who'da thought 2 pounds would make such a difference? - S2000 Forums

Go Back  S2000 Forums > Honda S2000 Forums > Java's Just Drivin'
who'da thought 2 pounds would make such a difference? >

who'da thought 2 pounds would make such a difference?

Java's Just Drivin' A place to talk about the joys of driving the S2000

Old 10-30-2011, 08:10 PM

So I was over at the local gas station last night topping off the tank, checking fluid levels, and checking the tire pressures getting ready for the run in the morning. Just for kicks I decided to increase pressure to 34 PSI to see what the impact would be on this morning's run.

Holy cow. The difference surprised the heck out of me. I figured I woudn't be able to feel much of anything. Oh noooooo. I noticed right away that the vehicle was substantially more skittish and I felt significantly less confident on the first few bits of roads than I normally feel. I almost wanted to stop before getting to The Snake to adjust pressures, but I dealt with it until we stopped at the Overlook because I didn't want to inconvenience everyone else with my silly experiment.

After that, things were back to normal and I was back to trusting the tires completely.

I don't know why, but it just surprised the heck out of me.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:22 PM
just havin' fun

Roseanne on the streets I run 30 psi in the fronts and 25 in the rears. I think I am running a little bigger tires as well, 225 up front and 265 out back.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Mr. Riley Wilson

Help me here, I've been noticing more rear end slippage lately and haven't checked tire pressure. My guess is that tire pressure has declined. With this probable decline, should I feel more or less slippage? I would think less as there would be more rubber on the road. Also the fact that we have had minimal rain over the past year or so may be making the roads a little slick, but I feel like my rear wants to slide.

FWIW, I have about 5000 miles on my tires. Or maybe I'm getting a little more confident in my car?
Old 10-30-2011, 10:36 PM
EYECELLEM

Yep, for a car with razor sharp reflexes like the S, a change in tire pressure will surely reflect in the handling feel. I stay with the safe 32 psi front and rear like the tire placard advises.

Rose, if you have driven a few miles and tried to adjust the tire pressure, surely the tire pressure reading would be off due to the hot tires, no?

Also, for every 10 degree drop in ambient temp, we lose 1 psi from the tires.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:07 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Murph . . yer jus' full'a surprizez.
'Figured fuh sure you'd'a messed wit'diss before'n known aboudd'itt.
'Jus' knew'da'cha hadd'a liddle book'a'cha filled wit' neatly pencilled-in resultz'a yer tire-pressure 'sperimentz.
Curses! Wrong again!
('Glad'juh hadd'a good ride.)
Old 10-31-2011, 05:26 AM

I run 38 in the back in 40 in the front and the only time i slide is going around a u turn with style lol. i also have 90% tread left on my yoko's

i am sure when they wear away ill be dropping the pressure
Old 10-31-2011, 06:40 AM
THE STIG

I tried 35 all the way around in my AP1 and that made a huge difference. 32 all around now!
Old 10-31-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Croker View Post
Help me here, I've been noticing more rear end slippage lately and haven't checked tire pressure. My guess is that tire pressure has declined.
Don't guess. Check the pressure. But as the tire ages, goes through heat cycles, etc, you are likely to see *some* decline of performance regardless of pressures.

Originally Posted by Glenn1 View Post
Rose, if you have driven a few miles and tried to adjust the tire pressure, surely the tire pressure reading would be off due to the hot tires, no?
True. When I checked tire pressures Saturday night (cooler ambient temps) I had just driven a few miles at freeway speeds so admittedly the pressures would be a little different. However, I had checked them earlier in the afternoon before driving out so I already had some idea what the pressures were at "cold." Same tire gage, but I will also admit I'm using a cheesy pencil gage. Christmas is coming (hint hint!).

At the overlook I let the tires sit a bit to cool. It was about 68 degrees and still fairly cool outside at that point.

Originally Posted by Java Junky View Post
Murph . . yer jus' full'a surprizez.
Full of something, that's for sure. I have just never opted to deviate from the recommended settings since I figure Mama Honda's engineers have a better clue than I do. The car is pretty much bone stock so I see no reason to figure anything I change is going to make the car "better."

