direction. Jus' lettin'upp on'a gass'z anuff'da bring'yuh up-close'n personal wit'da scenery'yuh were jus' motorin' pas'.
Dink Stewie'z attitude becomez less'n optimum add'a time when optimum'z called for? (Oh . . n'att previously mentioned smile? It's powered by optimum traction . . . 'n'z nowhere'da be foun'.)

Anudda one (jus' witnessed yestaday in'a rain): rain-drivin' in'a straight line. Loze traction widd'all 4, unless yuh'doo somethin' monumentally stoopid . . you'll probly stay straight.
Have one wheel still getting traction and you've got 3 free and that one wheel actin'azz'a pivot.
Now multiply datt by'da infinite numba'a combinationz'a which wheel(z) got traction'n which don't, how much traction loss is involved, etc.,etc., etc..
(Oh, yesterday'z spin-out wuzz okay. She never even godd'off'a'da phone. But wit'da a$$ end'uv'er minivan hangin' over'n 80 foot drop'ta'da river . . I'm bettin'ere wuzz'a certain "odor" aroun'er seat.)

I'm jus' ramblin', but we've got some real driverz on'da site, who've spent time enjoyin'emselvez'n honin'eir skillz.
Diss'd be'a good spot for'em to try'da keep site brethren ('n sisteren) from augerin'-in deir Stewiez.
'Be'a good spot'fuh questionz too.
I turn'a podium over'da my mos' esteemed colleague from . .

Last edited by Java Junky; 11-17-2011 at 05:29 AM. Reason: 'Spelt sumpin' rong.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:03 AM

i am from long island and i have a problem with this joisey talk lol.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:21 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

'S'okay Cross. You say tomaydo, I say tomahto . . .
('N . . "Joisey"z jus'a New Yawka'z way'a sayin' 'Jersey.)
Don hadd'a Java'da English translator for sale (Bu'cha'kin gedd'itt cheaper on Amazon.)
Old 11-17-2011, 07:03 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by Java Junky View Post
'S'okay Cross. You say tomaydo, I say tomahto . . .
('N . . "Joisey"z jus'a New Yawka'z way'a sayin' 'Jersey.)
Don hadd'a Java'da English translator for sale (Bu'cha'kin gedd'itt cheaper on Amazon.)
I think Glenn might have an extra copy!
Old 11-17-2011, 07:34 AM

There should be an auto-translate on the forum with as much as you post/people ask about it. lol

Oh and i was once in a parking lot kinda aggresive and lost control for a second. started going sideways and managed to get it going in the direction i wanted again. Empty parking lot practice FTW.

Last edited by CLOS; 11-17-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:09 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

'Godda car, ANY car.
Carz gedd'oud'a shape . . aaay! I din'make'da roolz . 'att'z jus' whut'dey doo.

Doo'yuh A) get familiar wit'da car'n try'da fine'out whudd'itt'z like unda duress, 'r doo'yuh B) wait'fer'itt'da yell SURPRIZE!?

CLOS . . . yer onn'yer way man. Tale notez. (Take! Take! Take notez. Sheesh!)
(Public Service Announcement: mos' well-uzed parkin' lotz got dimplez where'da tirez'a parked carz set'n lower'deir geography on warm'n hot dayz. Don't play in lotz where'doze dimplez're present. Spin, get bite on'da high-side'a one'a'doze dimplez'n'ey kin flipp'yuh. 'Z ol' Esterhauz used'da say:"Lett'z be careful out dere.")

Last edited by Java Junky; 11-17-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:01 AM
EYECELLEM

Originally Posted by Switchblade View Post
I think Glenn might have an extra copy!

Mine's worn out from extensive use.

But we have no winter issues where I live, here in NoCal we have summer and maybe fall conditions thoughout the entire year.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:14 AM

'So @*#&in' lame.
No, a$$hole. It wasn't OUD'[email protected]*#&in'-CONTROL.
LOL. Yes, I find it amusing when people choose to absolve themselves of responsibility by referring to the situation in a passive mode instead of active. Example: "the car went out of control" versus "I'm a dumba$$, drove beyond my competency level, and I lost control of it; in fact, threw control away with both hands!"

