Replacing the "Engine Start" button - S2000 Forums

Go Back  S2000 Forums > Technical > Interior / Audio / Electronics
Replacing the "Engine Start" button >

Replacing the "Engine Start" button

Old 03-07-2009, 03:44 PM

Hi all,

Just took delivery of a 2005 Rio Pearl Yellow S2000 and I'm very happy right now!

The car was pretty clean when I took delivery from the local Honda dealer, except that the red engine start button was pretty dirty, especially the white lettering.

Does anyone have any ideas of how best to clean up that lettering?

Also, does anyone know how difficult it would be to just replace it. I've found the unit replacement on ebay and it looks like just a plug / unplug kind of part.

Any thoughts or comments on either question would be appreciated!

Thanks,

DH
Old 03-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Varietas Delectat

Nice car...welcome

and your start button will clean up perfectly. Just take a little simple green on a wash cloth and it will come right off.

Check the cabin filter that's always filthy

fltsfshr
Old 03-07-2009, 05:25 PM

You carefully pry out the button and put in a replacement. They can be found all over ebay.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:50 PM

Thanks "fltsfshr" for the suggestions.

When I got my S2000 home from the dealer I noticed that the button was dirty, especially the white lettering.

I let it go for a few weeks until I had a decent weather day. So today I went out with a couple of pre-packaged alchohol wipes that I use for insulin injections. I have used these for years for small clean-ups around the house and car. They have a very mild solvent action and the liquid evaporates very quickly. They work great for removing dirt and grease in particular.

I very lightly wiped one across the start button and the alchohol pad came back almost solid red. I've never had one of these pads take the paint off of anything. Additionally, I would have thought that the red was inherent in the plastic button itself. It didn't appear like the red color was painted on.

To make matters worse, some of the loosened red coloring smeared over onto the white lettering so that now the white lettering is a pinkish color.

I was able to take a small modeler's fine tip applicator and got most of the red off the letters, but it still doesn't look that great and I'm now afraid to touch the red part with anything for fear more red will come off.

In light of all this I was thinking about just replacing the whole button unit (their inexpensive) but don't know how difficult it would be to install. If anyone has done this it would be very helpful to know how involved a job it would be to replace the unit.

Anyway, Sorry for the long post. I've never had simple rubbing alchohol that you use on your skin, remove paint or even loosen paint on anything.
I was pretty shocked when that pad came back red!

Thanks again for your kind suggestions. By the way, where is the cabin filter located?

DH
Old 03-07-2009, 05:55 PM

"Desmo4"

Thanks for replying to my post.

I found the whole engine start unit on ebay that looks like it plugs into the wiring harness behind the dash. Are you saying that I can just replace the red button portion of the unit? If so, how do you get the red button out? Does the replacement button just snap into place? Any suggestions on how to do this would be appreciated!

Thanks!!!

DH
Old 03-07-2009, 06:17 PM

Hey dhend you can't drive around with a F#$^in pink button man, change it quick or they'll be callin you .............well you know !!
Old 03-07-2009, 06:29 PM

Hey Neil,

I hear ya man! lol

dh
Old 03-08-2009, 09:48 AM
S2000.com Sponsor

reading this thread and taking no one's advice, i went outside today with an old toothbrush with a couple drops of water on it and cleaned my button in seconds.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:38 AM

Turbosix,

Thanks for reply!

My button's lettering looked too set in for just water, but in hindsight, I probably should have tried that first.

I still am somewhat surprised that a little household 70% rubbing alchohol lightly applied would take the red paint off. And it didn't look like paint to me, it looked more like the red coloring was molded into the plastic itself. Which made the red coming off on my alchohol pad even more surprising.

Anyway, thanks again for you helpful input.

dh
Old 03-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Varietas Delectat

On my 02 alcohol took the silver finish off the plastic around the console and dashboard too. Of course I was doing it on purpose. But you're right alcohol and the interior of an S don't get along.

The cabin filter is under the hood on the passenger side back by the windshield.

Name:  687.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  122.7 KB

Here's an old link for a diy http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php...ghlight=filter

fltsfshr
Old 03-08-2009, 06:04 PM

fltsfshr,

Thanks for the link on the diy for the cabin filter.

I went out again today (without alchohol pads) and used some very diluted simple green and a very soft old toothbrush and was able to clean up the mess I had made yesterday. The Start Button looks pretty good now and I'm now going to leave it alone.

Thanks again for your helpful comments!

DH