Originally Posted by crossracing70 View Post
I run 38 in the back in 40 in the front and the only time i slide is going around a u turn with style lol. i also have 90% tread left on my yoko's
Yeah, see, what I *think* I was noticing was increase in push with the higher pressures. Now, on this car, that's about the last thing I would expect to experience. I could feel VSA/ABS kicking in a lot more and it just unnerved me because I'm usually pretty consistent in knowing where the limit is and not crossing it much.

*shrugs*

Of course, my front tires are mostly toast on the inner edge because I was kinda stupid and didn't get an alignment done immediately after getting the Star Specs. Basically I am going to have to replace these about 5k miles sooner than I *should* have had to replace them because I put off something I should not have put off. Not a mistake I plan to make again considering what tires cost for this beast.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:37 PM
bilmilharley

bilmil

On the subject of temperature change in a hot tire and a cold tire. I now have a vehicle with the pressure sensors in the tires (actually the wheels) and have made a "observation". The hot tires (after considerable time on the interstate at 65mph and 95 degrees ambient) were only 2-3 lbs higher than a cold tire. I had always assumed that the differance would be greater than that. Like 10 or 15 lbs. at least. Nope! I do set my pressures with the tires cold but i have an air compressor at home which makes this an easier task. And that pencil guage is probably more accurate than you give it credit for. Compare it to someones high dollar guage and you will be suprised. Save your money to by gasssss.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:48 PM

Pencil gauges are notoriously inaccurate. A good gauge is not terribly expensive and well worth it. I had a dent repair guy offer to fill up a low Odyssey time, and he relied on his built in pencil type gauge. When I put my accurate gauge on it, I now had about 10 pounds too much air in it. I was not pleased.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:28 PM

I actually raced in my first autox event today and I absolutely know what you mean. I started off running 36 front 34 rear and the car felt like it was on a wet road. It was much more controllable down around 32 front 30 rear.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

AudoX have turnz isu.
'Dought'choo din't doo turnz?
('N whudd'juh break?)
Old 11-06-2011, 07:47 PM

I do turns just not as often as straights . I still love drag racing but I think I am pretty much done with it with this car since I know what it will do so why break it. I didnt break anything, stewie loves being devalued. My friend however trashed his trans in his evo. The only gear I know he has is 3rd woops.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:22 AM
THE STIG

Holy crap, it's an Isu sighting!! How ya been man?! Where was the autoX event?
Old 11-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Bug Zapper

Originally Posted by s2000isu View Post
stewie loves being devalued. .
I cant agree more.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:57 PM

Yep I am alive and well. It was at warminster park.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:47 AM
THE STIG

Awesome man!! Warminster huh? That's about 50 miles south of me..... hhhmmmm.....
Old 11-14-2011, 09:26 PM
jv1

Location: Knoxville, well out in the boon docks of Knox County Tennessee
I'm new. What does paint it pink or get a Miata mean. Also what's the "bra and panties" metaphor. I've seen a bra on a car but what are "panties" and why?

jv1
Old 11-14-2011, 09:35 PM
jv1

Fear and Loathing in a Las Vegas land yacht.

Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer View Post
Pencil gauges are notoriously inaccurate. A good gauge is not terribly expensive and well worth it. I had a dent repair guy offer to fill up a low Odyssey time, and he relied on his built in pencil type gauge. When I put my accurate gauge on it, I now had about 10 pounds too much air in it. I was not pleased.

I always remember Hunter Thompson's cranking up his psi to 60 or 80 in order to get the right response for the Great White Shark or whatever he called his car. The attendant refused to put the air pressure that high so Thompson, aka Duke had to do it himself. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is about the funniest book I've ever read.

jv1
Old 11-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Banned

I noticed that after I sold my ccw's and put my stock ap1 wheels on I brought them up to about 35psi in the rear. I immediately noticed that the rear would chirp easier and slide out. Tire pressure does a lot on these cars.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by jv1 View Post
I'm new. Also what's the "bra and panties" metaphor. I've seen a bra on a car but what are "panties" and why?
It's not a metaphor. It's a joke. My car is not modded. The driver, however, occasionally wears her yellow bra and panties. The JOKE is that I put CAI on them. In fact, at one point, I posted a photoshopped picture of a bra and pair of panties with CAI. It was funny.