I'm jus' ramblin', but we've got some real driverz on'da site, who've spent time enjoyin'emselvez'n honin'eir skillz.
Diss'd be'a good spot for'em to try'da keep site brethren ('n sisteren) from augerin'-in deir Stewiez.
*sigh* And this is why I could never be a school teacher. The constant repetition OVER and OVER and OVER again would kill me. I need to come up with some macros for answering these questions. You know, like if I hit Ctrl F12 it will spit out Remedial Weight Transfer Concepts 098 and Introduction to Traction 101 and I don't have to type more?

Perhaps there should be prerequisites before posting certain words like "rain" or "traction" in the forum. You know like you must have read certain really great books or videos on driving and/or racing. The Unfair Advantage. The Stainless Steel Carrot. I don't know.

What books or videos would you suggest?
Old 11-17-2011, 11:20 AM
Bug Zapper

Originally Posted by RMurphy View Post
What books or videos would you suggest?
wtf is this reading rainbow all the sudden.

RAIN AND........................... TRACTION.

Take that murph.

A no, I DONT know how to read. Blah.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Marioshi View Post
wtf is this reading rainbow all the sudden.

RAIN AND........................... TRACTION.

Take that murph.

A no, I DONT know how to read. Blah.
<bird> Iosh, this is why you did so poorly on reading comprehension tests. The post also said VIDEOS. So you could suggest good instructional videos for the newbs.

I may have misread Java's post (sometimes loses something in the translation) but I got the impression he was asking some of the folks here to respond in helpful fashion to the newbie posters who are asking about rain and traction and whatnot. He wants us to advise said newbies on ways to learn car control and stuff so's they don't land their tails in a wall or a ditch or some other less than completely desirable parking spot.

And so I was suggesting maybe we could create a reading or, for those with reading comprehension challenges, video list of resources with great information on understanding the basics of vehicle dynamics (aka WTF is My Car Doing and Why?).

The short of it is that a car does exactly what you tell it to do, even if what you tell it to do is completely stupid. The trick is learning the car's language and how it will respond to what you tell it. It's kind of like talking to your wife, you know?

Last edited by RMurphy; 11-17-2011 at 11:46 AM. Reason: spelling error... dynamic is not spelled dymanic!
Old 11-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Bug Zapper

It's kind of like talking to your wife, you know?
No wonder I am clueless about it! DOH!
Old 11-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Iosh tol' me'da tell youze guyz'add'ee'z doon well.
He'll hafda wear'da cas' fer'anudda 6 weekz, budd'ee don't dink'da rollin' pin she used'on'imm sustained any damage.

Murph, no arguement from me. Answerin'a same questionz everytime some new meat walkz in'a door got old'bout'da thousandth time. ('Secon' time really . . I'd like'da be dought'uv'z more tolerant'n'att dough.)

Bu'cha contribute whu'cha feel like contributin' . . personally . .yer "I hit Ctrl F12 it will spit out Remedial Weight Transfer Concepts 098 and Introduction to Traction 101" made'itt all worthwhile.
(Danks. 'Wuzz hopin' you'd show up.)
Old 11-17-2011, 12:38 PM
EYECELLEM

You know what I haven't seen typed in a long time? Use the SEARCH FUNCTION. Maybe our newbies are getting smarter.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:32 PM

wow.

S2000 has no trouble in the wet. If you're not cuttin' it in the rain, the snow is gonna be a real problem.

the only advice I could give would be to be smooth with all controls.
small inputs serve you best in a low traction situation, whether it be from the steering wheel, brake, or accelerator.....'n always be looking where you want to car to be, 'n steer towards it.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:44 PM
normal aspiration

i ain't no Motoharu Kurosawa. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl5cFzcZ8YY

just a refresher for you guys to see what kinda traction an S2000 has.

