Java's Just Drivin' A place to talk about the joys of driving the S2000

Modifications: Honda got it right. Mostly.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:38 AM

Modifications: Honda got it right. Mostly.

Lol, bought my sk2 about 2 years ago, a few weeks after my very low mileage, but out of warranty Boxster S literally blew up on me while crossing a long narrow bridge. Nightmarish, but that's a different opera.

So I buy my 2002 AP1 with 15k on the clock thinking, "ok, it is probably fast enough, relatively inexpensive to buy, and I won't suffer the cardiac arrest at the repair shop and parts counter as i had so many times with my previous p-cars and Lotus. (the estimate to repair the Boxster was $16k).

And of course, there is a decent aftermarket for upgrades, which is usually a lot of the fun in owning a sportscar. Then I stumble onto this forum and see lots of ideas for performance upgrades. But it seems in most threads, someone is always posting "Honda got it right the first time". I dismissed that of course and have gone on to "upgrade" a variety of parts. And you know what, as for performance upgrades, Honda pretty much got it right the first time!

Ran with an Invidia exhaust for about 20mins, swapped in different springs a few times and am still thinking about going back to stock. AEM intake for a few days, until I figured "what's the point?". My latest and dumbest, met a guy with a tricked out S2k a few weeks ago who claimed his Cusco rear upper sway bar improved his handling more than anything. I even looked at it in his trunk and saw the spare was gone. Found a cheap one on Craigslist and read thru the forums yesterday (should have read them before buying). The bars are useless and you can't carry the spare. Once again.... Honda got it right the first time.

The only performance upgrade I have found that worked was going from 16 to 17" stock rims. Honda got it right in that case with the AP2. There are some non performance upgrades that have worked out. The stereo (no brainer). I am also fond of the fog light upgrade. Not that they are so great or useful, but that it is far better than the ugly black rubber fake brake vents Honda put in the bumper cover. Honda did not get that right the first time or the last.

It may be that in a few months I will forget about this Cusco fiasco and go back to finding a way to improve the cars handling. Seems there ought to be a way to tame the snap oversteer that does not include a bone rattling ride quality. Anyone have any suspension snake oil for sale? I'm the sucker that will buy it.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by sfkjeld View Post
... It may be that in a few months I will forget about this Cusco fiasco and go back to finding a way to improve the cars handling. Seems there ought to be a way to tame the snap oversteer that does not include a bone rattling ride quality. Anyone have any suspension snake oil for sale? I'm the sucker that will buy it.
I've been seriously considering installing a S2000 CR suspension in my car (front struts and springs, rear struts and springs , front sway bar, and rear swaybar). This is in keeping with your Honda got it right thinking.

Heres a article that was posted on the KW suspension site:

http://blog.kw-suspension.com/wp-con...k-shootout.pdf

Last edited by TTMartin; 11-28-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Chief Hata in Charge

I am of no help but I enjoyed reading your post

HUZZAH!!!!

Last edited by yashooa; 11-28-2010 at 10:48 AM. Reason: tHE Crack done got me
Old 11-28-2010, 11:16 AM

I'd only change the suspension if I was a track *****. Same with a supercharger.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:19 AM

Smile

Lol, bought my sk2 about 2 years ago, a few weeks after my very low mileage, but out of warranty Boxster S literally blew up on me while crossing a long narrow bridge. Nightmarish, but that's a different opera.

So I buy my 2002 AP1 with 15k on the clock thinking, "ok, it is probably fast enough, relatively inexpensive to buy, and I won't suffer the cardiac arrest at the repair shop and parts counter as i had so many times with my previous p-cars and Lotus. (the estimate to repair the Boxster was $16k).

And of course, there is a decent aftermarket for upgrades, which is usually a lot of the fun in owning a sportscar. Then I stumble onto this forum and see lots of ideas for performance upgrades. But it seems in most threads, someone is always posting "Honda got it right the first time". I dismissed that of course and have gone on to "upgrade" a variety of parts. And you know what, as for performance upgrades, Honda pretty much got it right the first time!

Ran with an Invidia exhaust for about 20mins, swapped in different springs a few times and am still thinking about going back to stock. AEM intake for a few days, until I figured "what's the point?". My latest and dumbest, met a guy with a tricked out S2k a few weeks ago who claimed his Cusco rear upper sway bar improved his handling more than anything. I even looked at it in his trunk and saw the spare was gone. Found a cheap one on Craigslist and read thru the forums yesterday (should have read them before buying). The bars are useless and you can't carry the spare. Once again.... Honda got it right the first time.

