Java's Just Drivin' A place to talk about the joys of driving the S2000

So, Whudd'll'itt be, Stranger?

Old 11-05-2010, 01:59 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

So, Whudd'll'itt be, Stranger?

'We seem'da be rife wit' pollz'a late.
So maybe'idd'izz . . . 'n maybe'idd'izzn't.
But, only one ding.
Whutt'z'da one ding'yuh mos' enjoy abou'cher relationship wit' Stewie?

D'yuh like sittin' back in'a lawn chair widd'a col' one, admirin' yer work when Stewie'z all freshly washed'n waxed?

D'yuh like gettin'agedda widd'udda Stewianz in parkin' lottz?

Samey-same, but'da go fer ridez?

'N'eeze ain't categoriez, okay?

Roll'yer'own.

Me?
Ain'no purpose'da life wit' Stewie on God'z green earth udda'n'da be attackin' chicanez wit' moxie. ('N, no. moxie ain't my girl, or my dog.)
Old 11-05-2010, 02:07 AM

Its too soon for me to tell, really. I'm still basking in the glow of a very recent purchase. I keep thinking, 'Don't pinch myself, because I may only be dreaming.'
Old 11-05-2010, 02:34 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Well, if I may be so bold . . that smile on'yer kisser'z'da infamous "Stewie Grin".
Idd'll have yer family'n frien'z puttin'a liddle distance twixt you'n'em, wimmenfolk hustlin'eir kiddz'da'da udda side'a'da street when yuh come walkin' by'n doggz growlin'n similarly carryin' on in'yer presence.

'S'all normal go, 'n not nothin'a be concernin' yerself with.

'S'jus'a normal occurance when'yer "with" Stewie. (Dough . . havin'a topp dropped izz'a major factor.)
Bes'a luck wi'cher new ride.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:43 AM

Its like "James Bond" secret weapon, you own it but yer don;t want to show it off !
Just nice to have it in your pocket !
Old 11-05-2010, 05:02 AM

Mine is my daily driver, so I don't know what category I fit into. I hate washing cars so I don't fit that one. I'm probably the only one around for 50 miles so getting together with others is not a viable option. Going on group drives hmmm been on one and I didn't really enjoy it. I don't much care for playing follow the leader. I like talking to other stewie owners and seeing their cars. Tough call for what niche I fit into. How bout grumpy old retired military who owns a stewie, I believe I might belong to this group.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:57 AM

I'm with Sailor.....I drive it alot, dd it as the weather permits, and ain't much for shinin' it up all too often. There's a huge purple splotch of bird$hit down one side of it right now..Hoping the rain takes care of it.

I can count on my fingers how many other S2000s I've seen in the three years since I've owned mine. (although I have driven 4 different ones in that time.....people just hand me the keys, what can I say ? )

I'm not all that old or particularly grumpy.....Yet. gimme time.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:16 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

By the pa'arz! I should'a know'd.
By any chance, might you swabbz'a taken notice'a that "N'eeze ain't categoriez, okay?" part? Might'n't'yuh?
They be more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual categories.

Itt'z na' tryin'a have us sailin'a same waterz'z we have many'a time'a'fore sayz I.

The quest be for that one thing that be yer reason fer bein'a Stewian.

Aye, bu'cher'a tough crew ta play to.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:12 AM
THE STIG

The feeling of having the top down and enjoying the pleasures of driving (when people aren't annoying you).
Old 11-07-2010, 02:14 PM

Since I'm retired I really don't have to go very many places and to keep fit I walk, hike, ride my bike and ski (can't drive my red car in the snow). So... so when I can drive the red car I get a lot of fun out of thinking up the long way to get to places so I can enjoy the ride. Another thing: Since it's so dangerous on the highways these days I try to drive fast so that I spend less time on those dangerous roads. It's worked so far.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:52 PM

What I like about my S is taking it out first thing on a weekend morning lately. I live in Phoenix and it has been so damn hot you can't put the top down without dehydrating. Today, it was a cool 65 degrees at 7:30am and I enjoyed catching the wind with my left hand. Unfortunately it is all straight roads in this grid lined city. I look forward to taking some future trips up north where the roads get twisty. Even after 8 months of ownership I still grin and enjoy this car too damn much!