Gan San can use all 100% of an S2000s abilities. me? i can get about 50%. i ain't no driver. i know my limitations. still, i can drive the **** out of my little honda.

traction = control

loss of traction or leaving the roadway = out of control

keep the contact patches in contact and you should be all right. rain just makes things slippery. so, slow down and be smooth. like jagg says, look where you want it to go, don't make no stupid inputs and go about your business.

the S2000 is supposed to be bad to understeer. i haven't experienced it yet. might not be a bad idea to learn how to recover if the rear comes around. also learn when to put both feets in.

nobody should lose traction on a public road. i know it happens. if it happens to you, either refine your driving skills or slow down.

i was going for a ride in the rain yesterday. i love to drive in the rain. terrifying...love terrifying. i took a nap instead. the incessant drum of the rain on the tin roof put me to sleep. i woke about 5:30 and it was getting dark. by the time i got ready to go, the last light was gone and the moon was a long time to come up. not that it would have mattered; the sky was overcast. it was a black cat in a coal bin at midnight situation. i cranked, warmed up a minute, dropped top and hit the back roads. the S2000 has amazing illuminative powers. with the high beams on i felt i could run maybe 55 or 60 tops and i settled on 45. anything faster was just too fast. i am old but my night vision remains very good. i passed a deer on the side of the road in the first mile, had to slip a little left to avoid mr. opossum and had to speed up to not hit mr. bun. it was a pleasant time--just me, bb, the night air, and the country roads. before my 40 mile run was over the sky had started to clear and the stars were sparkling here and there. i never did see the moon. inky black.

i was taught that the mark of a good driver was being a wheel man that never made another driver use their brakes, steering, throttle or horn in defense of his driving.

i believe that you can test your driving skill by driving in the rain at night. anywhere. freeway driving is ok but the best test is on a two-lane blacktop. no street lights. really scary. do be careful.

Last edited by bbcricketta; 11-17-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: moon is just coming up now at midnight...
Old 11-17-2011, 11:32 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Good write up bb. One more thing some tend to over look, leave extra space from the car in front. I've had them spin in front of me and you need to give the car in back extra time to brake. You never know if they have much experience in the weather, especially out here in So-Cal, where they don't know enough to slow down at the first sign of rain, when the oil/water mix is the most treacherous.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:51 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

'Might be more'da idiotz-per-hundred quotient Phil.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:27 AM
normal aspiration

copyright infringement is a serious crime. i am guilty. i did not give proper credit to philiam, as his mantra is "smooth." i think i am smooth, my wife thinks not. i try.

i grew up driving in the other LA (Lovely Atlanta) on the old freeway which was horrendous. i was taught to keep one car length for every ten miles an hour of speed behind the car in front. in LA, either one, this is impossible because some dip-wad is always cutting in front of you if not cutting you off. first thing i do if i have to jam on the brakes is check the rear view to see what's what. sometimes you can give the guy behind you a few extra feet.

seems nobody has experience in driving in the weather. nobody wants to slow down. got to slow down in the rain. like jj said, losing it in a straight line, you are probably going to continue in a straight line--i think that's one of newton's laws; but there is a big difference in hydroplaning at 45 mph and in hydroplaning at 75. if you hydro, don't let go of the wheel, let off of the gas and don't hit the brakes--traction should resume momentarily. hydroplaning at speed is terrorizing. hydroplane in a curve at speed and may god have mercy on your soul.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:52 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Iff'I might add somethin'a beeb'z hydroplanin' advice: dough you'll be sorely tempted, do not crank the wheel to-lock while you're hydroplanin'. Iff'yer hydroin' . . idd'ain't gonna make no diff'rence anyway'n when'yuh resume traction, 'att to-lock might not be'da yer bes' advantage.
Bu'cha godda'doo whu'cha godda'doo'da gedder stopped widdout contact'r't leas' unda control.
'Change'a shortz'izz'z cheap . . 'n usually recommended.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:53 AM
normal aspiration

yes, do not whip the steering wheel about when hydroplaning. you got no control so don't make an input that will put you at a disadvantage when traction resumes. "Bu'cha godda'doo whu'cha godda'doo..."