The only performance upgrade I have found that worked was going from 16 to 17" stock rims. Honda got it right in that case with the AP2. There are some non performance upgrades that have worked out. The stereo (no brainer). I am also fond of the fog light upgrade. Not that they are so great or useful, but that it is far better than the ugly black rubber fake brake vents Honda put in the bumper cover. Honda did not get that right the first time or the last.

It may be that in a few months I will forget about this Cusco fiasco and go back to finding a way to improve the cars handling. Seems there ought to be a way to tame the snap oversteer that does not include a bone rattling ride quality. Anyone have any suspension snake oil for sale? I'm the sucker that will buy it.

Well, the only complaint you have is about the fog light detail after two years of drivin the car, it aint all that bad eh sfkjeld ?
Old 11-28-2010, 02:13 PM

I think if you are gonna mod, what GOM did seems to be the way to go. He never brags it up to much, but that article he posted that was done on his car sure did. There are a lot of things to buy, but I think you should have a comprehensive plan to marry it all together to get the most bang for your buck and performance.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:14 PM
"Enjoy the drive"

Make the brake ducts functional.
Unhook you rear sway bar or slow down. That will solve your snap oversteer problem.

That about covers it.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by ZigZag View Post
I think if you are gonna mod, what GOM did seems to be the way to go. He never brags it up to much, but that article he posted that was done on his car sure did. There are a lot of things to buy, but I think you should have a comprehensive plan to marry it all together to get the most bang for your buck and performance.

Link to article:
https://www.s2000.com/forums/off-top...on-my-car.html
Old 11-28-2010, 04:07 PM

A CR suspension, eh? All Honda,check. A chance to spend $$ I'll never see again, check. Have no bloody idea whether it will work, check.

Ok, I am in!
Old 11-28-2010, 06:45 PM

A CR suspension, eh? All Honda,check. A chance to spend $$ I'll never see again, check. Have no bloody idea whether it will work, check.

Ok, I am in!
Oh, don't forget the S2000 CR uses a 255/40ZR17 rear tire (on the standard AP2 rear wheel). Front is the same as other AP2s 215/45ZR17.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:20 PM
Seņor Member

(1) More front roll stiffness
(2) Wider rear tires
(3) 2 to 5 lbs more air pressure in rear tires than fronts
(4) Remove weight from rear of car

Any of these should reduce oversteer without lowering your limits. Your car might actually be slower around a track with less oversteer but will feel more stable at the limit. Since most people like the look of wider tires at the back that might be the way to go.

Personally I don't plan to change a thing except better/ stickier tires than the Kumhos that my AP2 came with from the dealer. I grew up on motocross bikes so I love the drift.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by backusstudio View Post
(2) Wider rear tires
3.) 2 to 5 psi LESS air in the rears. Increasing tire pressure in the rear would increase oversteer.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:40 PM

Yeah, higher psi seems counter intuitive. Otherwise, larger stickier contact patch always helps. God knows that is the only reason 911's finish a lap. As for track time vs sense of stability? Yup, I'll take the latter. I am a stability *****. Don't let it get around.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Seņor Member

Yeah, higher psi seems counter intuitive.
Everyone on this forum keeps arguing this point with me. I checked the Tire Rack and they agree with what I've always done.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=58

I've always used higher rear pressures on my rear engine cars and higher front pressures on my muscle cars. You can feel the difference immediately. Don't exceed the maximum recommended pressure on the sidewall.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Senior Member, Literally

The car is one of the best balanced that I've ever driven and I've owned and driven a few. The back end comes around because of the way it's driven. I've found running the back tires a couple of lbs. lower does give a bit more bite. For Honda engineering it was a labor of love. You can do a couple of things to make it track ready, brakes, rotors, etc. For the street it's a great driving car. The best thing is to work on driving smoothly rather than flinging it around corners. Also, tires are a large factor with this car.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:57 PM

The way I understood it was if you want more over steer you increase the rear psi and to increase under steer you increase the front psi. The lower the psi the more the tire can flex or roll and therefor creating more grip. If the rear grips more(lower psi) it won't kick out as easy. If the front grips less(higher psi) that'll create more under steer. What am I missing??
Old 11-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Hybrid Hater

Everyone on this forum keeps arguing this point with me. I checked the Tire Rack and they agree with what I've always done.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=58

I've always used higher rear pressures on my rear engine cars and higher front pressures on my muscle cars. You can feel the difference immediately. Don't exceed the maximum recommended pressure on the sidewall.
Alright I know we talked about this before but I was not disagreeing with you. To my understanding you are right. Increasing tire pressure increases steering response and handling at speed. But it also makes the car more prone to sudden loss of grip. What I mean is although the grip level may be higher due to higher psi grip is lost more quickly due to a smaller contact patch.