Every now and then I have to use the girls 03 Accord to pick up random sh$#(because the S has limited room). I sometimes forget when I have her car at work and get real excited to leave work only to realize "damn I have the Accord today!!!!" The S is so much fun I'd rather almost walk home than drive the Accord. This is a bit of a ramble, but damn me and Stewie have a great relationship!
Old 11-09-2010, 10:03 AM
normal aspiration

tl;dr

i must first make a confession. i enjoy driving well maintained automobiles. no matter what it is, if i can get in it, and figure out what it can do, and what i can do with it, i am happy. i grew up on volkswagens and had a lot of fun with them, within their limitations. i do not care to drive pieces of shix.

my second confession is that i have a mistress. a mechanical mistress. bb. i am in love. she is so fine. on the open road, with curves aplenty, i am blissed.

i am not an expert driver. some of you are much more skilled than me. i have had two instances of driving instruction. driver's education as a child where i was taught to be defensive, and another schooling where we drove late 70s chevy impalas with 350s and were taught to be aggressive within reason. i am a very defensive driver, always on the lookout for idiots and escape routes, but i also like to be aggressive in avoiding those idiots and trouble.

i live in an area of beautiful farmland with lots of dirt roads. we have plenty of asphalt, too, and for the most part it is well maintained. you can make all of the redneck jokes you want, but georgia keeps their roads in good shape. atlanta may be an exception, but for the most part those roads are ok as well.

another thing about where i live is that the traffic is minimal. you have plenty of freedom to drive. the u.s. and georgia state highways are where the state patrol concentrate their efforts. on those roads one behaves. you rarely see them on the county roads. there are not many county police and they are seen infrequently. they do have their spots where they set up and run radar looking for violators, but again, it is usually on the main highways.

i do have a favorite thing to do with bb. we have frequent visitors from the big city, mostly people who have never seen bb and have no idea of what she is. they think, "hmmm, a civic with a drop top." this is where the fun begins. most folks are glad to go for a drive, top down, hair blowing in the breeze. easy money.

we walk out to the barn and roll the doors back. bb sits there gleaming, oh, i wish she did; right now she is bug bespattered and dirty.

i pop the hood. the men want to inspect the engine bay and i want to check the oil. usually there is a comment about how "big it is for a four-cylinder." i just let it slide. i check the tire pressure and we slip inside. i push the red button, let the clutch out in neutral to spin the transmission, engage reverse and back out; back to neutral, slip up the hand brake a notch or two, release the top latches and ease the top back. select a disc? sometimes. i like to crank up roadhouse blues by the doors to set the mood. "keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel. keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel."

we leave the driveway headed north at about 35-40 mph to warm everything up; then the cruise control at 65 to the crossroads, passing the dairy, and the cattle in the grassy fields. the road is hilly and scenic. then back to the east and the little town nearest the homestead. lots of good curves enroute to the town. all can be take at 80 or more if you wanted, except for one where a house sits off the road in the apex. i don't like to drive fast past the driveways. it is a small place and people will take that stuff personal. i don't like folks to fly by my house. do unto others... we run about 65 until the speed limit changes to 45 and then to 35. we arrive in town and the single traffic light which invariably is red. the town has one police officer but he is good at traffic. all the while we have been at less than 5000 rpm.

we leave the intersection still headed east. a short drive later and we make a left onto a favorite county road headed north.

the dash of the S2000 has received a lot of criticism. it looks too 90s. it looks like a video game. it is not analog. it is too orange. be that as it may. if you are drivin', all you have to do is glance and bat an eye and you have a lock on the rpm and speed. to me it is a beautiful thing. i also like the speedo being so large; the passenger gets an eagle-eye view.

we are now traveling north at 60 mph in 5th gear on two-lane blacktop with a double yellow line. everything is very sedate. we take a couple of left hand sweepers easily. we approach another curve, a bit tighter than the sweepers. i downshift to 4th--rpm right at 5000, holding 60. we are through the curve when suddenly the asphalt bends slightly to the left; a yellow diamond sign shows a 90˚ curve to the right--the small rectangular sign below it showing the suggested speed reads 25 mph. recall the eagle-eye view. the road straightens momentarily and i shift to 3rd gear, 60 mph and 6200 rpm, the cusp of vtec. the tone of the engine has changed to that slightly excited sound. we are slightly down hill in the inside lane with an excellent view of what is in front of us all through the curve. a rapid glance at the dash, rear-view and the curve. got to make sure we are clear and that no hay wagons or tractors will impede the carving of this corner while there is still time to abort. this happens quickly and i pick the line, ease bb into it, careful to keep a feather touch on the gas--this is no time to back off and lift the throttle. that would be a disaster. we hit the apex, then pedal to the floor, full vtec, bb now a roaring little monster, a quick shift to 4th and we are gone, now heading back east at 85. i ease back a bit to crest the hill and then jump back on the gas for a short moment. i ease off, catch my breath and hope my passenger seat is not too puckered.