one more thing: don't use the cruise control in the rain or wet or snow or ice. i likes my cruise but i don't like to use it at night--seems the curves creep up on ya. i like to be able to ease off of the gas before entering a curve blind. at least in the daylight you can see what you are dealing with. night time is a whole 'nother matter.

all this stuff we are talking about is driving 101 and some of you may find it boring and improper to be hashed and rehashed. i see people driving everyday when i am in the ATL that have no clue and are seemingly oblivious. the rain drivers are insane. tailgaters and speeders abound. they have no idea of what hydroplaning is. drivers? not. think of this as a refresher course. of course, i offer a disclaimer and am not responsible for anything that you may read here. use this information and drive at your own risk.

Last edited by bbcricketta; 11-18-2011 at 09:04 AM. Reason: easing bb out of the barn for a afternoon run...
Old 11-18-2011, 09:48 AM
jv1

Location: Knoxville, well out in the boon docks of Knox County Tennessee
Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post
i ain't no Motoharu Kurosawa. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl5cFzcZ8YY

just a refresher for you guys to see what kinda traction an S2000 has.

Gan San can use all 100% of an S2000s abilities. me? i can get about 50%. i ain't no driver. i know my limitations. still, i can drive the **** out of my little honda.

traction = control

loss of traction or leaving the roadway = out of control

keep the contact patches in contact and you should be all right. rain just makes things slippery. so, slow down and be smooth. like jagg says, look where you want it to go, don't make no stupid inputs and go about your business.

the S2000 is supposed to be bad to understeer. i haven't experienced it yet. might not be a bad idea to learn how to recover if the rear comes around. also learn when to put both feets in.

nobody should lose traction on a public road. i know it happens. if it happens to you, either refine your driving skills or slow down.

i was going for a ride in the rain yesterday. i love to drive in the rain. terrifying...love terrifying. i took a nap instead. the incessant drum of the rain on the tin roof put me to sleep. i woke about 5:30 and it was getting dark. by the time i got ready to go, the last light was gone and the moon was a long time to come up. not that it would have mattered; the sky was overcast. it was a black cat in a coal bin at midnight situation. i cranked, warmed up a minute, dropped top and hit the back roads. the S2000 has amazing illuminative powers. with the high beams on i felt i could run maybe 55 or 60 tops and i settled on 45. anything faster was just too fast. i am old but my night vision remains very good. i passed a deer on the side of the road in the first mile, had to slip a little left to avoid mr. opossum and had to speed up to not hit mr. bun. it was a pleasant time--just me, bb, the night air, and the country roads. before my 40 mile run was over the sky had started to clear and the stars were sparkling here and there. i never did see the moon. inky black.

i was taught that the mark of a good driver was being a wheel man that never made another driver use their brakes, steering, throttle or horn in defense of his driving.

i believe that you can test your driving skill by driving in the rain at night. anywhere. freeway driving is ok but the best test is on a two-lane blacktop. no street lights. really scary. do be careful.
Hey, man, this is poetry. I'm one of the newbies (hate that word) but thanks to Java Junky and others I've heard what you've said. I'm not a fast driver and don't intend to push Golden Finch (car name). Am 62 and my aka is pig-killer so have known rain stuff for long time but this message is worth repeating with or with F12 technology. So once again appreciate your patience and help. I've tried to add to understanding the S2000 marketing having posted most of my serious analysis under "Why they quit making S2000s". Of course this won't save any lives or prevent any wrecks. I'm off to Golden Finch and my wife says I have to stay away from forum for awhile, so tata.

Loved watching the video but no delusions maybe I'm a 30 percenter

jv1 Emeritus 40th post (shirt and socks)
Old 11-18-2011, 03:45 PM

The short of it is that a car does exactly what you tell it to do, even if what you tell it to do is completely stupid. The trick is learning the car's language and how it will respond to what you tell it. It's kind of like talking to your wife, you know?
This.