Now the point I made in the past that I think you were interpreting I was disagreeing with you is this: Now the faster you drive the more your tires heat up. With high performance and track tires the more heat they have (without overheating) the more grip you will have. The tires will be sticker and the heat will cause the psi to rise on its own. However the more psi you start with the slower your tiers will heat up and the cooler they will run. The lower the psi the faster the tires will heat up and the hotter they will run. Also is the opposite with the steering response and loss of grip. Slower loss of grip and slower steering response.

So of course the trick is to find the perfect number for your driving style and for the tires that you have. What is it? Well how should I know? You have to experiment on your own. Just dont kill yourself doing it.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:42 PM
Hybrid Hater

(2) Wider rear tires
1. I agree with roll stiffness, however adding it to only one end will decrease grip at the end of the car where roll stiffness is added due to more weight transfer.
2. I agree with wider tires. Wider tires create better steering response and sideways grip due to smaller but wider contact patch.
3. I agree to a point. This depends on the car greatly and the pressure and size of front tires.
4. I disagree in some ways with removing weight. Removing weight makes you lose grip but increases steering response. Think of the porsche with that engine in the back it gets of the line faster than most AWD cars. Because of all the rear weight on its tires it has tons of grip at the rear. Some of you have/did have porsche cars so back me on that.

Last edited by 0tyrael0; 11-28-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:44 PM
Hybrid Hater

Also the information I have has bee well researched both from online and in person. It comes from what I know about cars and what I know about science. Again both in person and online. If I am wrong, you disagree, or I did not phrase something correctly dont come at me all fire and brimstone. No need to be rude.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:32 PM
Seņor Member

Originally Posted by 0tyrael0 View Post
Also the information I have has bee well researched both from online and in person. It comes from what I know about cars and what I know about science. Again both in person and online. If I am wrong, you disagree, or I did not phrase something correctly dont come at me all fire and brimstone. No need to be rude.
0-t-0,

Hey I'm not going to get mad at you. I look forward to your posts. We can disagree without getting pissy with each other.

The thing that confuses everyone on this tire pressure issue is that roll stiffness is being confused with the adhesion curve of the tire. There is an optimal inflation pressure for any tire. It's usually a pretty high number. (Refer to that Tire Rack chart again). If the tire is inflated to a lower pressure than optimal it has less grip. Someone made the point that you can get the same effect by overinflating and I'm sure that's true. The thing is that it's safer to get off of peak inflation by going down to the factory recommended 32 psi than it is to exceed the maximum sidewall inflation rating of the tire. So the overinflation method really isn't useful.

So, inflate the rears to 35 psi, drop the fronts to 32 psi, and the rears will grip better than the fronts. That's a fact, Jack. A tire that's gripping won't slide. If your tail is coming out and you don't like it this trick will help reduce that tendency. If you have a Mustang or other front biased vehicle swap the pressures. I run 35 psi on the fronts on my own big block Mustang and it really helps reduce understeer.

I don't expect people to believe this on my say so. Go do some reading on your own. A lot of folks seem uncomfortable with the way the S2K's tail will come out at the limit, especially if tossed abruptly into a tight curve. The wider meats on the back also work except that you can't change your tire pressures and rotate your tires. It sounds like some of you animals change your rear tires more often than your shorts so that may not be a problem.

The 911 traction/oversteer issue is confusing and seems contradictory but it's not. We can go into it another time.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:39 AM
THE STIG

Suspension upgrades, brakes and a supercharger is all you need. Forget most bolt-ons.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:27 AM
just havin' fun

I have used my little honda as testbed of sorts because of it already overall strong baseline performance. The Best upgrade per dollar spent was a front roll bar. Just take a look at a photo of any stock S2k going into a corner or watch a vid of one and notice how much body lean is there. Now here is why. As the front end bites the opposite rear tire lifts and you can understand the rest. So if you prevent the front end body roll, which is what a sway bar is designed to do, you can keep the rear wheel planted and you will go around a corner faster and with more control. Its that simple. Tire pressure is always important. I run 225/45-17 in the front with 35 psi, and 255/40-17 in the rear with 32 psi and with a Swift swaybar my car is very well behaved. The only problem is the loose nut at the control wheel. And as far as brake upgrades... Stock rotors with stock pads for any street driving or EBC"Red Stuff" (less dust) and for track EBC "Yellow Stuff" with brake cooling ducts. I can go on and on but I will stop now.

Last edited by will williams; 11-29-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:21 AM
Seņor Member

[QUOTE=will williams;150355The Best upgrade per dollar spent was a front roll bar. Now here is why. As the front end bites the opposite rear tire lifts and you can understand the rest. So if you prevent the front end body roll, which is what a sway bar is designed to do, you can keep the rear wheel planted and you will go around a corner faster and with more control. Its that simple. Tire pressure is always important. I run 225/45-17 in the front with 35 psi, and 255/40-17 in the rear with 32 psi and with a Swift swaybar my car is very well behaved. [/QUOTE]

I've seen your car on the forum before, Will. Beautiful ride.