this does sound dangerous but i am sure you good drivers could whip it through this curve at 75 if all was clear and you could use both lanes safely. i try to keep it within my limits. i cannot safely reach bb's limits. this is about as good as i can do. i have been cursed for this little trick and i do keep some cold beer in the fridge for when we get back. i don't think anyone has ever turned one down.

bb

Last edited by bbcricketta; 11-09-2010 at 03:21 PM. Reason: cleaning up my passenger seat...
Old 11-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Mr. Riley Wilson

Great story BB!
Old 11-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Oh yeah!
Your still'z definitely churnin' out'da good stuff!

'Real nice read beeb.
Thanks.
Aaaay! We went'da different schoolz dagedda!

('N wuzz'att ol' Milly Sue sittin'on'a FarmAll bouncy-seat?)
Old 11-09-2010, 01:18 PM

The best thing about the s2000 is when you go for an afternoon drive, and every time you see someone else driving one they smile/wave at you. Not sure many other car owners are as friendly
Old 11-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Mr. Riley Wilson

Originally Posted by Java Junky View Post

Aaaay! Wewent'da different schoolz dagedda!
OK JJ, now you're stealing album titles to show your age and experience! Remember, I'm a Pittsburgh boy and grew up with the Jaggerz!

I suppose you also go by "The Rapper" too?

I am still trying to get a handle on my excitement each and every time I get around my S2k.............
Old 11-09-2010, 04:30 PM
cone destroyer

i would have to say i am of the group that drives his lady every day and then on the weekends drivers her to the auto-x, drivers her like a red headed step child, then drives her back home.....come monday morning raise the garage door, sees that she is smiling back at me ready to start the week all over again.....side note, with my new supercharger, she's even more FUN!!!
Old 11-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Holy *****'uv recorded speed eventz!
Da Pack'izz back!
Old 11-10-2010, 04:01 AM
normal aspiration

Originally Posted by Charlie Croker View Post
OK JJ, now you're stealing album titles to show your age and experience! Remember, I'm a Pittsburgh boy and grew up with the Jaggerz!

I suppose you also go by "The Rapper" too?

I am still trying to get a handle on my excitement each and every time I get around my S2k.............
hate to break it to ya charlie but...the phrase "we went to different schools together" precedes the jaggers; and so does jj. jj prolly never ever head of the jaggs. he also prolly thinks the rapper is a rap song. if jj was gonna steal an album title it would prolly be come fly with me.

and that excitement...it don't really ever go away. kinda like pullin' yer first tooth.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:33 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Geez beeb!
Steal my thunda why'don'cha?
CC . . 'di'n't know'datt an ol' catch-phrase'd been ripped-off'da become somebodyz (Da Jaggerz?????) lack'a-imagination album title.
'Kine'a memba'a song called'da Rappa . . kine'a.
'N'iff'I wuzz imagination-impaired'n hadda borra from album titlez . . . like'diss t'read ('n like pack'n CC) my choyce'd godda be . . .
"When'yer Smilin".
'Cauze when'yuh come right down too'itt . . 'z'long'z I've been drivin' Stewie . . d'ol' girl still hazz me grinnin' like'a fool.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:43 AM

So, I am not completely sure that this fits exactly into what JJ had in mind for this thread as he stated “Whutt'z'da one ding'yuh mos' enjoy abou'cher relationship wit' Stewie?”, as most of the comments have been about driving her hopefully this still fits into the category. Now don’t get me wrong I get the greatest smiles when we are moving through the twisties, I know this car can do more than I currently have the skills, I know that I will continue to learn what both she and I are capable of handling and pushing to the edge. But without a doubt the one thing I enjoy about my relationship with Stewie is being so very proud!