Panties are undergarments that women frequently wear. Why we wear them is up to the individual wearing them.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:59 AM
jv1

Originally Posted by RMurphy View Post
It's not a metaphor. It's a joke. My car is not modded. The driver, however, occasionally wears her yellow bra and panties. The JOKE is that I put CAI on them. In fact, at one point, I posted a photoshopped picture of a bra and pair of panties with CAI. It was funny.

Panties are undergarments that women frequently wear. Why we wear them is up to the individual wearing them.

OK, only one further clarification. What is "CAI". Heard of the CIA but not the CAI. The CIA part is a joke but I have no idea about "CAI".
Old 11-15-2011, 06:05 AM
THE STIG

CAI = Cold Air Intake
Old 01-22-2012, 05:24 AM

im gunna have to try this experiment. im pretty sire im running 32 or 34 right now..
Old 01-22-2012, 12:39 PM
Party Rock Crew

Originally Posted by project*stealth View Post
im gunna have to try this experiment. im pretty sire im running 32 or 34 right now..
Make sure you report your findings back here...
Old 03-20-2018, 09:10 AM

Tire gauges?

This is an old thread but I'm a new guy, so I've been exploring.
OK. I've got a half-dozen or more tire pressure gauges and one on my air delivery hose from the compressor.
Three of them are "better" brands...like Accugage, Blue Point, etc. Only two of them agree with one another.
The 1.99$ pencil gauge agrees with the big-dollar Blue Point. Go figure!
So where, and how, does a country boy find a solid benchmark to work from?
I know consistency is important, but in this thread you guys are talking about being 2-4 pounds off and feeling a big difference.
JohnD
Old 03-20-2018, 04:03 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Part art form, part hardware. You need to have a consistent way of “sticking” the gauge on the valve stem. If you do it too slowly or miss a little (you hear some hissing lasting longer than the desired ‘ssp”) then it will probably indicate low. I have some digital ones and a high quality on attached to a miltiary style air pump and I have compared them all with dial analog ones (Slime) that I have picked up at Wal Mart. Inexpensive but have been pretty darn consistent and agree with my other benchmarks. Only was one off and that was 2 pounds. I put one in each of the cars and another or two for the workbench.

I have had some good pencil gauges but they have been older ones with steel shrouds and made in the USA. The really cheap all Chinese plastic ones are not accurate for me.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:24 AM

Ok I know this is an old thread post but. Running the hot contintials the, Extreme Contacts or P5's 35 psi is insane and only for practicing in the rain. I run 29psi hot, 31psi normal, and 33psi on on long freeway runs.don't trust the makers numbers. They don't know how light our cars our.
Experiment with your tires. They are your first line safety equipment. Happy driving !
Old 09-24-2018, 05:29 AM

O yeah. Get a real gauge. There like 15 bucks.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:06 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by AP1Dave View Post
There like 15 bucks.
There like the wrong word. They're, their, there. Sorry to rag on your post, but ..... They're = contraction of They are; Their = possessive, belonging to someone; There = placed, in position. ARGHHHHHHHHHH!!! Apparently nobody in this country can write English correctly.

/Soapbox off
Old 09-24-2018, 12:53 PM
EYECELLEM

Kg, ap1dave should be put on probation for that violation, but that would only leave 4 other posters left on this site.
Their (possessive) I said it.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:37 PM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by Glenn1 View Post
Kg, ap1dave should be put on probation for that violation, but that would only leave 4 other posters left on this site.
Their (possessive) I said it.
I think you might be optimistic, Glenn.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:45 AM

They're. Sorry. Thanks for the lesson. I don't have a lot of grammer or spelling knowledge which is wierd because my old girlfriend was an AP reporter. Maybe thats why she's an ex. Still she drives a MX 5 so thats some consolation.
Any way spelling, grammer, and punctuation do make things better so I thank you for the correction. My sister would be happy that someone else is assisting her in the effort.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:36 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by AP1Dave View Post
They're. Sorry. Thanks for the lesson. I don't have a lot of grammer or spelling knowledge which is wierd because my old girlfriend was an AP reporter. Maybe thats why she's an ex. Still she drives a MX 5 so thats some consolation.
Any way spelling, grammer, and punctuation do make things better so I thank you for the correction. My sister would be happy that someone else is assisting her in the effort.
You just happened to hit me on the day that one of my pet peeves had hit critical mass.You're certainly not the only one who does that. Even supposedly erudite posters get confused at times.