Java's Just Drivin' A place to talk about the joys of driving the S2000

2 '08 s2k's

Old 10-07-2010, 01:10 AM

2 '08 s2k's

i just got home so here's the story of my night:

after a few months of searching, i'm the proud new owner of a 2008 laguna blue s2000. bought it from a dealer in OK, had it shipped out to Fresno. went after work today to pick it up, then went to BJ's (mmmm root beer and pizookie), then drove home.

i've never driven my CR in the rain, so there was a fair amount of trepidation driving the 2 1/2 hours home. fresno til 298 (hanford) no rain, then rain came down. felt the back end slip a little so definitely slowed it down. stopped off in kettleman city to get some gas, then soon as i passed the 198 (avenal/coalinga), rain finally stopped.

the '08 laguna blue has 15k miles on it, still on the orig. RE050's. took hwy 41 all the way back, soon as i passed the 46/41 junction into shandon, never saw another car all the way back til the 101. hwy 41 + no cars = all kinds of fun. it's a great twisty road and i immediately fell in love with the car. AMAZING drive. haven't driven my CR in a week and a half but didn't take long to get used to the std. s2k and rip it up. heel toe shifting was easy, never missed a shift, gearbox was smooth as silk. amazing!

ok so the radio has to have the code reset so i drove the 160 miles back in silence. so gave me a lot of time to think and enjoy.

std. s2k: love the retractable roof. even though it was raining, right before i got home i put the roof down. it's a really smooth and quiet ride.

CR: hard top for the most part is a 2 person job to take off and on. it's noticeably louder inside a CR. gearbox is a lot rougher (i've missed a few shifts on it). maybe it's 'cause it still needs to be broken in. i dunno. but the gearbox in the std. s2k is so smooth. i know the gearbox in the CR has shorter shifts which isn't a huge deal, but you notice it more in the turning radius. CR you turn just a little bit and that thing just dives into turns. the CR allows you to take more aggressive lines and there's definitely less body roll.

std. s2k is just all around smooth. (i know redundant statement but that's what really sticks out to me).

both are super fun and i know i'm super fortunate to be able to drive both. tomorrow the laguna blue is going to the mechanic to get it looked over and then to DMV if i have time to get it registered. then off to southern california this weekend to run with rmurphy. then handing the keys over to my dad =)

i'll post up pics when i get a chance
Old 10-07-2010, 01:25 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by LTWU View Post
it's noticeably louder inside a CR. gearbox is a lot rougher (i've missed a few shifts on it). maybe it's 'cause it still needs to be broken in. i dunno. but the gearbox in the std. s2k is so smooth. i know the gearbox in the CR has shorter shifts which isn't a huge deal, but you notice it more in the turning radius. CR you turn just a little bit and that thing just dives into turns. the CR allows you to take more aggressive lines and there's definitely less body roll.
I also have a CR and a "base" model S2k and my experiences with the CR gearbox are exactly the opposite of yours. The shifts in the CR match the smoothness of my '04. I also find the interior of the CR quieter than the '04. I agree with the turning and body lean with the CR. I picked up about 5mph through turns with the CR over the '04. This picture is from the DBRX at the end of September.

Name:  DBRX-2.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  36.0 KB

I don't have any pix of the '04 but other cars going through the Dragon definitely display more body lean than the CR. Welcome to the 2 S2K family. Makes choosing a car a 1000 times more difficult.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:15 AM
THE STIG

Congrats!!
Old 10-07-2010, 09:35 AM
EYECELLEM

Congrats, LTWU. The base has a retuned (less aggressive) exhaust silencer. Do you notice a difference in exhaust sound? 10mm narrower tires in the back and a spare tire, round out the differences.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:18 AM

Sweet man. I've considered selling my MK2 GTI and buying an S2K as a DD. I just can't bring myself to sell my supersweet, track-prepped retro hot-hatch; especially considering the parking situation in SF.

Besides, it's considerably more satisfying chasing down 911's in the corners of HWY1 in my little rabbit than in my CR.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by kgf3076 View Post
I also have a CR and a "base" model S2k and my experiences with the CR gearbox are exactly the opposite of yours. The shifts in the CR match the smoothness of my '04. I also find the interior of the CR quieter than the '04. I agree with the turning and body lean with the CR.
hmmm was there a breaking in period for your CR gearbox or was it smooth right out of the box? i bought my CR in feb. of this year, had been sitting on the lot since sept '07. so i was like uhhh does the clutch fluid need to be changed but they were like it's fine. but yah CR gearbox definitely not buttery smooth.

and you find the interior of the CR quieter? haha wow all the way home last night i was like, "wow! this is soooooo quiet compared to my CR" and was thinking about how much more my wife would love the base model over the CR (complains about the noise).
Old 10-07-2010, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn1 View Post
Congrats, LTWU. The base has a retuned (less aggressive) exhaust silencer. Do you notice a difference in exhaust sound? 10mm narrower tires in the back and a spare tire, round out the differences.
oh yah! the CR definitely has a rumble in the rear (pretty sexy one, too). but even just driving aggressive, i was expecting a roar from engine and it was muffled. in the CR you hear it front and back.