I am proud to own such a fine car, proud that she is a high quality car that will last a very long time, in fact I could make this a list too long about how proud I am to own such a wonderful machine. Proud..........

However, it wasn’t until a week or so ago that I realized how proud I am of this car. I had a business dinner and was meeting the Sales Rep at Sullivan’s Steak House in King of Prussia, PA. Realizing that most of the readers are not from the area, I need to fill in a little background information. Sullivan’s is a Steak House chain similar to a Morton’s or a Ruth’s Chris. At this particular Sullivan’s, the way the building and parking lot are set up, they have two area’s for the Valet Parking. For the expensive cars they park them directly across from the main entrance to the restaurant. The regular cars just go into the parking lot away from the building. I have seen many an expensive Mercedes, 700 series BMW’s, on occasion a Ferrari, often a Bentley and Maserati parked in the limited spots across from the main entrance. Clearly they park them out front for multiple reasons including safety as well as the ability to make the place look upscale.

Sorry about the detour, but needed the background to finish up the story, so I pull up last week and am greeted by the Valet, He says “Great day sir, hope your day has gone well” which I reply, “Well I’m driving my favorite car, which is a lot of fun! So yes having a great day.” He looks at me and says, “I will take good care of her for you.” As I walk into the restaurant I turned and look to see him carefully back my Stewie into the special area with the upscale expensive cars.

Now that makes an owner proud! Proud to know that at least on that night at that resturant Stewie was given repsect!

Did I also mention that I am proud to take turns well above the posted limit knowing that she can handle it, or did I mention how proud I am when…………….
Old 11-10-2010, 08:28 AM
normal aspiration

don't let your pride turn into hubris. you know what they say...

good story...did you tip well when you picked her up?
Old 11-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Mr. Riley Wilson

It was 1969 - 70 ish What else would you expect?

Last edited by Charlie Croker; 11-10-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post
don't let your pride turn into hubris. you know what they say...

good story...did you tip well when you picked her up?

BB - Good Point, I will make sure I don't get out of control, and yes he got a generous tip, plus since 2 guys were working the valet parking I waited until the guy who parked it was available to go bring up so that he got the tip.

This was the first time I had the Stewie out at a place with Valet parking, now that I think about it I should have tipped dropping off and picking it up.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:34 AM
normal aspiration

Originally Posted by Red Fun for 2 View Post
BB - Good Point, I will make sure I don't get out of control, and yes he got a generous tip, plus since 2 guys were working the valet parking I waited until the guy who parked it was available to go bring up so that he got the tip.

This was the first time I had the Stewie out at a place with Valet parking, now that I think about it I should have tipped dropping off and picking it up.

ahhhhh...i never tip when i drop it off. only when i pick it up and it is unscratched and delivered promptly.

i hardly ever let the varlet park my car; any of 'em, and especially bb. i don't mind walkin'.

bb

Last edited by bbcricketta; 11-10-2010 at 10:34 AM. Reason: oh, an'...we's all proud!
Old 11-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Diddo'da'datt beeb.
Only once had one'a'dem valet-fellerz try'da take Stewiez keyz. Kine'a bline-sided me. Innerestin' situation.
I did quickly bring'da guy back upright'n dust off'izz liddle jacket for'im.
'N'en'ey allowed me da go'n park my car. Gimme'a @*#&in' break, okay?
Damn few people got my okay'da drive Stewie'n'ee sure'z hell wuzzn' one'uv'em.
I don'nee'no steenkin' valetz.

(Yeah. Mama don'take me out much.)
Old 11-13-2010, 04:52 AM

own it - enjoy it

kenneth haft

glen allen
Old 11-13-2010, 06:51 AM
Hybrid Hater

What I love most about my s2000 it is a symbol of my freedom. There are so few things left in this world that allow us to truly feel free. My s2000 makes me feel free. Its not just a sports car or a possession. It is a symbol of what I can do with my own free will. It is a beautiful, fast, and unique car that will always have a special place in my heart. I bought the car when I could barley afford anything let alone an s2000. But I worked hard to keep it even though it was only making my life harder. But it is what made it all worth the while when I had nothing else. It is a symbol of my hard work. It shows I got something in return. For the most part it is completely impractical compared to many other cars. But because I can own it regardless of its faults is what makes it special to me. Driving it makes me feel like I can do anything or go anywhere. It reminds me that the small things are make your life a happy one.