Your larger diameter front sway bar reduces oversteer by forcing the front wheels to carry more of the cornering load of the vehicle. With more centrifugal force pushing the front tires the front tires will tend to break loose in a corner before the rears.

Wider rear tires also reduce oversteer by spreading the rear cornering load over a larger area. Almost everyone gets this idea.

Since the S2K is pretty much perfectly balanced from the factory your tire and sway bar mods put the car into understeer mode. Running higher tire pressures at the front than the back corrects some of the imbalance created by the other mods by inducing a bit of oversteer.

The ideal thing to do is to run your tires at the optimal pressure for maximum adhesion. Since the S2K is 50/50 balanced there's no real reason to run wider tires at the rears or to run different pressures front and rear. A good adjustable sway bar at the front should be plenty to do any reasonable tuning to a S2K.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:18 AM
just havin' fun

You are correct. To put it a little different. By switching to a stiffer front sway bar, you are adjusting the car to lean toward a understeer condition. The AP1 is more tail happy then the AP2 so the affect of a stiffer sway bar will be more noticable and cause the car to be more netural . But I must say this, the S2K is fine just the way she is "stock", the changes I have made were for my own liking and may not be what others like.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:36 AM
Seņor Member

Originally Posted by will williams View Post
You are correct. To put it a little different. By switching to a stiffer front sway bar, you are adjusting the car to lean toward a understeer condition. The AP1 is more tail happy then the AP2 so the affect of a stiffer sway bar will be more noticable and cause the car to be more netural . But I must say this, the S2K is fine just the way she is "stock", the changes I have made were for my own liking and may not be what others like.
+1
Old 11-29-2010, 09:51 AM
S2000.com Sponsor

snap oversteer? its a short RWD car with a fair amount of power considering its weight, thats how they handle!

it isnt a problem with the car, its a problem with the driver.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Seņor Member

Originally Posted by turbosix View Post
snap oversteer? its a short RWD car with a fair amount of power considering its weight, thats how they handle!

I've never driven an AP1 but I can say that the stock AP2 does not snap oversteer. If you manhandle the car into a sharp turn the tail comes out. I found the slides predictable and controllable with both steering and throttle. I do it on purpose in slower corners just because it's fun!
Old 11-29-2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by will williams View Post
preach it will preach!!!

even earlier year ap2's still are a little more twitchy in back. the '08-'09 models seem (for lack of a better word) more refined.

that being said, i've grown to really appreciate the CR setup after logging some behind the wheel time in my '08 std. model.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by turbosix View Post

yup, it's happened to me several times. issue was me (noob), not car
Old 11-29-2010, 04:48 PM
Hybrid Hater

I've seen your car on the forum before, Will. Beautiful ride.

Your larger diameter front sway bar reduces oversteer by forcing the front wheels to carry more of the cornering load of the vehicle. With more centrifugal force pushing the front tires the front tires will tend to break loose in a corner before the rears.

Wider rear tires also reduce oversteer by spreading the rear cornering load over a larger area. Almost everyone gets this idea.

Since the S2K is pretty much perfectly balanced from the factory your tire and sway bar mods put the car into understeer mode. Running higher tire pressures at the front than the back corrects some of the imbalance created by the other mods by inducing a bit of oversteer.

The ideal thing to do is to run your tires at the optimal pressure for maximum adhesion. Since the S2K is 50/50 balanced there's no real reason to run wider tires at the rears or to run different pressures front and rear. A good adjustable sway bar at the front should be plenty to do any reasonable tuning to a S2K.
Indeed
Old 11-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Hybrid Hater

With better and wider tires plus aftermarket springs I have reduced the chance of oversteer but when the tail goes it goes even faster than before. I do think honda got it right the first time for the most part. The stock car is excellent but like will said the changes I have made were to my own liking. Other may not enjoy. It actually kinda amazes me when I think of how my car used to handle compared to now. Its quite different the corners.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:17 PM

Well, first off, the S2k may have 50/50 balance, but I do not consider it's handling as spectacular. And I am not talking about the tail coming around. That will happen with any RWD car (pretty hard to do with my S2 Elan). I am talking about the recovery. Hence, the "snap". Scary. But It is also not something I lose sleep over. The tail has not come around on me unless I invited it since I spun my '62 Alfa in 1973.

As for the tire pressure question. One nice thing for me is, I can try every theory for free! Oh wait, does anyone have a $500 anti spin out tire gauge?