and oh yah . . . . when i'm in vtec in the base model, there's no blinking green light i was looking for it the first time i hit it. and was wondering why it wasn't lighting up. duuuuuh
Old 10-07-2010, 11:51 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

hmmm was there a breaking in period for your CR gearbox or was it smooth right out of the box? i bought my CR in feb. of this year, had been sitting on the lot since sept '07. so i was like uhhh does the clutch fluid need to be changed but they were like it's fine. but yah CR gearbox definitely not buttery smooth.
Very strange, it's been very smooth since I bought it. Did you by any chance change the shift **** or are you still using the stock ****? I noticed that when I changed to the Voodoo ****, the shifting was a bit tighter (for lack of a better word).

and you find the interior of the CR quieter? haha wow all the way home last night i was like, "wow! this is soooooo quiet compared to my CR" and was thinking about how much more my wife would love the base model over the CR (complains about the noise).
Except for the creaking from the top when it's cold, my CR is quiet enough (even with Mugen exhaust) that I can actually hear my music. With the top down on the '04, there's no way. With the top up, it's relatively quiet but the CR is still somewhat quieter. (actually, my '04 was the recipient of the original CR cat-back so that may explain some of the noise.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:34 PM

just a thought but if the cr was sittin for a couple years maybe the upper windshield moulding hasnt been serviced/lubed and has dried out that would cause hella noise.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:02 PM

Since the CR suspension is not as stiff as Mugen NZ Dampers abd with the addition of Swift Sway Bars. I have no body roll and the car never misses a step wet or dry. It becomes the tires which have the biggest influence on the grip. So I would wager a set of RE-011's would make a big difference on your CR's and when my RE-01R's are gone, RE-11's are the next logical step.

Jonathan
Old 10-07-2010, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by kgf3076 View Post
Very strange, it's been very smooth since I bought it. Did you by any chance change the shift **** or are you still using the stock ****? I noticed that when I changed to the Voodoo ****, the shifting was a bit tighter (for lack of a better word).

Except for the creaking from the top when it's cold, my CR is quiet enough (even with Mugen exhaust) that I can actually hear my music. With the top down on the '04, there's no way. With the top up, it's relatively quiet but the CR is still somewhat quieter. (actually, my '04 was the recipient of the original CR cat-back so that may explain some of the noise.
nope still stock ****. i've griped about it before so they have it on record, maybe i'll have 'em change the fluid.

haha yah orig. CR cat-back may explain it. there's no way a stock CR can be quieter than a stock "base" model.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by desmo4 View Post
So I would wager a set of RE-011's would make a big difference on your CR's and when my RE-01R's are gone, RE-11's are the next logical step.

Jonathan
yup, exactly what i was thinking. little cheaper than the stock RE-070's, too.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Got S2000?

Next time I purchase a set of rubbers, I may give the Hankook R-S3 a shot. They're cheap, and if I get 15k out of em' I'll be happy.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:22 PM

nice CR
Old 10-16-2010, 05:29 PM

here she is, sorry about the low quality (pic taken w/ my droid). right before my buddy and i broke her in on a particular awesome hwy up here!

ebay ad said that this car was PERFECT! (bob howard dodge in OK) uhhhh not so much. bought sight unseen which i know i took a huge gamble on here. had to replace a few parts.

passenger side front fender wheel was shredded. lot of clips missing, had to replace grill. but bumper was fine, probably just got it caught over a parking block or something. leather had a few scuffs in it so having to get that done as well. and came with a regular honda key (only 1) so of course had to pay for a master key that said S2000 on it. i know it costs bucko bucks, but still just had to have the key.

no major body work done but definitely had some dent removal done (more than a few plugs in the doors were missing or weren't OEM). learned a lot from my buddy (caretaker of the silver AP1) about what to look out for when buying a used car (well in particular S2000). might have to take some pics and start a thread for noobs and automotive ignorants like me.

differential fluid had never been changed, when my buddy checked it, said it was super clean. so obviously had never been driven hard. but the previous owner didn't really take care getting in and out of car, left portion of bottom of bucket seat has a noticeable crease in it, though i imagine that would've been inevitable.

all in all, still saved quite a bit of $ buying and shipping rather than buying in CA. ppl were asking exorbitant amts of $ for '08's here. and gained some extremely valuable info.

thanks to phil for posting on another thread how to get the radio code.

Last edited by LTWU; 10-16-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Got S2000?

You are a man of fine tastes, my friend
Old 10-16-2010, 09:37 PM

*takes bow* why thank you.

i must say, others may claim to have the fastest color, but laguna blue by far is the most gorgeous. i've run into a few other s2k owners in parking lots and they all compliment the color
Old 10-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Your welcome. It's good to see someone checking the old posts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.